shape
carat
color
clarity

Newbie Here: Need Help - $1000 Budget Engagement Ring

matt235

Rough_Rock
Hey all,

Great forum, just joined. I'm a complete newbie in the diamond/jewelry world. I spent some time today reading over the information here to start educating myself.

I'm looking to purchase an engagement ring for my girlfriend, but our budget is tight. I'd like to find something under $1,000 but would be comfortable with spending that amount.

I just don't really know where to begin looking! What's going to be my best bet on our low budget? I'm assuming I can find a much better bargain online than I could locally in a retail store. Either way, I'm hoping you guys can give me some direction here.

We were on ebay last night just looking at different styles and this is one she really liked -

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-02-CT-ROUND-CUT-NATURAL-DIAMOND-HALO-ENGAGEMENT-RING-14K-WHITE-GOLD-/181357841037?pt=Diamond_Solitaire_Rings&hash=item2a39c50a8d

What I know about what she's likes -
1) white gold
2) round diamond
3) she's likes the halo style

All advice is appreciated!!!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi Matt, welcome! You have a few options with your budget -- which is the same as my husband's budget was when we got engaged :))

1) if you can find a second hand ring from a reputable source, you will get the most bang for your buck. I do not recommend you buy on ebay and a noob. But there are a few places where you can look safely with some guidance from people here on PS, if you are interested in that route.

2) If you want new, then I think a solitaire with about a .30ct diamond is in your budget. The halo styles you like tend to be pricey :blackeye: Are you okay, or your GF okay, with the idea of buying a solitaire now and putting most money into the diamond, then getting a new halo setting for a later anniversary?

3) Another option is this line of rings from James Allen, they are preset and have a nice halo. It's not a look for everyone, you either love it or hate it, because it is sort of an illusion look:

http://www.jamesallen.com/preset-engagement-rings/royal-halo/james-allen-classic-cupcake-engagement-ring-item-36157

4) Finally, colored gemstones are often less than diamonds and you can get a pretty gem in a halo mounting in your budget, though the mounting would not be great quality. You could luck out and find something second hand.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

matt235

Rough_Rock
Hey Dreamer,

Thanks for the quick response!

1) I haven't given much thought to the second hand option, but would be willing to do so. One thing I have going for me is that my girlfriend is not very picky or the high maintenance type. She will be ecstatic with the proposal itself regardless of the ring. I believe she would be open to this option.

2) This option would work too. (see above)

3) Hmm, don't know if I've seen that before. Not too excited about it though.

4) Could be an option, but I'm leaning towards options 1 and 2.

Of course I can talk to her more about these options tonight, but like I said I'm leaning towards 1 or 2.

matt235

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the other replies. All beautiful rings.

I know she does not like any of the square shaped diamonds. She definitely wants the round look.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
msop04|1395520802|3639516 said:
Dreamer_D|1395519415|3639499 said:
3) Another option is this line of rings from James Allen, they are preset and have a nice halo. It's not a look for everyone, you either love it or hate it, because it is sort of an illusion look:

http://www.jamesallen.com/preset-engagement-rings/royal-halo/james-allen-classic-cupcake-engagement-ring-item-36157

This ring looks rather nice... I like the band a lot.

+2 I have also recommended these to people with this budget.

matt235

Rough_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1395520976|3639519 said:
msop04|1395520802|3639516 said:
Dreamer_D|1395519415|3639499 said:

This ring looks rather nice... I like the band a lot.

+2 I have also recommended these to people with this budget.

Out of all the links posted so far, I like this the best - http://loupetroop.com/listings/ring...tique-rose-cut-diamond-engraved-platinum-ring

I think I'm gonna have the girlfriend take a look at some of these links tonight and see what she thinks. We've already been talking and looking so it's not a huge secret :)

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You should be aware that two of the options identified are rose cut diamonds - they're flat rather than facetted on the bottom, and they usually have a very different facet pattern on the top. To me they look like a geodesic dome cut in half. I haven't had the chance to play with them in real life, so I can't tell you anything about how the performance of a rose cut diamond would differ from a more standard round brilliant or old european cut... but I'll bet somebody here could! :wink2: That said, I love the look of that yellow gold .45 ct rose cut ring!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
I didn't see your thread and I found some awesome eBay options too. Will relook and share.

