color
clarity

Newbie Here: Need Help - $1000 Budget Engagement Ring

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dreamer_D|1395622164|3640128 said:
matt235|1395620930|3640114 said:
After talking more with the girlfriend, I'm still leaning towards this Blue Nile one.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Blue-Nile-P...-0-34ct-Round-Diamond-GIA-D-SI1-/171271671362

It would be nice to get a larger diamond, but it's difficult to get the biggest and best with a $1000 budget.

I considered purchasing the best diamond I could and having it set on an inexpensive basic ring, but she would rather I sacrifice some on the diamond and have the mounting with some additional small stones.

I know she would really like the look of the ring posted above, and I feel the quality of the diamond will exceed our expectations.

I'm really considering picking it up and at least checking it out in person.

We've been together for over 6 years now and I've always had a good eye for what she would like. I have a good feeling about this ring.

I am not sure this is the best value for you. First, you do not NEED a D color diamond, so the savings on a second hand D stone are not really savings because you are still paying more than you could for a second hand piece. I am also not sure you should resize that style of mount. Also, the head on that mount is not very nice. I think for under $1000 you would get close to the same with another vendor, like ID Jewelry, who carries high quality stick mounts and you would not have the risk of ebay.

You're right he doesn't need a D but this is a fair price even with the high color. And i don't think there is much wrong with the head on that, personally, better than say what he could get from Ja. The cheapest JA diamond setting is 550 and is frankly much cheaper looking.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Niel|1395622886|3640137 said:
matt235|1395620930|3640114 said:
After talking more with the girlfriend, I'm still leaning towards this Blue Nile one.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Blue-Nile-P...-0-34ct-Round-Diamond-GIA-D-SI1-/171271671362

It would be nice to get a larger diamond, but it's difficult to get the biggest and best with a $1000 budget.

I considered purchasing the best diamond I could and having it set on an inexpensive basic ring, but she would rather I sacrifice some on the diamond and have the mounting with some additional small stones.

I know she would really like the look of the ring posted above, and I feel the quality of the diamond will exceed our expectations.

I'm really considering picking it up and at least checking it out in person.

We've been together for over 6 years now and I've always had a good eye for what she would like. I have a good feeling about this ring.

I am not sure this is the best value for you. First, you do not NEED a D color diamond, so the savings on a second hand D stone are not really savings because you are still paying more than you could for a second hand piece. I am also not sure you should resize that style of mount. Also, the head on that mount is not very nice. I think for under $1000 you would get close to the same with another vendor, like ID Jewelry, who carries high quality stick mounts and you would not have the risk of ebay.

You're right he doesn't need a D but this is a fair price even with the high color. And i don't think there is much wrong with the head on that, personally, better than say what he could get from Ja. The cheapest JA diamond setting is 550 and is frankly much cheaper looking.

Yes, I also looked at mounts and JA doesn't have anything nice. I am more concerned about resizing, and also him buying from ebay when he is new at it. There is always the chance of a problem with ebay and it could really spoil the process for he and his girlfriend.

matt235

Rough_Rock

EDIT:

Made a mistake. I called Blue Nile to ask them about resizing the ring but accidentally gave the person the wrong stock number to look at the first time. So I called back and asked them about the correct ring. He said it depends on what size the ring started as. He said they generally sell them stock as a size 4, 5, 6, 7 so the ring may have started as a 5 or a 6. He said if it started as a 5 then it won't resize all the way up to 6.5. If it started as a 6 and the original owner sized down to 5.5, then he said no problem, it can be resized to 6.5.

Hm. I wonder if the ebay seller would know this information or not.

matt235

Rough_Rock
The seller responded to my questions and says the fluor has no effect. GIA does come with purchase. He does not know the original size of the ring.

My main concern at this point is the resizing. I didn't tell the seller what I would need it resized to, but he said he would be willing to have his jeweler resize it without charging extra.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
matt235|1395625847|3640170 said:
The seller responded to my questions and says the fluor has no effect. GIA does come with purchase. He does not know the original size of the ring.

My main concern at this point is the resizing. I didn't tell the seller what I would need it resized to, but he said he would be willing to have his jeweler resize it without charging extra.
Would they still honor the return period if they sized it for you?

matt235

Rough_Rock
Niel|1395626660|3640179 said:

He said yes he will honor the return period.

He said that if I did decide to return it, he would keep the cost of the resizing, "probably around 60 or 70".

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
matt235|1395629365|3640197 said:
Niel|1395626660|3640179 said:

He said yes he will honor the return period.

He said that if I did decide to return it, he would keep the cost of the resizing, "probably around 60 or 70".

The problem with resizing a mount like that would be the changes roundness loosening the pave. That is not something you would notice immediately, and if the seller does it and it falls apart later you are probably SOL. In this case, if you want to check the ring out, I recommend you buy it as it is, and then take it to the highest quality local person you have to consult about resizing. If they think they can do it, ask if they will warranty their work -- like, if stones fall out more than normal wear and tear, will they do it. The mount on this ring is a big part of the savings here, so if it gets messed up then that would suck! So this extra leg work I am recommending may be worth it.

matt235

Rough_Rock
Dreamer_D|1395631105|3640212 said:
The problem with resizing a mount like that would be the changes roundness loosening the pave. That is not something you would notice immediately, and if the seller does it and it falls apart later you are probably SOL. In this case, if you want to check the ring out, I recommend you buy it as it is, and then take it to the highest quality local person you have to consult about resizing. If they think they can do it, ask if they will warranty their work -- like, if stones fall out more than normal wear and tear, will they do it. The mount on this ring is a big part of the savings here, so if it gets messed up then that would suck! So this extra leg work I am recommending may be worth it.

