carat
color
clarity

Now I really did it :((

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
http://www.aapmr.org/patients/aboutpmr/pages/physiatrist.aspx

Missy, this link is for when you are done with surgery, recovered from surgery, and getting ready for physical therapy and rehab.

Patients who have used a physiatrist seem to do better, faster. There are great physical therapists out there, the trick is finding them. My experience in PT was not great, I wound up at a patient mill (too many patients in one place at one time, my PT would have 3 or 4 of us scheduled during the same hour, his attention was not focused on any one patient, and I was worried about one of the unsteady/elderly patients crashing or falling into me). I stopped that and had a physiatrist for awhile and then I was ready to be on my own.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would agree with Azstonie about the physiatrist. We had one when my son was re-habing from a TBI. I don't think he would be mobile today without one.

Since folk have been posting pics to this thread to cheer you up and keep your mind off the pain (not that that is really possible), I am going to include one too. It is of my DH on his first 100 mile race. When he got his first road bike and clip ins. he was testing them out at home, and riding his bike up and down the street. He got in front of our house, next to the curb and tried to un-clip. He couldn't do it,
and did a very slo-mo tip over onto the grass. Unfortunately for him, all of our kids happened to be out front and saw the whole thing. All five of them dissovled into fits of laughter and he has never lived it down. If anyone brings it up the jokes and imitations ensue and they are all practically hysterical. My youngest says it was the funniest thing he has ever seen. Of course, seeing your Dad in spandex is never a good thing, as well.

img_5015.jpg

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
azstonie|1404404299|3706060 said:
hi Missy!!!

Checked the Costco link, those 4-wheeled walkers, they are exactly what I mean. They will keep you much steadier and balanced than crutches. LOL, the leopard skin one and the zebra skin one :bigsmile:

Regarding the inflatable plastic donut: Colorectal docs will tell you not to use that, they interfere with circulation to your nether region. Until you get a roho cushion, use towels and cut foam pads to your dimension and fit to relieve and redistribute pressure, move your body into as many different positions/weight focus as you can safely do.

Can you stand? Lean against a wall corner with the walker in front of you, do this several times an hour for a few minutes?

Can you lay on your tummie to watch TV or read?

That is the kind of thinking you'll do to come with some ways to not sit or lie on your back/rear end.

Regarding what the docs said, I almost always get upset when the doctor gives me a diagnosis (to my ears, this feels like an accusation or criticism and I work in healthcare, crazy but there you go). I feel like I "failed a test" or something :lol: If I have a nonsensitive doctor speaking to me, I can be pretty steamed up. Regarding your being thin, you should HEAR what they say to overweight or obese people. Just so you know, unless a person is a perfect physical specimen you hear things about yourself that can just take your breath away. I'm sorry you had to go through that on top of all of the rest of it. Try to forget that if you can.

Thanks Azstonie. I hear you about feeling like I "failed a test" LOL. My dh always says this to me whenever I go to any doctor visit. Because I get nervous and try to be at my best and want my results to be "good" and he always teases me saying this is not a test haha. But it sort of is and I know you get that. I am also in healthcare so yeah I should know better too lol.

Not sure how to use the 4 wheel walkers. Love the pink one and leopard one too haha. I only can put weight on one leg. Can I still use those walkers? Sorry about being dense. I am not at my sharpest these days if you kwim.

I cannot lay on my stomach or side. My leg is just too painful to manipulate in any way. When I get up (which I do occasionally for bathroom breaks and food/drink) my leg starts throbbing like he**. I have been using the donut as the ortho surgeon gave me the OK but now I am worried about that based on what you wrote and what you wrote makes sense.

As for the roho cushion do you also recommend I buy that and if so would you recommend this one. It looks very complicated to set up but perhaps someone at the HSS can advise me and help me set it up. I bet my doctors have no clue because when I asked them what could I use to prevent the pressure sores from getting worse they said nothing but moving position.
http://www.pressuresorecushions.com/p-226-roho-high-profile-quadtro-select-cushion.aspx

azstonie said:
http://www.aapmr.org/patients/aboutpmr/pages/physiatrist.aspx

Missy, this link is for when you are done with surgery, recovered from surgery, and getting ready for physical therapy and rehab.

Patients who have used a physiatrist seem to do better, faster. There are great physical therapists out there, the trick is finding them. My experience in PT was not great, I wound up at a patient mill (too many patients in one place at one time, my PT would have 3 or 4 of us scheduled during the same hour, his attention was not focused on any one patient, and I was worried about one of the unsteady/elderly patients crashing or falling into me). I stopped that and had a physiatrist for awhile and then I was ready to be on my own.