LUNAJEWELS

Rough_Rock

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
LUNAJEWELS|1395540215|3639663 said:
Gia platinum blue nile wedding set. With an E Vs2 marquise:

http://m.ebay.com/itm/171275852828?nav=SEARCH

Also beautiful wedding set:

http://m.ebay.com/itm/301126758387?nav=SEARCH

BEST deal:
http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamonds/diamond-details/0.333-e-vs2-round-diamond-ags-c-104063262148

Put 1000.00 in preselected engagement ring you get this and setting for 1085.00

brians diamonds are beautiful :)

The second listing is Clarity Enhanced. :nono: :-o :nono:

rockhoundofficiando

Shiny_Rock
Am a firm believer that you get what you pay for. That diamond ring on Ebay is clarity enhanced. Ie, it was a much worse diamond that has had it's inclusions drilled and filled. Kudos to the seller for disclosure, that's not always the case. In brief, clarity enhanced diamonds are worth much less than natural diamonds, the treatment is not always permanent and they require some special care. The GIA will not grade them as diamonds once they have this treatment. Do a search here for more info on clarity enhancement and the associated issues.

The James Allen halo looks like a nice option for a few hundred more, although the center diamond is quite small. Could not find what carat weight was for the center alone. Another option is to get a solitaire round diamond and put it in a "presentation" setting $180 (white gold 4 prong)--James Allen site within your budget, you can get a .30-.31 carat diamond ($800), and upgrade to a halo setting for an anniversary, once budget allows. Of course there are other esteemed vendors as well-look around here. A third option is of course buying used, which as someone else pointed out, will typically give you the most bang for your buck.

matt235

Rough_Rock
rockhoundofficiando|1395586497|3639818 said:
Am a firm believer that you get what you pay for. That diamond ring on Ebay is clarity enhanced. Ie, it was a much worse diamond that has had it's inclusions drilled and filled. Kudos to the seller for disclosure, that's not always the case. In brief, clarity enhanced diamonds are worth much less than natural diamonds, the treatment is not always permanent and they require some special care. The GIA will not grade them as diamonds once they have this treatment. Do a search here for more info on clarity enhancement and the associated issues.

The James Allen halo looks like a nice option for a few hundred more, although the center diamond is quite small. Could not find what carat weight was for the center alone. Another option is to get a solitaire round diamond and put it in a "presentation" setting $180 (white gold 4 prong)--James Allen site within your budget, you can get a .30-.31 carat diamond ($800), and upgrade to a halo setting for an anniversary, once budget allows. Of course there are other esteemed vendors as well-look around here. A third option is of course buying used, which as someone else pointed out, will typically give you the most bang for your buck.

Hey Rock,

Thank you, and everybody else too, for the advice. I did not know what "clarity enhanced" meant, so thanks for explaining that and I will read more on it. Whenever I'm spending money, quality is always high priority, so your post has me leaning away from anything like that. I'd rather purchase a better diamond with a less expensive setting and upgrade at a later date, as many have suggested.

So, here's what I'm thinking today. It's a little more, but I really like this engraved solitaire setting that someone posted http://www.orospot.com/product/r108...te-gold-engagement-ring-mounting-setting.aspx. The diamond that they posted with it is a .5 carat though and puts me quite a bit over budget. Someone else posted this .33 carat diamond which looks very nice http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/d.../0.333-e-vs2-round-diamond-ags-c-104063262148. I'm leaning towards putting something like that together - the engraved solitaire setting and the .33 carat diamond. This exact combo would still put me over budget, but I'm interested to see if I can make something like this work. At the very least, I could go with a less expensive setting.

Questions:

1) This is kind of relative, but do you think a .33c diamond is big enough/would look well in that setting?

2) As far as getting the diamond placed into the setting, how do I go about doing that? What's my best option? What's the additional cost of this part of the process?

Merefrank

Rough_Rock
Quick note in case you didn't see it, but the Orospot setting will cost $300 more if they custom it to your own stone. It's lovely but it's mostly engraving and not sparkly diamonds. There is another thread here where someone is looking for an emerald in a halo setting for $2,500 or less and there are lot's of creative suggestions there, including some e-bay buys that fit YOUR budget !

( I got lucky on e-bay, while also shopping smart thanks to PS, and have a custom made half carat princess center with graduated side stones AND a five stone wedding band that together deliver incredible bling for under $1000 so it CAN be done !)

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I really like the option of a gorgeous RB solitaire in the .30ct range :love: It will look great and it is a VERY nice size for most couples when they get engaged. It is large enough to sparkle and look lovely. I know a number of women with solitaires in that size.

Your best best it so show that link from Orospot to your vendor and ask them if they can get something similar for you. There are many castimg companies out there.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results