shape
carat
color
clarity

Now I really did it :((

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
Missy missy missy. I leave you alone for one week to cruise around the Spanish and Portuguese coasts and just look what you've gone and done. :-o

Yes, I just got back today. And yes I am somewhat upset to hear of your news. How in the world...?

Firstly, I am so very sorry that you have spectacularly broken your tibia and fibula. You are a very active person and for this to happen to you is beyond cruel. I'm shaking my fist at the gods. Grrrrrr.

You WILL ride again. I'm absolutely sure that if you can't recover from this, no one can.

Secondly, what is this Percocet nonsense they've got you on? A quick google reveals it has oxycodone. All very well, but it's not going to work unless it's titrated up quickly to your pain. You need big doses. Big big doses. Its not acceptable for you to be in pain at rest. If you are still in pain, I'd seriously consider good old slow release morphine sulphate instead. Are you taking an anti-inflammatory for the swelling as well? If not, why not? There may be a good orthopaedic reason why not, but do ask your doctor about it.

Thirdly, as a certified lazy person, I relish my time in bed. Nay, I positively crave it. So here are my suggestions for Barely Lifting a Finger Whilst Not Going Crazy:

1. Read. All the classics that you never got around to. Full series of books. The book thread has many varied suggestions. Read the entire series by Diana Gabaldon if you like historical fiction (with a bit of time travel. Just go with me here :cheeky: )

2. Learn a skill like knitting, crochet, cross stich. Any craft. Start making Christmas presents.

3. You tube. I learned a hell of a lot crazy stuff from here. Like how to wrap presents nicely. How to create different makeup looks. How to do fancy hair dos. How to make origami swans. I recommend finding the BBC documentary on perfume from a few years ago; I know you love perfumes and I really enjoyed the programme. If not on you tube, ask your wonderful man to find you a copy.

4. TV series. If you haven't seen them, give these a go: Breaking Bad, House of Cards, The walking dead, Orange is the new black, Downton Abbey, Homeland, Game of Thrones, Parks and Recreation. Watch a few episodes before giving up on them.

5. Sort your paperwork. This is stuff I put off continuously. Revise your will. Research those investments you haven't had time for. Look at your pension again. Do your taxes, see your accountant. Sort your insurances: can you shop around and save money? Manage your magazine subscriptions. Switch your electricity provider. You can achieve a lot with a laptop and the internet.

6. Research and book your next holiday. It's a long slow recovery so don't book anything too active too soon. I recommend cruising the Spanish and Portuguese coasts. ;))

7. Can I get you to take up video games? I don't play myself but I know some can take up hours of your time. Plus you can get games to help exercise your upper body on wi fit. I quite like puzzle games rather than the shooting kind.

8. Learn to cook a cuisine you can't. Once you can stand you'll be able to do so much more around the house, even if you can't go out.

9. Accept practical help. I know your husband is a complete gem, but don't be hesitant to get help from other family and friends. If nothing else, it takes a little of the burden from your husband's shoulders. I'd go nuts if my friend was in your situation and didn't ask for my help. I may take to standing outside their window demanding to be let in!

10. When all else fails: bling **** on Pricescope cures all ills. I'm pretty sure there are some clinical trials that prove this :cheeky:

I wish I could do something, anything to help.

I'm sending you my mega load of DUST for your surgery and your SPEEDY and FULL recovery.

Ps here are some real life doctors' names to make you laugh:

Dr Nurse
Dr Paine
Dr Cream
Dr Dray
Dr Butt

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm surprised to hear that visiting nurses will visit only if someone is on Medicare. That can't be right. I'm glad you're going to check it out and see if you were given wrong information. It will help so much, and your husband can return to work knowing that you're being looked after. You may feel better/safer too, knowing that someone is coming by to check in on you and help you with whatever you need.

This might be one of those situations where it seems like it will get worse before you feel better, but it will happen. This, too, shall pass, right? Promise.

perry

Ideal_Rock
Premium
missy|1404153536|3703867 said:
I hope Perry approves of this dress.

Yes!

I have not had time to read all the other responses and have to head to work.

We can discuss more later on appropriate dress for different occasions.

Life is an adventure - it is up to us to make it fun,

Perry

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
rosetta|1404220889|3704413 said:
Missy missy missy. I leave you alone for one week to cruise around the Spanish and Portuguese coasts and just look what you've gone and done. :-o

Yes, I just got back today. And yes I am somewhat upset to hear of your news. How in the world...?

Firstly, I am so very sorry that you have spectacularly broken your tibia and fibula. You are a very active person and for this to happen to you is beyond cruel. I'm shaking my fist at the gods. Grrrrrr.

You WILL ride again. I'm absolutely sure that if you can't recover from this, no one can.

Secondly, what is this Percocet nonsense they've got you on? A quick google reveals it has oxycodone. All very well, but it's not going to work unless it's titrated up quickly to your pain. You need big doses. Big big doses. Its not acceptable for you to be in pain at rest. If you are still in pain, I'd seriously consider good old slow release morphine sulphate instead. Are you taking an anti-inflammatory for the swelling as well? If not, why not? There may be a good orthopaedic reason why not, but do ask your doctor about it.

Thirdly, as a certified lazy person, I relish my time in bed. Nay, I positively crave it. So here are my suggestions for Barely Lifting a Finger Whilst Not Going Crazy:

1. Read. All the classics that you never got around to. Full series of books. The book thread has many varied suggestions. Read the entire series by Diana Gabaldon if you like historical fiction (with a bit of time travel. Just go with me here :cheeky: )

2. Learn a skill like knitting, crochet, cross stich. Any craft. Start making Christmas presents.

3. You tube. I learned a hell of a lot crazy stuff from here. Like how to wrap presents nicely. How to create different makeup looks. How to do fancy hair dos. How to make origami swans. I recommend finding the BBC documentary on perfume from a few years ago; I know you love perfumes and I really enjoyed the programme. If not on you tube, ask your wonderful man to find you a copy.

4. TV series. If you haven't seen them, give these a go: Breaking Bad, House of Cards, The walking dead, Orange is the new black, Downton Abbey, Homeland, Game of Thrones, Parks and Recreation. Watch a few episodes before giving up on them.

5. Sort your paperwork. This is stuff I put off continuously. Revise your will. Research those investments you haven't had time for. Look at your pension again. Do your taxes, see your accountant. Sort your insurances: can you shop around and save money? Manage your magazine subscriptions. Switch your electricity provider. You can achieve a lot with a laptop and the internet.

