shape
carat
color
clarity

No MWM ring for me.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/8/2007 7:39:29 PM
Author: Garry H (Cut Nut)

Sorry to hear the prob''s Gypsy - I can see where he is vcoming from as an employer of 6 bench jewellers.

We have extremely fussy clients from time to time, and on rare occasions i have stepped in and asked if the client wants ''design award'' finish which is judged by our peers to be flawless and should hold up to 5x magnification. This can cost 2 times more depending on the piece. I have only seen 1 MM piece and it was not that quality - but it was a top commercial finish.

The trouble is when you are in that position t is almost a challenge to the client to find the flaw - so i usually also step in over the staff who are working with the cleint and demand design changes that avoid hard to get to crevices etc.

BTW someone referred to Mark as a Pricescope jeweller - I do not believe MM has ever advertised here on Pricescope - but he obviously benefits financially and also from the wonderful designs that come his way from the resourceful Pscope family.
His site is on this page; is this a free listing?

https://www.pricescope.com/designers.aspx

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Yes DS, it''s free as well as all the Galleries ShowCases for vendors, we even list some vendors as advertisers for free as we see fit.

Now, about that ring i posted, thank you all who liked it, i will have more information very soon on both 4 and 6 prongs and will tell what company is making the line.
Miranda, i don''t see why not an oval, but i will ask to be sure.
Widget, it''s a great idea, thank you, i already have a 3-stone in my head and will make a photoshop soon.

Gypsy, sorry for the thread-jack, i felt i have to throw in one more option for you.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/8/2007 9:23:31 PM
Author: decodelighted

Date: 2/8/2007 8:16:48 PM
Author: Cehrabehra
Maybe he should stick to doing his art and selling it ready made.
Wow. Just wow.

So ...if an ''artist'' doesn''t want to execute EVERY arm-chair designer''s sugar plum visions, ahem ... flawlessly, don''t forget flawlessly .. he should just shut himself away from ALL clients??
38.gif
I admit that I used a broad brush there Deco, but not nearly as broad as the one you''re using to paint what I said.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/8/2007 11:10:50 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006
Gosh, I think one would have to speak to Mark Morrell personally to make any judgment about his character. But I think he does very fine work and has every reason to be selective on the jobs he takes. As Garry said earlier, if someone is going to use a 10x loupe to examine the rings, then they probably need to pay more than the standard amount for that level of perfection. But the funny thing here to me is, Gypsy still seems to respect MM in spite of the situation because I know she liked him when she talked to him. It''s others who are jumping to conclusions.
See - I thought that was why MM *already* charges more - because he has a higher standard of perfection.

I have nothing against the guy himself and I begrudge him not one iota for his choices - honestly. BUT I do know without a shadow of a doubt he isn''t someone I could work with and it''s pretty likely he''d feel the same way. Is that a fact? We''ll never know.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/8/2007 11:27:32 PM
Author: Pricescope
Yes DS, it''s free as well as all the Galleries ShowCases for vendors, we even list some vendors as advertisers for free as we see fit.

Now, about that ring i posted, thank you all who liked it, i will have more information very soon on both 4 and 6 prongs and will tell what company is making the line.
Widget, it''s a great idea, thank you, i already have a 3-stone in my head and will make a photoshop soon.

Gypsy, sorry for the thread-jack, i felt i have to throw in one more option for you.
That is very nice of you to do that! And congrats on the new ring design!

IrishAngel7982

Brilliant_Rock
Gypsy~
I''m sorry this project with MM fell through. Que sera, sera right? It will all work out in the end. =)

Irina~
I can''t wait to find out more about that setting. It''s gorgeous!!!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/8/2007 11:33:26 PM

Gosh, I think one would have to speak to Mark Morrell personally to make any judgment about his character. But I think he does very fine work and has every reason to be selective on the jobs he takes. As Garry said earlier, if someone is going to use a 10x loupe to examine the rings, then they probably need to pay more than the standard amount for that level of perfection. But the funny thing here to me is, Gypsy still seems to respect MM in spite of the situation because I know she liked him when she talked to him. It''s others who are jumping to conclusions.
See - I thought that was why MM *already* charges more - because he has a higher standard of perfection.

