shape
carat
color
clarity

Noob in buying an engagement ring, help needed

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here are some nice plain solitaires, at least in my opinion.

Nice look and has a reverse taper that can provide a visual illusion to make the center stone look bigger.

Similar to the first with a reverse taper, but slightly different.

I believe this one is available in a 6 prong. Notice how the head is formed as an "extension" to the body. FYI, while WF has many settings listed on their site, it is NOT a complete list of all available options. For instance, if you see a Vatche style you like then WF can access it also as they are a Vatche dealer.

This is a really nice solitaire that is also very budget friendly. Given you have so many unknowns I would personally lean this way. Worst case, she hates it and you buy her something she loves more without having much invested in it.

Obviously, this is a Tiffany setting. It's a brand, but also their classic setting style that many rave about. I wanted to show it as comparison against the others so you had an idea since you asked earlier in the thread.

kevindd992002

Rough_Rock
I finally bought the 0.903 BGD stone and I'm now on the journey to choose the right setting style. Thanks for the Solitaire suggestions. I do like the first option you gave but probably just in 14K gold. I'll ask BGD if they have something similar. However, like I mentioned earlier I tend to want the Pave style better. If I go with the Pave, which between 1/4, 1/2, and 3/4 is the most practical choice if I want to have enough wiggle room to move from 6.5 to 6 or 6.5 to 7?

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I finally bought the 0.903 BGD stone and I'm now on the journey to choose the right setting style. Thanks for the Solitaire suggestions. I do like the first option you gave but probably just in 14K gold. I'll ask BGD if they have something similar. However, like I mentioned earlier I tend to want the Pave style better. If I go with the Pave, which between 1/4, 1/2, and 3/4 is the most practical choice if I want to have enough wiggle room to move from 6.5 to 6 or 6.5 to 7?

Congrats on finally pulling the trigger! I think you made a great choice, and can't wait to see some pictures once you get the assembled ring.

BGD has their own line of in-house settings, as well as offering several designers, so I have no doubts you can find something. You should verify with BGD, but I think 1/2 or 1/4 pave should give you some ability to size up/down as needed.

When looking at their various options, pay attention to the metal types. Sometimes it will default you to platinum, which IMO is the superior white metal, but it's also the most costly. You will find either a 14k and/or 18k WG option on all them. Several of them are 18k only (which typically costs more $ than 14k) and still reasonable.

Some of the options I found show 4 prongs, but I am relatively certain they can convert to a 6 prong. For round I always recommend 6 prong. More security and the additional prongs keep the stone circular, whereas 4 prongs can make it sometimes look squarish.

Some potential plain solitaire options:

https://www.briangavindiamonds.com/Engagement-Rings/solitaires/classic-truth-solitaire-5369

https://www.briangavindiamonds.com/Engagement-Rings/solitaires/tapered-classic-style-half-round-5540

Some potential pave options:

https://www.briangavindiamonds.com/...n-signature/La-Fleur-Brillante-18K-White-Gold

https://www.briangavindiamonds.com/Engagement-Rings/pave-and-side-stones/sprinkling-novela-7128

kevindd992002

Rough_Rock
Thanks! I definitely will post pictures when I get it.

I just talked to BGD customer service and they told me that as long as the Pave setting is not full eternity (so 3/4 or less), it can be resized up to one full size up or down, so there's that.

I was reading up on Platinum and I like its benefits over 14K white gold. I'm kind of considering going Platinum. I also like the idea that a Platinum ring is more heavy so it can feel more substantial in the hand of the wearer but then I'm not sure if this is something my partner prefers. Since you prefer Paltinum, what are your experiences with this metal? I don't want to keep on having the white gold ring replated every few months or so.

My only concern about Platinum is the fact that my relative told me that platinum settings do not have much value in our country because there is no demand. I'm not sure if that's something that I need to consider in my decision. It's not like I'm going to sell the ring but I just want to know for myself that the ring is "valuable", if that makes sense.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My wife's ring is a special WG/palladium alloy mix. Honestly, it was a compromise because she wanted the shiny of WG but I didn't want to replate. I think it was $100 less than platinum so no real cost savings. It was about aesthetics.

Also, DK (who made the setting) said the materials were a little more favorable for the type of setting and stones that went in it.

