shape
carat
color
clarity

Now I really did it :((

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really like my ACA but the I is bothering me. I think it’s a low I. I have other I diamonds and they are whiter.

Joanne, is your ACA a GIA I because according to the experts here (I just found this out) GIA uses a master set that contains each grade that must be on the high side to be accepted. OK here's the exact quote:

" GIA Master Diamond sets are specially graded just for use as Master Color Grading tools. GIA rejects most diamond submitted to become Master stones. They only accept those which either meet one of two criteria of color situations. One, the color of each diamond in the set is at the high end of each grade. Such stones are named D-E-F-G, etc. Or two, diamonds near the bottom of a grade are issued split grades. This means they are graded D/E, E/F, F/G, etc Basically split grades are just above the border to the next lower color. The best and most desired Master Diamond sets are single color graded sets."

Re reading what you wrote it sounds as if your I might be AGS and not GIA. And anyway you know what you are seeing so it definitely sounds like a low I. What color would make you happy?

I am so sorry about your family trouble and sending you big (((hugs))).

Hi everyone else, I will be back tomorrow. Hope everyone is enjoying a beautiful day!

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joanne, is your ACA a GIA I because according to the experts here (I just found this out) GIA uses a master set that contains each grade that must be on the high side to be accepted. OK here's the exact quote:

" GIA Master Diamond sets are specially graded just for use as Master Color Grading tools. GIA rejects most diamond submitted to become Master stones. They only accept those which either meet one of two criteria of color situations. One, the color of each diamond in the set is at the high end of each grade. Such stones are named D-E-F-G, etc. Or two, diamonds near the bottom of a grade are issued split grades. This means they are graded D/E, E/F, F/G, etc Basically split grades are just above the border to the next lower color. The best and most desired Master Diamond sets are single color graded sets."

Re reading what you wrote it sounds as if your I might be AGS and not GIA. And anyway you know what you are seeing so it definitely sounds like a low I. What color would make you happy?

I am so sorry about your family trouble and sending you big (((hugs))).

Hi everyone else, I will be back tomorrow. Hope everyone is enjoying a beautiful day!

Thank you Missy. XO
My ACA is an AGS..I don’t think I‘ve ever seen a GIA certified Whiteflash diamond. I know they say they have both...but in my search for what I’m looking for they’ve all been AGS. Libby is a AGS G..Every appraiser that has seen it has said it’s closer to an F. I won’t go below a G. There‘s one diamond that’s a F VS2 but it has numerous clouds which scare me. Libby’s clarity plot is so clean that I’m spoiled. She’s a VS1 but all her inclusions are small and at the edge. She looks like crystal clear water when you look down on her from the top..I’m wondering if the clarity ratings are getting looser...Trying to find one with a clean plot in the size I want is difficult. I’m not ready to buy yet anyway. I need to see what I have to work with in January after my birthday..haha..

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
GM lovely ladies!

@Bayek it’s coming along and looking great ❤️ Hang in there. You’re almost there. What a journey. Thank you for the pics. Makes me feel as if I’m there.

The endocrinologist finally got back to Greg. He said yes, it’s unusual for a man Greg’s age to have bone loss. And perhaps it’s a “touch of” hyperparathyroidism. And he is going to call Greg’s urologist but most likely will just repeat the bone density in a year. Ummm no I don’t like that waiting option. And WTH... “touch of”???? Either you have it or not no? I have to do more research but suffice to say I have a lot of questions for our in person visit in December. Thanks for asking. #patience #onedayatatime

Hugs and love. To you and your sweet family. XOXO.

@Austina how did it go yesterday? I forgot to answer your knee question. Greg’s knee is AOK so far. The other one needs to be replaced but he’s doing ok with it as is for now. How’s your knee? How are you doing re PT and walking? Hugs.

@Slick1 hope your week is going smoothly. XOXO.

@springerspaniel hope all is calm by you. Our infection rate is going way up. I think about you and stay safe. You’re a hero. Hugs.

@MamaBee hugs. Keeping you in my thoughts.

@junebug17 hope all is well and you’re enjoying a lovely week. XO.

@MarionC loved it. Heartwarming. Thanks for sharing. Be well. Hugs.

@marcy good morning. How is work going? How was your weekend? How’s your sister and BIL doing? Did Marty get his medical test done yet? Sending you lots of good wishes and hugs.

@bling_dream19 good morning. Hope you are having a wonderful week. Hugs.

Hi to everyone else. We enjoyed a good cycling day yesterday as the weather is still lovely. One more day then rain for a while. No complaints.

Look at the colors here. Mother Nature is awe inspiring.

DBF5D691-C508-49F2-9D2C-4180FE4A361C.jpeg

Have a beautiful Tuesday girls. (((Hugs))).

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@missy you can't have a touch of hyperparathyroidism.. if one of Greg's parathyroid's is sending out too much hormone as you know, the calcium is leeched out of the bone, the parathyroid should be removed. I know you know all this..

Give that Greg a huge hug for me.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

@missy--your weather this year has been phenomenal! I am jealous! Cold and snowing here--got in the mood by buying some Christmas candy today. LOL

@Bayek --your house is shaping up!!!!! Looking fabu!!