I have nothing against the guy himself and I begrudge him not one iota for his choices - honestly. BUT I do know without a shadow of a doubt he isn''t someone I could work with and it''s pretty likely he''d feel the same way. Is that a fact? We''ll never know.
Actually I found his prices to be very reasonable and no more than the Ritani''s, Scott Kay, and other brands I looked at (and he is less than some of them). For example, the wedding band I priced from him had high quality diamonds, more diamond weight, and was platinum, and it was only $600 more than my Memoire ring in 18k wg.

(Off topic: Cehra, just curious if you have seen much of Ocean''s work? I just don''t recall seeing mention of her with ring pictures here. I''d like to see some.)

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/8/2007 11:27:32 PM

OH-- another Irina original design??? No wonder I love it.

I don''t suppose you want to tackle a halo with plain shank project, do you??
11.gif
I have a power point with offending language removed...
9.gif
Just kidding!

DS and Cehra I too would love to see more of Ocean''s work. I love MWM''s designs because of the fluid quality of them... which ironically is why I love Irina''s too... hers are so fluid as well.

DS I really do respect him. And I do like him. I am just bummed that I messed it up. That''s really it.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy, it was not intentional on your part at all. We know that. It was one of those things that just happened and it was just not something that you thought about before sending the ppt. I really respect your attitude on this, I just have to say.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thank you DS.

I''m wearing my big-girl pants today.
3.gif

luvmysparklies

Brilliant_Rock
Collete- I appreciate your statement of Mark being "an absolute sweetheart" because your statement was formed by your experience. However, to me, Mark is NOT an absolute sweetheart, he was a complete jerk.

Like I said, I sent pics of rings with aspects that I liked and said that I would like something of this flavor, etc. Did little arrow thingys pointing out elements that I wanted incorporated. These were my wedding bands and I never thought that I would have such negativity associated with something so meaningful to me. I didn''t use any words that could have remotely been misinterpreted as me wanting to over-manage the process. My words specifically were, ""hey, I like this....here''s an example of what I don''t like...let me know your thoughts, etc." I paid the fees. And I left him alone.

After over six months went by, I found myself begging for CAD images to at least see something. Then when I finally got the rings, His Greatness had not even hallmarked them. So back again for hallmarking and then the waiting again.

He picks and chooses who he wants to be a sweetheart to and I was not one of those folks. Gee, and I didn''t even use any words that are apparently "kryptonite" for him. Whatever.

For the poster who asked about a further peek into Ocean''s work, if you check out Wink''s site, there is a beautimous tanzanite pendant on one of the pages that has melee, oh, lemme spell it like Mark "melle" accent stones and a pear diamond underneath. It really is pretty.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
When I read his website I thought, now here's a guy who has obviously had a few customers from Hell.
He must be so good, and busy, that he doesn't have to put up with them any more.
(I am not saying you are a customer from Hell.)
He must have just sensed that possibility and I respect him for declining the job, especially in the professional way he did.

I think his website will only turn off the people he doesn't want to hassle with anyway.
A smart man knows he can’t please all the people all the time, and in my book he has no ethical obligation to try.
Even the local coffee shop has a sign that reads: We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone.

This subject is very interesting to me because, as you guys know I am the nit-picky type of customer who wants perfection.
I am aware that I need to be careful how I come across.
I used to drive my piano technician crazy.

But I have learned an important lesson.
All my energy needs to go into selecting the right professional.
After selecting him I need to shut up, trust him and leave him alone to do his job.

enbcfsobe

Brilliant_Rock
Gypsy -- I'm sorry it didn't work out. I'm sure you will find the right designer/jeweler for you. I felt like I needed to offer support to a fellow kitty-owning lawyer, but I haven't gotten far enough into this process to offer much advice. Good luck!!