Thank for the physiatrist rec. Definitely will try to do that. Hoping insurance will cover that service. I had a similar PT experience. Run like a patient mill with very little individualized attention. Definitely not ideal and for this injury rehab I want to start with the best services possible so I can optimize my recovery. I am ready to work as hard as I can and need the proper foundation to do so and that means a good therapy program behind me.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
luv2sparkle|1404410378|3706129 said:
I would agree with Azstonie about the physiatrist. We had one when my son was re-habing from a TBI. I don't think he would be mobile today without one.

Since folk have been posting pics to this thread to cheer you up and keep your mind off the pain (not that that is really possible), I am going to include one too. It is of my DH on his first 100 mile race. When he got his first road bike and clip ins. he was testing them out at home, and riding his bike up and down the street. He got in front of our house, next to the curb and tried to un-clip. He couldn't do it,
and did a very slo-mo tip over onto the grass. Unfortunately for him, all of our kids happened to be out front and saw the whole thing. All five of them dissovled into fits of laughter and he has never lived it down. If anyone brings it up the jokes and imitations ensue and they are all practically hysterical. My youngest says it was the funniest thing he has ever seen. Of course, seeing your Dad in spandex is never a good thing, as well.

Luv2sparkle, OMG, so glad your son is all better now! Very scary!
And thanks for the pic. LOL I think we can all relate to what happened to your dh in one way or another. If I counted the times I made a fool of myself. And yeah, spandex not the best look on anyone let alone men. Though I have to say if you own it rock it and you will look good!!! :bigsmile:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Calliecake|1404405081|3706069 said:
Missy, I hope you are feeling better and today is a good day for you. Pricescope will certainly put a smile on your face this morning. I know you have also read some of the other topics on here today.

Thank you for your very kind comments. Are you sure we don't share the same mom? My mom is getting older And I realize I may not have a lot of years left with her. I need to ignore her comments and thank G-d she is still here with me.

I know it's hard for you right now but your sweet grandmother was so right. This too shall pass and you will back to feeling like yourself again soon. You are a very special person and so loved by all who know you!

Thanks Callie.You are such a sweetheart. Big hugs to you.

I also realize that we just don't know how much time we have left with our loved ones and we need to make the most of that time that we do have and not fill it with arguing. It's not easy much of the time and believe me I don't often follow my own advice concerning my mom but I am going to try that again. In fact my parents just left and they brought my darling nieces with them today and we had a lovely visit. Pics to follow just because they are so adorable IMO. Course I am biased. ;))

funwithcrutches.jpg

funwithchair.jpg

whatchacomplainingaboutauntmissythisiseasy.jpg

soeasyitschildsplay.jpg

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Missy, you are not biased....they are ADORABLE!!! Aren't nieces the best!!!!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hospital for Special Surgery called and I am scheduled for surgery Monday July 7th at 12pm Noon.

I have to be there at 9AM and she said I could have clear liquids (including my coffee) till I get there but no food after midnight. Not sure I am going to have much of an appetite anyway that morning but glad I can have my morning coffee!

I am getting an epidural and spinal. I requested no general anesthesia and they told me they don't do that anyway usually. But of course I don't even know what an epidural and spinal entail in terms of side effects but I know my dh had a wicked headache from one of these. But still no general is good in terms of me always being scared of not waking up with general. I hope I don't have a false sense of security with these other forms of anesthesia. LOL I actually asked the woman who called me about my surgery if I could die from a spinal and epidural. LOL she was very nice but I am sure she didn't need that question haha. I am such a baby sometimes! :roll:

Thank you all for keeping me in your prayers and thinking good wishes for me. I want to be around to gaze upon PSers gorgeous bling for many years to come! :appl:

Calliecake|1404413958|3706183 said:
Missy, you are not biased....they are ADORABLE!!! Aren't nieces the best!!!!

Thank you Callie! Yes, nieces are the best. :appl:

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your nieces look like great girls, I'm glad your parents brought them by so you can remember your inner tweener!

Re the roho cusions, they look like da bomb to me but they also look like an item that requires good fitting. I would say call Roho, ask them who a fitter is in your area, believe me, they know who fits well. Then go get fitted.

Re walker, hmmmm, its possible since you aren't toe-touch-weightbearing yet that crutches are the best alternative *but* when your doc tells you you can progress from the crutches you will want one of those Costco 4-wheeled rolling walkers.

Remember I mentioned that there are all kinds of immobilizers and braces out there? Make friends with the guy/girl who fits you or casts you. You want to see *all* the options whenever you 'get' something. I asked and found a good immobilizer for daywear haha and a good one to wear to bed (much lighter weight). I would never have known about there being more than one option had not the ortho surgeon's cast/tech guy offered.

