shape
carat
color
clarity

New CBI E SI2 available!

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
HOW is this stone even still available? I cannot believe no one's snatched it up.

If my wife's band wasn't so custom it'd already be gone. Unfortunately very little room to go above 6.20mm without a new setting or re-design. Would love to get her an E color since she sees tint so easily, although she says it doesn't bother her.

Eventually the timing will work out though. Is it a tad weird I want to upgrade HER diamond? :lol:

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If my wife's band wasn't so custom it'd already be gone. Unfortunately very little room to go above 6.20mm without a new setting or re-design. Would love to get her an E color since she sees tint so easily, although she says it doesn't bother her.

Eventually the timing will work out though. Is it a tad weird I want to upgrade HER diamond? :lol:

That's one of the reasons that I traded in my 2.21 F-SI1 for a 2.18 E-VS1 CBI. The new diamond is .01mm smaller than the old one. It fit perfectly in HPD Triologie. General guidelines are that diamonds within .20mm can be set in the same head.

Wewechew

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I traded in my 2.21 F-SI1 for a 2.18 E-VS1 CBI.
Off topic, but do you notice a difference in color between your previous F and current E?

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Off topic, but do you notice a difference in color between your previous F and current E?

Never compared them side by side for obvious reasons. But there is a very slight difference in tint between my 2.18 E-VS1 and 2.79 F-VS1, not a fair comparison while mounted, but I did compare them on a white diamond sorting tray under north daylight.

Wewechew

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@cflutist so is it safe to say upgrading to the E was more for mind clean reasons?

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@cflutist so is it safe to say upgrading to the E was more for mind clean reasons?

Yes definitely. If a F-VS1 in that size was available, then sure as the side stones are both .53 F VS1/2 also within .01mm of each other with same CA and PAs. Pretty darn close if you ask me.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes definitely. If a F-VS1 in that size was available, then sure as the side stones are both .53 F VS1/2 also within .01mm of each other with same CA and PAs. Pretty darn close if you ask me.

@Wewechew and @cflutist -

Just to lob in on your convo - I just upgraded my sides from G VS2 and G SI1 to 2 x F VS1. I can definitely see the difference. I'm going back and forth on upgrading the center stone, but it would cost me 18k for a stone of exactly the same diameter, to go from VS2 to VS1 - still both F color. Seems a bit like a waste of money, tho the mind clean thing continues to bug me. But my F is a nice white F and goes beautifully with my new sides, so I'm thinking perhaps I should just leave well enough alone. Even tho some say that sides, being smaller, face up whiter, I think you can still see the difference if the grades aren't the same (assuming they're well and accurately graded), but I also think you need to be careful to get a center stone on the white side of its color range, if you want it to match its sides. For example, had my F center been on the G side of F, you'd definitely see the color diff with the sides. As it is, tho, the match is beautiful and an improvement over the previous G sides.

Wewechew

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Just to lob in on your convo - I just upgraded my sides from G VS2 and G SI1 to 2 x F VS1. I can definitely see the difference. I'm going back and forth on upgrading the center stone, but it would cost me 18k for a stone of exactly the same diameter, to go from VS2 to VS1 - still both F color. Seems a bit like a waste of money, tho the mind clean thing continues to bug me. But my F is a nice white F and goes beautifully with my new sides, so I'm thinking perhaps I should just leave well enough alone....
Could you see the color difference between your main stone and the two side G's? Or was it a mind clean issue?

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Could you see the color difference between your main stone and the two side G's? Or was it a mind clean issue?

Sorry @Wewechew - I hit enter too soon. I've since added a fair bit to the original post, so you'll see my thoughts on it there. But, yes, I could see the difference, tho it was very faint and most people would neither see it, nor care even if they could.

Wewechew

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry @Wewechew - I hit enter too soon. I've since added a fair bit to the original post, so you'll see my thoughts on it there. But, yes, I could see the difference, tho it was very faint and most people would neither see it, nor care even if they could.
Thanks for the head up that you added more after you first hit "post" =)2.

I think you can still see the difference if the grades aren't the same (assuming they're well and accurately graded), but I also think you need to be careful to get a center stone on the white side of its color range, if you want it to match its sides. For example, had my F center been on the G side of F, you'd definitely see the color diff with the sides.
See, this is exactly what I'm afraid of as I start to dip my toe into finding side stones :sick:

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's one of the reasons that I traded in my 2.21 F-SI1 for a 2.18 E-VS1 CBI. The new diamond is .01mm smaller than the old one. It fit perfectly in HPD Triologie. General guidelines are that diamonds within .20mm can be set in the same head.

Good info. Thank you for sharing.

As you may recall, my wife's setting had those swoops/curves that wrapped up to create a halo effect. When designing with DK, the exact measurements of the BGD stone was utilized. Additionally I was picky about getting an "air line" between the stone and swoops. So there is very little play without changing design aesthetics. TBH, not even sure I have 0.20mm. I'd need to confirm with DK.

