shape
carat
color
clarity

Newbie - Need morganite assistance

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you want light pink then Malaya Garnets don't fit in that category. They are typically a lovely rose pink in incandescent light but by daylight can look much more brown/peach.

Light pink stones to look at are:-

1. Topaz (untreated and natural) but may not be within your budget
2. Sapphire - durable and should be affordable
3. Spinel - I haven't seen many light pink ones recently but look at AJS and Multicolour
4. Kunzite - will be easy to find in light pink BUT it's not a robust stone and some do fade (impossible to know if yours will or not)

aubiedoll

Rough_Rock
FrekeChild|1299362028|2865624 said:
aubiedoll|1299359668|2865604 said:
Do a search here for "Malaya"

As for that stone, I'm not sold. It's got a little window, but that's not a huge deal. I just thought you wanted a light pink/peach cushion?

I do want a light pink/peach cushion. However, I'm not ruling out the idea of other options. I've even looked at a couple of tourmalines from the two vendors tourmaline_lover suggested above. I don't want to miss out on "the stone" by being dead set on one particular stone, ya know?

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
aubiedoll|1299362468|2865646 said:
FrekeChild|1299362028|2865624 said:
aubiedoll|1299359668|2865604 said:
Do a search here for "Malaya"

As for that stone, I'm not sold. It's got a little window, but that's not a huge deal. I just thought you wanted a light pink/peach cushion?

I do want a light pink/peach cushion. However, I'm not ruling out the idea of other options. I've even looked at a couple of tourmalines from the two vendors tourmaline_lover suggested above. I don't want to miss out on "the stone" by being dead set on one particular stone, ya know?
Ok. I'm just saying I thought the end goal was a light pink/peach cushion, doesn't matter what type it is? That could be morganite, spinel, garnet (although that's not really a lighter colored stone ordinarily), sapphire, tourmaline, topaz...etc.

Here is my advice:
Figure out what you want, what color, depth of color, size, shape, how often you'd be wearing it and usage for it (ring, necklace, etc), and we'll try to guide you in the right direction and help you find a stone. If you go out looking for anything that catches your eye, you're going to end up with a lot more than 1 stone, and you're going to lose sight of what you wanted originally. Been there, done that, got the t-shirt. Looking for something that "catches your eye", at least at this stage of gem buying and with no real goal in mind, is a dangerous game to be playing.

Also, you should try to find LamborghiniGirl's tourmaline ring. I have a feeling it will be right up your alley.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

aubiedoll

Rough_Rock
Here is my advice:
Figure out what you want, what color, depth of color, size, shape, how often you'd be wearing it and usage for it (ring, necklace, etc), and we'll try to guide you in the right direction and help you find a stone. If you go out looking for anything that catches your eye, you're going to end up with a lot more than 1 stone, and you're going to lose sight of what you wanted originally. Been there, done that, got the t-shirt. Looking for something that "catches your eye", at least at this stage of gem buying and with no real goal in mind, is a dangerous game to be playing.

Also, you should try to find LamborghiniGirl's tourmaline ring. I have a feeling it will be right up your alley.

It would be for everyday.

2-3 carats

ring

Hopefully with this setting:

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/leon-mege-and-antique-cushion.42904/page-3']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/leon-mege-and-antique-cushion.42904/page-3[/URL]

LM-side.JPG

IMG_0005e.JPG

aubiedoll

Rough_Rock
This is the shade of pink I'm looking for.

r1340c.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There was someone, I think Lamborghinigirl, who had a very light peachy pink tourmaline cut by Gene of precisiongem.com. While tourmaline isn't a high RI gem, he did cut it very well to give it added sparkle. Like you, I believe she also wanted to emulate a peachy pink diamond. Does anyone remember the thread?

aubiedoll

Rough_Rock
tourmaline_lover|1299470318|2866408 said:
There was someone, I think Lamborghinigirl, who had a very light peachy pink tourmaline cut by Gene of precisiongem.com. While tourmaline isn't a high RI gem, he did cut it very well to give it added sparkle. Like you, I believe she also wanted to emulate a peachy pink diamond. Does anyone remember the thread?

I think it's the post that Frekechild posted above, no?

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Being a bit of salmon-pink fan myself, let's see what I can find for you. Can you let me know if I've got your criteria right:

Approx $500
2-3 cts (do you have an idea of the dimensions in mm you are looking for?)
Shape: prefer cushion (square or elongated??)