(Surgeons are interesting people. Some of them have terrific relationship skills and are interested in your postop recovery. Some only think about you in terms of when you are on that operating room table. Basically when a surgeon evaluates you the first thing they check for is can they help you, are their skills specific to your problem. Second is would you survive anesthesia. Third is are you responsible with yourself and will you follow instructions and take care of yourself after surgery and not screw up his/her work.)

Re headache from spinal/epidural, if you wake up with a headache ask for Neurology or Neurosurgery to make/administer a blood patch ASAP. This will take the headache away.

I have never heard of a patient dying FROM the spinal or epidural. You won't die. The worst I know of is that post epidural/spinal headache OR we did have a patient who worked himself into such a state that he had a small MI (he also had hypertension and coronary artery disease) but he did not die and he had no lingering effects or problems. He did, however, scare the nurse pretty good :nono:

Practice your paced breathing, have a smooth cool rock to hold onto or some small object you love, have earbuds or headphones for meditation music, just stay in the moment, know that you are okay, know that you are young and healthy and a survivor and many, many people hold you up in their thoughts and hearts.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yay for the surgery date! You will be fine and do well. You're just biding time now - after Monday you're on the road to recovery!

I am sure it is scary and nerve wracking but if it has to be done bring it on so you can get on with it! We will all be thinking about you and interested in hearing from you as soon as you are able! Hugs to you!

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Enjoy your coffee and have a good amount of liquids the day before per your instructions. If you are well hydrated you have good access in your veins!

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Missy! What are we going to do with you? This is just awful. :nono:

I feel terrible for you, and wish you a speedy recovery! You poor thing!

I haven't read through the thread, has your pain been addressed? Are you feeling any better? The thing about pain is, don't fear it. That will make you clinch up and tense, and make it worse. It's natural to be hurting right now, don't worry, try to relax as best you can. Roll with it, that always helps me. Let it wash over, or visualize it in a way that helps. I actually use diving into it as a visualizer and that helped when I was giving birth (to 2 kids with giant 98th percentile heads!). And remember, it WILL be over one day. Concentrate on that day, this is not forever. It's just temporary. You will NOT feel like this forever, I swear.

I noticed the pictures, so I'm adding a pic of one of DH's paintings, something summery and fun, to cheer you up.

Feel better, young lady. :)

sunflowerlr.jpg

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
MissGotRocks|1404418413|3706219 said:
Yay for the surgery date! You will be fine and do well. You're just biding time now - after Monday you're on the road to recovery!

I am sure it is scary and nerve wracking but if it has to be done bring it on so you can get on with it! We will all be thinking about you and interested in hearing from you as soon as you are able! Hugs to you!

Thank you MissGotRocks! You are right of course and I just want to get it over with so I can begin my healing journey. I will absolutely keep you posted. I am taking PS with me the whole way I hope! The hospital said there is internet wifi and I am bringing my laptop. Interestingly when the hospital called this afternoon they said don't bring any jewelry. LOL do you think they know me haha.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
azstonie|1404417642|3706211 said:
Your nieces look like great girls, I'm glad your parents brought them by so you can remember your inner tweener!

Re the roho cusions, they look like da bomb to me but they also look like an item that requires good fitting. I would say call Roho, ask them who a fitter is in your area, believe me, they know who fits well. Then go get fitted.

Re walker, hmmmm, its possible since you aren't toe-touch-weightbearing yet that crutches are the best alternative *but* when your doc tells you you can progress from the crutches you will want one of those Costco 4-wheeled rolling walkers.

Remember I mentioned that there are all kinds of immobilizers and braces out there? Make friends with the guy/girl who fits you or casts you. You want to see *all* the options whenever you 'get' something. I asked and found a good immobilizer for daywear haha and a good one to wear to bed (much lighter weight). I would never have known about there being more than one option had not the ortho surgeon's cast/tech guy offered.

(Surgeons are interesting people. Some of them have terrific relationship skills and are interested in your postop recovery. Some only think about you in terms of when you are on that operating room table. Basically when a surgeon evaluates you the first thing they check for is can they help you, are their skills specific to your problem. Second is would you survive anesthesia. Third is are you responsible with yourself and will you follow instructions and take care of yourself after surgery and not screw up his/her work.)

Re headache from spinal/epidural, if you wake up with a headache ask for Neurology or Neurosurgery to make/administer a blood patch ASAP. This will take the headache away.