@MamaBee hope things are going well for you. Hope your visit goes well! I so miss my family--it breaks my heart.

NIRDI shout out!!!:wavey:

cheers--Sharon

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
HI:

@missy--your weather this year has been phenomenal! I am jealous! Cold and snowing here--got in the mood by buying some Christmas candy today. LOL

@Bayek --your house is shaping up!!!!! Looking fabu!!

@MamaBee hope things are going well for you. Hope your visit goes well! I so miss my family--it breaks my heart.

NIRDI shout out!!!:wavey:

cheers--Sharon

Sharon..I’m so sorry you’re missing your family. I couldn’t take it anymore so I’m taking a chance. This in person visit will have to be enough until the end of the pandemic...Does your family live close enough to at least visit from a distance? It is heartbreaking..XO

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
@missy Thats CRAZY that the endo said Greg could have a touch of hyperparathyroidism. Would you consider making an appointment with a different one? I’m sure it can wait until December..but maybe after that visit if you don’t get the answers that make you guys comfortable you can get another opinion.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sharon..I’m so sorry you’re missing your family. I couldn’t take it anymore so I’m taking a chance. This in person visit will have to be enough until the end of the pandemic...Does your family live close enough to at least visit from a distance? It is heartbreaking..XO

The bulk of my family live a few hundred miles away..and another sister in another Province. With the snow that recently fell (that will stay) can't visit local folks easily outside anymore. Such a drag, we've been so careful and our numbers are up up up......

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
The bulk of my family live a few hundred miles away..and another sister in another Province. With the snow that recently fell (that will stay) can't visit local folks easily outside anymore. Such a drag, we've been so careful and our numbers are up up up......

We have to hang on...The Pfizer vaccine looks really good. I wish everyone would wear their masks! I was out picking up my groceries today..I decided to count how many people had masks on and who didn’t wear them. Half of the people wore them..Frustrating!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi NIRDI’s! Yes those are dirty socks! Marty gets home from the gym and immediately takes off his shoes and socks, rolls them up and tries to hit a bear or the puppy with them.

@missy I think Costco and Sams Club are pretty similar. Marty did get his MRI and he sent me a text as soon as he was done sayinig “you are right. You would freak out.”. He has a torn tendon in his Supraspinatus. It looks like it is inside not through; he will probably see a doctor in Colorado. I love your pictures as always that but orange sunrise is amazing. So gorgeous. Darn that your generator can’t be installed until spring. Good deal the one you have works fine. I hope Greg’s mole and kidney stone tests went okay. Woo hoo to 8000 miles. And now that you mentioned Nantucket I have limericks going off in my head.

@Austina I bet the N95 masks would be more comfortable; last I knew they were difficult to find but I haven’t looked lately. Thanks for the recommendation. Sweet to get your new sofas and help out someone starting out. Sorry the craziness has started there too on TP and meat. Same thing is going on here too. Darn your Christmas flights are cancelled but not surprising. Greyhound definitely had a lot of sea action. You and Colin have sure been busy around the house, I get tired thinking about all of your redecorating and cleaning. Glad you had a nice talk with Shirley.

@canuk-gal I hope you are having a less hectic week. Glad to hear your tooth is doing better. That Tiffany teddy bear is pretty cute. Thanks. You found some great bracelets; I swear I’ll pick up my new lottery ticket soon.

@Bayek sending healing dust to your dear friend Kath. I hate to hear your shoulder is hurting; I hope it is better by now and good luck with your appointment on Thursday. Too cute about the video of Auti singing and dancing. When Marty and I were engaged we were at my sister’s house and her 2 year old scribble something on a piece of paper and handed it to Marty - so Marty asks her “what does it say?” And she gets all sad, looks down and says really quietly “I can’t read.”. He felt so bad. I will never forget that. Darn you have to rent for another month but your house is looking great! My shoulder is still achy but not like it was and I continue to be pleased at stronger legs and a right knee that tolerates each day better than a year ago. Yes, I agree to keep the backsplash.

@springerspaniel that’s awesome Russell shows up in assorted places. The unexpected keeps us on our toes. Did you get your paper done? Woo hoo - best wishes and good luck for a promotion. Did you get the grooming done this weekend? Does David look like Mo?

@bling_dream19 your rings are gorgeous. I bet you love them. Nice that your dad came for dinner. Ooh I like Mischief Marty. It fits him so well. Nice that you and your DH went horseback riding.

@rainwood I hope you are doing well.

@MamaBee sorry to hear you are having trouble with your son again; good idea to stay away from him while he is causing you stress and grief. I hope you enjoyed seeing Scott, Allie and the boys this weekend. It is so nice you can upgrade your diamond at WF. I know what you mean about seeing something that bothers you though; I’m so bad once I see it then I look for it all them time which usually means I do an upgrade. Of course I have no self control on such things so don’t pay attention to me. All ACA’s are gorgeous. You can ask WF to confirm that F VS2 diamond with the clouds is eye clean; usually you can’t see them naked eye but yes they look awful in a loop. I have always found they give me an honest visual assessment. What carat weight is it? Sounds like a great birthday present for you.

