shape
carat
color
clarity

Now I really did it :((

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Missy: you must inform your surgeon of this sore. He may still operate but can prescribe the special mattress, have the sore followed by a wound nurse, and it may slightly alter the antibiotics he covers you with after the surgery. This wound could disseminate some tough bacteria throughout your body postop and you don't want that.

Get a cellphone or tablet pic of the wound daily and measure each day. Rate any changes in redness swelling or drainage.

Decubitus ulcers have a grading system all their own and require expert treatment by a wound n u rose or infectious diseases physician. You will have plates/screws with your repair and an infection from the sore can go right for that and wreck them, requiring reoperation a n d debridement.

Using towels and foam pads, start getting the pressure of that spot.

Hang in there, it's going to be o k aye!!!!

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
're crutches---i found my Costco walker to be far superior to them and much safer too.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
siamese3|1404304808|3705139 said:
Good morning, Missy!

I love the pic of Tommy hanging out in the wheel chair. My boys are genius at claiming any and and all seats in the house as their own. Witness Max & Kiki

Glad you made it through yesterday, but I'm sorry to hear of your latest issue. Yikes! I am sure all these problems seem never ending at this point. As far as the romance killer business..yep..it was tough for my DH having me (warning..TMI ahead) wipe his, well you know..shower him , etc. but he got over it quick. I just said..hey..it's life and it's probably the cleanest you've been since your mom cleaned your blankity blank. We just laughed our way through it as much as possible and I honestly think it made our marriage even, oh I don't know, deeper if possible.

Oh, Max and Kiki are precious! :love: Thank you for brightening my day with their sweet pic.
I'm so glad you and your dh came through that rough time. I know it isn't any fun from experience.

And I know marriage is for better and for worse. Just having a lot of worse this year and I feel for my dh. Seriously poor man has been doing so much and there's just not a thing I can do to lighten his load besides not micromanage and let him do it his way. Just somewhat frustrating and this day was no exception. Laughing your way through is great advice and I agree. Once you make it through your bond is even stronger. I just don't want this nursemaid business to be his forever role for me. :blackeye:

Thank you siamese and kisses and hugs to Max and Kiki from their aunt Missy. :wavey:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
rosetta|1404305763|3705144 said:
Missy, that sounds like it COULD be a pressure sore. Please tell your doctor about it. They can become serious and so need to be monitored. Of course, if it's not then you will be reassured. Just don't hide it. You may need a special mattress that helps to prevent these kind of sores too. So please don't hide it. A small sore won't delay surgery but your medical team will want to know about any potential pressure points so you can get appropriate post-surgical care.

Hi Rosetta, thanks for weighing in. I did tell both doctors about it. The Medicalist first who is clearing me for surgery and he said it wasn't too bad of a pressure sore. B/w grade 1 and 2 but for 5 days it better not be much worse sigh. He said just shift every 15 min or so. Easier said than done. Seriously. Any movement of that leg is pure agony. The bones are broken and it is still very swollen.

Anyway, the orthopedic surgeon wanted to see me after the medicalist appt this morning though I had no appt with him because I had my dh call him before we went in this AM to tell him about what I thought I had. So we went across the street and waited in the ortho's office. He came in (lots of doctors looking at my butt today lol) and pronounced me too thin. Umm really? Big surprise. I mean I already explained about my esophagitis this winter and the pain I was (and am still occasionally dealing with) in and how eating became incredibly difficult and how I lost around 10 lbs and yada yada. All in my records and all explained 2 days ago.

But I know he has a lot of patients and I was thankful he saw me today but I felt in a way labeled and that upset me. Greg stood up for me telling the surgeon I do not have an eating disorder and this was the first time I ever lost weight like this and it was because I was so ill this winter. I mean, the surgeon is very nice and I like him very much and he said he is not accusing me of having an eating disorder but just wanted to know and well other details about the doctor's life that is no one's business so I won't share that here.