6. Research and book your next holiday. It's a long slow recovery so don't book anything too active too soon. I recommend cruising the Spanish and Portuguese coasts. ;))

7. Can I get you to take up video games? I don't play myself but I know some can take up hours of your time. Plus you can get games to help exercise your upper body on wi fit. I quite like puzzle games rather than the shooting kind.

8. Learn to cook a cuisine you can't. Once you can stand you'll be able to do so much more around the house, even if you can't go out.

9. Accept practical help. I know your husband is a complete gem, but don't be hesitant to get help from other family and friends. If nothing else, it takes a little of the burden from your husband's shoulders. I'd go nuts if my friend was in your situation and didn't ask for my help. I may take to standing outside their window demanding to be let in!

10. When all else fails: bling **** on Pricescope cures all ills. I'm pretty sure there are some clinical trials that prove this :cheeky:

I wish I could do something, anything to help.

I'm sending you my mega load of DUST for your surgery and your SPEEDY and FULL recovery.

Ps here are some real life doctors' names to make you laugh:

Dr Nurse
Dr Paine
Dr Cream
Dr Dray
Dr Butt

Rosetta!!! I missed you! How was your trip? Sounds fabulous!!! Spanish and Portuguese coasts oh my that's a dream trip! I hope you and your dh had an amazing adventure!

I'm sorry you had to come back and read about another of my misadventures. Seems status quo for me these days. I just hope one day I can look back on this year and laugh and that this is just a mere blip on my radar and that I have lots and lots of happy and healthy times left. Cause I cannot lie. This year has been anything but fun or enjoyable for me.

Great suggestions and I am going to have to examine each one. I am not a gamer and not even sure what that entails as last game I ever played on something that was like a computer was pac man. Haha, I would be dating myself except you all know how old I am and yeah that's pretty old. Pac man. :lol:

Love your film/netflix/cable recs. I have seen most of them but not all. Really really loved Orange is the New Black. We devoured this season in under 2 days I think haha. And Breaking Bad. So sad it's over! Downton Abbey love love love and well House of Cards rocks. Are they coming back? I hope! Never checked out The Walking Dead so thank you because that is what I am going to watch next!

It's hard to concentrate on anything for any length of time. I mean, last night when my dh sat down next to me on the couch and we were watching tv I couldn't even concentrate on my favorite house hunter shows. We were watching Beachfront Bargain Hunt. Love that show. They always find a home on/near the water for under a crazy low amount like 300K. And as you know I have a particular fondness for beachfront homes. I love to fantasize about where we could next move and really retire where the water is crystal clear blue green and the beaches are white sand. Turns out nowhere we can afford haha. But a girl can dream!!!

Next holiday we were half planning because we just started talking about it was a bike tour of New Zealand in 2016 with the owner of Tandem's East and his wife and other couples. It was going to be a trip of a lifetime. That is off the table for now and I hope I don't disappoint everyone but while I fully intend on getting back on the bicycle I am a little gun-shy right now.

And I am never going to use those darn clip on pedals again. That's the only reason I had so much damage. Otherwise I would have just been bruised and cut up a bit that's all. I keep reliving the accident in my head (I know there is nothing helpful in doing that but it's something I cannot stop from doing right now) and I get so upset just thinking about how my injury was truly preventable. You ride a bike you are going to get into accidents pure and simple. I know and get and accept that no problem. But and this is a big but, there is no reason to get a Pilon fracture from the way my dh and I cycle. We are very cautious and safe cyclists. And I don't ride a motorcycle and this was not a car accident. Pilon fractures are from high impact trauma and yeah you see them with these damn SPD's that I have. Shimano SPD's. So angry, so upset and I so wish I could just turn back the clock to that Friday morning before we went out cycling. I know it's detrimental to my emotional health to keep going over this in my head and I am going to stop doing it but just needed to vent about that. They need to stop making those shoes/cleats/pedals. Turns out that other types don't have this problem. Wish my dh or I knew that before I decided to use these shoes. He uses a different system but we picked this one for me all those years ago because they were easier to walk with. I had been using these type of cycling shoes for close to a decade now and they are great. As long as you don't fall. Then you are screwed. I keep reading stories and stories about injuries with them people get because they cannot unclip when they fall. But I am stopping doing that right now. Done being aggravated about something that I cannot change and will focus on moving ahead. Just needed to get that out of my system. Whew, that felt good to get out.

I definitely need to learn a craft. My big problem is I have no other hobbies besides cycling and working out. I mean I love reading and watching old movies but mainly I love hiking/walking/cycling/being active so I really need to develop new interests and activities that don't involve my using my legs. Thanks for your suggestions. Right now as I wrote before a big challenge is making myself focus and concentrate because my concentration is shot right now and finding enjoyment from anything is a bit difficult for me at this time but I know I will get there. I am able to concentrate on PS and that makes it even more of a joy to be here being that my focusing is in such short supply lately. So one day at a time and I know I will get to where I need to be to start enjoying things more.

Thanks for the BBC perfume documentary rec. Going to look for that one, sounds great!

About the pain meds. They were first going to put me on Percocet but I expressed concern about my low threshold for nausea. And my mom always got nauseous on Percocet and was unable to take it. Plus I have a sensitive tummy since this winter and my mystery illness so they said Vicodin would be gentler on both fronts. They first put me on 5 mg q6h but it didn't touch the pain and the original orthopedist doubled it and said I could take it q4h. And I was also prescribed Zofran just in case I got nauseous from it which I did a couple of times. But not with the 5mg just with the 10mg. The new orthopedist changed it slightly (not sure why) and prescribed a 5mg Hydrocodone 1-2 pills q4-6 hours as needed. I am in less pain now thank goodness so I am trying not to take it too much. Yesterday I only took 2 pills all day and today I held off until 9AM when I had to take 1 pill. Just trying to be judicious with it and I also don't love the side effect of constipation so another reason to take as little as I need. Though I know being inactive is a big cause of the constipation side effect and that it is not just the pain med causing that. Is there anything you would suggest I change? Definitely open to any suggestions from you Rosetta. I am going to see the medicalist (I never heard of the medicalist term before yesterday) at the hospital tomorrow for clearance for surgery so I am sure I can pop by the orthopedists office and ask the PA for a change of meds if there is something that might be more helpful.