So far it is holding up well. My wife hasn't exactly babied her ring. She never will, that's not her style, lol. She's bent the prong 3x now. We've sent back twice. It needs to go back now. I don't blame metal type or DK for this. Her diamond sticks up a little high so it gets snagged on things. We have talked about lowering it a little in an attempt to prevent future damage.

As a "general rule" many women prefer lighter rings instead of heavier ones.

As a guy, I really like platinum a lot. Primarily for the reason you said, I like the heft or weight of it. If my ring bogs me down I have bigger problems, lol. Plus I like the way it patinas when it gets some wear on it. However, big fingers and wide bands in platinum are very expensive.

I had a WG ring once before and my body chemicals eat through the plating or whatever and it turns yellow very fast. Ultimately I settled for a cobalt nickel and one of the reasons was because I wanted a Euro band (squarish shape instead of perfect round). My preferred metal was cheapo tungsten. However, not many people can work with that metal due to the hardness and many of them look cheap. But the weight is exactly what I like the best, aside from platinum.

Another positive is that platinum is nickel free. My wife's WG/palladium alloy is also nickel free. There is a big push for nickel free alloys (used to create the white in WG); however, not everyone uses nickel free alloys in their WG bands. I am not certain if BGD does or not, we never got that far in our conversations as I opted to use DK instead. To be safe, you need to check.

kevindd992002

Rough_Rock
I'm reading that the 4 prong allows more light to enter, thus the diamond stone performs better. Compared to a 6 prong, is that difference that significant? Some say that 6 prongs are generally recommended for stone sizes >= 1 carat

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium

kevindd992002

Rough_Rock
Myth. I’d get the 6 prongs and not think twice.

Yup, that's the exact article I linked above. I read about it after posting, lol.

So far, I've narrowed my choices down to a 6-prong Platinum. I'm still on the Solitaire vs. Pave dilemma but moving towards the Solitaire because of all the points you've guys made earlier and considering that there will be a possible resizing.

What are your thoughts on Channel settings? Lesley told me they're even harder to resize.

kevindd992002

Rough_Rock
Do you happen to have any other setting choices from BGD?

How about this one?

What is your take on a Cathedral Solitaire vs. just a Prong Solitaire?

Last edited:

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you happen to have any other setting choices from BGD?

How about this one?

What is your take on a Cathedral Solitaire vs. just a Prong Solitaire?

Settings are so personal to the person. The link to the BGD cathedral setting you linked isn't working, but I looked one up & assuming it's the same as this one I really like it. It has the reverse taper and I think the tulip head looks really eloquent & sophisticated, yet simple and powerful.

https://www.briangavindiamonds.com/...n-gavin-signature/Tapered-Cathedral-Solitaire

1620118107660.png

1620118131180.png

1620118158246.png

kevindd992002

Rough_Rock
Not sure why the link is not working for you but it's working for me. But yeah, that's the one you linked. I've narrowed my choices down to these (listed from least to most expensive):

$1250
- very plain and simple, my least favorite
- top width is 1.85mm

$1400
- nice design
- top width is only 0.90mm, not sure if that's too slim or OK?
- Lesley tells me that I shouldn't worry about the height of the stone because they set it to mid-height. Hopefully, no problems with the stone snagging clothes easily

$1450
- I like the knife edge design but I'm reading that it could be uncomfortable for some especially those that are not used to wearing rings?
- top width is 2.60mm, not sure if that's too thick already or still OK for a girl?

$1700
- I like the 2 triangular gaps on this cathedral but not too much to justify the price difference
- top width is 2.50mm, so same concern if too thick or OK?

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not sure why the link is not working for you but it's working for me. But yeah, that's the one you linked. I've narrowed my choices down to these (listed from least to most expensive):

I need to do some further testing. I use a variety of devices and operating systems. Last night when I noted them not working I was on my Macbook. This morning on my Win10 laptop they are working again. Oddly enough, it's just BGD weblinks and no other vendor. After I further research I will take my findings to the PS mod.

$1250
- very plain and simple, my least favorite
- top width is 1.85mm

Seems logical to eliminate if you don't like. My only caution here is making sure that SHE shares your opinion! The ring my wife picked was not my first choice, but I grew to love it and can't imagine it any other way now. For me, getting a setting that made her heart sing was more important than my own opinion.

