shape
carat
color
clarity

No she did NOT use that on her ring!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Fran Fine

Rough_Rock
Yes -I did. Hi! I''m pretty new to posting around here although I''ve lurked for about 400 years. This site is awesome. I am one of the most laid back people on earth, but I absolutely LOOOOOVE diamonds! OMG, sometimes I take what I call an afternoon bling tour and just hit the streets of mid-town Manhattan, armed with a chai latte, and work my way uptown. I start in the diamond district, walking up one side of the street, then back down the other (my favorite window is owned by Diva Diamonds - whoa, those stones are stunning!). I then walk right past H Stern and Fortunoffs, and head into the Graff store at Saks, DeBeers, Cartier, Tiffany''s, Harry Winston, Bulgari, Van Cleef and Arpels. That? Is an awesome afternoon for me.

My fiance presented me with the most beautiful (to me) engagement ring, an emerald cut diamond set classic Harry Winston style with a small baguette on either side of the center stone, all set in a 3-sided pave platinum band. It''s stunning, and I love it. I''m pretty simple style wise - I work in television, so I''m constantly in jeans and shirts and boots, either writing at home or stuck in an editing suite. But when I put on this ring? Wow, it just makes me feel like a freakin'' princess. I love it.
30.gif

Problem? I never realized that emerald cuts were so hard to keep clean. Yowza! They attract oil and dirt like no one''s business. The stone can go from sparkling to flat in no time - I cringe when people want to see my ring and then take their fat, oily fleshy thumbpads and smear the top of the stone.
29.gif
I''ve taken to holding my hand just out of reach as they reach for a look - hey, I have to protect my baby
17.gif

Sooo, I use all the tricks of the trade. Jewel Jet steamer, liquid dawn, rubbing alcohol and they all do what they''re supposed to do. But I met this woman on the subway, and she had the most sparkling diamonds I had ever seen. They were like, flashing light everywhere. We ended up sitting next to each other, and I got up the courage to say that I loved her stones, and asked her how she made them sparkle like the way they did and she said....Greased Lightening. She swore by it and said it didn''t damage her stones. Yes, I got off of the subway and took myself over to Home Depot. Bought a bottle of the stuff, took it home, poured a little into a bowl like she told me, swished my ring in the liquid for a minute of so, then steamed it off with the Jewel Jet - ok, WHOA! It looked like - oh, what''s the appropriate cliche - like lightening in a box!
18.gif
Yum - mee!!! It was so beautiful, and my fiance was like, "Niiiiiice, went to get it professionally cleaned today?" I''m telling you, the stone sparkled like the dickens. Then I decided to read the bottle...
34.gif
. Oh yeah, I do things backwards like that all the time. So, the bottle says it cleans "tubs, showers, sinks, fiberglass, tiles, stoves, ovens, hoods, grills, refrigerators, floors (concrete, tile, vinyl, carpet, no wax, mats), aluminum and vinyl siding, fiberglass, RV''s, boats -BOATS
39.gif
-, pools (!!), stainless steel, non painted metal, mowers, lawn equipment -ok, you get the idea. I was kind of
32.gif
as I grabbed my boy by the collar and was all, "What have I done???!! NOooo!"
39.gif
...but it looks so darned good...
16.gif

Ok, so I''m wearing my super-sparkley bauble as I''m typing this, wondering if you think I was crazy to try it, or if you''re going to say, "Well, Miss Fine, regular old water and vinegar can clean the things you mentioned so I''m sure it will be fine." What do you guys think...did I have a "MISS FINE!!!!" moment when I soaked my ring in this miracle but possibly horrifyingly dangerous mixture, or do you think it''s totally, um...fine?

Smooches to all...
35.gif

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I loved the Nanny!

I am not sure about the ingredients of the cleaner, I am sure someone will chime in.

I am also a blingaholics and I have an emerald cut with tapered baguettes. I LOVE emerald cuts.

Any pix or details on your stunner?

Fran Fine

Rough_Rock
Hi, Diamondfan!

I have pics somewhere, but I take reaaaaaaally bad pics. I definitely have the jewelers shot, and then I have a few that I took myself. I will find them and post them tomorrow.

I absolutely ADORE The Nanny!! I never watched it while it was on the air, only in syndication - I discovered it one afternoon when I was home sick from work. I seriously got a belly-ache from laughing so hard. I had NO idea that the show had such smart writing! I seriously loved every character on it, even Maggie, who seems to be most fans of the show''s least favorite character. The other day I cracked up when I saw Brighton (Benjamin Salisbury) in a Dominos pizza commercial with a gigantic, chocolate brownie thing named...Fudgeums. And then the little girl and her mom hug Fudgeums and they laugh sitcom style and Brighton is all
6.gif
. Love it...