This one jumps out at me and although it isn't a cushion, you could fit this into a cushion halo quite nicely. There are one or two examples of RBs in cushion halos kicking about on here.

http://www.bestcutgems.com/product/IT-1123

I'll see what else I can come up with.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
aubiedoll|1299471017|2866414 said:

Yes, that's it.

Maybe Gene has more material. He just got back from Tuscon, so now would be a good time to ask.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Light pink round spinel in cushion-y shaped halo. Beverly K.

IMG_8379 freke.jpg

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Best Cut also has a couple light pink tourmalines.

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
It's another round I'm afraid and it's a bit small, but if the colour is as it appears in the photo, I'll bet this is a stunning stone. Incidentally, it you look at John's main garnet page, the stone on the front of the Malaya garnet section belongs to me. Occasionally, in the right light it can look similar to what you see in the photo.

http://www.gemrite.com/cubecart/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=159

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Great advice given so far. :appl: Can only add it seems it might be easier to get a custom-cut stone? More likely to have brilliant sparkle and make the most of that pale pink colour than native cut which can be windowed and washed out looking. Keep us posted on your progress! :wavey:

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wouldn't we all like to replicate that ring! I've wanted that ring forever - David has such great taste and that pink diamond is awesome.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
tourmaline_lover|1299473232|2866439 said:
aubiedoll|1299471017|2866414 said:

Yes, that's it.

Maybe Gene has more material. He just got back from Tuscon, so now would be a good time to ask.

I checked Gene's blog, and saw some large pastel pieces of Afghan tourmaline rough in that light toned peach pink color. You may want to check them out, and Gene can really make it sparkle.

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Ahh, a pale pink/peachy tourmaline is a wonderful thing, as I can attest to. If Gene has some, I doubt you will be disappointed. Below is a montage of my own stone.

If you are going to consider getting a custom cut stone, then two other people I suggest you consider are Peter Torraca and Lisa Elser. Both these wonderful people had a hand in the stone below. On this occasion, Lisa supplied the rough and Peter cut the stone.

http://www.torraca.net/gems/
http://www.lisaelser.com/index.html

Lisa and Peter's websites are more galleries than on-line shopping facilities. It is worth asking what they have in their good boxes. It is also worth asking to be put on their mailing lists so you can receive live updates of available stones.

Because Pricescope now allows us to upload more than one picture at a time, I am also including a couple of shots of my morganites, which I am pleased to announce were custom set in 19K white gold as earring charms (photo courtesey of my good friend Canuk-Gal).

PT tourmaline montage 06.jpg

Gailey ears morganite ear shot.jpg

Morganite pears 01 05.JPG

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is the possibility of danburite doable for you? It can be a light peachy pink with a nice high RI and is very inexpensive.

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Hey Chrono, have you seen any light pink/peachy danburite for sale lately? I think I've only seen one piece ever. I'd sure as heck like to find some more.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have not been actively looking around so unfortunately, I’m sorry to say I have not seen any.

aubiedoll

Rough_Rock
I just sent an email to Gene!! We'll see what he comes back with. :D

aubiedoll

Rough_Rock
Gailey - very, very pretty morganite and tourmaline. I love the earrings!! What did you end up doing with the tourmaline?

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Gailey|1299513513|2866612 said:
Ahh, a pale pink/peachy tourmaline is a wonderful thing, as I can attest to. If Gene has some, I doubt you will be disappointed. Below is a montage of my own stone.

If you are going to consider getting a custom cut stone, then two other people I suggest you consider are Peter Torraca and Lisa Elser. Both these wonderful people had a hand in the stone below. On this occasion, Lisa supplied the rough and Peter cut the stone.

http://www.torraca.net/gems/
http://www.lisaelser.com/index.html

Lisa and Peter's websites are more galleries than on-line shopping facilities. It is worth asking what they have in their good boxes. It is also worth asking to be put on their mailing lists so you can receive live updates of available stones.

Because Pricescope now allows us to upload more than one picture at a time, I am also including a couple of shots of my morganites, which I am pleased to announce were custom set in 19K white gold as earring charms (photo courtesey of my good friend Canuk-Gal).
Gailey - Just dropping by to say again how much I love those Morganite pears. :love: :love: :love:

aubiedoll - I hope Gene has the material to cut your dream stone for you. His cutting is superb.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results