carat
color
clarity

New and looking for help choosing Cushion cut diamond to OZ

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Re: New and looking for help choosing Cushion cut diamond to

Here's some additional knowledge for you:

It is important to remember is that color is graded FACE DOWN. Where there is NO light return. Not face up where there is light return and refraction. You wear diamonds set. FACE UP.

Within one color grade, even the labs can't agree on the color grades of stones and something could be a "high" H or a "low" E. Within 2 color grades it is hard too. And it gets harder once set. If you are talking ideal rounds, or any stone with ideal light return and no sharp corners it gets harder still because the ideal light return masks body color.

Generally we say to be conservative stay above H.

If you are talking fancy shapes without ideal light return (because there is no 'ideal' for EC's Radiant, etc) it's a bit different. Shapes without points: so ovals and cushions with great ASETs are still fine down to H and very white (please note if a cushion has radiant/crushed ice faceting then G and above is safer). Shapes with points: pears, princesses, marquise... those show color more readily. So G and above. Some radiants and crushed ice radiant type faceting traps color so G and above.

_327.png

This is how I think of it.

Ever gotten one of those HUGE paint fan decks? Where there are literally 100s of colors of whites? And when they are RIGHT next to each other you can TOTALLY tell that one is bluer/colder and one is a bit warmer and which one is one is TOTALLY warmer. One there's one that's slightly greener. One that's slightly pinker? But really. They are all white?

Then you pick one after agonizing over this white or that white and when it's on the walls and people are like: Oh. You painted again. And it's STILL white. Great.

And you're all... BUT it's BLUE white. Or it's a WARM white now. It used to be ____ white. It's TOTALLY different.

It's like that. You are talking about shades of white. D is colder... J is warmer. But it's all white.

YES. If you have an accurately graded F and an H THAT HAVE THE SAME PERFORMANCE you are going to be able to tell them apart when you compare them side by side. Just like you would be able to tell if you painted your walls a warm white, but painted the crown molding a cold/straight white. But both are STILL white, you only see the contrast because of the proximity. But it's very slight, you could set an F center with G sides and never tell the difference. And even H sides depending on the setting and the size of the sidestones... especially with round brilliants.

I want you notice all the qualifiers thought. I'm talking about stones with the SAME performance. An ideal H will out white an F that has compromised light performance from a poor cut.

NOTHING impacts the appearance of a diamond as much as cut. CUT is king.

You want the shinest whitest and brightest diamond out there: Cut is King. No other factor, not color or clarity or anything else impacts how white bright an shiny a stone is.

hogster

Rough_Rock

Thank you very much for your very detailed post. I had a good laugh reading it and made alot of sense. Some people like colder whites some like warmer so its preference of choice.

What you have said makes slot of sense and i really appreciate your feedback.

I do like the 1.3 carat so i will request the aset images of the 3 diamonds in the last post i put. Will i be able to post them here?

My girlfriend honestly has no idea or any knowledge but im a bit ocd when comes to getting the best from what i can spend and i feel shops just want your money and i hate buying anything in retail shop. As long as its blingy and sparkles and she can be proud of im happy. Shes not expecting much snd told her i will save up maybe next year but will get it and hopefully pop the question before we have a holiday home to Ireland from Australia for xmas.

Are you in Usa or Aus?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

I am in the US. But have enjoyed many happy trips to OZ. It's a lovely country... and boy do I wish I could relocate there.

I'm on the West Coast in the US. SO my time zone matches up better with yours than our East Coast Pricescopers. Plus I'm an insomniac. But it is time for me to at least TRY to sleep.

If one of the stones is not eyeclean, pick one of the others I posted for you to make up your 3 ASETs.

Then once you have the ASETs post them here and we are happy to help you understand them and make the decision that is best for you.

hogster

Rough_Rock

I have not been to america just once when i went to Cancun and stopped in LA for a nite.

I am hoping to go to Vegas next year with muly partner. Im originally from Ireland but living in Australia for 2 years.