The orthopedist also prescribed an (anti-inflammatory?) injection every day to prevent blood clots. My dh has been giving it to me in my stomach since yesterday. A tiny bit more painful than I thought it would be- but no problem at all. It just stings for a bit after he gives me the injection. I don't know what med it is though. I would like to tell you and I am not sure where my dh put it and even if I did know I am staying put on the couch for now. A little worried because I am alone now and want to get up as little as possible to prevent any more trauma drama if you kwim. ::)

I'll post what medication is in the injection later when my dh gets home and can give it to me to look at. Am I trusting him too much haha. Letting him shoot me up without even questioning what it is. I tell you my defenses are down.

Thanks for the book suggestions. I like time travel! So going to check out that author Diana Gabaldon. Never heard of her but then again the kind of time travel I like are more sci fi though I did love the movie (and book just cannot remember the book's name) Somewhere in Time which involved historical time travel. It didn't receive rave reviews but (and I saw it a long time ago when it first came out) I enjoyed it thoroughly. Not sure if I would feel the same today but worth checking out if you never saw it.

Thank you so much for that mega dust load and for all your good wishes for full recovery! I appreciate that tons! And thanks for the warm and informative post Rosetta. Glad you are back and LOLOL on those doctors' names. You have to admit Dr Wellman is right up there on that list haha. Just hope he lives up to his name!!!

(((Hugs))) to you Rosetta and thank you!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Zoe|1404222606|3704430 said:
I'm surprised to hear that visiting nurses will visit only if someone is on Medicare. That can't be right. I'm glad you're going to check it out and see if you were given wrong information. It will help so much, and your husband can return to work knowing that you're being looked after. You may feel better/safer too, knowing that someone is coming by to check in on you and help you with whatever you need.

This might be one of those situations where it seems like it will get worse before you feel better, but it will happen. This, too, shall pass, right? Promise.

Thanks Zoe! I am going to check it out.

perry said:
missy|1404153536|3703867 said:
I hope Perry approves of this dress.

Yes!

I have not had time to read all the other responses and have to head to work.

We can discuss more later on appropriate dress for different occasions.

Life is an adventure - it is up to us to make it fun,

Perry

Thanks Perry. Looking forward to your fashion advice! :wavy:

ETA: Really upset right now. Doctor's office just returned my call from yesterday saying the 24 hour urine test was mandatory before tomorrow's medicalist visit. OMG are you kidding me? They didn't say that to me yesterday and when I called to ask about it as soon as I found out about having to do that they never returned my call and today at 10:45 called me back saying it has to be done by tomorrow's 9AM visit? How is that possible as it had to start first thing in the AM not now and I also cannot do that alone. Really pissed really pissed. (LOL pun NOT intended in this case!) and the PA didn't even call me back personally. The office secretary did though I requested the PA call me back instead of getting info secondhand through the office secretary who is not a medical person. Really frustrated. And worried this will mess up my surgery plans for this Monday. :cry: :cry: :cry:

ETA 2: OK PA called me back. Office secretary had it all wrong. Can do the 24 hr urine test after the surgery or not at all if I don't want. It's not mandatory. Whew. Really wish that Elle knew the facts before she called me and got me all worried.

On another note my Vit D was too high to read on the blood test. Over 96 so I need to cut back. PA said that I had the highest Vit D of anyone they ever knew haha. Like I said I don't do things half way. :cheeky:

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Eagerly awaiting Perry's post on appropriate dressing! I hope your feeling a bit better today Missy. Please let me know how your cat training is going. Once you have them trained well I'll be happy to send you a seven pound dog to train. She's the sweetest thing and will give you lots of kisses she just doesn't listen very well. If you can train the cats to fetch I'm sure you could train my baby. See I'm thinking of things to keep you occupied the next few week! And thank you Canuk-girl for making everyone laugh!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Calliecake|1404228576|3704495 said:
Eagerly awaiting Perry's post on appropriate dressing! I hope your feeling a bit better today Missy. Please let me know how your cat training is going. Once you have them trained well I'll be happy to send you a seven pound dog to train. She's the sweetest thing and will give you lots of kisses she just doesn't listen very well. If you can train the cats to fetch I'm sure you could train my baby. See I'm thinking of things to keep you occupied the next few week! And thank you Canuk-girl for making everyone laugh!

Callie, I am ready and able and waiting for your sweet 7 lb doggie. :wavey:
Anytime as I am here pretty much 24/7 these days. :cheeky:
(and next week when I am at the hospital I will arrange for her care as there are many animal lovers in my building. :appl: )

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
That 24 hour urine test sounds like the one they do to determine your kidney function most accurately. I could be wrong: it could be for catecholamines, but if so, not sure why they'd want that unless you have an undiagnosed problem (which I'm sure you don't). It's not really necessary if it's for kidney function, unless you have a kidney problem. Man, they sure do a lot of tests in the US! Methinks part of it may be overkill, they charge you for all this right?

Your daily injection is an anti-thrombotic to prevent a blood clot in your deep veins. Very important! I was thinking of a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory (NSAID) that might be helpful alongside what you have already. Ask your doctor, it may be that it's not going to be powerful enough, and so they don't think it's a good idea.

Take your senna, two tablets at night and hopefully you'll have touch down in the morning. If that doesn't work in a couple of days, I usually prescribe lactulose alongside. Remember: lack of activity (enforced) plus the side effect of Percocet both will cause significant constipation. Important to get on top of this or you'll end up having to drinks sachets of what is basically bowel cleansing agents. I'm told it's a bit bleurgh. Up the fibre in your diet, plus drink a lot of water (you may be subconsciously drinking less if getting to the toilet is an expedition) If the senna doesn't work, talk to your doctor. If you've been asked to elevate your leg when resting (if retaining fluid), try to get it higher than hip level. If not, then just keep it to the level in your photos.

I'm loathe to speak against my orthopaedic colleagues, but some of them are not as good with medications as they are with the ole hammer and chisel. If you are not getting good pain control, getting side effects from meds, I bet your GP would be better at sorting this out for you than the surgeon. It's just not the kind of super specialist stuff they deal much with. They're damn nifty with a bone saw, mind.

And yes: stupid shoe clips! Vent all you like! If I ever see any, I'm gonna rip them off total strangers' feet and run away cackling "begone foul harbinger of pilon fractures!"