Suffice it to say I still feel labeled but I am not going to be defined by that and I am even more motivated now to gain weight. He is having a nutritionist meet with me in the hospital after surgery to help me come up with a healthy way to gain the weight. Of course I know how to eat because I have been healthy most of my life and always loved eating food. I love food! I feel so misunderstood lol but again I know he wants what is best for me and he needs me to be in tip top shape so his work counts and I heal. And I appreciate that I really do. Just not loving having to defend myself yanno? It feels a bit demoralizing and I just cannot explain the way it made me feel.

I guess being thin much of my life has also opened me up to some people's criticism and I am a little sensitive. And being sick this winter and losing 10 lbs (all my adult life I had been very stable weight wise albeit thin but healthy) caused me to be too thin but it was not by choice believe me. But I kept my cool and my calm and I listened to him and told him I am motivated to do what I need and I will follow his orders. Hopefully he believes me and will do his best by me and not feel it will be lost with (imagined on his part) self damaging behavior. And of course I went home and ate a lot and now I feel ill. Burning in my chest and like a lump is there. All part of what I had been dealing with all year pretty much. Sigh.

Sorry for the earful Rosetta... And thank you! I followed your (and others here, thank you everyone) advice and told all the doctors today. The surgeon couldn't really recommend anything besides keeping it covered and then we will work on me gaining some weight. Yeah, I hear hospital food is deelicious. :lickout: :cheeky:
(jk) I already told me dh days ago I hope he will bring me yummy homemade food to eat during my hospital stay. It's my only chance at survival lol.

Calliecake said:
Hi Missy, Please listen to Rosetta. It's always better to be honest with your doctor. The sore may be no big deal but if it is something he needs to look out for wouldn't you want to have it treated quickly?

Thanks Callie, I agree you are right. Followed that advice and shared it all with the doctors. Thank you for posting!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jimmianne|1404317770|3705267 said:
Dear Missy,

just catching up on the last million posts here - you are obviously well-loved and have quite a fan club!

You are in my thoughts - and not just because you've been making demands on me lately :lol:

There is a Netflix series that I loved so much I watched it twice - called LIFE. Have you seen it? Not only it is smart & funny, it's cathartic AND Damian Lewis is great eye candy!

Waiting for your next report!

LOL Jimmianne! You do know in all seriousness that I was just fooling around. Just having some fun. Though I am very serious about your new OEC beauty! :love:

Thank you for thinking of me and thank you for that recommendation. As soon as I finish my replies to all the dear PSers who took the time to help me I am going to check that series out. I need great series' to watch. Running out of all the good shows so appreciate the rec!

luv2sparkle said:
Missy, we have been gone for a few days so I am just now seeing this. I am so sorry for all you have been through. My DH is a cyclist too and I am going to tell him about what happened to you with the clips. My goodness, you have had a difficult year. I am quite sure you will be back to your active self once you have completed healing. It may take some work and it will not be easy but you have the spirit to make it happen! Many prayers for you. Hang in there!

Thank you luv2sparkle. Yes, please warn your dh. My dh's LOOK pedals don't have that same problem just so you know. It's a different system not subject to the same issues my pedals had. Please let your dh know and make sure he is using safe ones and can unclip his shoes from the pedals in case of an accident! Thank you for the prayers and encouragement. Much appreciated!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dancing Fire|1404320020|3705284 said:
missy|1404295469|3705073 said:
He put neosporin on it and a bandaid (it's about 4 mm in diameter according to my dh) and we went to bed. How's that for romance LOL. My dh band aiding my butt. OMG I thought helping me to the bathroom and helping me shower/bathe was already on the edge of being a romance killer well this just takes the cake... the fun just never ends. Haven't looked at it yet this AM but it's there. Feels like a big irritation/rubbing and well if it's a bedsore OMG only 4-5 days on rest orders and now what am I to do? Will this delay my surgery? I am worried if it becomes infected and yada yada. I am not sure if it happened because I am too skinny these days and have no cushioning on my butt anymore. I lost around 8 lbs this winter due to (a probable pill induced) esophagitis and never was able to get a grip on my health before I broke my leg this past Friday. I was just getting back to feeling better and then this happened unfortunately.