Im a forum freak to mainly with cars. I will find out whats eye clean get images and post them here. Thank you again ;-)

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

Anytime. And happy to help. I've never been to Ireland, but always thought it would be a lovely place to visit .

misskittycat

Brilliant_Rock

I agree with Arkie, you can get well made settings at a better price in the US, but the downside is that you don't get a chance to see the stone before it's set.

My jeweller in Sydney is a guy called Dana Ball. He makes everything by hand (no casting). He's not cheap but he's good. I have never lost a stone from pave that he has made me.

He doesn't have a shop front - his studio is in the Westpac Building on King Street opposite Chanel. Level 9, 155 King Street.

Call for an appointment - 9231 6939.

Daisyoz

Shiny_Rock

misskittycat|1408360971|3734681 said:
I agree with Arkie, you can get well made settings at a better price in the US, but the downside is that you don't get a chance to see the stone before it's set.

My jeweller in Sydney is a guy called Dana Ball. He makes everything by hand (no casting). He's not cheap but he's good. I have never lost a stone from pave that he has made me.

He doesn't have a shop front - his studio is in the Westpac Building on King Street opposite Chanel. Level 9, 155 King Street.

Misskittycat :wavey: , I am in Melbourne. Do you know any good jeweller here? I am thinking of resetting my diamond but not sure how I will go about doing it. I got my ring resized at KB Diamond Setter on Collins St, but not sure how good they are in making settings or setting diamonds. Thanks heaps!

OP, sorry to thread jack! I hope you will find your cushion soon! I found my diamond through PS also and love it to bits! Good luck!

hogster

Rough_Rock

Ok Gypsy I have gotten james allen to hold the 3 diamonds and the two I am interested in are in a different department store and they can not get a gemologist to inspect them or have the ASET unless the buy them which I find quite frustrating and this was here response

''2 of the diamonds are located with our diamond department partner that is located in Chicago. Since they are not in NY, the diamonds would have to be purchased in order to get the inspection and aset images completed. The diamonds that are not available without purchase are 353616 and 281246''

I then told them that I am very interested in just the 1.3 carat and this was there response:

''While it is not something that we are able to do, we would love to get an inspection done for you. We will refund the credit card if you are not satisfied with the inspection or ASET images. We simply authorize the credit card. If you do not proceed with the purchase, we fully refund the credit card.''

So what do I do from here any help?

Thanks,

hogster

Rough_Rock

misskittycat|1408360971|3734681 said:

Thank you for the details, what type of work have you had done? I like this design in particular:
http://www.victorcanera.com/jewelry/engagement-rings/halo-solitaire-with-pear-shaped-pave-stems

If i was to buy the ring and diamond would he set it?

@ Daisey what specs of cushion did you go for?

tHANKS,

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium

You have two options buy a stone with everyone helping you and get a setting made for it in the US, once it arrives, if you like the setting and not the stone you will have to return the stone and then find another stone roughly the same size (which is not always that easy to then do), but this is going to be the cheapest easiest option.

Or you can buy a diamond have it sent here and then buy a setting for that diamond. Keep in mind a lot of places in the US will not make you a setting without having the stone. Or you could get a setting made for the stone here, but generally the work is of a lower standard and a higher price than in the US.

If you don't have any luck with JA, GOG has some nice cushions in your price range.

hogster

Rough_Rock

Thank you for your reply arkieb1

I have been speaking with james allen and after close inspections the 1.22 and 1.31 cushions both have very noticeable inclusions which I dont want and they are visable on the pc more so than my iphone.

At the minute I am very much liking this one and have it on hold http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/cushion-cut/1.07-carat-e-color-vvs2-clarity-sku-305030

what do you think? It has no inclusions that can be seen and good colour and clarity and what gypsy has suggested.

Can you please send links to the gog ones in my price range. I think once I have the stone I will then decide on the seting.

hogster

Rough_Rock

Ok guys sorry for all the emails I am just about to go to sleep here in OZ so last question.