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I loved the show, and really liked Charles Shaunessy. She has not had a big hit since then. I know all the words to the opening song and loved the animation...I watch it late at night. She got a gorgeous ring on the show when they got engaged, I think an oval, I was always looking to see it once they got engaged...

justjulia

Ideal_Rock
Cute title of your thread! I''ll have to look for that stuff! You''re a hoot. Thanks--and welcome to ps!

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have no idea about the greased lightening but I just wanted to say welcome to PS.

lumpkin

Ideal_Rock
Oh, now I want to try it! I don''t know whether it will hurt them or not, but it doesn''t sound like it would. I hope someone else can shed light on that!

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Welcome to Pricescope! I love to go on bling tours of 5th Ave, too. Do you like A La Vielle Russie?

PaulaW

Brilliant_Rock
I have no idea whether you should use it or not, but it sounds good in theory to me! I wanted to chime in and say that I LOVE the Nanny too - even though the show gives my hubby the shakes and sends him running out of the room! Torturing him is an added bonus if you ask me!

sumbride

Ideal_Rock
I hope somebody can give us a definitive "It''s ok" because I''m halfway out the door to buy some after reading your post!!! I guess we better not put it in the SI US though... it might melt the plastic!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have no clue whether it''s safe to use or not, but wanted to say welcome to PS.
35.gif
I loved the Nanny too!!!

robbie3982

Ideal_Rock

Julian

Brilliant_Rock
Awww, now I have the Greased Lightning song in my head!!!!

That''s the bad news. The good news is, I looked up Greased Lighting online.

The company FAQ site says:

Can I use Greased Lightning Multipurpose on metals?
Greased Lightning products are recommended for use on most metals except aluminum or an aluminum alloy. Greased Lightning will leave a cloudy appearance on aluminum. However, this does not apply to aluminum siding with a factory baked-on finish.

This part was odd, though. What residue? If it leaves residue on glass, surely it would do the same on diamonds...

Can I use Greased Lightning Multipurpose on glass?
Greased Lightning products are not recommended for use on glass because they will leave a cloudy residue. Greased Lightning products will not damage glass.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/2/2006 8:26:35 AM
Author: lumpkin
Oh, now I want to try it! I don''t know whether it will hurt them or not, but it doesn''t sound like it would. I hope someone else can shed light on that!
I bet it doesn''t hurt the diamonds - but what about the metal? How corrosive is this stuff?

I want to know if it just cleans them like a one time thing or if it *repels* grease hahahaha ;-)

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/2/2006 10:33:30 AM
Author: Julian

Awww, now I have the Greased Lightning song in my head!!!!

That''s the bad news. The good news is, I looked up Greased Lighting online.

The company FAQ site says:

Can I use Greased Lightning Multipurpose on metals?
Greased Lightning products are recommended for use on most metals except aluminum or an aluminum alloy. Greased Lightning will leave a cloudy appearance on aluminum. However, this does not apply to aluminum siding with a factory baked-on finish.

This part was odd, though. What residue? If it leaves residue on glass, surely it would do the same on diamonds...

Can I use Greased Lightning Multipurpose on glass?
Greased Lightning products are not recommended for use on glass because they will leave a cloudy residue. Greased Lightning products will not damage glass.
oh good, safe for metal.... and maybe the film it leaves protects it LOL!!!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Interesting. Robbie, thanks for contacting them, can''t wait to hear. LadyK might know too...

Giada

Shiny_Rock
It''s pH is about the same as that of ammonia, so I don''t think it''s too corrosive on metals. Sometimes chemicals with higher pH''s can have a slimy or slippery feel to them...probably the film you''re referring to it leaving on glass.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/2/2006 11:18:50 AM
Author: Giada
It''s pH is about the same as that of ammonia, so I don''t think it''s too corrosive on metals. Sometimes chemicals with higher pH''s can have a slimy or slippery feel to them...probably the film you''re referring to it leaving on glass.
I was just thinking something similar. If we can use things like straight sudsy ammonia and Mr Clean on our diamonds and platinum, then this doesn''t sound any worse or better. I also know people who use Simple Green on their diamonds and we use that to clean out our hard water buildup in our showers and sinks...so definitely harsh.

Diamonds and platinum can take it. But I wouldn''t use it on white gold long term, no way. And again, if you can put ammonia in your US then you can probably put this stuff in it too, but don''t blame me if the US basket melts away, lol!

I''ll stick with my ammonia, super hot water and windex cuz it works so darn well!
5.gif
But it''s good to know if I ever get desperate that there''s other options, hahah.