One of my concerns when doing the design was she initially wanted it higher than most people recommend here. There is some (minor) slack that we can adjust down when/if the time comes. The problem is as you make vertical changes it affects other elements because of her design.

She has banged it around like a bull in a china shop. In fact we need to send back to DK as it appears she damaged another prong. She even commented how she wished it was lower. So it may be time to lower it a bit, which I'm concerned will make an already tight space a little tighter.

Just wanted to say, I really like the way you think and your gorgeous stones. High color and clarity, near identical proportions, etc. You are detailed and like quality and I appreciate that. Not that I have a problem with lower clarity or colors, but you know what you like and understand it comes at a premium and will either make the pertinent sacrifices or adjust your budget to make it happen.

It's refreshing and rare. Most people seem to chase bigger and cheaper, and somehow forgot about "value" and that it doesn't always mean the low buck. :cool2:

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Just wanted to say, I really like the way you think and your gorgeous stones. High color and clarity, near identical proportions, etc. You are detailed and like quality and I appreciate that. Not that I have a problem with lower clarity or colors, but you know what you like and understand it comes at a premium and will either make the pertinent sacrifices or adjust your budget to make it happen.

It's refreshing and rare. Most people seem to chase bigger and cheaper, and somehow forgot about "value" and that it doesn't always mean the low buck. :cool2:

Why thank you. We are all different but I prefer quality within reason over quantity.
I am a little anal retentive being a retired software engineer.

headlight

Ideal_Rock
Really? I thought some are if within commonly requested specs (like 1-2ct g). I know mine wasn't bc no one else wants a 1ct N lol
... until they see your beautiful N!

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
... until they see your beautiful N!
N s are as beautiful as Wink's Papa and my 2.31 Q-VVS2, that diamond was a steal at the same price as what we paid for my .80 Fancy Yellow from Tiffany, that stupid blue box, lol.

Wewechew

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Were you able to find your side stones at the same time? Or did you have to buy one, and then wait for another one with your angles to come in stock?

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Never compared them side by side for obvious reasons. But there is a very slight difference in tint between my 2.18 E-VS1 and 2.79 F-VS1, not a fair comparison while mounted, but I did compare them on a white diamond sorting tray under north daylight.
I'm still dreaming about the proportions of your 2.18ct. :love:

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Were you able to find your side stones at the same time? Or did you have to buy one, and then wait for another one with your angles to come in stock?

As I recall there were 4 side stones that were available. I picked the two that matched the best, and called Wink at 10 PM to put them on hold, like everything else online you strike when the iron is hot, a split second layer someone else could have reserved your desired suite on the cruise ship.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
She has banged it around like a bull in a china shop. In fact we need to send back to DK as it appears she damaged another prong. She even commented how she wished it was lower. So it may be time to lower it a bit, which I'm concerned will make an already tight space a little tighter.

Well tell her to stop flaunting that beauty around in everyone’s face like that and banging it up! :lol: Seriously though, I remember your journey to create your wife’s beautiful ring like it was yesterday. Design aside, I think what really makes it truly beautiful is how much love, thought, time, effort, and care you and DK put into making sure every single detail of it was not even one millimeter short of perfection.

Reading she’s possibly damaged it again (not intentionally, of course), I have to ask: have you/she considered possibly making it more of an ‘occasional’ ring (maybe with your/her birthstone reset in it), and going with something more “bull in a china shop-proof” for her as a daily driver?

Might be a good opportunity to also address your color concerns via upgrade. :whistle: ;)2

Gemstonesrock

Shiny_Rock
I think some people have had situations where the stone actually ended up being graded higher than anticipated (color or clarity) and HPD/CBI did not charge them more.

My fiance bought my engagement CBI while it was in the "future" stage and still being cut. It was supposed to be a 2.21 ct E SI1 but it finished at a 2.23 E VS2. No price increase. And SI to VS is a pretty significant jump!

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My fiance bought my engagement CBI while it was in the "future" stage and still being cut. It was supposed to be a 2.21 ct E SI1 but it finished at a 2.23 E VS2. No price increase. And SI to VS is a pretty significant jump!

Dancing-Gif-to-Be-Happy-2.gif

daisygrl

Brilliant_Rock

As you may recall, my wife's setting had those swoops/curves that wrapped up to create a halo effect. When designing with DK, the exact measurements of the BGD stone was utilized. Additionally I was picky about getting an "air line" between the stone and swoops. So there is very little play without changing design aesthetics. TBH, not even sure I have 0.20mm. I'd need to confirm with DK.

One of my concerns when doing the design was she initially wanted it higher than most people recommend here. There is some (minor) slack that we can adjust down when/if the time comes. The problem is as you make vertical changes it affects other elements because of her design.

Funny that you mentioned it... I have always been an F color girl :lol:, however, when I saw CBI stone in H color (given $6,000+ savings from F to H) I could barely see a color difference. The sparkle from CBI and a lower crown of the H colored stone made it look very very white. It turned out it was a high H so paying extra $6,000 for an F was out of the question for me in this case.

and OOOOPS, I did not realize this is an old thread. Nevermind. Carry on...:cool2:

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results