*builds huge bonfire for burning of shoe clips* :angryfire:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
rosetta|1404232385|3704540 said:
That 24 hour urine test sounds like the one they do to determine your kidney function most accurately. I could be wrong: it could be for catecholamines, but if so, not sure why they'd want that unless you have an undiagnosed problem (which I'm sure you don't). It's not really necessary if it's for kidney function, unless you have a kidney problem. Man, they sure do a lot of tests in the US! Methinks part of it may be overkill, they charge you for all this right?

Your daily injection is an anti-thrombotic to prevent a blood clot in your deep veins. Very important! I was thinking of a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory (NSAID) that might be helpful alongside what you have already. Ask your doctor, it may be that it's not going to be powerful enough, and so they don't think it's a good idea.

Take your senna, two tablets at night and hopefully you'll have touch down in the morning. If that doesn't work in a couple of days, I usually prescribe lactulose alongside. Remember: lack of activity (enforced) plus the side effect of Percocet both will cause significant constipation. Important to get on top of this or you'll end up having to drinks sachets of what is basically bowel cleansing agents. I'm told it's a bit bleurgh. Up the fibre in your diet, plus drink a lot of water (you may be subconsciously drinking less if getting to the toilet is an expedition) If the senna doesn't work, talk to your doctor. If you've been asked to elevate your leg when resting (if retaining fluid), try to get it higher than hip level. If not, then just keep it to the level in your photos.

I'm loathe to speak against my orthopaedic colleagues, but some of them are not as good with medications as they are with the ole hammer and chisel. If you are not getting good pain control, getting side effects from meds, I bet your GP would be better at sorting this out for you than the surgeon. It's just not the kind of super specialist stuff they deal much with. They're damn nifty with a bone saw, mind.

And yes: stupid shoe clips! Vent all you like! If I ever see any, I'm gonna rip them off total strangers' feet and run away cackling "begone foul harbinger of pilon fractures!"

*builds huge bonfire for burning of shoe clips* :angryfire:

Haha love that Rosetta. Yes they are indeed the "foul harbingers of pilon fractures"!!!! :angryfire: :D
and I will do the same. Rip them off the feet of anyone I see wearing them. We can be superwomen with an arsenal of powers including ripping off those darn SPD clips! Saving ankles with single bounds. As long as we can fly and have super strong strength too. And invisibility would be good too. :cheeky:

Thanks for the additional info. We certainly do lots of tests here and yes we pay for them. One way or another. Not sure I am doing the 24 hr urine test as the PA said it wasn't absolutely necessary so to me that means not necessary at all. Just another PITA thing I want to and can take off my list of things to do. :appl:

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
missy|1404232140|3704539 said:

(and next week when I am at the hospital I will arrange for her care as there are many animal lovers in my building. :appl: )

Missy, One things for sure, your accident in no way has affected your sense of humor! You sound pretty good today now that the doctor office mix up is straightened out. What on earth would cause you Vit D level to so high? Do you take vitamins? Do you use sunscreen?

I can barely leave my dog when I go away for a few days. I drive the people who watch her nuts with calling constantly to check on her. I'm home during the day so I've pretty much turned her into a spoiled brat. I wouldn't have it any other way though. DH is as bad as I am with her. She went for obedience training when she was about 3 months. The instructor told the class when he dies he wants to come back as my dog. I can tell you love your cats the same way.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Calliecake|1404240188|3704619 said:
missy|1404232140|3704539 said:

Missy, One things for sure, your accident in no way has affected your sense of humor! You sound pretty good today now that the doctor office mix up is straightened out. What on earth would cause you Vit D level to so high? Do you take vitamins? Do you use sunscreen?

I can barely leave my dog when I go away for a few days. I drive the people who watch her nuts with calling constantly to check on her. I'm home during the day so I've pretty much turned her into a spoiled brat. I wouldn't have it any other way though. DH is as bad as I am with her. She went for obedience training when she was about 3 months. The instructor told the class when he dies he wants to come back as my dog. I can tell you love your cats the same way.

Thanks Callie. I forget who said this but I agree-if fate doesn't make you laugh then you don't get the joke. And without a sense of humor you don't have much sense at all ;-) So yeah that's pretty much how I feel.

I agree spoiling our furbabies rotten is the way to go. Your dog is lucky to have you both and lucky to have you home with her much of the day. We'll see how my kitties feel about having me home all the time now. This is the true test. Do they love me or just love me feeding them? We'll see how they like me in their role now. Laying around and resting all day. 8)

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Missy:

I am a long time PS lurker, although I was active on Colored Stones years ago. My azstonie name is close to what I had before.

I wanted to post to you so I rejoined.

I broke my leg in 3 places including the knee 2 years ago walking out to my pool to rehab my Westie who was recovering from hip replacement surgery. I was not a surgical candidate so I had a period of total immobilization followed by cautious physical therapy and rehab. I am now almost 100%, I am not great going up/down stairs but I'm working on that hard.

ANyway. I wanted to tell you that this is going to be a rough period but it will be over and in your rear view mirror. You *can* get yourself back into good shape. Same as you used to be? Heck, you weren't going to be same as you were no matter what because time marches on. You will adjust and you will feel great again and do things you love. Some of them you might do in a different way but you'll be happy nonetheless, you have an excellent outlook and a positive attitude.

Okay, specifics: I work at one of the most famous healthcare institutions in the world. So I would like to pass on some of what I learn at work and when my ortho experience was raging. Discuss any of this with your ortho surgeon. Here was my regimen.

1. Antiinflammatories.
Research these. My ortho surgeon tells me that the outlook and use of these has changed. I was told NO antiinflammatories, they have been found to impede healing. You will have to endure the swelling and let it go down in its own good time to get the healing effects it is part of.
2. Anticoagulation--that is what prevents patients from getting a pulmonary embolism or DVT while immobilized.
If you aren't taking Lovenox, Coumadin or warfarin (I was not) take an 81-mg aspirin either daily or every other day (I did).
3. Wobenzym N.
This is a supplement, available on Amazon and healthfood stores, Whole Foods, Sprouts. I started this at injury/stress dosing while I was in rehab (after fracture healed by imaging verification). It took away all the swelling, all the excess debris in my knee, and 99% of my pain.
4. Home healthcare assistance.
I cried the day my husband went to work (2 days after the injury). I did not know how to don/doff my immobilizer, go to the restroom alone, etc etc. He had approved FMLA for 3 months to work part time and take care of me part time. If your hubbie is not on FMLA for this, ask your coverage for a home healthcare aide. Need not be a nurse.
5. Sleep.
I could hardly sleep in the Arizona summer with my immobilizer on. I asked to be shown and try on different immobilizers, and wound up with one for daytime and one for nighttime/sleep. Ask to try Xanax or Ativan for helping with sleep or when you get anxious and upset. I went without pain medication but if you are on narcotics talk to your doctor about benzos and pain meds, I don't believe they go well together. Your doctor can recommend tramadol for sleep or something else.
6. Skin.
I got a rash from all the time in the immobilizer. Ask ahead of time for triamcinolone 0.1% cream if you get a skin reaction from the immobilizer.
7. Make sure you are getting vitamin D so that your calcium is happening. Watch your diet for maximal bone health.
'
I'll be watching your posts, I'll be here if you have questions, comments, etc.