Missy, hope you feel better soon!..
457492dro0rb016c.gif

Thanks for your well wishes and Nice try DF. :cheeky: Not sure you want to see my bony butt anyway yanno? But give me 10 lbs or so. Maybe then... ;))

nowayeverbutnicetrylol.gif

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
azstonie|1404320366|3705286 said:
Hi Missy: you must inform your surgeon of this sore. He may still operate but can prescribe the special mattress, have the sore followed by a wound nurse, and it may slightly alter the antibiotics he covers you with after the surgery. This wound could disseminate some tough bacteria throughout your body postop and you don't want that.

Get a cellphone or tablet pic of the wound daily and measure each day. Rate any changes in redness swelling or drainage.

Decubitus ulcers have a grading system all their own and require expert treatment by a wound n u rose or infectious diseases physician. You will have plates/screws with your repair and an infection from the sore can go right for that and wreck them, requiring reoperation a n d debridement.

Using towels and foam pads, start getting the pressure of that spot.

Hang in there, it's going to be o k aye!!!!

Thank you aztonie! My dh just got me an inflatable donut type tube to sit on so hopefully that will make a difference. Neither doc had any recs but I thought of this and they said I could try it so I really hope it helps. And thanks for your towel and foam pad recommendation too! As for the blood banking the medicalist said I needed to do that months ago. Seems like sort of a long lead time but I guess no matter I cannot do it before Monday. I really liked your recommendation regarding that. Hopefully I won't need blood. Fingers crossed.

azstonie said:
're crutches---i found my Costco walker to be far superior to them and much safer too.

I googled these but not sure if I can use them with just one useable leg right now? Not sure how that works...Are any of these what you are talking about?
http://www.costco.com/walkers-wheelchairs.html?pageSize=96

Thanks again for all your advice and encouragement.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Missy, I would like to bring you this begonia of mine but I don't live close to you. ;)) I thought you might enjoy a picture of something bright and pretty today, though. :wavey:

begonia.jpg

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ETA: My dh is sitting next to me on the couch and overheard me talking to a friend who just called me and I was recounting my day and what the orthopedic surgeon asked me about having an eating disorder and my dh said I got it all wrong. That the surgeon didn't accuse me of having an eating disorder at all that he was just checking I didn't and that he believed me and my dh. Still my perception of what happened was a bit different but maybe I'm mistaken.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
monarch64|1404331982|3705439 said:
Missy, I would like to bring you this begonia of mine but I don't live close to you. ;)) I thought you might enjoy a picture of something bright and pretty today, though. :wavey:

Thank you sweet Monnie, I really appreciate that especially today. Brightens my mood...Thank you! :wavey:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
minidancer|1404333898|3705458 said:
Missy, so sorry to hear about your fall. :(

Wishing you a speedy recovery. In the meantime, here are some cute fuzzy creatures to cheer you up! :)) :))

http://www.buzzfeed.com/walgreens/animals-to-cheer-you-up-when-youre-sick

((((HUGS)))))

Awww thank you mini dancer and big (((hugs))) to you too.
And thank you for the picures- all so cute but my 2 faves are the brave pig pic and the snuggly hippo. Too cute! :love: And OMG for the last pic. Adorable!
:appl:

anigif_enhanced-buzz-16358-1386361385-7.gif

anigif_enhanced-buzz-19702-1386356342-0.gif

anigif_original-grid-image-19421-1386356366-9.gif

anigif_original-grid-image-9800-1386356450-6.gif

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Missy, these happy pictures are just right for you! They even cheer me up. I'll put up a photo of our fawn in the back yard as soon as I bring my camera upstairs. This is new -- one got out & I'm sure his mama found him (when my schizo neighbor cut the fencing) -- the other stayed put. About a week later -- 2 days ago -- we opened both gates so his mother could take him with her too. He's old enough to follow her & we thought he might need to be with other deer babies. We've done that in the past. First time ever -- he's STILL HERE. He doesn't want to leave, I guess. Or she doesn't want him to yet. Amazing!