I have found this beauty on bluenile signature collection so between this which of the two would you go for? I know the cut is ideal so please help me out:

http://www.bluenile.com/au/diamond-details/LD03808090?keyword_search_value=LD03808090

GIA Report for it showing inclusions http://www.gia.edu/cs/Satellite?reportno=2166075606&childpagename=GIA%2FPage%2FReportCheck&pagename=GIA%2FDispatcher&c=Page&cid=1355954554547

or

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/cushion-cut/1.07-carat-e-color-vvs2-clarity-sku-305030

Both nearly same money but the bluenile is slightly larger LWD and perfect cut.
From the bluenile ASET and reports which is the winner?

Any help appreciated. ell me the favourite and why?

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Hi,

I am trying to learn too. Gypsy, could you please tell me why his second choice of a stone was not a good choice compared to your choices. I look at the info and it looked good to me as well. You are not discounting the choice because you don't think a D is necessary or vvs1. Its cheaper. If there is no aset, how can you tell. :D

Annette

rookie34

Rough_Rock

smitcompton|1408397666|3735015 said:
Hi,

I am trying to learn too. Gypsy, could you please tell me why his second choice of a stone was not a good choice compared to your choices. I look at the info and it looked good to me as well. You are not discounting the choice because you don't think a D is necessary or vvs1. Its cheaper. If there is no aset, how can you tell. :D

Annette

Here's my chance to show Gypsy that I'm actually learning, and possibly help you out Annete.

If you look at his second choice:
http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/cushion-cut/1.20-carat-d-color-vvs2-clarity-sku-357119
A higher color D, higher clarity vvs2, same size (by .01)

and compare to one of Gypsy's stones specifically of equal size:
http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/cushion-cut/1.21-carat-e-color-vs1-clarity-sku-313793

Even tho its an e (one step lower than a d) and vs1 (one step lower than vvs2), it is more expensive by $500

This is because of the facets, i.e. how it was cut. Look carefully at the 360 image...especially when you are at the center. Do you notice how the center of his choice is almost transparent, kind of like crushed ice.

Gypsy's choice (above and all others as well) will go dark, bright, dark, bright - you cannot see thru it...thats performance, thats sparkle, and thats a lively diamond rather than a "mushy dead" stone!

At the end of the day we with ASET's and Idealscopes we can go a step further than our eye test to grade performance. However with James Allen's 360 images combined with Gypsy's experience...she can analyze several diamonds quickly to determine which will perform best and make recommendation for the 3 comparisons, assuming of course that they are eyeclean. Thats super helpful considering JA only lets you pick 3 to evaluate.

Lastly, some other retailers have stones (such as BN's signature line or BGD's hearts and arrows) which they have already provided images and scopes and ASETS etc (still learning the difference haha)- I know there are some others out there as well. If you know how to analyze these images that will also be helpful to grade performance, sparkle, reflectiveness of light - which is what you want in a diamond.

:angel:

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

hogster|1408363282|3734689 said:
Ok Gypsy I have gotten james allen to hold the 3 diamonds and the two I am interested in are in a different department store and they can not get a gemologist to inspect them or have the ASET unless the buy them which I find quite frustrating and this was here response

''2 of the diamonds are located with our diamond department partner that is located in Chicago. Since they are not in NY, the diamonds would have to be purchased in order to get the inspection and aset images completed. The diamonds that are not available without purchase are 353616 and 281246''

I then told them that I am very interested in just the 1.3 carat and this was there response:

''While it is not something that we are able to do, we would love to get an inspection done for you. We will refund the credit card if you are not satisfied with the inspection or ASET images. We simply authorize the credit card. If you do not proceed with the purchase, we fully refund the credit card.''

Thanks,

I've never heard that before. Let me see.

hogster

Rough_Rock

Gypsy|1408422435|3735280 said:
hogster|1408363282|3734689 said:

Thanks,

I've never heard that before. Let me see.

Gypsy your back :)

I have discounted both them diamonds as they have inclusions i can see on my pc screen. Can you check out the Blue nike diamond and compare to 1.07 JA one you pointed me to?

I am really interested in the BN one?

Thanks

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

The Blue Nile Signature line are very lovely stones. They ASET out very well (we've had people purchase them then take them to appraisers for ASETs, that's how we know. BN doesnt' provide ASETs."