YOU CAN DO THIS! YOU WILL WIN!!!! GO MISSY!!!!

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Also:
Request copies on CD of all your images done to date including both x-ray, ultrasound and CT scans AND the radiologist's report for each set of images. This is a must. Get a binder, get plastic insertie things, and start your binder of clinical notes from your physician visits and images/radiologist's report. It is Fed law, when a patient requests those copies they are done; most hospitals and physicians do not charge for these. They can email you the images but get the disks too. Most patients request these, you won't seem high maintenance.

If you have some time before your surgery, either bank some of your own blood or the blood of someone in your family who has a compatible blood type/will be clean for HIV, Hep C, CMV, etc etc. Make sure you are shown this bagged blood right before your surgery, you know they have it if needed because you saw it in the operating room.

Have your surgery on a Tues/Wed if possible (if you needed more help a weekend is not a good time to get that help).

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have your DH go down the 'adult assistance' aisle at Walgreens or CVS, Get a grabber, you'll want this to pick stuff up you can't safely reach. I got a 4-wheeled walker with seat at Costco, I used it a night to stay steady, it folds up, it has a front pack for your phone, a beverage, etc.

And get your Handicapped parking plaque; you and DH don't need to be parking in the hinterlands these days.

Sorry the three posts, its been almost 2 years, my accident happened in August 2012, and I don't think about it much anymore!

See? In 2 years you'll not think of it much either!!!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
azstonie|1404250113|3704742 said:
Hi Missy:

I am a long time PS lurker, although I was active on Colored Stones years ago. My azstonie name is close to what I had before.

I wanted to post to you so I rejoined.

I broke my leg in 3 places including the knee 2 years ago walking out to my pool to rehab my Westie who was recovering from hip replacement surgery. I was not a surgical candidate so I had a period of total immobilization followed by cautious physical therapy and rehab. I am now almost 100%, I am not great going up/down stairs but I'm working on that hard.

ANyway. I wanted to tell you that this is going to be a rough period but it will be over and in your rear view mirror. You *can* get yourself back into good shape. Same as you used to be? Heck, you weren't going to be same as you were no matter what because time marches on. You will adjust and you will feel great again and do things you love. Some of them you might do in a different way but you'll be happy nonetheless, you have an excellent outlook and a positive attitude.

Okay, specifics: I work at one of the most famous healthcare institutions in the world. So I would like to pass on some of what I learn at work and when my ortho experience was raging. Discuss any of this with your ortho surgeon. Here was my regimen.

1. Antiinflammatories.
Research these. My ortho surgeon tells me that the outlook and use of these has changed. I was told NO antiinflammatories, they have been found to impede healing. You will have to endure the swelling and let it go down in its own good time to get the healing effects it is part of.
2. Anticoagulation--that is what prevents patients from getting a pulmonary embolism or DVT while immobilized.
If you aren't taking Lovenox, Coumadin or warfarin (I was not) take an 81-mg aspirin either daily or every other day (I did).
3. Wobenzym N.
This is a supplement, available on Amazon and healthfood stores, Whole Foods, Sprouts. I started this at injury/stress dosing while I was in rehab (after fracture healed by imaging verification). It took away all the swelling, all the excess debris in my knee, and 99% of my pain.
4. Home healthcare assistance.
I cried the day my husband went to work (2 days after the injury). I did not know how to don/doff my immobilizer, go to the restroom alone, etc etc. He had approved FMLA for 3 months to work part time and take care of me part time. If your hubbie is not on FMLA for this, ask your coverage for a home healthcare aide. Need not be a nurse.
5. Sleep.
I could hardly sleep in the Arizona summer with my immobilizer on. I asked to be shown and try on different immobilizers, and wound up with one for daytime and one for nighttime/sleep. Ask to try Xanax or Ativan for helping with sleep or when you get anxious and upset. I went without pain medication but if you are on narcotics talk to your doctor about benzos and pain meds, I don't believe they go well together. Your doctor can recommend tramadol for sleep or something else.
6. Skin.
I got a rash from all the time in the immobilizer. Ask ahead of time for triamcinolone 0.1% cream if you get a skin reaction from the immobilizer.
7. Make sure you are getting vitamin D so that your calcium is happening. Watch your diet for maximal bone health.
'
I'll be watching your posts, I'll be here if you have questions, comments, etc.

YOU CAN DO THIS! YOU WILL WIN!!!! GO MISSY!!!!

Aztonie, thank you so much for rejoining to post to me. Your post made me cry too and also in a good way because you took the time to help someone you don't even know. Thank you!!!

I am so sorry you went through all that. Truly horrible. And I am so happy for you that you are almost back to 100%. Amazing! And I hope your sweet westie is doing well too :)
I know it was a long tough road and I know I might be going through a similar path but sharing your experience with me is unbelievably helpful.

I didn't know about the cream for potential rashes and if there's a possibility of getting a rash I get it. I have eczema and rosacea and PLE and really sensitive skin. And didn't even know about FMLA. I just googled it and will ask my dh about it. He might just want to go to work LOL.

I think it is Lovenox that my dh is injecting into my stomach every morning. The orthopedist put me on that when I met him yesterday. He wanted to put me on anti-inflammatories but I requested not to (not because I knew about it slowing down healing just learned that from you) because of a past esophagitis. So thanks because now I know to refuse them if they want to put me on them after my surgery.

Never heard of Wobenzym N and just checked that out too. Looks great, thank you! I am going to order it now to get ready for after surgery. And it's gluten, dairy and soy free so yay!