I have never heard of a patient dying FROM the spinal or epidural. You won't die. The worst I know of is that post epidural/spinal headache OR we did have a patient who worked himself into such a state that he had a small MI (he also had hypertension and coronary artery disease) but he did not die and he had no lingering effects or problems. He did, however, scare the nurse pretty good :nono:

Practice your paced breathing, have a smooth cool rock to hold onto or some small object you love, have earbuds or headphones for meditation music, just stay in the moment, know that you are okay, know that you are young and healthy and a survivor and many, many people hold you up in their thoughts and hearts.

azstonie said:
Enjoy your coffee and have a good amount of liquids the day before per your instructions. If you are well hydrated you have good access in your veins!

Thanks again for the tips and info. I am taking it all in and it is very helpful and calms me to know what I need to know so thank you azstonie! That's what I thought re the ROHO. I will call them and find out who to go to in my area and if all else fails speak to my doctors and see if they have any recommendations.

As for my veins they are quite accessible as is. That is one area that is a breeze for the medical staff when dealing with me. My veins practically do it for them haha.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
iLander|1404420346|3706236 said:
Missy! What are we going to do with you? This is just awful. :nono:

I feel terrible for you, and wish you a speedy recovery! You poor thing!

I haven't read through the thread, has your pain been addressed? Are you feeling any better? The thing about pain is, don't fear it. That will make you clinch up and tense, and make it worse. It's natural to be hurting right now, don't worry, try to relax as best you can. Roll with it, that always helps me. Let it wash over, or visualize it in a way that helps. I actually use diving into it as a visualizer and that helped when I was giving birth (to 2 kids with giant 98th percentile heads!). And remember, it WILL be over one day. Concentrate on that day, this is not forever. It's just temporary. You will NOT feel like this forever, I swear.

I noticed the pictures, so I'm adding a pic of one of DH's paintings, something summery and fun, to cheer you up.

Feel better, young lady. :)

Thank you dear iLander. Beautiful painting. Thank you for sharing it with me.
And as always good advice. Right now on the pain front I am not bad. I know I will be in a lot of pain for a few days after the surgery just like I was for a few days after I broke my tibia and fibula last week but this time at least I will be starting the healing process so I think I will be more ready for it. Knowing there's an end (sort of) in sight. The hardest part is knowing I will have to be in a cast for at least 6 (?) months. Not going to be easy but I can be tough when I need to be. I mean we Brooklyn girls are tough cookies yanno? :cheeky:

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
http://www.hss.edu/

Is this your HSS?

Impressive.

They have everything you could need. Re that ROHO cushion, I would just bet you the Physiatry Dept there can either fit you for one or refer you also.

This place looks just great. :appl:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
azstonie|1404421032|3706244 said:
http://www.hss.edu/

Is this your HSS?

Impressive.

They have everything you could need. Re that ROHO cushion, I would just bet you the Physiatry Dept there can either fit you for one or refer you also.

This place looks just great. :appl:

Hi azstonie, that's the place. The main reason I went there is because of their reputation and my mom's trauma orthopedic surgeon. Just hope they live up to their stellar rep with my surgery...fingers crossed it all goes well. I will be so relieved when it is over and if my surgeon tells me the surgery went well and that I will be just fine with hard work and time. That is what I am praying and hoping for and everything else is just gravy! Thanks so much for taking me step by step and for all your help and I will keep you posted. :wavey:

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Missy, I think it is very good for you to have the epidural/ and or spinal. I have had them with 4 of my 5 kids and I remember pain management being easier with them. When I had general anesthesia they had to let me come completely out of it before they could give me any pain meds. With the epidural they could give me morphine before the epidural wore off. That is good news for you, maybe then you can be done with the worst of the pain!

I will be praying for you this weekend and hope you can get through it easily!

Your nieces are completely adorable, so I don't think you hare biased at all!

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
iLander, your husband is so talented! I love his sunflower painting!

Missy, I've been thinking about you. I know it's hard not being able to do much right now, but rest is probably one of the things you need most, anyway. Take advantage of it! Good thoughts will be sent your way on Monday.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
luv2sparkle|1404422838|3706255 said:
Missy, I think it is very good for you to have the epidural/ and or spinal. I have had them with 4 of my 5 kids and I remember pain management being easier with them. When I had general anesthesia they had to let me come completely out of it before they could give me any pain meds. With the epidural they could give me morphine before the epidural wore off. That is good news for you, maybe then you can be done with the worst of the pain!

I will be praying for you this weekend and hope you can get through it easily!

Your nieces are completely adorable, so I don't think you hare biased at all!