I made homemade cocoa brownies after work but I had a piece of PB toast and an apple before I ate a warm brownie.

The funeral I went to on Thursday was nice. Easily 200 people were there and I'm sure more would have been there if not for COVID. I caught up with all of his sisters, his kids and his ex-wife. I was there over 2 hours but made it home for my 3 pm meeting.

My sister and BIL came up this weekend. She wanted one more lesson for her online virtual craft show.

We are working from home at least through November 20th. COVID cases are rising here.

What I’ve been doing the last few days - long and probably boring so skip if you want. So I've drove myself crazy the last 4 days and ended up where I started. Last week we got another warranty extension on the Porsche - it's for tire gauges and extended for 2 years. I sent Marty a text telling him and said "if I buy another car so it's under warranty; I want one with a remote start. That means no Porsche". He never answered me so I thought well that subject is dropped. Saturday when we were out he drove us through the car dealer lots where he pointed out some SUV he thought i might liike. He said it's my car I should get what I want. I came home and started my "search" for the best luxury small SUV. Then read reviews, watched test drives on YouTube. Priced out assorted cars and model. I initially wanted to stick with a local dealer. I ruled out Cadillac; it still has as many cons as they did when we looked at them 15 years ago. The only car I kind of liked is the new Lincoln Corsair. Even maxed out with pretty much all options I'd end up with a way smaller car payment. Then I read customer reviews including the Corsair owner forum and then I ruled that out. Next I looked at Jaguar, BMW and Mercedes. I thought BMW & Mercedes had remote starters but found out that isn't so, apparently Germany no longer allows car to be built with remote starters because it wastes gas. I believe they both offer pick up and delivery service on your car for maintenance and repair while under warranty which would be great. Looks like they both have an app that will start your car, but the Mercedes will just heat or cool it. Then I watched videos on YouTube of test drives. I was leaning towards the BMW X3. Then I went to the owner forums and saw complaints about the remote apps not working well with new Apple phones. Also when I did comparison reviews of each car to the Macan; the Macan has the things I like about cars. Then Monday came - we had snow most of Sunday and it got bitter cold and windy. The drive home was on solid ice. Lots of accidents. We have a tall hill with steep grade on the way home and naturally some cars were struggling to get up the hill; jerks in pickups were going around them in the ditch, cars were getting stopped halfway up the hill then and couldn't get going again. My car didn't have a bit of trouble and never slid once the entire way home. I sent Marty a text when I got home that said "screw a remote start. I'd rather have a car that can laugh at this kind of road conditions that be warm when I get in it." And that's the end of my long, boring self centered story. I suppose I could price out a new Macan if I am that concerned about a warranty. It probably wouldn't be here until after all the spring blizzards anyway.

Take care.
Marcy

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hello lovelies

Oy @missy that’s like saying someone’s a little big pregnant! I know you won’t accept such a sloppy diagnosis for Greg, so I hope you get to the root of what’s going on. What a fabulous view, look at the colour of the sky and the sea, it just beautiful. Yay to another lovely cycling day, but boo to the rain coming in.

I’m so glad I’m not colour sensitive @MamaBee :lol: I has always looked plenty white to me. I’ll probably get thrown out of PS, but I actually don’t like D/E colour diamonds, they look too stark and a little artificially white for my taste:???: We’re intending to ship our dining room furniture and our sitting room furniture, and of course all the new furniture we bought for the bedroom last year. We’re going to have to get a container anyway, and I want my ‘things’ when we move, not just because I love them, but because it’ll feel more like home IYKWIM. The new sofas for the orangery are partly to add to the staging, but will also be coming with us.

I’m glad you’re able to work from home for the time being @marcy, hopefully that’ll help with the recent spike of new cases. Stay safe.

Ugh @canuk-gal it’s not fair that those of us abiding by the rules are being penalised by those who just don’t get it.

We had another busy day painting, so that’s the upstairs hall all painted, it’s particularly tricky because the ceiling slopes in to the walls and of course, are over a big drop over the staircase. Colin bought a roller on an extending pole, and he really needed it today.

I ordered a new TV stand for the orangery, and that should be coming on Saturday, so we’re getting there, the sofas should be here on Friday.

The alarm people rang at 1.45 am, scared the living daylights out of us, they said there’d been an activation in the sitting room, but it didn’t trigger the alarm, so we think it might be a faulty door contact. Oy :roll: They’re coming Thursday to service the alarm and check it out.

Very encouraging news about the vaccine, I told Colin that as he’ll have his before me (due to age), I’ll know if it’s safe if he doesn’t keel over :lol:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
GM lovely ladies. Happy Wednesday. Wishing you all a good Veterans Day. Honoring our brave men and women who sacrificed it all for us. We stand united in our respect for you.

I took this photo as we were cycling yesterday.

Screen Shot 2020-11-11 at 7.53.52 AM.png

@missy you can't have a touch of hyperparathyroidism.. if one of Greg's parathyroid's is sending out too much hormone as you know, the calcium is leeched out of the bone, the parathyroid should be removed. I know you know all this..