Vitamin D's not a problem. I spoke with the PA at the orthopedist's office this afternoon and he said they never had anyone with as high a Vit D as me. I tested over 96 ng/ml. He wants me to cut back from 5000 IU's D3 a day to 1500 IU's D3. I am on high D because I wear sunblock whenever I am outside and it is supposed to be helpful for rosacea but I will cut back to 2000 IU's and just make sure that my blood levels don't get too low.

Home healthcare assistance. That's where I am sort of hesitating. I know it's important because I won't be able to do a lot of everyday activities for a long while after the surgery. Heck, I have trouble just getting off the couch and going to the bathroom without help. And I am sort of clumsy with the crutches and on top of it all get a bit seasick on them and the foldable wheelchair we are borrowing. So I realize I need to look into it. I guess I am just hoping that after a week in the hospital I will reassess where I am and then take it from there. Thanks for reinforcing the importance of having someone to help me when I am back home.

And sleep is definitely a concern and thanks for the reminder about sleeping pills not mixing well with pain meds. I will ask the surgeon about that for sure. On top of being stressed and nervous and in pain I cannot workout my anxiety the normal way (with exercise) so it's sort of a double whammy. I am trying to maintain an even keel and keep my perspective on all this but I am not brave at all. Believe me. I have many times during the day I cry but then I feel a bit better and I can go on. I'm in it for the long haul and need to take it step by step. Thank you so very much for your strong words of support and encouragement. I cannot express how much that means to me and for you taking the time to do all this to help me. Thank you!!! And biggest (((hugs)))!

azstonie|1404251441|3704755 said:
Also:
Request copies on CD of all your images done to date including both x-ray, ultrasound and CT scans AND the radiologist's report for each set of images. This is a must. Get a binder, get plastic insertie things, and start your binder of clinical notes from your physician visits and images/radiologist's report. It is Fed law, when a patient requests those copies they are done; most hospitals and physicians do not charge for these. They can email you the images but get the disks too. Most patients request these, you won't seem high maintenance.

If you have some time before your surgery, either bank some of your own blood or the blood of someone in your family who has a compatible blood type/will be clean for HIV, Hep C, CMV, etc etc. Make sure you are shown this bagged blood right before your surgery, you know they have it if needed because you saw it in the operating room.

Have your surgery on a Tues/Wed if possible (if you needed more help a weekend is not a good time to get that help).

azstonie said:
Have your DH go down the 'adult assistance' aisle at Walgreens or CVS, Get a grabber, you'll want this to pick stuff up you can't safely reach. I got a 4-wheeled walker with seat at Costco, I used it a night to stay steady, it folds up, it has a front pack for your phone, a beverage, etc.

And get your Handicapped parking plaque; you and DH don't need to be parking in the hinterlands these days.

Sorry the three posts, its been almost 2 years, my accident happened in August 2012, and I don't think about it much anymore!

See? In 2 years you'll not think of it much either!!!

Thank you for this additional valuable info! I didn't do any of this. I am sending a note to myself and dh to make sure I do all of it. I don't know if I have time to bank my own blood. Surgery is Monday. I hope Monday is an OK day for surgery. It's not final yet though. And I will have to find out if the HSS will let me do the banking of my blood tomorrow when I am going to get final medical clearance for the surgery. If not there's not much time because of the July 4th holiday. Thanks again for that info!

And thanks for the info on the assistance items at the drugstore. It sounds like it will be very handy for me!

All the best for your continued healing and doing well and I know you will be running up and down those stairs in no time. :appl: :appl: :appl:

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love PS, I come to the Hangout every single day so post to me and I'll see it and respond :wavey: I've read your posts for years, feel as though I know you a little even though you haven't 'seen' me.

My sweet Westie girl has two replaced hips and is doing AWESOME thank you and she loves swimming with her mom every day in the 109 degree AZ heat today! You, Missy, are going to learn to love swimming if you don't now, its weightless on your joints! (Good PT and rehab places have a 0 gravity treadmill, that's in the future for you but they are out there!)

Re Mondays for surgery, they are usually the best day. You have the entire week to be able to contact anyone/everyone who can help you after your surgery if you need it. The weekends are tough, I broke my leg/knee on a Sunday and it was not the A Team in the Emergency Room that day LOL. :nono:

Get the surgeon's after hours telephone number or his designee's telephone number if something happens at night/on weekends. Make copies, give to your mom, your DH, your fridge, etc.

Re banked blood, see if you can get your DH typed, anyone in your family. There is enough time for them to donate before a Monday surgery (today is Tuesday).

I too suffer from anxiety. I was freaked out about not having my healthy outlet of daily exercise. It was FINE, I was so tired at the end of every day I did not ruminate a night (and I took a Xanax or an Ativan if I needed help). You're going to be okay on this front; if you have a counselor you see, or have seen, get on their radar screen for telephone sessions to check in and vent.

FMLA, its the law of the land. Illnesses of family members qualifies easily. He just asks HR for the forms, has your ortho surgeon fill them out, returns them to work. Pay/not paid is up to what policies were in place at his employment. Your home health aide should be covered under your health insurance.

Cry whenever you want, its cleansing. Then watch something funny on TV, eat a little treat, play with your pets, etc. It all passes.

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Missy, is your tetanus shot up to date? If not, get one before your surgery. SOP before surgeries but its amazing how many surgeons forget this one. See if you can get just the tetanus/diphtheria and not with the pertussis (the pertussis portion can be hard on people).

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
azstonie|1404253858|3704787 said:
I love PS, I come to the Hangout every single day so post to me and I'll see it and respond :wavey: I've read your posts for years, feel as though I know you a little even though you haven't 'seen' me.

My sweet Westie girl has two replaced hips and is doing AWESOME thank you and she loves swimming with her mom every day in the 109 degree AZ heat today! You, Missy, are going to learn to love swimming if you don't now, its weightless on your joints! (Good PT and rehab places have a 0 gravity treadmill, that's in the future for you but they are out there!)

Re Mondays for surgery, they are usually the best day. You have the entire week to be able to contact anyone/everyone who can help you after your surgery if you need it. The weekends are tough, I broke my leg/knee on a Sunday and it was not the A Team in the Emergency Room that day LOL. :nono:

Get the surgeon's after hours telephone number or his designee's telephone number if something happens at night/on weekends. Make copies, give to your mom, your DH, your fridge, etc.

Re banked blood, see if you can get your DH typed, anyone in your family. There is enough time for them to donate before a Monday surgery (today is Tuesday).