Hope your kiester feels better with the donut. What a truly hard time you're having -- I wish I could fix it all up. Magic would help but I don't have the right spells.

I understand your feeling about the doctor -- it's easy to feel defensive when they ask questions in a way that sounds like accusation. They may not mean it that way -- perhaps just in a hurry & brusque, but that's how it comes across. Especially when we don't know the doc or he, us. Put it out of your mind because what he thinks doesn't matter -- you know the reality. You'll gain the weight back, no worry, and that part, at least, will be FUN.

More coming when I get pics downloaded. Hugs to you & your DH!!!

--- Laurie

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Missy, Don't worry too much about the doctors comments regarding your weight. I get the same questions any time I see one of my doctor's associates. I'm tiny and always have been and I would be willing to bet it's the same for you. I lost 5 lbs about 3 years ago and have been trying to put it back on with no luck. I went to the doctor because I start panicking that maybe something was really wrong. They did a lot of tests and every came back fine. It bothers me because I know I looked a lot better with the extra 5 lbs. Did they also want to check your thyroid?

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Missy, here are some cheer-up pics. Not quite adorable baby rhinos & piggies -- I'm in LOVE with them! A bit more usual, but still....

Our feral kitty who has adopted us & will be coming inside within a week.
Waiting for her walk with the dog on our front porch. Yes, she loves to take walks with us & Charlie, our dog. Toddles right along.

This is the fawn in our backyard this morning, exploring around. A month old.

Have a good sleep & hope you can dream of tiny piglets & fawns!

--- Laurie

_19749.jpg

fawn_7-14_22.jpg

fawn_7-14_12.jpg

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Two words: Roho cushion. (your bottom will thank you! OKOK that is 7 words!)

cheers--Sharon

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
JewelFreak|1404344975|3705574 said:
Missy, here are some cheer-up pics. Not quite adorable baby rhinos & piggies -- I'm in LOVE with them! A bit more usual, but still....

Waiting for her walk with the dog on our front porch. Yes, she loves to take walks with us & Charlie, our dog. Toddles right along.

--- Laurie

Oh Laurie, The pictures of the fawn are so precious! Thank you for posting them!

Missy, I owe you an apology regarding my last post. I don't know how but I must not have read all of your post about the doctor visit and comments about your weight. I am also sensitive about comments about my weight and know how hurtful they can be. My family (especially my mom) is the worst with telling me how awful I look being so thin. I have hung up the phone in tears many times over it. I finally asked her how she would feel if every time we spoke I told her how much better she would look if she lost 30 lbs. She then got angry. My response was it feels terrible and I would never say the hurtful things you feel you can say to me constantly. That was the only time I have ever mentioned her weight (and I felt so bad for saying it). I thought I'd finally gotten thru to her but right before we hung up she said to wear something to make me look heavier when we meet for lunch. I can't win. Sorry about the rant. I am so sorry you had to deal with defending your weight along with everything else you have had to deal with.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
JewelFreak, those photos are precious!

Missy, I have been on the actual ED side of the coin when comments have been warranted. I know that you are not intentionally "underweight" and I can imagine how hurtful that must have been to hear in the midst of all this craziness. I also imagine you are feeling like you've done everything you can to keep yourself healthy and here is a doctor saying "oh, you might have an ED" and that has got to be painful. A million gentle hugs to you. To me, you've always looked strong and healthy, and sounded (from your posts) the same. So let this roll off, hard as it may be. You've spent lots of time trying to figure out your health issues and I'm kind of devastated for you that that was even brought up. But I know they think they have to say something if there's even a question? I'm just following along here remembering my own troubles and wishing yours would be gone. Please know you've touched many hearts, including mine, on PS and that we are all rooting for you.

