shape
carat
color
clarity

No she did NOT use that on her ring!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
30.gif
30.gif
Worth staying up for!!! YUMMO!!!!
36.gif

marvel

Brilliant_Rock
Wow!! Gorgeous ring!!!

msb700

Brilliant_Rock
that is one amazing ring! please do continue to post some more pics.....

wat r the specs and finger size on that beauty? and of course would love to see some hand shots!

Fran Fine

Rough_Rock
please ignore the hand - my camera picks up EVERYTHING, and I swear my hands did not look that bad
15.gif

powder.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is one magnificent ring, Fran! Just perfection for an emerald cut as far as I am concerned. I don''t recall your posting the specs..how many carats is that center stone?

njc

Brilliant_Rock
HOLY COW!!! Your ring is a real stunner Fran!!!! I think that may be my new favorite Leon!!!
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
I second needing some specs on that sucker...

And I also cant wait to hear what the out come is of this grease lightning!!!

And sorry to continue the thread high-jack...
Cehrabehra - we have a mini schnauzer (small - 20 lbs, no shedding) and they are supposed to be GREAT with kids. While we dont have any yet, our mini is SOOOO good with my neice and nephew and the kids in the neighborhood (ages 6 months to 10). The other day she sat so nice and calm while our neighbors 14mo granddaughter fed her dirt! It was too cute to stop! Having grown up with labs, our mini is very rough and tumble and playfully just like a lab w/o all the shedding... she and DH wrestle ALL the time. You could also get a standard schnauzer which is about 10 lbs more. Okay, done... sorry... thanks!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I third needing specs on that puppy!!!!! Especially caratage weigh of the centre!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

What a stunner! More hand pics please!

cheers--Sharon

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
GORGEOUS
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

And if you''re AT ALL funny & a fellow writer/producer in NYC: you''re my new best friend. Just thought you should know ... so you can put me on the x-mas card list etc.
2.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Miss Fine, seriously, you need to make a thread on this ring! It''s gorgeous, and, these women can be brutal, they''ll hound you I''m tellin ya.
2.gif

Let me offer a photo tip, I only know after taking several *cough* hundred myself,
9.gif
, you''ll get the best pics in diffused daylight. Like a very bright room, but not in direct sunlight. Or, outside, but again, not direct sun. Hope this helps

Fran Fine

Rough_Rock
Good morning! It's sunny in NY, and we have Edith Piaf playing right now - Non, Je Ne Regrette Rien -as we pretend to contemplate taking a quick mid-day run in the park. I'm feeling a looooot better than I did yesterday. "Beautiful day" wishes to all of you~

We were extremely lucky with the stone. It was my fiance's grandmother's anniversary pendant from the 1960's, and it was cut down from over 4 1/2 carats in the early 90's by a relative who inherited the stone and wished to sell it. He never sold it and it ended up going in a ring for his wife until SHE upgraded to a 4 carat asscher (that thing is beautiful). It was recut because, although it was nearly four and a half carats, it was an SI1-2 due to what I understand were a few chips and inclusions on both the girdle and pavillion. We only paid the price of a one carat for the stone, (not including, of course, the price of Leon's amazing setting). Leon was really nice to work with - he's a perfectionist, but a really nice guy. Knowing how auteurs can be, I was a bit afraid at different parts of the process where I wanted to suggest something different. He got a bit annoyed, NOT because I wanted to change, but because I was afraid to tell him I wanted something different. He said that it's my ring, and that I needed to be open and honest about what I wanted. I think the only thing we disagreed on is the height of the setting. I wanted the center stone to sit high, solitaire style, and he wanted more of, I don't know,a band-flow effect? So, the center stone and the side stones would all be on the same level. I love that stye of ring, but I prefer the higher solitaire style. It has a more engagement-y look to me. It's funny because it is, in effect, a pretty simple ring - classic emerald cut setting with baguettes. But Leon's famous 3 sided pave really kicked it up a notch for me.

Current specs: 3.23 (center), J , VS1. Baguettes are roughly .05 carats each. Band is platinum, I think a bit over 2mm, and the beautifully-set pave is 3-sided. I know a lot of people don't like warm colors, and believe it brings down the value, but this stone is really beautiful. I described it once as an older, classically beautiful woman with golden highlights. Those prismy flashes of gold when the light hits it just so is what makes it so incredibly gorgeous to me. People always think it's bigger than it is - I don't know if it's the way that it's cut, or the setting. I know it's not as valuable $$$-wise as a D, IF stone, but if pricing is subjective, meaning, if things cost what people pay for them? Then this stone is priceless to me. If money had been no object, I would have chosen it over a whiter stone, due to the family history and its warm beauty.