Give that Greg a huge hug for me.

Thank you @Bayek! I appreciate your input. Yes I thought that was the case. So frustrating. Here's what the endocrinologist wrote.

"Yes--it is a mixed picture here. You may have a touch of parathyroid, but nothing that we would treat. I would recommend another bone density a year from now, but I want to see what Dr B****** thinks."

I just gave Greg a big hug from you and right back at ya from both of us. Love you girlie.

LOL don't be jealous. I wish you could be here with us. Well not now because we have rain and cold coming and no cycling for a while now. I am sorry your family is far away and sending you big hugs and love. Stay safe and be well dear Sharon.

@missy Thats CRAZY that the endo said Greg could have a touch of hyperparathyroidism. Would you consider making an appointment with a different one? I’m sure it can wait until December..but maybe after that visit if you don’t get the answers that make you guys comfortable you can get another opinion.

Yeah maybe. I don't know who is better though. This endocrinologist is (I thought at least) sharp and open minded. He is far above the average as far as I can tell. And I went to at least 4 endocrinologists before I found him. I am very worried about Greg's health and feel frustrated with medical care in general. How are you? Hope all is going well and again I am sorry about the family trouble. Sending you many good wishes and hugs.

@marcy good that Marty got the MRI and glad it isn't a through and through tear and hopefully he will heal easily and fast. Good luck with the Colorado doctor. We aren't at 8K yet but as soon as we can ride again just a few more rides and we should hit 8K. We cannot cycle for a few days at least. Rain is coming but we had a good run so no complaints. How is your snow situation now? I am so sorry again about your friends deaths and sending you comforting gentle hugs. I am glad you can work from home for the foreseeable future. I am glad you got to visit with your sister and BIL. Sweet. Good luck with the car shopping. Fun but stressful I know. XOXO.

@Austina I know right? I am (as I wrote above) frustrated and worried and unsure what to do. I can insist of course and then he can wash his hands of us and we will have to start all over again. Trying to take it all one day at a time. Yay to accomplishing much painting and things are falling into place. Hopefully the alarm people will figure it out and no more false alarms will happen. Cannot wait for you to get your new sofa friday. And yes fingers crossed for a successful vaccine sooner vs later. And may it be very safe. Hugs

@Slick1 hello and hoping you are having a good week. Hugs.

@springerspaniel hope all is well and thinking of you. XOXO.

@bling_dream19 hope you are enjoying a lovely and blingy happy week. Hugs.

Hi to everyone else. Another good ride yesterday and now we take a few days break for rain.
Lots to do anyway so it's for the best.

We saw our friend B yesterday and cycled a bit with him. He's the best.

Screen Shot 2020-11-11 at 7.56.39 AM.png

Enjoy a wonderful Wednesday girls. XOXO.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oops forgot to share some lovely autumn photos from our cycling adventures yesterday that I took for you lovely ladies. Hope you enjoy. Be well and stay safe.

All of these taken as we were cycling so apologies for any blurriness.

Screen Shot 2020-11-11 at 7.59.49 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-11-11 at 7.59.37 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-11-11 at 7.59.10 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-11-11 at 7.57.58 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-11-11 at 8.00.59 AM.png

Enjoy a picture perfect day sweet friends.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Update. Testing continues.

Greg’s urology office called and he spoke with the NP. Seems as if there’s definitely more kidney stones that need to come out sooner vs later. And he needs a scan with dye to evaluate better and it has to be done at the hospital. Great. Just as Covid is ramping up here. I’m so worried. I feel like crying and not stopping. I’m overwhelmed because I am not sure our medical team is as competent as I once thought. :(

Waiting to get an appointment for him at the hospital for the scan with dye. Let’s see how long this takes. This hospital is ridiculous with length of time to get appointments which is why greg went elsewhere for his last batch of tests. But the urologist wants these done at the hospital.

Thanks for letting me vent. Your well wishes and good thoughts are much appreciated. ❤️

springerspaniel

Brilliant_Rock
Oh my goodness @missy! I hope you can get the scan done soon and that he does not get symptomatic before then. All of my best wishes and good thoughts are yours, straight from NH to you both!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh my goodness @missy! I hope you can get the scan done soon and that he does not get symptomatic before then. All of my best wishes and good thoughts are yours, straight from NH to you both!

Thank you so much @springerspaniel. I really appreciate it.
I feel almost sure he has hyperparathyroidism. It all would make sense. Now I just have to make sure his medical team works together to help him.

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ugh how frustrating @missy, I tend to view it that because things are getting worse, the protocols at the hospital will be even more rigorous. I hope you get Greg seen quickly, will it be a hospital at the shore, or will you have to go to the city?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ugh how frustrating @missy, I tend to view it that because things are getting worse, the protocols at the hospital will be even more rigorous. I hope you get Greg seen quickly, will it be a hospital at the shore, or will you have to go to the city?

Hi @Austina thanks.
NJ hospital as that’s where Greg’s urologist is. But if he needs surgery for his parathyroid (to remove it) I don’t know where that would be. We don’t have a surgeon for that yet.