I probably haven't articulated my thoughts very well. I hope I haven't made anything worse but I wanted to share my thoughts with you and tell you that I believe in you and think that you will recover in much less time than the doctors say because you HAVE taken such good care of yourself. You believe that too, OK? Lots of hugs and positive vibes coming your way from the cornfields. ;)) :bigsmile: You can do this!

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Great shows:

Upstairs Downstairs
Frasier
Mad About You
Star Trek (especially Enterprise, Next Generation, and Deep Space Nine)
Miss Marple
Poirot
Cadfael

If you love cooking, try cutting veggies for meals on a cutting board at your most comfy couch or in your wheelchair at the table.
Layered casseroles you can prep the same way. Just don't try to put in the oven yourself.

Fold laundry but leave it for your DH to actually put away.

Glad you have your surgery scheduled!

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Missy, I am so sorry. I have not read all the posts. I just hope things are looking up. It must be very hard not to be able to exercise. I know I would not cope well. Big hug to you and I hope that you will make a full recovery in time.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
JewelFreak|1404344975|3705574 said:

--- Laurie

Aww Laurie, thank you for these sweet pictures! And so happy for you adopting that darling feral kitty. I cannot believe she loves walking with you and Charlie. None of my (non-feral) kitties would ever allow me to do that with any of the dogs I have walked lol. Have you chosen any names for her yet? She looks like such a sweet baby!

And OMG that baby fawn I just want to hug her (gently). She is beautiful. I have never seen a baby up close. How lucky you are! Do you think the fawn has adopted you guys? That would be one lucky fawn to be sure! Maybe time to start thinking of names for this baby too. :bigsmile:

And thank you so much for taking the time to download these pics and share them here to cheer me up Laurie. Mission accomplished! :appl:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Calliecake|1404346296|3705586 said:
Oh Laurie, The pictures of the fawn are so precious! Thank you for posting them!

Missy, I owe you an apology regarding my last post. I don't know how but I must not have read all of your post about the doctor visit and comments about your weight. I am also sensitive about comments about my weight and know how hurtful they can be. My family (especially my mom) is the worst with telling me how awful I look being so thin. I have hung up the phone in tears many times over it. I finally asked her how she would feel if every time we spoke I told her how much better she would look if she lost 30 lbs. She then got angry. My response was it feels terrible and I would never say the hurtful things you feel you can say to me constantly. That was the only time I have ever mentioned her weight (and I felt so bad for saying it). I thought I'd finally gotten thru to her but right before we hung up she said to wear something to make me look heavier when we meet for lunch. I can't win. Sorry about the rant. I am so sorry you had to deal with defending your weight along with everything else you have had to deal with.

Dear Callie, There is absolutely no need to apologize. I appreciate your heartfelt sentiments, thank you so much and I am so sorry you have to deal with a similar issue. I also get criticized by my mother and have been as long as I can remember but I know it's because she loves me and think she knows what is best. Of course it is much worse since I got sick this winter because while my mom thought I was too thin before this recent weight loss did put me over the edge. I agree. It just wasn't on purpose in any way.

She enjoyed that call I made to her yesterday after I got back from the HSS visit. She had said the pressure sore was from being too thin and well I am not one to not acknowledge when I am wrong (sorry for the double negative) so I told her she was right. And you know what that stopped her criticism in its tracks and she actually became supportive in a constructive way! Amazing how sometimes our parents/moms can rise to the occasion when you stop disagreeing with them. ;)) My problem is I am always truthful in how I am feeling and thinking when communicating with my mom so if I don't agree with her (which is often) I don't pretend otherwise. Maybe one day I will stop being so stubborn and just start yessing her all the time regardless of how I really feel just to take the fuel out of her fire.

I hate the way I look right now. I was in pain most of 2014 and we *think* but still don't know for sure that it is/was GI related and that was the only reason I lost so much weight. I had just started feeling better this past month and started working on slowly increasing my nutritional intake so I could get stronger and healthier when this happened.