FYI, 18k WG option is $400 cheaper @ $850.

$1400
- nice design
- top width is only 0.90mm, not sure if that's too slim or OK?
- Lesley tells me that I shouldn't worry about the height of the stone because they set it to mid-height. Hopefully, no problems with the stone snagging clothes easily

This is my favorite of the group listed here. I like the reverse taper. It will keep the show focused on the diamond and enhance the size because of the taper. Setting mid-height will alleviate snag issues commonly associated with cathedral styles.

Verify with Lesley, but I believe the 0.90mm is the very tip when it tapers back to the diamond. It appears to me, the majority of the ring is 2.40 wide. And then there is a small section where it varies from 2.40 down to 0.90. I've tried to illustrate below.

Because of the design, I don't anticipate any structural issues.

FYI, only a $50 discount for 18k WG on this one, so I would personally stay with platinum.

Inkedtapered-cathedral-wg6_3_LI.jpg

tapered-cathedral-wg4_3.png

$1450
- I like the knife edge design but I'm reading that it could be uncomfortable for some especially those that are not used to wearing rings?
- top width is 2.60mm, not sure if that's too thick already or still OK for a girl?

I'm not a girl but when trying on men's wedding bands I slipped on some that were "comfort fit" and others that had the insides kind of hollowed out and consequently some sharp edges. I find that very annoying and something that made me instantly reject a ring style. That said, I am weird my my tools & silverware also. I will pay extra money for something that has higher quality and is rounded & smooth.

Having not worn a knife edge, I can't say for sure if this is the same feeling but I envision it COULD be similar. I do know that many of the ladies here like a knife edge look but will get what is called a "soft knife edge" meaning it's smoothed out for comfort. The one in the pictures looks very harsh to me.

FYI, this one carries about a $350 discount for 18k WG.

$1700
- I like the 2 triangular gaps on this cathedral but not too much to justify the price difference
- top width is 2.50mm, so same concern if too thick or OK?

I'm not really a fan of this design myself. FYI, there is a $350 discount for the 18k WG option.

In regards to width, I would really encourage you to drop by a local jewelry store and look at some rings. Not so much for buying, but rather to gauge different widths with your own eyes.

I did this myself and glad I did. And I was very specific and would ask them for exact MM widths. What I discovered is that sometimes what seemed great on the computer looked better/worse in-person.

The widest part on my wife's band is 2.30 and it's at the bottom when things merge together. It's been a bit, but I believe that is one area I made more skinny as the original inspiration looked too fat there IMO,

But you can see with her e-ring + wedding band the total width is actually 4.20mm, and the pieces are soldered together.

44836-QUADmod.jpg

Last edited:

musicloveranthony

Brilliant_Rock
2.5mm is pretty narrow. I can't see any world in which that would be too thick - but I guess that's subjective.

Knife edges are surprisingly comfortable. Because of the way our fingers rest there isn't any pressure that would be applied to the adjacent fingers (especially when so narrow). Don't worry about that :)

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
In regards to the tapered cathedral I forgot to mention the inside of the ring. It looks like BGD has a comfort fit on band, but I would just double check. It will make the ring more comfortable and smooth.

Below is a highlight showing where I am talking about.

Inkedtapered-cathedral-wg4_3_LI.jpg

kevindd992002

Rough_Rock
I need to do some further testing. I use a variety of devices and operating systems. Last night when I noted them not working I was on my Macbook. This morning on my Win10 laptop they are working again. Oddly enough, it's just BGD weblinks and no other vendor. After I further research I will take my findings to the PS mod.

Seems logical to eliminate if you don't like. My only caution here is making sure that SHE shares your opinion! The ring my wife picked was not my first choice, but I grew to love it and can't imagine it any other way now. For me, getting a setting that made her heart sing was more important than my own opinion.

FYI, 18k WG option is $400 cheaper @ $850.

This is my favorite of the group listed here. I like the reverse taper. It will keep the show focused on the diamond and enhance the size because of the taper. Setting mid-height will alleviate snag issues commonly associated with cathedral styles.

