shape
carat
color
clarity

New to coloured gemstone buying? Read this first!

Discussion in 'Colored Gemstones' started by LD, Apr 15, 2012.

1. SPSGuy
    Rough_Rock

by SPSGuy » Sep 10, 2014
    Excellent post, the detail of purchasing a stone boggles the mind.

2. cutratediamonds
    Rough_Rock
    Trade

by cutratediamonds » Nov 11, 2014
    Very good post..!! Helpful for the newbies.. :)

3. Trademan14
    Rough_Rock

by Trademan14 » Dec 1, 2014
    Wow!!! Very helpful, thank you so much for this informative post!!!

4. amazingAkj
    Rough_Rock

by amazingAkj » May 22, 2015
    Hey chrono, can you post pictures of whatever you have mention in your post so that it will be easy to recognize?

5. chrono
    Super_Ideal_Rock

by chrono » May 22, 2015
    Can you please be more specific? I've posted a lot of things. :lol: I do try to post links to studies/papers wherever possible.

6. Abzurd
    Rough_Rock

by Abzurd » May 23, 2015
    Hi, I'm new to the world of coloured stones. During recent travels been exposed to tourmaline and emerald and decided I will learn and maybe create opportunity out of what has presented itself to me... Learnt a fair bit already in a short space of time...

7. LD
    Ideal_Rock

by LD » Jun 12, 2015
    Abzurd - I'm glad to hear that you're enjoying the learning. Actually you'll find that won't stop because there's always new things to learn (especially about treatments) to keep us on our toes! We can't relax! :)

8. chrono
    Super_Ideal_Rock

by chrono » Jul 23, 2015
    Gem lab listing

USA
    AGL is the top choice.
    GIA is also good.

Europe
    SSEF, Gubelin and GIA are the top choices.
    Chris Dunaigre, GGTL and GRS are also good.

Asia
    SSEF, Gubelin (mobile lab), Lotus Gemology and GIA are top choices.
    For all else, as long as they aren't corundum (sapphire or ruby) which requires better equipment = AIGS, GIT, Burapha, Tokyo Gem Lab, Emil Gem Lab, Nanyang Gem Institute

9. userangl28212003
    Shiny_Rock

by userangl28212003 » Jul 23, 2015
    Doesn't AIGS have better equiptment now for testing rubies and sapphires?

10. Niel
    Super_Ideal_Rock

by Niel » Jan 9, 2016
    I see grs used more than I used to. Is it just that it's uncommon in the US? Or is it really better outside the US than in?

11. Johndev478
    Rough_Rock

by Johndev478 » Jan 24, 2016
    Wow, what an informative post. Really helpful for those who are new to buy gemstones. Much more important things are described here. I bought amber stones from "Drfinejewels.com",which is a good wholesaler company registered in the Dominican Republic. There you can find all type and color of stone. Thanks a lot.........

12. garyhsu
    Rough_Rock

by garyhsu » Jan 28, 2016
    Fabulous post.

Loved it!

Thanks,
    :angel:

13. LisaRN
    Ideal_Rock

by LisaRN » Feb 3, 2016
    Great Post! I would like to add some red flags that need to be investigated by potential buyers.

1. Any color described as "deep". May actually mean "very dark."
    2. Any seller who does not fully answer your question. For example you ask "Does this spinel black out in sunlight?" They respond with "The spinel looks best under artificial light as most spinels do but I think you will will love this stone." If they do not answer your question then consider this a red flag.
    3. "Sleepy" stones. This is usually used to describe a stone with micro inclusions that will "glow" under sunlight. However, if a stone is sleepy and not well saturated it may be a lackluster stone in sunlight. Ask for photos under multiple lighting conditions and make sure the seller has a return policy.
    4. A great return policy does not mean a true representation of a stones by a vendor. For example- many pics and videos can be manipulated to show the stone at it's best. A seller can gain great feedback because they have a good return policy when the buyer is relieved that their return was accepted. If you get burned once (for example your pink or blue stone turned out to be grey) please be kind enough to give honest feedback.

USCgal likes this.
  14. AandCGemTradingCorp
    Rough_Rock
    Trade

by AandCGemTradingCorp » Mar 6, 2016
    Wow! Being new to this forum, I found this to be the most complete and sage advice that anyone could read! I would only add one more piece of advice, to trust your own instinct- both about what you are looking at and who you are dealing with- your instincts, combined with this wonderful advice, should bring you to happy conclusions in a most difficult arena!

15. Nicolette
    Rough_Rock

by Nicolette » Mar 29, 2016
    I'm also new. After reading the whole thread filled with great advice, I'm not sure I want to jump into 'any' stone now :read: I think I'm going to continue searching and comparing for a bit longer. Thank you.

16. chrono
    Super_Ideal_Rock

17. chrono
    Super_Ideal_Rock

18. Lily-love-gems
    Rough_Rock

19. Razz
    Rough_Rock

by Razz » Oct 29, 2016
    Another big thank you from another newbie here. I used to shy away from purchasing colored stones, but now I feel a little more confident in taking the leap into the technicolor world. Thanks for the helpful information.

20. DeNice67
    Rough_Rock

by DeNice67 » Feb 7, 2017
    wow Thank you! So much information, I am almost overwhelmed :clap: Thank you all. Its awesome to find a place like this where we can learn before we buy. I am looking at buying a Spinel, I love them! I am learning a lot but if there are direct tips to give me before I purchase my dream stone. I would appreciate it. I am learning to look by mm size instead of ct size. Correct? They seem to be bottom heavy? I attached the color....... no one in the stores in St. Louis suggests I buy one, and I don't know why also the fact that they don't carry them anywhere in my area, means I need to order. That is scary. But I am researching my butt off. Input?

peachish_pink_med_light.png

21. DeNice67
    Rough_Rock

by DeNice67 » Feb 7, 2017
    ok I found another forum from 2012 that had a lot of answers. I searched "Spinel" and I found a lot of info. I am new here, and didn't know how to do that. You guys are probably sick of Spinel questions. :)

22. minousbijoux
    Super_Ideal_Rock

by minousbijoux » Feb 7, 2017
    DeNice, it would be best for you to start your own thread if you want people to see your questions and respond. :))

23. catsareawesome
    Rough_Rock

by catsareawesome » Apr 4, 2017
    Hello. New kid on the block here...thank you very much for the lovely information, I certainly learned a lot! I've always been attracted to "pretty rocks" when I was a lass, then got into jewellery making, much to the delight of my teenaged daughter. I'm learning a lot along the way and want to learn more about coloured gemstones and have so many questions, will keep reading...and learning :))

strawrose likes this.
  24. Gems Smith
    Rough_Rock
    Trade

by Gems Smith » Nov 30, 2017
    Hello,
    Great information you have shared here. Thanks for this.

25. unsettled
    Shiny_Rock

by unsettled » Dec 2, 2017
    What great (albeit overwhelming) information!