I too suffer from anxiety. I was freaked out about not having my healthy outlet of daily exercise. It was FINE, I was so tired at the end of every day I did not ruminate a night (and I took a Xanax or an Ativan if I needed help). You're going to be okay on this front; if you have a counselor you see, or have seen, get on their radar screen for telephone sessions to check in and vent.

FMLA, its the law of the land. Illnesses of family members qualifies easily. He just asks HR for the forms, has your ortho surgeon fill them out, returns them to work. Pay/not paid is up to what policies were in place at his employment. Your home health aide should be covered under your health insurance.

Cry whenever you want, its cleansing. Then watch something funny on TV, eat a little treat, play with your pets, etc. It all passes.

Thank you again Azstonie. I am learning a lot from your informative posts!
And so happy your darling Westie girl is great! Double hip replacement wow. I know you are a fellow animal lover no question about that! :appl:

109 degrees you definitely need to be in water I agree. I guess it will be good for my therapy. Not sure where there is a pool around here because last time I needed PT I went to a hospital near me and their PT dept had no pool but I think where I am going this time will be a lot more involved and I guess I will make peace with swimming. Still have flashbacks to when I was on the swim team and the smell of chlorine brings back some stressful times but I will get over that fast enough if it helps me get my functioning back that's for sure!

I spoke with my dh and he said he ran into the COO today and spoke to him about me and my hospital stay next week and they have no problem at all with him working in a flexible manner. So that's enough for us. The way he works anyway even when he takes off he needs to be on call because he's the head of his group but I so appreciate the flexibility he has at this job that I have no complaints whatsoever. Thanks for that info though. Good to know.

I *think* my tetanus is up to date but my dh actually is seeing our internist tomorrow (after my medicalist appt at HSS) for a measles shot. Turns out he's not immune. Our internist tested him at our physical in May. So I will have him ask our doctor when I last had the shot. Thanks for that! I am beginning to think the surgeons need to make a checklist for each of their patients about this stuff because most people don't have PSers helping them!!!

Thank you again for helping me! Now all I have to do is survive the surgery and hope the surgeon can fix the bones well and I am ready to do anything I need to do to get back my function. I'm ready for the hard work. I just am scared about the surgery and hospital. But your posts made me feel so much more prepared! :wavey:

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
When you know the day/time of your surgery be sure to post that so at that time we can all pray for you, your DH and the surgeon, send all good vibes and thoughts, DUST!, all the many ways people here lift each other up when its crunch time.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Please, please don't take sleeping pills with pain meds. If I remembering correctly that can be a lethal mix. I took the sleeping pill Ambien a few years back and was taking Vicodin for migraines a couple times a month and the doctor said NEVER mix the two.

It broke my heart to hear you say you cry a few times a day. I can't wait until all of this is a faint memory for you. Please post when you start feeling bad so we can all try to lift your spirits. Your kind nature comes thru on all your posts Missy. You have so people wanting to help you.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
azstonie|1404255651|3704800 said:
When you know the day/time of your surgery be sure to post that so at that time we can all pray for you, your DH and the surgeon, send all good vibes and thoughts, DUST!, all the many ways people here lift each other up when its crunch time.

Definitely. Only problem is I might not find out the time until the night before but as soon as I know it I will post it here. Thanks!

Calliecake said:
Please, please don't take sleeping pills with pain meds. If I remembering correctly that can be a lethal mix. I took the sleeping pill Ambien a few years back and was taking Vicodin for migraines a couple times a month and the doctor said NEVER mix the two.

It broke my heart to hear you say you cry a few times a day. I can't wait until all of this is a faint memory for you. Please post when you start feeling bad so we can all try to lift your spirits. Your kind nature comes thru on all your posts Missy. You have so people wanting to help you.

Aww Callie, I'm sorry. It is not my intention to make anyone feel sad. I am trying to be strong but I think just knowing all that can go wrong is scary. Hopefully it will all go just right and then I know I can do the work necessary to get to the best possible place I can get. I understand it will take a very long time and that isn't even what scares me. It's just not knowing for sure I will come out of the surgery OK. I just have to quiet my mind and posting here does that though I know at times it seems the opposite with my free flowing thoughts here and all. Thank you for caring and for those lovely things you wrote. I feel the same about you. (((Hugs))).

And just for a little levity Tommy seems to have hijacked the foldable wheelchair and I have to say he looks much more handsome in it than I do!

competitionformywheelchairlol.jpg

onecooltommycat.jpg

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
missy|1404259157|3704852 said:
azstonie|1404255651|3704800 said:

Definitely. Only problem is I might not find out the time until the night before but as soon as I know it I will post it here. Thanks!

Calliecake said:

Aww Callie, I'm sorry. It is not my intention to make anyone feel sad. I am trying to be strong but I think just knowing all that can go wrong is scary. Hopefully it will all go just right and then I know I can do the work necessary to get to the best possible place I can get. I understand it will take a very long time and that isn't even what scares me. It's just not knowing for sure I will come out of the surgery OK. I just have to quiet my mind and posting here does that though I know at times it seems the opposite with my free flowing thoughts here and all. Thank you for caring and for those lovely things you wrote. I feel the same about you. (((Hugs))).

And just for a little levity Tommy seems to have hijacked the foldable wheelchair and I have to say he looks much more handsome in it than I do!

You are being such a trooper thru all if this. Please don't worry about coming out of the surgery. I've had probably 10 surgeries and woke up from all of them okay. I think everyone has that fear before being put under. We just have to get you thru this next week than you can focus on your recovery and all the wonderful things ahead for you and your DH.

If you need anyone to watch Tommy. I'm your girl. He seems to really like his new spot so you may be needing a new chair!!! All your babies are going to love having you home with them.

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Callie is correct re benzodiazepines and narcotics, definite NOT. So dangerous. Its an either/or situation with those two.

If you are not on narcotics, then you can try Xanax or Ativan to help with anxiety and sleep. I took one Percocet the first night of my fractures and that was the last oral pain med I took, so I was fine to take the Xanax to help with sleep and I was pretty nervous on doctor appointment days---fitting in the back of our small car with one leg extended and immobilized, getting out of the car at the clinic, etc., so I took 0.5 mg on those days.

If you need the narcotics by all means take them, uncontrolled pain is not okay. Ask your ortho for something that can work with them for sleep.