Verify with Lesley, but I believe the 0.90mm is the very tip when it tapers back to the diamond. It appears to me, the majority of the ring is 2.40 wide. And then there is a small section where it varies from 2.40 down to 0.90. I've tried to illustrate below.

Because of the design, I don't anticipate any structural issues.

FYI, only a $50 discount for 18k WG on this one, so I would personally stay with platinum.

Inkedtapered-cathedral-wg6_3_LI.jpg

tapered-cathedral-wg4_3.png

I'm not a girl but when trying on men's wedding bands I slipped on some that were "comfort fit" and others that had the insides kind of hollowed out and consequently some sharp edges. I find that very annoying and something that made me instantly reject a ring style. That said, I am weird my my tools & silverware also. I will pay extra money for something that has higher quality and is rounded & smooth.

Having not worn a knife edge, I can't say for sure if this is the same feeling but I envision it COULD be similar. I do know that many of the ladies here like a knife edge look but will get what is called a "soft knife edge" meaning it's smoothed out for comfort. The one in the pictures looks very harsh to me.

FYI, this one carries about a $350 discount for 18k WG.

I'm not really a fan of this design myself. FYI, there is a $350 discount for the 18k WG option.

In regards to width, I would really encourage you to drop by a local jewelry store and look at some rings. Not so much for buying, but rather to gauge different widths with your own eyes.

I did this myself and glad I did. And I was very specific and would ask them for exact MM widths. What I discovered is that sometimes what seemed great on the computer looked better/worse in-person.

The widest part on my wife's band is 2.30 and it's at the bottom when things merge together. It's been a bit, but I believe that is one area I made more skinny as the original inspiration looked too fat there IMO,

But you can see with her e-ring + wedding band the total width is actually 4.20mm, and the pieces are soldered together.

44836-QUADmod.jpg
I'm sure she'll love whatever Solitaire setting I pick but I don't want her feeling uncomfortable when she's wearing it, of course. Good point on the knife edge choice, I'd have to do more research on that.

With the lockdown and all in our country, it's just too risky to go malls but they are open. I'll see what I can do just to get an idea how they look like in real life.

2.5mm is pretty narrow. I can't see any world in which that would be too thick - but I guess that's subjective.

Knife edges are surprisingly comfortable. Because of the way our fingers rest there isn't any pressure that would be applied to the adjacent fingers (especially when so narrow). Don't worry about that :)
I don't have an idea of what's thick and thin, so forgive me :)

Are there any disadvantages with knife edge bands though? Are most of them comfortable as you say?

In regards to the tapered cathedral I forgot to mention the inside of the ring. It looks like BGD has a comfort fit on band, but I would just double check. It will make the ring more comfortable and smooth.

Below is a highlight showing where I am talking about.

Inkedtapered-cathedral-wg4_3_LI.jpg
I'm asking them now. Are comfort fit bands preferable by women too? I read that they're especially more preferred by men.

kevindd992002

Rough_Rock
BDG just confirmed that most of their signature settings are made with a comfort fit style and that Tapered Cathedral setting is one of them. So I guess that's a plus.

kevindd992002

Rough_Rock
I know I said 6 prongs but what do you think about the NESW 4-prong settings like this one?

kevindd992002

Rough_Rock
I decided to go with the Tapered Cathedral Solitaire since two weeks ago when we were discussing this. I know have the CAD drawings from BGD and I'm not sure if it matters but I'll still show them to you in case you have comments before I approve the design and proceed with the casting process:

Screenshot 2021-05-19 224828.png

Screenshot 2021-05-19 224847.png

Screenshot 2021-05-19 224902.png

Screenshot 2021-05-19 224917.png

Note from BGD: The CAD appears heavier than the finished setting as we allow for a 15% overage of material for the casting process. This excess is shaved down after the setting has been cast.

It looks great to me but as you know I have an untrained eye, so to speak :)

Also, is text engraving on the ring recommended? What are its pro and cons? I'm thinking the the first letter of the my name and my partner's is as simple as it gets. Any suggested fonts if I go through with it?