Yeah, bad luck but I have to get over it and move forward and not focus on the lousy year I have been having but focus on getting better. But every time someone comments on how thin I got or how much weight I lost it frustrates me because I know what I went through and they just don't "get" that I didn't want to lose weight. I was very satisfied with my weight and health before 2014. The only thing I had real issues with was (and is lol) my hair! Especially now with the humidity here to stay. OMG looks like I stuck my finger in a light socket and my hair didn't win that fight haha. And oh I regret not having my hair cut since January. Sigh. A mess on many (all?) fronts right now but as my grandmother (g-d rest her soul) used to say- this too shall pass (I hope and pray grandma that you're right about this!).

Sorry again for the running of the mouth/keyboard. Once I get started the thoughts just keep coming coherent or not. Plus I got interrupted a few times while writing this so might have lost track about repeating myself. Francesca is very loving this morning and in fact was resting a bit on my bad leg when I woke up haha. Maybe she is healing me with her black cat magic! :appl:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
monarch64|1404354269|3705683 said:
JewelFreak, those photos are precious!

Missy, I have been on the actual ED side of the coin when comments have been warranted. I know that you are not intentionally "underweight" and I can imagine how hurtful that must have been to hear in the midst of all this craziness. I also imagine you are feeling like you've done everything you can to keep yourself healthy and here is a doctor saying "oh, you might have an ED" and that has got to be painful. A million gentle hugs to you. To me, you've always looked strong and healthy, and sounded (from your posts) the same. So let this roll off, hard as it may be. You've spent lots of time trying to figure out your health issues and I'm kind of devastated for you that that was even brought up. But I know they think they have to say something if there's even a question? I'm just following along here remembering my own troubles and wishing yours would be gone. Please know you've touched many hearts, including mine, on PS and that we are all rooting for you.

I probably haven't articulated my thoughts very well. I hope I haven't made anything worse but I wanted to share my thoughts with you and tell you that I believe in you and think that you will recover in much less time than the doctors say because you HAVE taken such good care of yourself. You believe that too, OK? Lots of hugs and positive vibes coming your way from the cornfields. ;)) :bigsmile: You can do this!

Monnie, you have articulated your thoughts perfectly (and always do) and thank you so much for your lovely lovely post.

I also need to elaborate because after I posted yesterday I immediately started feeling badly and wanted to come back to PS and clarify what I wrote but I was just too fatigued. It's amazing the kind of fatigue I feel these days. A sort of exhaustion that cycling 85 miles cannot even touch if that makes sense. That is, being tired after exercise feels great. Being tired this way just the opposite. But I digress. On to what I want to clarify.

Right after I wrote about the surgeon's comments I realized how insensitive my words might have come across like I was criticizing people who *do* suffer from an ED and I sincerely apologize if that is how my posts sounded. I know (secondhand experience but still I saw the struggles up close) that an ED can be and often is a lifelong struggle and my heart goes out to anyone dealing with this in any way shape or form. We are all imperfect human beings struggling with many life issues.

I often have trouble expressing clearly what I want to say (even more so these days) and I woke up tired (as I often do now) so I am having some difficulty in trying to say what I want to Monnie. In a nutshell I didn't mean to offend you or anyone with my long winded comments on what I felt yesterday when the doctor asked me if I had an ED. Just that life is not easy and we all have our battles and I have no judgments about those personal battles we all fight with internally/externally on a daily basis. We are all just doing the best we can and it is part of the human experience I guess.

Thank you so very much for all your hugs and encouragement. Biggest hugs to you as well. I so appreciate you taking the time to cheer me up and support and encourage me through probably what has to date been the most challenging time of my life.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TooPatient|1404355828|3705711 said:
Great shows:

Upstairs Downstairs
Frasier
Mad About You
Star Trek (especially Enterprise, Next Generation, and Deep Space Nine)
Miss Marple
Poirot
Cadfael

If you love cooking, try cutting veggies for meals on a cutting board at your most comfy couch or in your wheelchair at the table.
Layered casseroles you can prep the same way. Just don't try to put in the oven yourself.

