shape
carat
color
clarity

How to find the certificate number of ANY stone on James Allen without contacting support

Lynniiee

Rough_Rock
Follow up from How to find the certificate of any stone on Brilliant Earth:
https://www.pricescope.com/communit...number-of-any-stone-on-brilliantearth.248213/

If you're like me, and frustrated that they're purposefully hiding this information, follow along and I'll show you how to find it yourself. Without having to contact support.

1. Go to the details page of your diamond, I’ll use this one as an example:

https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-di...h-color-vs2-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-6448481

2. Right click somewhere on the page, and press “Inspect”. This might be different depending on your browser, basically we want to open Developer tools.

If you don’t know how to do that on your browser, you can find out here:

https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Learn/Common_questions/What_are_browser_developer_tools

It should open you to the elements tab, where you’ll see the html of the page.
upload_2019-4-11_20-27-2.png

3. Click on something in the main pane under elements, and press ctrl + f to start a search, and search for the word "certificate"

You should see something like this:

upload_2019-4-11_20-27-50.png

4. Now highlight "certimg" and paste that url in your browser.
https://ion.r2net.com/Sets/Diamond/6448481/cert.jpg
upload_2019-4-11_20-30-17.png

And wala! Your certificate is there.

KSTexan

Rough_Rock
Is there a similar way to get one of the videos from the web page? I just bought a diamond, and I thought my wife would love to have a copy of the video for posterity. I spoke to an SA, and she said that they didn't have a way to provide the video. I'm assuming the web page for that diamond will eventually go away, so I'd like to find a way to get the video.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Follow up from How to find the certificate of any stone on Brilliant Earth:
https://www.pricescope.com/communit...number-of-any-stone-on-brilliantearth.248213/

If you're like me, and frustrated that they're purposefully hiding this information, follow along and I'll show you how to find it yourself. Without having to contact support.

1. Go to the details page of your diamond, I’ll use this one as an example:

https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-di...h-color-vs2-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-6448481

2. Right click somewhere on the page, and press “Inspect”. This might be different depending on your browser, basically we want to open Developer tools.

If you don’t know how to do that on your browser, you can find out here:

https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Learn/Common_questions/What_are_browser_developer_tools

It should open you to the elements tab, where you’ll see the html of the page.
upload_2019-4-11_20-27-2.png

3. Click on something in the main pane under elements, and press ctrl + f to start a search, and search for the word "certificate"

You should see something like this:

upload_2019-4-11_20-27-50.png

4. Now highlight "certimg" and paste that url in your browser.
https://ion.r2net.com/Sets/Diamond/6448481/cert.jpg
upload_2019-4-11_20-30-17.png

And wala! Your certificate is there.

I love how you think. I also have a crush on you now. :bigsmile:

Lynniiee

Rough_Rock
@KSTexan could you post the link to the diamond here or message me? I’d love to give it a shot :)

Thanks everyone, happy to help :kiss2:

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
You have to marvel at how much effort, thought and money went into the decision to make cert numbers invisible and how easily all of it can be circumvented with a little tech knowledge. Thank you for sharing. this reasonably easy fix. Now, what is the next move in this game of chess?

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Why would one put in the extra effort when other sites do the right thing?
Rewarding anti-consumer behavior is never a good idea.
If they get by with it other sites might start doing the same thing.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This IS a possible work-around, but managing that many windows or tabs in a browser and keep them straight when trying to compare apples to apples is just too aggravating for me personally when - as Karl noted - other vendors do the right thing and make it easier for me to compare & buy from them.

Last edited:

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
While I appreciate you posting this @Lynniiee, I'm not willing to go through that much effort for someone when I can go to say bluenile and look at
the report right there in the same window. No cutting/pasting/extra window to deal with. At times I can be evaluating 10 stones at once. That's
20 windows. Not going to happen. Obviously Lynniiee this post is not directed to you.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
While I appreciate you posting this @Lynniiee, I'm not willing to go through that much effort for someone when I can go to say bluenile and look at
the report right there in the same window. No cutting/pasting/extra window to deal with. At times I can be evaluating 10 stones at once. That's
20 windows. Not going to happen. Obviously Lynniiee this post is not directed to you.
Exactly! Why should we need to use work arounds + extra effort to recommend stones??? It's great that there's an option, but we shouldn't need it! This unfriendly customer position and extra work makes me so irritated.

TheBlingleys

Rough_Rock
I am flat out not willing to do the extra work. This pushes our pending upgrade towards the vendor we originally considered. It’s their company they are choosing the customers they want. I am not the customer they want.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I can't find fault with the vast majority of responses which indicate working around this elimination of certs simply being listed with diamonds is a business killer and a mistake. In my field, I have become used to the idea of searching for hidden facts and data, so it seems less of an issue for me. It makes no sens to make what is so easily found elsewhere far more difficult and tricky on one website. It is way less trouble to shop at another URL. We should bet on how long this no cert trial may last.

Lynniiee

Rough_Rock
I 100% agree with you all, the fact that they hide this information frustrates and angers me greatly.

I’ll post some of my thoughts to JA’s defense of their reasoning in the original thread after I get off work. I have a lot of thoughts to vent about :evil2:

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OR, you can open a window, put this in the address bar: https://ion.r2net.com/Sets/Diamond/6448481/cert.jpg

Except, instead of “6448481”, you put in the sku of the diamond you’re looking at.
Thanks @Lynniiee !!!! :wavey:

FYI everyone ... it seems JA has disabled this ‘back door’ to view lab reports, as I just tried it with two random diamonds and got the below message. This makes me just really dislike them even more; it’s super shady going to such lengths to actually hide information about their products, not to mention telling customers different reasons for it. :liar:

We’re not talking about trade secrets here ... it’s not like JA is on the cusp of curing cancer, and we’re competition trying to figure out their secret. And it’s not like shoppers are trying to commit fraud by viewing the lab reports for diamonds JA supposedly wants to sell. I guess they just don’t want to sell them bad enough. :roll:
2A630C21-A31B-408D-94B5-85FA7C2F2638.jpeg

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
FYI everyone ... it seems JA has disabled this ‘back door’ to view lab reports, as I just tried it with two random diamonds and got the below message. This makes me just really dislike them even more; it’s super shady going to such lengths to actually hide information about their products, not to mention telling customers different reasons for it. :liar:

We’re not talking about trade secrets here ... it’s not like JA is on the cusp of curing cancer, and we’re competition trying to figure out their secret. And it’s not like shoppers are trying to commit fraud by viewing the lab reports for diamonds JA supposedly wants to sell. I guess they just don’t want to sell them bad enough. :roll:

Disgusting imo and I will not recommend them anymore to anyone while this ludicrous business decision continues.

cokitty

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hard pass from me. I had worked with JA multiple times in the past. I understood when they did not want to post the cert numbers because they spent extra time and money to make and post the videos and then folks were buying them on sites who didnt have the overhead of those expenses...but no cert to pull the angles etc? Sad but they've lost my business.

Wewechew

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I was curious to see how long it would take them to change their code on this.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It may have been done sooner; I just happened to try it today and low & behold ...

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results