Unfortunately nothing will be as quick as I’d like. Especially during the second wave of the pandemic. It adds to my anxiety. I just want Greg to be well and OK. I don’t care anything about my health issues now. I am putting all my energy into getting him the proper treatment. But I feel much of this is simply out of my control. We are waiting on others and hoping for the best.

SallyBrown

Shiny_Rock
Hi, @missy, I’ve never posted in this thread. I hope you guys don’t mind. But I see that you’re really struggling to get an answer for Greg’s medical issues. I just thought I’d just give you an overview on how my (primary) hyperparathyroidism was discovered. I don’t know if it’ll help, just putting it out here...

My serum calcium ran between 10.6 and 10.7 mg/dL for over 10 years. Not a single doctor out of half a dozen doctors mentioned it might be too high. I later learned that adults should have calciums in the 9’s. If it’s higher than that the PTH level should be checked. Which is what my new PCP did. My PTH level was really high (can’t remember exact level). She was almost positive I had primary hyperparathyroidism but she had an endocrinologist review the labs and a 24-hour urine calcium was run, also high. Diagnosis confirmed.

Then I saw an excellent surgeon, my surgeon. He did an in-office neck ultrasound. In less than 10 seconds he found the (benign) parathyroid tumor. He said they typically show up on the ultrasound about 50% of the time. Mine was right there, for 10 years, waiting to be found in less than 10 seconds. Grrr... It was such an easy, painless test, easier than the blood and urine tests. And since it was in-office, no additional insurance approval was needed. Anyway, that was the diagnosis part of it. It really is an underdiagnosed condition.

Anyone reading this, remember that you need further testing if your serum calcium is above 10.0 mg/dL!!! (American lab measurement). Even if the lab that runs the test sets their “normal” value higher than 10.0. Ask for a follow-up PTH (and vitamin D) test!

And if you have calcium kidney stones it’s also a very good idea to be checked for hyperparathyroidism.

One last note-there are less common types of hyperparathyroidism that don’t follow the typical “high calcium, high PTH” pattern. And sometimes PTH levels can be normal even if a person does have primary hyperparathyroidism. It can sometimes be confusing, even for the doctors. And I’m not a doctor! I don’t know if you ever mentioned what his labs were, @missy, but this is something to keep in mind as well.

OK, that’s all I wanted to say =)2

Last edited:

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi NIRDI’s! Celebrating Veteran’s Day and thank you to all of our service men and women who have done so much for us.

@Austina I totally get moving your stuff. When we first moved in here I told people it was like staying in a big hotel suite that had some of my stuff in it. It’s an adjustment. Painting the upstairs hall sounds challenging; I bet you are glad to get that chore finished. Glad the alarm was only a faulty sensor; they are just like smoke detectors they only go off in the middle of the night.

@missy I hate to hear Greg’s doctor isn’t giving you a clear diagnosis and answer; that is so frustrating plus now Greg needs more tests on his kidney stones. I hope you can get a test scheduled soon and the doctors are more responsive. Keeping both you and Greg in my thoughts. You’ll hit that 8K no problem. Great pictures from your outings and I am loving all those gorgeous fall colors. Thanks for the comforting words about my friend.

@SallyBrown I take it you are a Peanuts fan too; I have a lot of Snoopy decor in my house. I am glad you found an excellent surgeon and hate to hear what you went through. I hope you are doing okay now.

Well my 2 weeks of work at home was reversed today. We got a LONG email assuring us our facility is safe to work in and that we are following proper recommendations to stay safe. Looks like our director made that decision on his own and corporate said no way. Since I usually work at home on Thursday I am not going back in the office until Friday. Ha!

I lifted after work tonight but didn’t do much else exciting today.

Take care.
Marcy

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi, @missy, I’ve never posted in this thread. I hope you guys don’t mind. But I see that you’re really struggling to get an answer for Greg’s medical issues. I just thought I’d just give you an overview on how my (primary) hyperparathyroidism was discovered. I don’t know if it’ll help, just putting it out here...

My serum calcium ran between 10.6 and 10.7 mg/dL for over 10 years. Not a single doctor out of half a dozen doctors mentioned it might be too high. I later learned that adults should have calciums in the 9’s. If it’s higher than that the PTH level should be checked. Which is what my new PCP did. My PTH level was really high (can’t remember exact level). She was almost positive I had primary hyperparathyroidism but she had an endocrinologist review the labs and a 24-hour urine calcium was run, also high. Diagnosis confirmed.

Then I saw an excellent surgeon, my surgeon. He did an in-office neck ultrasound. In less than 10 seconds he found the (benign) parathyroid tumor. He said they typically show up on the ultrasound about 50% of the time. Mine was right there, for 10 years, waiting to be found in less than 10 seconds. Grrr... It was such an easy, painless test, easier than the blood and urine tests. And since it was in-office, no additional insurance approval was needed. Anyway, that was the diagnosis part of it. It really is an underdiagnosed condition.

Anyone reading this, remember that you need further testing if your serum calcium is above 10.0 mg/dL!!! (American lab measurement). Even if the lab that runs the test sets their “normal” value higher than 10.0. Ask for a follow-up PTH (and vitamin D) test!