I personally would buy one, if that's the type of stone I wanted in a heart beat. That said, the faceting is very similar to a round. So some people like that and others do not. The performance is also very similar to an ideal round. So it will be a very excellent performer.

It's over 6mm in spread. So it does face up larger than the JA stone.

What it loses is 'personality'. That's not a quantifiable thing. But I do know some people that would not like the Hearts and Arrows Cushion, because they want the personality of a more typical cushion. I don't know which your lady will prefer.

The JA stone is going to ASET out similar to this one:
_19020.jpg
Which is a very strong performer for a generic cushion. Very above average.

And the Blue Nile cushions ASET out similar to these (These are the Brian Gavin Signature Cushion and the Briella, carried by GOG):
asetbgdvsbrellia.jpg

So as you can see, there is more direct light being reflected. And there's more high contrast flashes with the hearts and arrows stones. So they have the performance edge in a head to head battle.

I can't make the choice for you. That's up to you. Remember when I said my role here is to educate you? That's all I can do. Ultimately you have the money and it's your purchase. So you have the make the decision. I just seek to make sure you are knowledgable enough to do that.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

rookie34|1408417606|3735236 said:
smitcompton|1408397666|3735015 said:
Hi,

Annette

Here's my chance to show Gypsy that I'm actually learning, and possibly help you out Annete. AWESOME. I love it when our posters pay it forward

If you look at his second choice:
http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/cushion-cut/1.20-carat-d-color-vvs2-clarity-sku-357119
A higher color D, higher clarity vvs2, same size (by .01)

and compare to one of Gypsy's stones specifically of equal size: Small edit here. These stones are NOT the same size. They are the same weight. In fact the E stone I picked is larger than the D of similar carat weight. That's why we always say that with fancies you compare spread (dimensions) not weight. =)

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/cushion-cut/1.21-carat-e-color-vs1-clarity-sku-313793

Even tho its an e (one step lower than a d) and vs1 (one step lower than vvs2), it is more expensive by $500

This is because of the facets, i.e. how it was cut. Look carefully at the 360 image...especially when you are at the center. Do you notice how the center of his choice is almost transparent, kind of like crushed ice. The facets are really hard to diferentiate, you can't really tell what the facet arrangement is beyond "chaos" unless you strain t to find some order in there.

Gypsy's choice (above and all others as well) will go dark, bright, dark, bright - you cannot see thru it...thats performance, thats sparkle, and thats a lively diamond rather than a "mushy dead" stone! That's how you can see the diamond is reflecting the light it is taking in, instead of absorbing it. And you want that reflection. You want the diamond to take light in and shoot it back at you.

At the end of the day we with ASET's and Idealscopes we can go a step further than our eye test to grade performance. However with James Allen's 360 images combined with Gypsy's experience...she can analyze several diamonds quickly to determine which will perform best and make recommendation for the 3 comparisons, assuming of course that they are eyeclean. Thats super helpful considering JA only lets you pick 3 to evaluate. I can usually predict based on my familiarity with certain vendors photo set ups what an ASET will look like. So if you see my post above to the poster, you will see I posted an ASET , and that I said that the JA stone 1.07 will ASET out similar to that one. When I am familiar with a photo set up, the way I am at JA, or B2C, or another vendor, I can usually pick a decent diamond out just by watching the images/video. It is a very easy thing to learn, and all it takes is a little time and experience.

Lastly, some other retailers have stones (such as BN's signature line or BGD's hearts and arrows) which they have already provided images and scopes and ASETS etc (still learning the difference haha)- I know there are some others out there as well. If you know how to analyze these images that will also be helpful to grade performance, sparkle, reflectiveness of light - which is what you want in a diamond. Exactly. Some vendors post the ASETs up front. B2C does for some of their stones. GOG does for nearly all their stones. Blue Nile signature doesn't provide ASETs but they do have a G-CAL posted and that evaluates the light return. I really only use it for the cushions. I don't trust it for rounds, and still sort with HCA for those and use the GCAL, instead of a idealscope, since they don't offer those. But I still use the HCA to disqualify for rounds on BN Signature line.

:angel: You did great.