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
i would use it, but it is LYE so don''t SOAK for any extended amount of time and rinse rinse rinse.

i live in hard water area so i use sulfamic acid based bathroom cleaner about once a month on my stones. when they won''t get clean in the normal way.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Fran Fine, welcome to PS! Your post was hysterical!
9.gif

I''ve been using Simple Green in my US for a few months now--it''s either that or Windex usually. I just grab whatever''s in reach from the linen closet for the most part...my rings are plat. and I haven''t had any issues using either of these cleaners.

I will totally try the Greased Lightening. Sounds like fun to me!
36.gif

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/2/2006 11:51:32 AM
Author: monarch64
Fran Fine, welcome to PS! Your post was hysterical!
9.gif

I''ve been using Simple Green in my US for a few months now--it''s either that or Windex usually. I just grab whatever''s in reach from the linen closet for the most part...my rings are plat. and I haven''t had any issues using either of these cleaners.

I will totally try the Greased Lightening. Sounds like fun to me!
36.gif
this is an elipses, but "greased lightning" always reminds me of this guy a few years back bragging about his 233 meg processor back when that was top of the line... and of course now it''d be considered a slug! lmao!!

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Welcome Franfine!

I hope Robbie gets word back from the Co. asap ''cause I wanna try it too! My Asscher has the same "needs cleaning" problemo.

And I totally relate to the tres casual edit room attire + Princess ring! But a gal needs SOMETHING to focus on while the editor does his/her thing!
1.gif
Sparkle, sparkle "What''s that? Oh yeah ... that looks fine."
11.gif

roppongi

Shiny_Rock
Fran Fine:

Welcome to PriceScope, please stick around, we definitely could use your humor. I have been crying non-stop for the past two days (I had to put my cat down) and your post made me laugh so hard, I read it twice. It felt wonderful and I just wanted to say thank you.

Roppongi

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/2/2006 1:12:11 AM
Author:Fran Fine
Yes -I did. Hi! I''m pretty new to posting around here although I''ve lurked for about 400 years. This site is awesome. I am one of the most laid back people on earth, but I absolutely LOOOOOVE diamonds! OMG, sometimes I take what I call an afternoon bling tour and just hit the streets of mid-town Manhattan, armed with a chai latte, and work my way uptown. I start in the diamond district, walking up one side of the street, then back down the other (my favorite window is owned by Diva Diamonds - whoa, those stones are stunning!). I then walk right past H Stern and Fortunoffs, and head into the Graff store at Saks, DeBeers, Cartier, Tiffany''s, Harry Winston, Bulgari, Van Cleef and Arpels. That? Is an awesome afternoon for me.

Problem? I never realized that emerald cuts were so hard to keep clean. Yowza! They attract oil and dirt like no one''s business. The stone can go from sparkling to flat in no time - I cringe when people want to see my ring and then take their fat, oily fleshy thumbpads and smear the top of the stone.
29.gif
I''ve taken to holding my hand just out of reach as they reach for a look - hey, I have to protect my baby
17.gif
. ,
HI:

You are going to get along just fine here....no pun intended.

And I could never understand the thumb on the center stone thing (this happened to me the other day while trying on bra''s, as the bra gal grabbed my hand and instantly there was a big ole thumbprint on my stone), I mean how is a stone best viewed with a thumb in the way????

cheers--Sharon

robbie3982

Ideal_Rock
No word back yet. I hope they get back to me before the weekend.

Shay37

Ideal_Rock
Welcome, Fran. I can''t wait to hear if it''s safe or not. Of course, you did see the gal''s rings that used it all the time. Were they damaged by it?

shay

Fran Fine

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone! Thank you so much for your kind welcome! I''ve always enjoyed reading your posts because not only was everyone really knowledgeable about their stones, but they''re cool peeps as well.

Diamondfan - Okay, I have the biiiiiggest crush on Charles Shaunessy. His voice, his smile, that grey streak - I mean, I hate quoting J-Tim, but Charles brings the sexy back for me. I always suspected that something was going on behind the scenes between him and Fran D because their attraction for each other always seemed so REAL. I didn''t like her new show - I kept missing Niles, CC, etc.

justjulia - thanks for the welcome!
35.gif

mrssalvo - thanks for the welcome, I look forward to actually participating instead of just stalking the site

lumpkin - please be careful - I''m a fool, so it was easy for me to endanger my ring, but I don''t want others to risk their preciouses

Madam Bijoux - A La Vielle Russie?? I''ve never been, but why do I think it was mentioned in one of those Plum Sykes novels - the one about the happy divorcees - I don''t know if that ''s true, but the name is ringing a very big bell. What kind of baubles do they display?