As for the new design Irina posted -- will it be available both with/without the inset stones (not sure what the proper term is for those)?? It is a beautiful design!

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/8/2007 11:57:42 PM

Date: 2/8/2007 11:33:26 PM

Actually I found his prices to be very reasonable and no more than the Ritani''s, Scott Kay, and other brands I looked at (and he is less than some of them). For example, the wedding band I priced from him had high quality diamonds, more diamond weight, and was platinum, and it was only $600 more than my Memoire ring in 18k wg.

(Off topic: Cehra, just curious if you have seen much of Ocean''s work? I just don''t recall seeing mention of her with ring pictures here. I''d like to see some.)
were you there for the presentation they did on the jewelry she made for the prince? there was a whole suite and wink used her to go over the whole custom process using her sketches and through the finished product. But I agree there''s none on PS .... I''ll see if I can get anything :)

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/9/2007 12:47:26 PM
Author: luvmysparklies

For the poster who asked about a further peek into Ocean''s work, if you check out Wink''s site, there is a beautimous tanzanite pendant on one of the pages that has melee, oh, lemme spell it like Mark ''melle'' accent stones and a pear diamond underneath. It really is pretty.
http://www.winkjones.com/gallery/design.php

this is some of the stuff he used in his presentation....

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/9/2007 1:44:51 PM

were you there for the presentation they did on the jewelry she made for the prince? there was a whole suite and wink used her to go over the whole custom process using her sketches and through the finished product. But I agree there''s none on PS .... I''ll see if I can get anything :)
No, unfortunately Wink''s presentations are often at a hard time for me to watch. So I missed it. I''ll check the link you gave. I couldn''t find anything when I looked. Thanks!

kathleen

Rough_Rock
Gypsy-

Would you ever consider going back to Mark and explaining that you, in no way, meant to insult him? And that you do trust him and his judgement, etc., etc. And ask him if he would he still make your ring. Maybe he was having an off day, and the wording just rubbed him the wrong way. Maybe if you explained yourself he would reconsider, that is, if you would still want him to make your ring. Just a thought.....

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi Kathleen,

I did do exactly that in an email.

His wife responded, very politely but quite firmly that, and I am qouting this directly: "Once bitten, twice shy," and sincerely wished me luck in my search.

2.gif

kathleen

Rough_Rock
Oh gosh I''m sorry. Something will work out though. Hang in there.

:)

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/8/2007 5:56:34 PM
Gypsy, if you are looking for an extra bling not necessarily for a halo, this ring will be available as a line from a respectable designer company very soon, there is another one too, but this one will accommodate an asscher.
May be it''s better for you to get a ''ready'' ring, not a custom - kind of ''what you see is what you get''.
Gypsy, I am sorry.

Irina - that is GORGEOUS! Does the gamma, alpha, mu, alpha (gama?) mean anything? It reminds me a bit of the ribbons (upside down) used for breast cancer remembrance, etc
Also is that 4 prong or 6 prong? How soon will it be available?
9.gif

Cind11

Brilliant_Rock
What about Maytal Hoftman? She''s sweet and so easy to work with.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/9/2007 3:44:13 PM
Author: Cind11
What about Maytal Hoftman? She''s sweet and so easy to work with.
I was thinking about her... she doesn''t do her own benchwork... and I don''t know if she has a CAD, because I would really like the process unfold, but she''s an option. Although... I haven''t really seen enough of her non-Beaudry type pieces to know if does more ''modern'' flowy work.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Oh goodness! Good luck on your search for another artist who helps you realize your vision.

cheers--Sharon

rainwood

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Gypsy - I too commend your great attitude about this. Much of my practice focuses on contracts too (although I''ve also done a lot of litigation so have seen all sides of the process). It took me a lot longer and on something a lot bigger (the design of our house) to figure out that part of the problem might be me. Good luck to you. You''ll find something and someone that works for you.

Sparklies - I''m sorry to hear your experience with MWM wasn''t good. Not every match is made in heaven and there have been not so positive experiences with virtually every designer out there, including Mark. Sometimes it just doesn''t work and that''s a shame.