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Love the simple setting... :love:

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Classic, sleek and beautiful. Love it!

rainbowstarry

Rough_Rock
It’s beautiful and very classy. It’s so sweet how much thought and effort you put into this special gift

kevindd992002

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the kind words. I know she'll like it when she sees it during the proposal :)

As for the engraving, can it be easily erased in a Platinum ring if we passed it down to the next generation or if we sell it? BGD told me that the laser engraving is not deep and can be easily erased but I'm not sure if they use a special tool or what.

I'm thinking of going without the engraving and if she really wants to engrave it that'll probably come after I propose to her and after we make sure that the size is correct. Would that make more sense?

Last edited:

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the kind words. I know she'll like it when she sees it during the proposal :)

As for the engraving, can it be easily erased in a Platinum ring if we passed it down to the next generation or if we sell it? BGD told me that the laser engraving is not deep and can be easily erased but I'm not sure if they use a special tool or what.

I'm thinking of going without the engraving and if she really wants to engrave it that'll probably come after I propose to her and after we make sure that the size is correct. Would that make more sense?

That's what my hubby did. If the engraving is to one side it's out of the way of resizing, but in our case, I wanted something engraved that was quite different to what he'd planned! I wouldn't have minded, but it was fun to come up with something to engrave on my engagement ring together.

The amount of love and thought you're putting into this ring is really lovely, your lady is very lucky.

kevindd992002

Rough_Rock
That's what my hubby did. If the engraving is to one side it's out of the way of resizing, but in our case, I wanted something engraved that was quite different to what he'd planned! I wouldn't have minded, but it was fun to come up with something to engrave on my engagement ring together.

The amount of love and thought you're putting into this ring is really lovely, your lady is very lucky.

Interesting, thanks for giving me some ideas! It would definitely be fun to come up with something together. BGD said they engrave on the sides I'm concerned that if I go through with it I'm just adding to the list of unknowns I have with the ring.

Yeah, I really want the ring to be as perfect as possible for her. After all, it's a one in a lifetime thing :)

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Excellent choices @kevindd992002. The ring looks absolutely amazing.

When doing my wife's custom setting, they sent me a plastic cast version. I was very worried because it looked clunky and not streamlined. Also, we made a few tweaks after that plastic casting. I had voiced those concerns and was told similar things to you that polishing provides that streamlined and delicate feel that was missing. When I got the final ring, they nailed it. So I expect the final product to look similar but be more refined when you receive it.

I had my wife's ring engraved after I proposed & designed a matching wedding band. We had to send back for them to do all that and solder them together. So at that point, we had used a saying we ended up using as our wedding hashtag and is a play on my last name (or I would share).

Short version -- we engraved, didn't ask if it could be easily removed as that didn't matter to us, and definitely did't do traditional initials. FYI, fonts and sizing was limited to a few select choices and not "open range".

kevindd992002

Rough_Rock
Excellent choices @kevindd992002. The ring looks absolutely amazing.

When doing my wife's custom setting, they sent me a plastic cast version. I was very worried because it looked clunky and not streamlined. Also, we made a few tweaks after that plastic casting. I had voiced those concerns and was told similar things to you that polishing provides that streamlined and delicate feel that was missing. When I got the final ring, they nailed it. So I expect the final product to look similar but be more refined when you receive it.

I had my wife's ring engraved after I proposed & designed a matching wedding band. We had to send back for them to do all that and solder them together. So at that point, we had used a saying we ended up using as our wedding hashtag and is a play on my last name (or I would share).

Short version -- we engraved, didn't ask if it could be easily removed as that didn't matter to us, and definitely did't do traditional initials. FYI, fonts and sizing was limited to a few select choices and not "open range".

I asked Lesley to send me pictures of the final ring after casting and before shipping out just to make sure everything is up to expectations. But given their reputations, I'm sure they'll nail it too. It's a simple setting anyway.

Ok. I'll worry about the engraving after the proposal to see what her inputs are. I'm sure she'll have a better idea/decision that I have as I'm no artsy in any way.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok. I'll worry about the engraving after the proposal to see what her inputs are. I'm sure she'll have a better idea/decision that I have as I'm no artsy in any way.
Yup, And if she needed to resize her ring that would be the time to do the engraving.

kevindd992002

Rough_Rock
I already have the ring! Shipping went smooth through the freight forwarder. The ring looks gorgeous. I will post pics soon.

For the meantime, can you guys help me out with any proposal ideas here?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results