Paula W - yup, my boy used to hate the Nanny too, but one day, I hid the remote while we were both in bed watching it, and he was forced to watch an entire episode and he laughed his little booty off - it was the episode where Gracie and her Girl Scout troop were babysitting the elderly and Gracie''s old people kept dying, and Yetta was trying to sneak away at .00003 miles an hour...
9.gif

sumbride - like I said to lumpkin, be careful...I don''t want your ring to turn into a gelatinous glop around your finger

kaleigh - thanks for the welcome! Go Yetta!

robbie3982 - please! Let us know what you find out!

julian
7.gif
- now, it makes me wonder if over time, it will leave a residue?? It sparkles like mad when I use it - the boy even asked me to use it on the band of his Breitling - I diluted it and rubbed the band and he was like
31.gif
- well, not quite
31.gif
cuz that would have been weird, but he was very pleased.
33.gif
, I will stop if this proves to be damaging...

Cehrabehra - what you want to know is what I want to know! ok, and no need to make me burst out laughing about the film protecting the metal
9.gif

Giada - YES! I would say sometimes that the liquid feels slimy, and I just rinse it well with hot water and it''s fine.

Mara - you made very good points!

ladykemma - you made very good points, too!

monarch64 - thanks for the welcome...please be careful is all I have to say...I''m imagining waking up to a bunch of villagers bearing torches and their liquefied rings in paper cups

decodelighted - you know what I mean? Editing can take so looooooooooooooooooooooong, and it''s nice to stare at your precious in the meantime. Dare I ask...is that a papillon in your avatar?? We''re thinking about getting one!

roppongi - I am so sorry about the loss of your cat! I can''t even bear to think about having to do that to a loved one. My sincere condolences.

Canuk-gal - you made me burst out laughing..."the bra girl"
9.gif
- thanks for the welcome

Shay37 - thanks for the welcome! Subway lady said that she''d been using it for a few months, and she''d had no problems. That''s no controlled test room, but you have to imagine that that didn''t matter to me...I just had to have that sparkle. I understand the term "sparkle addict" - I am she...

Now? I''ve just finished watching Ugly Betty, and Grey''s Anatomy is starting. I''m going to try and post the jeweler''s photo of my ring. And the best of the ugly photos I took.

lizz

Brilliant_Rock
I agree that Greased Lightning seems like it would be fine. I mean, diamonds are non-porous, right? I agree about not putting white gold in there, that seems sketchy to me. But platinum should be O.K. I agree, this sounds fun, I''m going to go get some this weekend! Thanks, Fran, for turning us on to a new diamond cleanser!!!!! We can always use more suggestions for that around here.

CrownJewel

Brilliant_Rock
MISS FINE! Yay! I loved your post. I''ve thought many times about going for an afternoon walk in the diamond district. My fiance works across the street from MoMA, which is a few blocks from the diamond district, and SERIOUSLY, if I were him, forget lunch with the work buddies! I''d be lunching everyday with the bling buddies!

I really love the fact that you take "afternoon bling tours." Reminds me of Audrey Hepburn in Breakfast at Tiffanys. New York Pricescopers probably pass each other on the streets of the diamond district without knowing it!

Oh, I''ve been wanting to talk to someone about this for a while. Sometimes I turn my ring around in the subway. Maybe it''s because I just got it and feel uncomfortable with the sparkles around strangers, but do you ever do that? My mom and FMIL don''t think I should wear my e-ring at night and definitely not in the subways. How do you feel?

robbie3982

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/2/2006 10:16:40 PM
Author: CrownJewel
MISS FINE! Yay! I loved your post. I''ve thought many times about going for an afternoon walk in the diamond district. My fiance works across the street from MoMA, which is a few blocks from the diamond district, and SERIOUSLY, if I were him, forget lunch with the work buddies! I''d be lunching everyday with the bling buddies!

I really love the fact that you take ''afternoon bling tours.'' Reminds me of Audrey Hepburn in Breakfast at Tiffanys. New York Pricescopers probably pass each other on the streets of the diamond district without knowing it!

Oh, I''ve been wanting to talk to someone about this for a while. Sometimes I turn my ring around in the subway. Maybe it''s because I just got it and feel uncomfortable with the sparkles around strangers, but do you ever do that? My mom and FMIL don''t think I should wear my e-ring at night and definitely not in the subways. How do you feel?
I don''t live in NY, but I live in Youngstown which just got voted into the top 10 most dangerous places to live in the US and I definitely feel the need to turn my ring around at times. I have to be in places that aren''t very nice sometimes for work. Part of my job is auditing all of the places where we sell newspapers, so I end up in some really sketchy convenience stores. It makes me really nervous to wear in some of those places, but I can''t bring myself to take it off so I just turn it around.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results