I was inspired by some of the designs on pricescope. I wasn't sure about having pave with a step cut until I saw some amazing examples of it here.

I now have a thing for cushion cuts. I'm fantasizng over a cushion cut solitaire, 4 carats, set in platinum wit 3-sided pave. I LOVE all of the cushions that I've seen on this site, and it's the stone my eye is now drawn to when I go on my bling tours. I saw one yesterday at the store on the southeast corner of 47th and 5th - the cut was so incredibly exquisite, roughly 4-5 carats. It had this mercurial depth that was just unbelieveable, and the facets were so intricate and perfect. Sheer perfection.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Thanks for sharing your story. I, too, think it appears much larger! I love emerald cuts, they have such a grace about them. BTW, what is your finger size?

cheers--Sharon

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
IT certainly is magnificent, Fran! And how nice to have to opportunity to get a family stone like that!!!

widget

Ideal_Rock
Oh, my! That beauty having a family connection makes it even more special!! How wonderful!
1.gif

Fran, I've got a question, if you don't mind...I LOVE LOVE LOVE Leon's 3-sided pave shanks...just like yours. I've admired them forever.

Now that you've lived with your ring for a while, do you still love it? I may SOMEDAY have him mount colored stone for me. As tempted as I would be to do it like yours, part of me thinks it's sort of a waste because the pave would be mostly obscured by the finger coverage above. Am I wrong?

Do you think it adds a LOT to your mounting? or is it more just a wonderful sparkly bonus for mostly you to enjoy?

Thanks! (Aren't ECs the greatest? So classic!)
widget

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
OMG what a beautiful ring. Absolutely love it. I am seriously thinking of having Leon designing a ring for me, using a loose Padparadscha sapphire stone that I have.

Linda

Fran Fine

Rough_Rock
Thanks again for the comments. Yup, the ring is not that big (by NYC standards) - if you ever need a reality check, go to Bergdorf Goodman on Friday afternoon - head straight for the shoe salon on the 2nd floor. ETA - the women who shop in this section wear RINGS. Pricescope fanatics could literally set up bleachers and just sit and watch the diamond parade go by - absolutely fantastic.

Ellen, thanks for the photo tips. I tried to take some better ones today to take advantage of the sunlight. I haven't even downloaded them yet, so when I do, I'll see if some look better.

decodelighted -
9.gif
- I'm still relatively junior, but I've gotten some good spots under my belt. I was batting a 1000, so I thought I was infallible and then someone's reaction to my latest submission was like, "Uh, yeah, um...NO!"
15.gif
I'm still growing a backbone.

Canuk-gal - your ring is so incredibly beyond stunning - it could EAT my ring, and STILL have room. It's just fabulous. My ring finger is a size 7, but they've been bloated lately due to a medication I'm taking.

Widget - re: the 3-sided pave, for me it adds a bit o kick to the whole thing. I've had the ring for quite a whle now, and I love it still. It's such a small detail but it makes the ring for me. It's like the ring is wearing diamond studs - it's a little extra dressing that the stone doesn't NEED to look good, but still gets a little lift from. I also like the simple baguette look without pave - it's such a classic look.

Linda W- if you can do it, do it. It'd be such a special gift for yourself and you'd feel good everytime you wore it. I mean that about any well-made custome jewelry, not just Leon. It's just nice to know that it's your unique piece.

Julian

Brilliant_Rock
Oh that is one fabulous ring! Gorgeous stone, amazing setting... beautiful story, too!

30.gif

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
I'm a late arrival to this thread, but I just want to add my welcome to Fran Fine. Thanks for posting pics of your stunning ring for us - that is some serious eye candy you have there!!!

bling*diva*

Ideal_Rock
~~Fran, your ring is
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
18.gif
18.gif
18.gif
!!!! It''s stunning!!!!!!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you Miss Fine, I am happy now and what a great story!
12.gif

Eva17

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you for sharing Fran. Your ring is sooooo beautiful.

Yesterday was a great day in the city. DH and I spent the day and saw Jersey Boys in the PM. (OMG, Loved IT!)

Thanks for sharing your Leon story. I am interested in having a reset done by him, so glad to hear he is open to some suggestions....