And if you have calcium kidney stones it’s also a very good idea to be checked for hyperparathyroidism.

One last note-there are less common types of hyperparathyroidism that don’t follow the typical “high calcium, high PTH” pattern. And sometimes PTH levels can be normal even if a person does have primary hyperparathyroidism. It can sometimes be confusing, even for the doctors. And I’m not a doctor! I don’t know if you ever mentioned what his labs were, @missy, but this is something to keep in mind as well.

OK, that’s all I wanted to say =)2

Thanks so much @Sally Brown for chiming in and I not only don't mind I so appreciate it! I am glad they found your hyperparathyroidism finally. I cannot believe it took them over 10 years with high calcium readings. Unreal.

Greg's problem is so far it isn't a "typical" presentation as his PTH falls within "normal" range but his calcium is over 10. Though sometimes it is under 10. Mostly it is under 10.5 usually but definitely on the high normal side while his PTH isn't high but it isn't as low as it should be with a higher calcium from what I understand doing all the reading I have been doing about this disease. And, with Greg's history of kidney stones (4 decades) and now bone loss it is clear to me that is probably what is going on with him. Since one can have hyperparathyroidism with a "normal range" PTH. His PTH should be even lower with his higher (but again within the "normal range") calcium. So while his PTH let's say is 45 his Ca is 10 so IIRC with that measure of Ca his PTH should be lower.

Anyway I agree with you Sally. It *is* confusing! Though I don't get why is our endocrinologist saying we can wait til next year and repeat the DEXA? No, no, no. He needs a few more tests. He needs a Sestamibi/SPECT scan and an US of the neck and perhaps an MRI to see what is going on. Why didn't our endocrinologist ask for these tests to be done?

Thank you so much for weighing in and I am happy for you that you are doing so well despite the delayed diagnosis. Greg now has bone loss so I am more concerned than I would have been if he didn't already have bone loss and I know we are in for a long haul due to Covid 19 and I am just starting a search for a surgeon to do the surgery if the tests show that Greg needs surgery.

One more question if I may. Did you have an endocrine surgeon perform your surgery or an ENT? I found a surgeon after doing some research yesterday and I asked my MD friends but none of them have heard of him. Now my BIL (who is an ENT in Chicago) is looking into the surgeon I found and he will be getting back to us sometime today or tomorrow I hope with additional thoughts. But if you have any one you recommend in the NY/Central Jersey area please let me know. Here's the guy I found.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
GM ladies, just a quick hello as I need to get more coffee haha.

@marcy I am sorry you now have to go back to work. Ugh. I am sure they are making it as safe as possible but I don't understand why you have to go into the office if you can accomplish all you need to from home. Sigh. I am glad you lifted yesterday. Today is my weights day. I don't call what I do lifting as the heaviest I am doing is pulling 70 lbs as I walk back and forth and as for "lifting" I can only manage 30 lbs LOLOL. I am pathetic with weights but it isn't for lack of trying and trying I continue to do. I am not a quitter. :)
Thank you dear Marcy for your well wishes. Again my heart goes out to you for your recent losses and I am keeping you in my thoughts and prayers too. Big hugs and love to you.

@Slick1 Hang in there. One more day to Friday woohoo. Hope work is going well and all is OK. All my best wishes to your DD and I hope she is feeling better and healing well. Keeping good thoughts for her and you. How is your foot/toe? Hugs and love to you.

@bling_dream19 I must stop shopping. Is that a form of OCD? I buy way too much of everything. Anyway how are you? How is your week going? Sending you lots of good wishes and hugs. XOXO.

@canuk-gal our good weather has ended and we are in day 2 of rain. How is it by you? Thank goodness for all the snow and rain boots I have. Cute colors and easy to accessorize. Makes winter and bad weather easier to bear lol. Hugs and love and enjoy a lovely day.

@Austina one more day to new sofas woohoo. Hope you are enjoying a lovely day and sending you warm hugs.

@springerspaniel hope the rest of your week is going well and thinking of you. Thanks for all your well wishes and warm thoughts. Much appreciated. Hugs to you and your furry babies. XOXO.

@Sally Brown please know you are welcome here anytime for any reason. Please feel free to just jump right in and post and share. We welcome you with open arms. XOXO.

Hi to everyone else. Hope you are enjoying a good week. It's another rainy day by us. Doing chores and running errands and perhaps we can make time for a drive in there somewhere. Pretty autumn colors everywhere. Sending you all hugs and well wishes. XOXO.

Screen Shot 2020-11-12 at 5.15.02 AM.png

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Sally Brown Just read a bit more info and it seems as 50% of all the scans miss the parathyroid tumor/adenoma so the best way to evaluate is have a surgeon evaluate you in surgery. They need to find and evaluate all 4 parathyroid glands and remove the ones with adenomas for a successful cure rate.

This link is interesting. Seems as if the scans might not be necessary due to their 50% fail rate though you need it to show where the tumor is not located.

And forget about MRIs and SPECT scans. Should not be done. So ignore what I wrote in my first post to you Sally. This link shows those tests should not be done. So much conflicting info.