Another thing to note is the facet pattern. With fancies (all of them) there is no "ONE" facet pattern like there is with rounds. There are dozens of different facet patterns for cushions, for example. Since you can't know by sight what a facet pattern is when you are starting out, you need to click on the GIA lab report and LOOK at the facet diagram. That way you can see which diamonds the facet diagrams correspond to, and you can see what which ones your eyes prefer:

In the example above:

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/cushion-cut/1.20-carat-d-color-vvs2-clarity-sku-357119 This is a modified eight main cushion facet diagram. THis particular diagram gives you a 'crushed ice' facet structure. Most of these are duds.

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/cushion-cut/1.21-carat-e-color-vs1-clarity-sku-313793 This modified 4 main facet structure. When you look at the faceting diagram and then look at the stone... you see how crisp the patterning of the stone is? How you can easily see how the faceting corresponds to the diagram? That's what you want. This is a GOOD example of this facet pattern.

But facet pattern is just a SINGLE factor. Here's a BADLY performing cushion with the SAME facet structure of the 1.21 E:
http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/cushion-cut/1.21-carat-e-color-vs1-clarity-sku-313793 :knockout: Not very nice right? This is what happens when faceting goes bad.

AND AGAIN, there are MANY MANY facet patterns for cushions: Here one that's similar to princess: http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/cushion-cut/1.35-carat-h-color-vvs2-clarity-sku-348420 It's not going to be a high contrast performer. But probably will ASET out with a lot of consistent green, which is a quieter brightness, but brightness just the same.

Here's a uncommon one: http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/cushion-cut/1.50-carat-k-color-vs1-clarity-sku-338117

So, in short. There are many facet patterns for each shape of fancy. Some are more consistently 'good' than others. Pay attention to the facet pattern. Be aware of it, but don't depend on it by itself, as it just not enough. Sometimes it can help you. Sometimes it can't. But you should start to notice if there is a consistent facet pattern you like. So you know what to look for. Or if there is a consistent facet pattern you dislike. But keep in mind, there are good and bad examples of most facet patterns. Don't disqualify a facet pattern from a band example of the type. You might like the facet pattern if you see a good one.

Okay? :wavey:

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

How to read an ASET: http://www.highperformancediamonds.com/index.php?page=education-performance
Excerpt from this article:
"RED is Direct Light (drawn from 45-75 degrees). Red will be the most intense. It comes directly from the source.

GREEN is Reflected Light (drawn from 0-45 degrees). Green has less intensity. It is light reflected from walls, the environment, etc.

BLUE represents light Obscured by the observer (your head blocks this light from reaching the diamond). When the diamond is tilted these areas will light up and other areas will become shaded. The distribution of blue is a primary factor in the diamond's "contrast pattern."

WHITE (if the diamond is backlit, as above) or BLACK (if not) is Leakage. These areas show where pavilion facets are acting as windows rather than mirrors. You see white because those windows allow you to look through the diamond and see the light underneath. White should be minimized."

In short Red is brightest. Green is bright, but less so than Red. Blue is obscured light, so you want it for patterning, but too much of it will lead to darkness. And white or black (depending on the background of the image) is leakage, so you want as little of that as possible. Now, with some fancies, like pears and ovals and marquise you are going to see much more leakage than other cuts, like cushions. With cushions you can definitely get a minimal or no leakage stone.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

Here's a good example of a facet pattern similarity. These are all antique cushion facet patterns and if you looked at their lab reports the facet patterns would be depicted almost identically.

The ERD cushions are generics. Some are better than others. This one is an OKAY example of the type. The other two are the same pattern, but are branded and cut with STRICT tolerances for angles and other dimensions so that EACH stone maximizes light return (similar to the Hearts and Arrows diamonds from BN Signature, BGD Signature and GOG Briella).

is-there-such-a-thing-as-ideal-cushion-cut.187761

hogster

Rough_Rock

Gypsy|1408423346|3735294 said:
The Blue Nile Signature line are very lovely stones. They ASET out very well (we've had people purchase them then take them to appraisers for ASETs, that's how we know. BN doesnt' provide ASETs."