:)

Brilliant_Rock
That is a gorgeous stone and gorgeous setting - I love it! Please post more pics! Since you have been lurking for quite some time without posting pics prior, we may have to suspend your PS card until you give us more!
31.gif
31.gif

Has anyone heard anything back from the manufacturer?

Is this 'bleach powered greased lightening' made by HomeCare Labs, Inc? If this is the product, then it looks like it may not be safe for metals...

"Incompatible materials: Avoid contact with acids, bases, metals, salts of metals, reducing agents, organic material, chlorine bleaches" (copied from the materials data safety sheet)

If it is the MULTIPURPOSE formula, it does look like it is lye, (as LadyKemma already said), along with 2 butoxyethanol - which there are warnings about..

from the CDC:
"How can 2-butoxyethanol and 2-butoxyethanol acetate affect my health?
People exposed to high levels of 2-butoxyethanol for several hours reported irritation of the nose and eyes, headache, a metallic taste in their mouths, and vomiting. No harmful effects were seen on their lungs or hearts. People who swallowed large amounts of cleaning agents containing 2-butoxyethanol have shown breathing problems, low blood pressure, low levels of hemoglobin (the substance in the blood that carries oxygen to organs of the body), acidic blood, and blood in the urine....Animal studies have shown hemolysis (destruction of red blood cells that results in the release of hemoglobin) from exposure to 2-butoxyethanol and 2-butoxyethanol acetate. High doses of 2-butoxyethanol can also cause reproductive problems and minor birth defects in animals."

I seriously doubt that cleaning your ring for a short period would result in any of that, but maybe just be aware not to have prolonged exposure to it like having it sit out open in a small poorly ventilated room all day (and don't swallow it!!).

I don't see a specific precaution on the material data safety sheet on metals, but on 'strong' oxidizing agents, a caution on mixing with any other chemicals (important since PSers like to try to come up with 'concoctions' to clean with!), a caution to wash hands throughly with soap and water after use, a consideration for gloves for prolonged use or sensitive skin, and to make sure to use in a well ventilated area.

I would be willing to try it if it works as well as you say it does!! (and provided the manufacturer doesn't come back with more concerns!)

robbie3982

Ideal_Rock
no word back yet!

lizz

Brilliant_Rock
I bought the Greased Lightning today, and to everyone: it works great! Thanks, Fran Fine. You were right. (I also cleaned the toilet with it!)
9.gif

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Fran your eing is stunning! Make sure to add it to the EC thread. ECs are VERY hard to photograph. I feel your pain. I have still not mastered yet but you just have to take a TON to get a few decent ones.

Mrs Mitchell

Ideal_Rock
Hi, I''m fairly new here, but having an emerald cut e-ring I have devoted a fair bit of time and energy into cleaning it- thought I''d share the thing I''ve found works best! My mother swears by it too (and not just for cleaning). Put a measure of neat gin in an egg cup, add your bling and leave it for a couple of minutes. Brush with a soft toothbrush, rinse in really hot water and polish with a soft cloth. I used to do this every week for my mother when I was a kid, got an amazing sparkle on her e-ring (princess sapphire, diamond halo).

For cleaning my own e-ring (emerald cut, usually grubby) I took this up a gear - I use neat gin in the ultrasonic now and again - my emerald sparkles almost like a round brilliant!! (for about ten minutes!). Ok, so it might be a bit weird, but it really works.
37.gif

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
WOW Fran you''ve been hiding a GREAT ring from us.

So cool that it''s a family stone.

Please start your own thread in SMTR with the new photos you took! I''d love to get a closer look at the setting.

UCLABelle

Ideal_Rock
YUMMY!!!!! Just yummy!

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/5/2006 5:53:08 PM
Author: Mrs Mitchell
Hi, I''m fairly new here, but having an emerald cut e-ring I have devoted a fair bit of time and energy into cleaning it- thought I''d share the thing I''ve found works best! My mother swears by it too (and not just for cleaning). Put a measure of neat gin in an egg cup, add your bling and leave it for a couple of minutes. Brush with a soft toothbrush, rinse in really hot water and polish with a soft cloth. I used to do this every week for my mother when I was a kid, got an amazing sparkle on her e-ring (princess sapphire, diamond halo).

For cleaning my own e-ring (emerald cut, usually grubby) I took this up a gear - I use neat gin in the ultrasonic now and again - my emerald sparkles almost like a round brilliant!! (for about ten minutes!). Ok, so it might be a bit weird, but it really works.
37.gif

I am willing to try anything!!! My emerald cut gathers dirt really easily...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results