SallyBrown

Shiny_Rock
Thanks so much @Sally Brown for chiming in and I not only don't mind I so appreciate it! I am glad they found your hyperparathyroidism finally. I cannot believe it took them over 10 years with high calcium readings. Unreal.

Greg's problem is so far it isn't a "typical" presentation as his PTH falls within "normal" range but his calcium is over 10. Though sometimes it is under 10. Mostly it is under 10.5 usually but definitely on the high normal side while his PTH isn't high but it isn't as low as it should be with a higher calcium from what I understand doing all the reading I have been doing about this disease. And, with Greg's history of kidney stones (4 decades) and now bone loss it is clear to me that is probably what is going on with him. Since one can have hyperparathyroidism with a "normal range" PTH. His PTH should be even lower with his higher (but again within the "normal range") calcium. So while his PTH let's say is 45 his Ca is 10 so IIRC with that measure of Ca his PTH should be lower.

Anyway I agree with you Sally. It *is* confusing! Though I don't get why is our endocrinologist saying we can wait til next year and repeat the DEXA? No, no, no. He needs a few more tests. He needs a Sestamibi/SPECT scan and an US of the neck and perhaps an MRI to see what is going on. Why didn't our endocrinologist ask for these tests to be done?

Thank you so much for weighing in and I am happy for you that you are doing so well despite the delayed diagnosis. Greg now has bone loss so I am more concerned than I would have been if he didn't already have bone loss and I know we are in for a long haul due to Covid 19 and I am just starting a search for a surgeon to do the surgery if the tests show that Greg needs surgery.

One more question if I may. Did you have an endocrine surgeon perform your surgery or an ENT? I found a surgeon after doing some research yesterday and I asked my MD friends but none of them have heard of him. Now my BIL (who is an ENT in Chicago) is looking into the surgeon I found and he will be getting back to us sometime today or tomorrow I hope with additional thoughts. But if you have any one you recommend in the NY/Central Jersey area please let me know. Here's the guy I found.

Hi again, @missy. Thanks for the nice message!

I’m sorry you’re going through so much in trying to get a correct diagnosis for Greg. But from my limited understanding of how calcium and PTH levels interact it sounds highly likely that he has hyperparathyroidism, even though his labs don’t present the way mine did. Add to that his bone loss and kidney stones, well, I would be shocked if he didn’t have it.

You definitely need to get another opinion. DEFINITELY. The “touch of hyperparathyroidism“ diagnosis and “wait and see“ approach that his current MD is suggesting doesn’t sound at all logical.

My diagnosis took a long time, but unfortunately this is a common problem with this condition.

The surgeon you found looks impressive based on his website, but of course it would be important to check on his medical license. If he checks out maybe you could ask him to go over all of Greg’s medical records/labs and give his opinion and suggest further testing? Unlike many endocrinologists he probably ROUTINELY sees patients whose labs don’t fit the standard PHPT profile but who do in fact have PHPT.

I saw a very highly-rated endocrine surgeon. He does A LOT of parathyroidectomies, which is very important. He did the ultrasound on me after I was diagnosed and performed the surgery. Unfortunately he’s in Chicago. But he was very nice. Maybe your BIL knows him and could speak with him?:

I wish I could suggest someone in the NY/NJ metro area but I haven’t lived there since I was a kid.

Keep fighting for answers, @missy. It may not seem like it, but it sounds like you are very close!

Please keep me posted. I’m happy to help in any way I can. =)2

Last edited:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi again, @missy. Thanks for the nice message!

I’m sorry you’re going through so much in trying to get a correct diagnosis for Greg. But from my limited understanding of how calcium and PTH levels interact it sounds highly likely that he has hyperparathyroidism, even though his labs don’t present the way mine did. Add to that his bone loss and kidney stones, well, I would be shocked if he didn’t have it.

You definitely need to get another opinion. DEFINITELY. The “touch of hyperparathyroidism“ diagnosis and “wait and see“ approach that his current MD is suggesting doesn’t sound at all logical.

My diagnosis took a long time, but unfortunately this is a common problem with this condition.

The surgeon you found looks impressive based on his website, but of course it would be important to check on his medical license. If he checks out maybe you could ask him to go over all of Greg’s medical records/labs and give his opinion and suggest further testing? Unlike many endocrinologists he probably ROUTINELY sees patients whose labs don’t fit the standard PHPT profile but who do in fact have PHPT.

I saw a very highly-rated endocrine surgeon. He does A LOT of parathyroidectomies, which is very important. He did the ultrasound on me after I was diagnosed and performed the surgery. Unfortunately he’s in Chicago. But he was very nice. Maybe your BIL knows him and could speak with him?:

I wish I could suggest someone in the NY/NJ metro area but I haven’t lived there since I was a kid.

Keep fighting for answers, @missy. It may not seem like it, but it sounds like you are very close!

Please keep me posted. I’m happy to help in any way I can. =)2

Hi Sally! Thanks so much for your continued help and support.

I was able to schedule an initial consult in December with Dr Shifrin who looks to be an excellent surgeon. I’ve poured through reviews and checked out his CV and his experience of more than 2 decades doing these surgeries. Fingers crossed he is as skilled as he appears to be on paper.