Well, I pulled the trigger and purchased it! I did take your advice though and am purchasing it as is and will take it to a jeweler myself to consult about resizing. Worst case scenario, I will return it for a refund. I'll let everyone know when it comes in and how it looks.

Thanks again!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
matt235|1395633042|3640231 said:

Well, I pulled the trigger and purchased it! I did take your advice though and am purchasing it as is and will take it to a jeweler myself to consult about resizing. Worst case scenario, I will return it for a refund. I'll let everyone know when it comes in and how it looks.

Thanks again!

Can't wait to see it!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dreamer_D|1395634019|3640238 said:

Thanks again!

Can't wait to see it!

That's great! Im glad you're going in with the idea it may get returned. Its nice not to get your hopes up juuuust in case. I cant wait to see. Plus they ship quick so you should have it soon. Like I say, make sure to look at it in the sunlight too. It'll make it look bluer in the sunlight due to the fluor. That's normal and I think pretty cool, just want to make sure it doesn't look milky or anything.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Niel|1395662648|3640320 said:

Thanks again!

Can't wait to see it!

That's great! Im glad you're going in with the idea it may get returned. Its nice not to get your hopes up juuuust in case. I cant wait to see. Plus they ship quick so you should have it soon. Like I say, make sure to look at it in the sunlight too. It'll make it look bluer in the sunlight due to the fluor. That's normal and I think pretty cool, just want to make sure it doesn't look milky or anything.

In addition, make an appointment with a reputable local appraiser -- ideally who does not sell diamonds and jewelery him or herself -- who can confirm the diamond matched the lab report and can confirm the fluor is not an issue (most likely its not).

matt235

Rough_Rock
Dreamer_D|1395686531|3640507 said:

Thanks again!

Can't wait to see it!

In addition, make an appointment with a reputable local appraiser -- ideally who does not sell diamonds and jewelery him or herself -- who can confirm the diamond matched the lab report and can confirm the fluor is not an issue (most likely its not).

Sounds good. I will take both of your advice. Thanks again!

It will be here tomorrow so we'll see!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
matt235 said:
Dreamer_D|1395686531|3640507 said:

Thanks again!

Can't wait to see it!

Sounds good. I will take both of your advice. Thanks again!

It will be here tomorrow so we'll see!

Exciting. Does she know this is the one you picked or are you keeping a bit of surprise??

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Also do post pics if you like it I'm interested to see :)

matt235

Rough_Rock
Niel|1395709612|3640729 said:
Exciting. Does she know this is the one you picked or are you keeping a bit of surprise??

Surprise. She hadn't seen that one and she doesn't know I bought anything.

It looks like it won't be coming until tomorrow though. The tracking originally said it was expected today, but now shows tomorrow's date.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh yay I'm glad its a surprise its nice when you get to know exactly what she likes yet still get to have an element of unknown for the big day.

Rats that's too bad it didn't deliver. I'd be off running to fed ex to pick it up but then again I have a problem haha :devil:

matt235

Rough_Rock
Niel|1395778359|3641183 said:
Oh yay I'm glad its a surprise its nice when you get to know exactly what she likes yet still get to have an element of unknown for the big day.

Rats that's too bad it didn't deliver. I'd be off running to fed ex to pick it up but then again I have a problem haha :devil:

Lol I wanted to go pick it up yesterday but it didn't even arrive in Illinois until this morning. I got it today though!

I'm very happy with it! It's beautiful. Looks brand new. I inspected the heck out of it and even in the natural sunlight the diamond doesn't show any cloudiness. It does seem like there's a *slight* tint of blue sometimes (I only noticed it in the natural sunlight) but it looks gorgeous.

I took it in to a reputable jeweler today, and although I didn't exactly have it appraised, I had the jeweler take a look at it as well as the GIA certificate. She verified that the diamond matches the certificate and is exactly what it's supposed to be. I also asked for her opinion on resizing the ring and she confidently said she can do it.

The plan at this point is to propose with the ring as is and resize after the fact. My girlfriend says she needs 6.5 but I know she's not positive. I don't want to run the risk of resizing now and end up having to do it AGAIN. So that's the plan.

I'd like to post up pics, but bare with me.. I don't have a smart phone right now or a camera. I won't have a good time to mess with the girlfriends camera tonight. I promise I'll get pics up in the near future.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh that's fantastic! I've been wondering about your ring all day. I'm glad everything worked out. It being blue in the sun is exactly what you'd expect with a stone with that kind of fluor.

Don't chance her seeing it before you propose so yes wait to take some pics, but I deff post some pics when you propose!

Congrations

toaster

Rough_Rock
Just found this thread and read through every post!

CONGRATULATIONS and I'm excited to see pics of the ring and hear the new fiance's reaction!!!!

(Are you going to buy the matching band from blue nile?)

Natylad

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just wanted to say that i've been following this thread from the beginning with excitement! It's so great to see how somebody with a modest budget can end up getting a gorgeous ring, of excellent quality, with the precious help of the fellow pricescopers :appl: :appl: :appl:
Congratulations on the beautiful ring and on your upcoming engagement :appl: I'm sure your fiancee will lovw the ring! Please post pictures as soon as possible, i just can't wait!!!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
That is great news! A great happy ending.

Am I correct that the ring is presently (most likely) too small for her? I wonder if there is a way to find out her size before the proposal... it is sad when you get engaged and then cannot show off the ring because you can't wear it :blackeye:

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
That is a beautiful little ring. You could always take her to a mall and "Oh look...lets drop into the maul jewelry store" and get her sized. I love that ring - VERY pretty!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
moneymeister|1396005934|3642797 said:
That is a beautiful little ring. You could always take her to a mall and "Oh look...lets drop into the maul jewelry store" and get her sized. I love that ring - VERY pretty!

Good idea, sense the OP said they have been looking together.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results