BTW, I used Voltaren gel directly on my knee and ankle and man, that was the only way I could sleep. I love that stuff. Its great for pain relief for any area or joint that is close to the surface: Fingers, hands, elbows, wrists, knees, ankles. I've heard some people use it on their neck. It got me through rehab and physical therapy. If you have heart problems it is contraindicated. Ask your ortho guy about Voltaren gel, if not contraindicated I think your ankle would benefit. Keep doctors working with you apprised of the esophagitis.

Your surgery is going to come and go and you'll start feeling better, establishing a routine, having your physician checkups and then you will be in rehab before you know it! You might even get a cute physiatrist or physical therapist massing your leg, I did!!! That was heaven :wink2:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Callie. I appreciate your good thoughts and support!

Hi aztonie, I am on Vicodin 5mg/325mg q4-6 hours and I am using it sparingly. I take a pill first thing in the AM because I am in a lot of pain when I first wake up and before bed. Sometimes I have to take it during the day but it's not like the first 3 days after my injury where I was taking it (and advised by the doctor to do so) regularly so the pain wouldn't get out of control. Though it didn't seem to help very much those first few days. I am still in a good bit of pain but much less than those first few days. More like a 6-7 (sometimes a bit more) most of the day now. Ofc I occasionally slip and ouch!!! Like this AM I was so tired when I got up and well more unsteady than usual on my crutches and when I got to the bathroom I lost balance for a sec. Not a major touchdown thank goodness but enough to let me know there is some major problem with my leg/ankle. As if I needed that (not so gentle) reminder LOL.

Cute doctors and surgeons and PA's and nurses are all good by me. Eyecandy is always good and well my dh just told me I cannot wear my rings when I go to the hospital for surgery next week so I am going to need some eye candy yanno?! :cheeky: (no rings or other bling... :( )

A worrying new issue. I debated even posting this but I cannot tell the medicalist today for fear my surgery will be delayed. And maybe I am overreacting and I hope hope hope I am. I have what I *think* is a bedsore on my backside/butt. I cannot get a good look at it given my situation but I was in discomfort all day yesterday and before bed last night I tried to get a look and saw it was all red and even almost bleeding and called my dh and he was confounded as to what it is too. He put neosporin on it and a bandaid (it's about 4 mm in diameter according to my dh) and we went to bed. How's that for romance LOL. My dh band aiding my butt. OMG I thought helping me to the bathroom and helping me shower/bathe was already on the edge of being a romance killer well this just takes the cake... the fun just never ends. Haven't looked at it yet this AM but it's there. Feels like a big irritation/rubbing and well if it's a bedsore OMG only 4-5 days on rest orders and now what am I to do? Will this delay my surgery? I am worried if it becomes infected and yada yada. I am not sure if it happened because I am too skinny these days and have no cushioning on my butt anymore. I lost around 8 lbs this winter due to (a probable pill induced) esophagitis and never was able to get a grip on my health before I broke my leg this past Friday. I was just getting back to feeling better and then this happened unfortunately.

So as I said I hate posting all these intimate details. It's mortifying, it truly is but I am almost past embarrassment at this point because I desperately want to get better and heal and regain my energy and function. I am too young and motivated to let this take over and destroy me so I won't let it but what can/should I do about this rash/irritation/sore on my butt? I know what it's not and it is not a hemorrhoid and I just googled bed sore pics and again while I cannot fully see it well it sort of looks like a (what I hope is milder) milder version of the pics I googled. Any suggestions or advice?

ETA: And LOL this is one instance I just cannot post a pic and I am sure you all understand. Even if it didn't (and I am sure it does!) break all sorts of PS rules for indecency and all haha. But I am worried! :blackeye:

siamese3

Brilliant_Rock
Good morning, Missy!

I love the pic of Tommy hanging out in the wheel chair. My boys are genius at claiming any and and all seats in the house as their own. Witness Max & Kiki

Glad you made it through yesterday, but I'm sorry to hear of your latest issue. Yikes! I am sure all these problems seem never ending at this point. As far as the romance killer business..yep..it was tough for my DH having me (warning..TMI ahead) wipe his, well you know..shower him , etc. but he got over it quick. I just said..hey..it's life and it's probably the cleanest you've been since your mom cleaned your blankity blank. We just laughed our way through it as much as possible and I honestly think it made our marriage even, oh I don't know, deeper if possible.

wp_000241.jpg

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
Missy, that sounds like it COULD be a pressure sore. Please tell your doctor about it. They can become serious and so need to be monitored. Of course, if it's not then you will be reassured. Just don't hide it. You may need a special mattress that helps to prevent these kind of sores too. So please don't hide it. A small sore won't delay surgery but your medical team will want to know about any potential pressure points so you can get appropriate post-surgical care.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Missy, Please listen to Rosetta. It's always better to be honest with your doctor. The sore may be no big deal but if it is something he needs to look out for wouldn't you want to have it treated quickly?

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dear Missy,

just catching up on the last million posts here - you are obviously well-loved and have quite a fan club!

You are in my thoughts - and not just because you've been making demands on me lately :lol:

There is a Netflix series that I loved so much I watched it twice - called LIFE. Have you seen it? Not only it is smart & funny, it's cathartic AND Damian Lewis is great eye candy!

Waiting for your next report!

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Missy, we have been gone for a few days so I am just now seeing this. I am so sorry for all you have been through. My DH is a cyclist too and I am going to tell him about what happened to you with the clips. My goodness, you have had a difficult year. I am quite sure you will be back to your active self once you have completed healing. It may take some work and it will not be easy but you have the spirit to make it happen! Many prayers for you. Hang in there!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
missy|1404295469|3705073 said:
He put neosporin on it and a bandaid (it's about 4 mm in diameter according to my dh) and we went to bed. How's that for romance LOL. My dh band aiding my butt. OMG I thought helping me to the bathroom and helping me shower/bathe was already on the edge of being a romance killer well this just takes the cake... the fun just never ends. Haven't looked at it yet this AM but it's there. Feels like a big irritation/rubbing and well if it's a bedsore OMG only 4-5 days on rest orders and now what am I to do? Will this delay my surgery? I am worried if it becomes infected and yada yada. I am not sure if it happened because I am too skinny these days and have no cushioning on my butt anymore. I lost around 8 lbs this winter due to (a probable pill induced) esophagitis and never was able to get a grip on my health before I broke my leg this past Friday. I was just getting back to feeling better and then this happened unfortunately.

Missy, hope you feel better soon!..
457492dro0rb016c.gif

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results