Fold laundry but leave it for your DH to actually put away.

Glad you have your surgery scheduled!

Thank you TooPatient! Great suggestions. I have seen the first 3 suggestions (and loved them all!) but only the first Star Trek so I need to get cracking on that series and the last 3 I have not yet had the pleasure to view so thank you. More stuff to watch and I love getting these suggestions because I am having trouble concentrating on anything so perhaps one of these shows you or another PSer has recommend will start peaking my interest and get me out of my own head at least for a short while. That would be so lovely.

As to the folding laundry suggestion have you met my dh haha. He is uber picky. Before the accident he barely let me fold his laundry lol but good suggestion and I will attempt to have him let me do at least that now that every single chore is falling on his shoulders these days. In the past he would humor me and let me fold his laundry and then I would catch him refolding it. LOLOL.

As for cooking yesterday I actually made my own salad woohoo! I just needed my dh's help in heating up my grilled veggies that my mom dropped off for me. I was pleased I could do that and I was able to get from the kitchen to living room sitting in the wheelchair with the food on my lap and moving the wheelchair with my good leg. That's the only way to move that chair by myself as it's not a real wheelchair that you can move with your arms. It's one that's meant to be pushed by someone else.

Anyway I feel like I am getting a bit more self sufficient so that's happy news from me to you guys. I can get to the bathroom myself and off the bed and couch by myself. I know that after the surgery I am going to have to go through the time it takes to heal a bit to be able to do this all over again by myself but that's OK because at least by then the real healing will have started and I will be on the road to recovery I hope! :appl:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
canuk-gal|1404346157|3705585 said:
HI:

cheers--Sharon

Dear Sharon, thank you for that suggestion!!! I am googling it and checking it out right now. If it could help that would be so amazing. My pressure sore is killing me right now and I cannot get a look at it by myself so I am going to ask my dh when he can to take a look. The tube helped a bit I think but I couldn't sleep with it so I guess it was being rubbed all night. I truly hope this is not going to become a huge problem.

The Roho link has a lot of info. Have you ever had experience with these? It says I need to get a health care professional's help in fitting the right one and I guess setting it up as it looks a bit complicated. I am going to see who I can find to help me in my area with ordering and setting it up for me. If all else fails I will ask my doctor on Monday if he has heard of it and can help me with the set up. Thank you so much for this info Sharon!!! You are a life (and butt) saver! :appl: :wavy:

LLJsmom|1404362051|3705780 said:
Missy, I am so sorry. I have not read all the posts. I just hope things are looking up. It must be very hard not to be able to exercise. I know I would not cope well. Big hug to you and I hope that you will make a full recovery in time.

Thank you LLJsmom. Yes it is difficult not being able to workout as working out helps clear my mind from stress and worries and these days I need to clear my mind even more than before but just making the best of the situation. And hoping and praying for a complete recovery. Thank you for the hug and good wishes!

Calliecake|1404344460|3705565 said:
Missy, Don't worry too much about the doctors comments regarding your weight. I get the same questions any time I see one of my doctor's associates. I'm tiny and always have been and I would be willing to bet it's the same for you. I lost 5 lbs about 3 years ago and have been trying to put it back on with no luck. I went to the doctor because I start panicking that maybe something was really wrong. They did a lot of tests and every came back fine. It bothers me because I know I looked a lot better with the extra 5 lbs. Did they also want to check your thyroid?

Hi again Callie, almost forgot to address this. Right before my accident I got a Vitamix to start adding extra nutritional ingredients to my diet. You can make smoothies with fruits and veggies and add other ingredients for increased nutrition and calories. Flax seeds, chia seeds, protein powders, almonds, walnuts, peanuts and the list goes on and on. Endless really. Just make it according to your preferences. So delicious, nutritious and a great addition to your regular meals if you want to add to your diet. I was happily having one a day till the accident and then of course my appetite went downhill again. It's amazing how not feeling well can really take a bite (pun intended haha) out of your appetite. :((

Anyway I hope that is helpful to you. At the very least it makes delicious desserts and soups too!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
missy|1404385076|3705881 said:
canuk-gal|1404346157|3705585 said:
HI:

cheers--Sharon

Dear Sharon, thank you for that suggestion!!! I am googling it and checking it out right now. If it could help that would be so amazing. My pressure sore is killing me right now and I cannot get a look at it by myself so I am going to ask my dh when he can to take a look. The tube helped a bit I think but I couldn't sleep with it so I guess it was being rubbed all night. I truly hope this is not going to become a huge problem.