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
Irina, I love this setting! Please put me on the "Notify" list when manufacturing starts. Have you thought about a wedding band to compliment this?

Gypsy, no biggie - don''t even worry about it. Could you imagine how miserable you would be if you went ahead with the project and the two of you didn''t get along? Ugh - that would be horrid. He probably saved you a lot of grief.

You want something fairly specific, so you hardly need MM to execute your vision. He probably sensed that you have clear, specific ideas and maybe didn''t want his "artistic license" to be squelched. That''s my guess.

I seriously think you are better off. Find someone to manufacture your own design - it''s far more satisfying to wear your own design anyway, particularly when you get compliments!
2.gif

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Felt the need to double post this. Big girl pants are off... but not with regard to MWM.

It''s the assumptions that are irritating me.

You know all the magified pics people post on here and then every one disects to death? Yeah... if you''ll notice I normally don''t say anything in those posts. You know why? I usually can''t SPOT the problem. Unless its a tilted head... then its fairly obvious.

I have a a cast, probably Adwar setting on my finger now... when Mara and I went to JE and they polished it... I FINALLY noticed that it had been all scratched up over the years, only because the difference was so remarkable. AND my setting has a 4 mm ripple in it that admittedly bugs the heck out of me? But you know why? I can see it, with my naked eye from 2 feet away... that''s how big it is.

I''m not super picky about that stuff actually.

What I am picky about is that the person who does my setting have a style that is compatible with mine, solid proven quality... that will last so that I can pass this ring on, and that they have enough artistic vision so that I do NOT have to be an armchair designer.

I am picky about the DESIGN.... and honestly I left MUCH of that to Mark... I told him I want a halo with very small bead set pave, a plain 2 mm band, double claw prongs to hold my diamond and interwoven wires connecting the head to the shank. THAT''S IT.

Is that your idea of impossible to please???

I don''t want to control every detail of the process. I prefer not to. I was very happy with Mark. Had ZERO issues with him. And I made a few unfortunate word choices when I was trying to avoid having to deal with poor workmanship like some of the other''s on here have had to deal with.

Was it necessary to state that with Mark? No. But as I explained... I didn''t realize how bad my word choice was.

It was a DICTION error folks. My JOB is writing things in such a way as to PROTECT people from harm. I was just protecting myself. Please stop assuming that I''m this Nit picky freak. I REALLY do not appreciate it.
29.gif

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
Gypsy I don't see that you were in error at all. Something in your communication apparently reminded Mark of a bad experience with a previous client and he just made the choice to pass on your project. If that is the way he feels then you really are better off finding someone who is at least willing to hear you out and be receptive to what you are trying to do. I don't think you are being nit picky or difficult to work with at all.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/9/2007 8:22:36 PM
Author: Gypsy
Please stop assuming that I''m this Nit picky freak. I REALLY do not appreciate it.
29.gif
I never thought that of you gypsy - in fact I think we aren''t too far apart on this and I would be very upset in your shoes. I think your goals are realistic and I''m sure you will get your ring when the stars align and the universe sings <~ giggle just a little :)

lumpkin

Ideal_Rock
What bothers me about this is that you have been left feeling sort of rejected. It seems to me it was a rather abrupt decision on MWM''s part and he sort of slammed the door on the whole project, then left his wife to deal with you. That''s just icky. I love his work, but it''s not worth dealing with someone so temperamental and unpredictable. If anything, it seems like HE is being difficult. True, he doesn''t have to take any projects he doesn''t want to, but it was kind of personal the way this went down. He could have said he''s getting really busy and prefers not to do custom and only uses proven designs...any number of ways to be a lot more tactful. I just have no use for giving money to people intent on insulting me, and I think that''s how you might want to see this. Give your money to someone who values your patronage, not someone who instills a feeling that you are priveleged he chose to work with you.

I''m really sorry you had this experience. I''m glad you shared it so everyone gets the benefit of knowing a little more about MWM''s MO.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results