Like you, I feel that yes, Greg probably has hyperparathyroidism though not a straightforward case.

I will definitely keep you posted and I cannot express how grateful I am you are willing to share your experience and info with me in order to help Greg. ❤️

SallyBrown

Shiny_Rock
Hi NIRDI’s! Celebrating Veteran’s Day and thank you to all of our service men and women who have done so much for us.

@Austina I totally get moving your stuff. When we first moved in here I told people it was like staying in a big hotel suite that had some of my stuff in it. It’s an adjustment. Painting the upstairs hall sounds challenging; I bet you are glad to get that chore finished. Glad the alarm was only a faulty sensor; they are just like smoke detectors they only go off in the middle of the night.

@missy I hate to hear Greg’s doctor isn’t giving you a clear diagnosis and answer; that is so frustrating plus now Greg needs more tests on his kidney stones. I hope you can get a test scheduled soon and the doctors are more responsive. Keeping both you and Greg in my thoughts. You’ll hit that 8K no problem. Great pictures from your outings and I am loving all those gorgeous fall colors. Thanks for the comforting words about my friend.

@SallyBrown I take it you are a Peanuts fan too; I have a lot of Snoopy decor in my house. I am glad you found an excellent surgeon and hate to hear what you went through. I hope you are doing okay now.

Well my 2 weeks of work at home was reversed today. We got a LONG email assuring us our facility is safe to work in and that we are following proper recommendations to stay safe. Looks like our director made that decision on his own and corporate said no way. Since I usually work at home on Thursday I am not going back in the office until Friday. Ha!

I lifted after work tonight but didn’t do much else exciting today.

Take care.
Marcy

Thanks Marcy! I’m doing fine now after parathyroid removal. It was a while ago and it was an easy operation for me. I have another surgery scheduled (gallbladder). I’m not too thrilled about doing it during the pandemic, but that’s life. Pretty soon I won’t have any parts left. :lol:

I’m sorry to hear you have to go back into your office soon. This vaccine can’t come soon enough!

Hurray! Another “Peanuts” fan! I love the gang!

Take care Marcy!

SallyBrown

Shiny_Rock
Hi Sally! Thanks so much for your continued help and support.

I was able to schedule an initial consult in December with Dr Shifrin who looks to be an excellent surgeon. I’ve poured through reviews and checked out his CV and his experience of more than 2 decades doing these surgeries. Fingers crossed he is as skilled as he appears to be on paper.

Like you, I feel that yes, Greg probably has hyperparathyroidism though not a straightforward case.

I will definitely keep you posted and I cannot express how grateful I am you are willing to share your experience and info with me in order to help Greg. ❤

Hey, great news about getting a consult next month missy! Dr. Shifrin looks excellent to me too.

I’ll say a prayer that December finally brings you and Greg a firm diagnosis after all these years. I have a good feeling about it!

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hello lovelies

Oy @marcy, can’t they make up their mind, it’s like the Hokey Cokey, home, work, home, work! I’m sorry you have to go in I hope all the proper measures are in place to keep you safe.

Wow, what a lot of useful information @SallyBrown, and welcome to NIRDI land. Sounds like you’ve been through the mill health wise over the last few years, and good luck with your upcoming surgery. Like I said to Missy, I imagine that protocols are even stricter in hospitals during this current situation, so probably not a bad time to get it done.

What good news you’ve managed to get Greg an appointment next month, @missy, let’s hope this guy knows what he’s talking about and you can get a proper diagnosis and the right treatment. What a relief, and thank goodness @SallyBrown has been able to give you such useful information.

I wasn’t going to do anymore decorating this week, but decided I’d start in the other bedroom on the top floor, so I’ve done the woodwork and tomorrow we’ll do the walls.

Gotta get up early because the sofas are supposed to be coming between 8.15am-12.15 - how much do you want to bet it’ll be 12.15? :lol:

Can’t believe another week is almost over, sending big love and hugs to all the lovely NIRDIs, keep safe and well :wavey:

SallyBrown

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the welcome, @Austina!

Yes it’s been a bit of a challenge these past few years with multiple operations but I’m OK, knock wood. I hope you’re right about the hospital safety protocols. My surgeon thinks he can remove the gallbladder laparoscopically with the robot and send me home the same day. Fingers crossed!

Ooh, nice new sofas. :) I hope they deliver them early for you!

Have a great Friday Austina!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

NIRDI shout out!

@missy too much frustration related to medical issues--I hear ya! Our weather was crisp today--I took a bit of a walk and had to be careful for the ice. Even with my spiky boots--one can slip!

I saw a beautiful Remembrance Day display yesterday and it made me cry. I think the ladies standing next to me thought I was kooky! But the faces and the names of those young men who served and sacrificed...:(( I am proud to support our Veterans. I give as much as I can every year.

@Austina gosh you are busy!

Stay safe folks. Goodness knows we all feel pressed

ETA: I bought these today @missy and thought of you! The patients always like my socks.

upon.https://www.sockittome.com/products/kitty-cone-knee-high-socks-f0411

cheers--Sharon

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results