The Roho link has a lot of info. Have you ever had experience with these? It says I need to get a health care professional's help in fitting the right one and I guess setting it up as it looks a bit complicated. I am going to see who I can find to help me in my area with ordering and setting it up for me. If all else fails I will ask my doctor on Monday if he has heard of it and can help me with the set up. Thank you so much for this info Sharon!!! You are a life (and butt) saver! :appl: :wavy:

Yes, I know of them; when I worked at the bedside they were useful ADL (aids to daily living) for patients who sat in w/c' for long periods. You may need to get one "fitted" for your chair--based on a few variables, your needs and weight. A physiotherapist or OT could help there. Here we have stores that specialize these kinds of things--and are often attached to pharmacies. Incidentally, the donut style ring is designed for a "different purpose".

Good luck!

cheers--Sharon

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks bunches Sharon. I will ask at the hospital and see if I can get some help with fitting it there. Great option and it just might save my butt lol! :appl:

I know the donut is for a different issue but well the pressure sore is in an area I am hoping might get relief with the donut until I can get to your rec or another more suitable alternative. Thanks again! :wavey:

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My goodness Missy, the things you have gone through this year astound me. I wish I could do something for you. Big big hugs. You might want to have your DH bring you some protein bars while you are in the hospital. I really like Perfect Food bars. They are all natural. My 17 year old likes the Builder Bar Max (they have 30 grams of protein). My son is trying to put on some weight and he says these taste great. I haven't tried them because the last thing I need is extra pounds. Since you can't have your Vitamix with you, it might be an option.

I mentioned what happened to you to my DH and he says he has the Look clip ins. He is sending you his prayers as well.

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
hi Missy!!!

Checked the Costco link, those 4-wheeled walkers, they are exactly what I mean. They will keep you much steadier and balanced than crutches. LOL, the leopard skin one and the zebra skin one :bigsmile:

Regarding the inflatable plastic donut: Colorectal docs will tell you not to use that, they interfere with circulation to your nether region. Until you get a roho cushion, use towels and cut foam pads to your dimension and fit to relieve and redistribute pressure, move your body into as many different positions/weight focus as you can safely do.

Can you stand? Lean against a wall corner with the walker in front of you, do this several times an hour for a few minutes?

Can you lay on your tummie to watch TV or read?

That is the kind of thinking you'll do to come with some ways to not sit or lie on your back/rear end.

Regarding what the docs said, I almost always get upset when the doctor gives me a diagnosis (to my ears, this feels like an accusation or criticism and I work in healthcare, crazy but there you go). I feel like I "failed a test" or something :lol: If I have a nonsensitive doctor speaking to me, I can be pretty steamed up. Regarding your being thin, you should HEAR what they say to overweight or obese people. Just so you know, unless a person is a perfect physical specimen you hear things about yourself that can just take your breath away. I'm sorry you had to go through that on top of all of the rest of it. Try to forget that if you can.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Missy, I hope you are feeling better and today is a good day for you. Pricescope will certainly put a smile on your face this morning. I know you have also read some of the other topics on here today.

Thank you for your very kind comments. Are you sure we don't share the same mom? My mom is getting older And I realize I may not have a lot of years left with her. I need to ignore her comments and thank G-d she is still here with me.

I know it's hard for you right now but your sweet grandmother was so right. This too shall pass and you will back to feeling like yourself again soon. You are a very special person and so loved by all who know you!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results