Thank you luv2sparkle. I guess I need both but seems like a lot of anesthesia.
My nieces make me laugh so hard. They do and say the funniest things. They really are miniature adults sometimes with what comes out of their mouths lol. I appreciate your good wishes and prayers!

Zoe said:
iLander, your husband is so talented! I love his sunflower painting!

Missy, I've been thinking about you. I know it's hard not being able to do much right now, but rest is probably one of the things you need most, anyway. Take advantage of it! Good thoughts will be sent your way on Monday.

Thank you Zoe! Very much appreciate all the good thoughts!

minidancer

Shiny_Rock
I can't look at that link and not smile. So many cute animals-- I want them all! :bigsmile:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Question for anyone who might know:
Can I bring my own pillows to the hospital? I am a very sensitive sleeper and need a certain fluff and type of pillow. Do you think they would let me sleep with my own? I would be happy to use their pillowcases if they wanted me to (though I would prefer my satin pillowcases since that is what I am used to) but I hope they will allow me to use my own pillows at least.

Minidancer, I know, those animals are too precious!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
missy|1404430528|3706319 said:
Can I bring my own pillows to the hospital? I am a very sensitive sleeper and need a certain fluff and type of pillow. Do you think they would let me sleep with my own? I would be happy to use their pillowcases if they wanted me to (though I would prefer my satin pillowcases since that is what I am used to) but I hope they will allow me to use my own pillows at least.

of course!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
canuk-gal|1404431943|3706330 said:

of course!

Thank you Sharon!

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium

of course!

+1 I can't imagine you are the first person to bring your own pillow and pillow case.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Calliecake|1404437944|3706402 said:

of course!

+1 I can't imagine you are the first person to bring your own pillow and pillow case.

Thanks Callie. It's just that even when things seem straightforward and common sense (to us) sometimes bureaucracy messes it all up. So hopefully it won't be an issue.

I had a very uncomfortable night last night with my back hurting/backside irritated and leg for some reason in a lot more pain than the prior day and night. Darling Francesca is now laying on the side of my left leg and she is so precious. Wish she could keep me company in the hospital. But I guess that's where they would draw the line lol.

frankielayingnexttobrokenlegandtommyweighinginontheactionorinactionasthecasemaybelol.jpg

frankiekeepingmeandmybrokenlegcompanythroughthenight.jpg

stoptakingpicsmommyimtryingtosleep.jpg

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
How do you manage to look so good even under these circumstances?!

sending 4th of July love-dust to you and your kitties.

Your question about pillows took me back in time a bit. After I gave birth the nice nurses asked me if I needed extra pillows ....only when I got the bill did I discover that those little "paper" pillows had cost $25 each!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jimmianne|1404472974|3706648 said:
How do you manage to look so good even under these circumstances?!

sending 4th of July love-dust to you and your kitties.

Your question about pillows took me back in time a bit. After I gave birth the nice nurses asked me if I needed extra pillows ....only when I got the bill did I discover that those little "paper" pillows had cost $25 each!

LOL I believe it. When the hospital called me yesterday telling me the time my surgery was scheduled I asked if I could bring my meds etc. And they said don't bother because everything I need will be provided to me. HA! I know that trick. At an exorbitant cost no doubt. I plan on bringing anything I think I might need med wise because I don't want to be at the mercy of bureaucracy and cost gauging. Just hope I am not breaking (too) many rules.

And thank you Jimmianne. Happy July 4th to you and your family too! And thanks for the compliment re my feet. They have looked better but truthfully they still look better than I feel!

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh no! Just read this post.:o Health is so important . Hope things get better soon. :):) ***sending good wishes your way***

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
mochiko42|1404474357|3706653 said:
Oh no! Just read this post.:o Health is so important . Hope things get better soon. :):) ***sending good wishes your way***

Thanks so much mochiko for your good wishes. PSers are helping in such a big way towards keeping my spirits high which is very important for physical healing. I so appreciate the time and energy people are taking to post here to cheer me up and keep me in a good emotional place. Thank you PSers! You all rock in so many ways. Diamonds only being a small (well not so small on PS lol) part of that. :appl: :appl: :appl:

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
2-1/2 days to getting the surgery over and out of the way! :appl: You're a trooper, keep going, just a little longer and you'll be waking up and on the path to strength :sun:

(For sure take your pillow to the hospital, if you are staying longer than a bed change/laundry cycle keep an eye on the pillow because you don't want it being trundled off to Laundry, that includes your nice satin pillowcase too!)

Love the pics of the kitties taking care of their mom. When I was laid up my Westies were right there, including jumping on my broken leg because I made the mistake of letting them see me holding a 4-pound rump roast!!! So don't get between your kitties and the tuna :lol:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results