I personally would buy one, if that's the type of stone I wanted in a heart beat. That said, the faceting is very similar to a round. So some people like that and others do not. The performance is also very similar to an ideal round. So it will be a very excellent performer.

It's over 6mm in spread. So it does face up larger than the JA stone.

What it loses is 'personality'. That's not a quantifiable thing. But I do know some people that would not like the Hearts and Arrows Cushion, because they want the personality of a more typical cushion. I don't know which your lady will prefer.

The JA stone is going to ASET out similar to this one:
_19020.jpg
Which is a very strong performer for a generic cushion. Very above average.

And the Blue Nile cushions ASET out similar to these (These are the Brian Gavin Signature Cushion and the Briella, carried by GOG):
asetbgdvsbrellia.jpg

So as you can see, there is more direct light being reflected. And there's more high contrast flashes with the hearts and arrows stones. So they have the performance edge in a head to head battle.

I can't make the choice for you. That's up to you. Remember when I said my role here is to educate you? That's all I can do. Ultimately you have the money and it's your purchase. So you have the make the decision. I just seek to make sure you are knowledgable enough to do that.

Thank you for the detailed response as always Gypsy,

I have read up alot since yesterday but it would take me forever to attain your experience and i just dont have the time as i need to get moving.

I do like both rings. I was just onto a guy whos trains in my gym, hes a jeweller has a shop says he can get better diamonds through the network from states cheaper but im asking him for gia report numbers he says he will show me in the shop when i go out so as nice as he seems i dont feel comfortable and he wants to make a sale and said that both diamonds the JA 1.07 and the BN 1.15 are shallow and not ideal he can get a 1.12 Vs2 G colour for 6.5k aus landed.

Gypsy if was your money and had a choice betweem the two which would you go for? I dont think id be unhappy with either but i could spend months an months an really i just want to start making decisions.

Thank you.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

What did you lady say she wanted? Did she give you pictures of what she wants?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

hogster

Rough_Rock

To be honest she hasnt told me and is not fussy she is not expecting much and is hoping we will het the money in a year or 2 but im going to surprise her so i just want it to not be too small and have the wow factor but she likes a thin shank/band and the halo/pave setting.

I love the BN one for some resaon but just waiting for someone to give me a reason not to get it and JA is second choice so far.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

There is no reason not to get it. It's a fantastic stone. Will be larger than the other one. Is in budget and it's 'speaking' to you. So all good.

Get it. I think you'll love it.

hogster

Rough_Rock

Gypsy|1408428131|3735324 said:
There is no reason not to get it. It's a fantastic stone. Will be larger than the other one. Is in budget and it's 'speaking' to you. So all good.

Get it. I think you'll love it.

You are the first person to actually say go for it haha. Seing as tho we are saving for a house/kids etc it will be the first and last ring and its alot of money, as much as my car :(

If was you honestly would you go for JA or BN and lastly is there anything with the BN you dont like? From the GIA report there is few tiny inclusions not in table tho but the JA has none.

Thanks

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

Again, we are talking personal preferences here. My answer won't help you at all.

I do not like hearts and arrows faceting in general. It doesn't appeal to me. So I'm the wrong person to ask.

But I wouldn't buy the other stone either. I don't need such high color and clarity and I would probably prefer something like this too eek out as much size as possible: http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/cushion-cut/1.52-carat-j-color-vvs2-clarity-sku-317640 But mostly because that's the facet pattern I prefer, and I don't need high color. Faceting is more important to me than color with cushions, and it's more important to me than having perfect light return. 8) And I wouldn't be putting it in a halo (which needs higher color than a J in general), I'd put it into a three stone like the below, with H color sidestones (as they will be step cuts and show color more readily than brilliant cuts like cushions).

But again, you are talking to someone that has VERY specific preferences. Your lady isn't like that. And you are getting a gorgeous stone with incredible performance and it will blow you and every other cushion you compare it to, away.

cushion_three_stone.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

hogster|1408428576|3735327 said:
You are the first person to actually say go for it haha.

We don't like to tell people what to do. We like to help them make better decisions, but leave the decision making up to them. It's not our money.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results