color
clarity

New and looking for help choosing Cushion cut diamond to OZ

hogster

Rough_Rock
Re: New and looking for help choosing Cushion cut diamond to

Gypsy|1408429414|3735333 said:
hogster|1408428576|3735327 said:
You are the first person to actually say go for it haha.

We don't like to tell people what to do. We like to help them make better decisions, but leave the decision making up to them. It's not our money.

Totally understand what you are saying. Everyone has there own choices and preferences.

I have not seen hearts and diamonds in person but really like it from what i have seen on here. I am going to watch some video tonite. It was just when the jeweller said to me the BN is to shallow blah blah and its not ideal i dont know what to think.

You choose the JA and i have picked the BN so hoping you spproved that. I just want great sparkle with fire and ice as they say and for her to just think wow :)

Will keep you updated if you see anything else i i can submit 2more stones to JA for ASETs tonite

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

The jeweler was biased. Severely so.

And there is no 'too shallow' for cushions just as there really isn't a 'too deep'. If you read the dissertation (lol) I posted on cushion faceting above you'll remember that I told you that there are many facet patterns for cushions. As a result, there are many acceptable table sizes and many acceptable depths that correspond to those facet patterns. Some cushion plots require a lot of depth to get great performance. Some do not. This particular jeweler is either ignorant, or just plain lying to you in order to make you doubt yourself. The best thing you can do is to stop talking to him. He's clearly not after your best interest, but his own. This particular hearts and arrows facet pattern from Blue Nile is (like all branded cuts) very strictly regulated for consistency to certain angles and depths BECAUSE those angles and depths are what is required for the light performance that they want. Table, depth, and angles all work TOGETHER as a whole to bright about light return. And to be perfectly honest, it's better cut than ANYTHING he's likely ever seen, let alone carried. And he cannot compete with it. The depth is 69% that is NOT shallow AT ALL for cushions. It's actually about average. Most of the better performing cushions we see average around 65%-70% depth. But again, depth is meaningless with cushions without context. Critiquing a fancy shape diamond by pointing to it's depth is like saying a building is too tall. Is it too tall for a one story? Or is it just right, BECAUSE it has two stories not one. Or maybe the person who built it wanted high ceilings in a one story and it's just right for that reason. His comment about depth is just as silly as someone complaining that a certain building is too tall and therefore structurally unsound. It's just useless stupid commentary meant to make you feel uncertain and more likely to rely on HIS expertise. Because that this point he doesn't have ANYTHING else. He can't beat the price. He can't match the performance. So he's manipulating you to make you buy from him.

So instead of being honest with you. Which is what a good jeweler would do. He is badmouthing it, and undermining your confidence.

Walk don't run out of his shop and never return. And just so you know. This type of person will STILL badmouth that stone if you take it into him. He'll tell you all kinds of things are wrong with it, and then point out why his stones are better. Because he knows you have a good return policy.

Don't give him another second of your time. Go to the jewelers our members here have recommended for you. Take your lovely BN stone into them. And get a nice setting for it. :))

Please keep in mind those jewelers lights can make poorly performing stones look great. And when you are comparing any stone to yours, pull it away from the spot lights into indirect light, and if you can find it, natural day light, direct and then indirect (hold hand over it) to see how a diamond performs in 'normal' light instead of that stuff that jewelers have.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium

We have a lot of people that buy diamonds from friends of friends and they almost always get ripped off. Listen to Gypsy she knows what she is talking about.

The stone you like at Blue Nile is similar to this one but the one you have found is larger and a better price;
http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/12518/

These stones look like a square shape (cushion) with a hearts and arrows round pattern in them. So they have plenty of fire and sparkle but if you know what you are looking at they do not look like a standard modern cushion, they look like a round brilliant in a square.

The 1.07 E is a very nice modern cushion, I liked that one the best if you are going for a sharp looking non crushed ice cut pattern.

This is a great video to show you the difference in cushion cuts and to help you learn a bit about understanding cushion ASETs;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1O7H8E_MYRM

hogster

Rough_Rock

Wow thank you for the very detailed posts, best thing i did was joing this forum ive learnt slot over last 2 days and i hope more than just me is benefitting from your replied.

I will not be dealing with that jeweller anymore like every shop over here i feel like they just want a quick buck and make as much as they can.

That 1.5 J is very nice but little to yellowish and its also sold or held for somone.

My heart is telling me the BN even tho i cant see it like JA one, as long as its eye clean. There is some clouds which i hope are ok. I think she would love the sparkle from it and its great size. I want my budget to be 7k Aus and i haveto allow 10% gst/tax ontop to allow me 3k for harry winston style platinum ring.

Now can i use ERD to make the aharry Winston ring but also appraise the diamond if i had it sent to there? If happy will they send to me all packaged etc an if they say its not eye clean then return it to Blue nile?

Has anyone done this before and is it safe an trust worthy on my behalf its alot of money were talking?

Thank you again.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium

The Blue Nile stone is a beautiful stone, we don't see many like it in Australia, it is just not exactly the same as a regular cushion that is all we are saying. I agree given where you started a J is possibly going to be too tinted for you, the H at Blue Nile might be as well if she has her heart set on a D or an E colour. You need to contact the Blue Nile rep and ask is the stone completely 100% eye clean under very close inspection, is it white facing or does it have any sort of tint, is it a true H or is it bordering on more of a J colour.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

Quickly before bed...
A) I have not worked with ERD before personally, though MANY of my close friends have and happily. I think they are perfectly safe to work with. To be clear, there have been communication flubs in the past about certain design details, but ERD always does the right thing and will even completely re-make a ring to make a customer happy. Keep a clear log of all communications. And if they send you CADs please post them here and we can help you with them.
B) I do not know if they will feel comfortable appraising the BN diamond for you and sending it back (BN pays return shipping, yes or no?) to BN in your place if it doesn't work out. You would need to call them and speak to them about it and see what they say. You will be up in the middle of the night again, therefore.
C) I have done something similar with other jewelers and never had an issue.
D) BN Signature LIne is guaranteed eyeclean. But it doesn't hurt to check before ordering what that means, and see if they can have a gemologist pull it for you. They might even be able to get you a picture. You don't know if you don't ask.
E) I don't think a GIA H is going to be close to a J. But color grades are ranges, which is what Arkieb was explaining, so you can, if you want to, ask them if it is a high H or a low one. Don't be surprised if they don't have a good answer.
F) If ERD doesn't feel comfortable appraising the stone, you can have it sent to an appraiser first. There are a number of them that would do this for you. I have done this too. Used an appraiser as an intermediary. It can be expensive though, just as a warning.
G) You will HAVE to get the stone insured before sending to ERD (or any vendor) for setting. As you are international, I do not know how to do that, but perhaps one of our Aussie ladies does. ERD will not insure the stone against loss or damage during setting. VERY FEW jewelers do.

OK, off to bed. Good night.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I don't think a H is going to look like an I or a J either, it's a signature stone and it should be eyeclean, but I always always ask anyway just to make completely sure and write down who you spoke to or keep the email that way if you hate the colour or you can see anything in the stone because it is an SI1 and you aren't happy with it you have a full record and you can send it back again. Because we live so far away I cover all bases when I purchase anything.

I have either had my things set here so they are covered under our insurance or I have sent them to jewellers in the US who either have insurance (usually you have to buy the stone and the setting from the one vendor to qualify for this) or to vendors who I trust enough not to damage the stone. Any insurance company in Australia will not cover the stone when it is not in Australia that is the issue that you will have.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

Another solution is to have the stone sent to ERD. Have them make the setting. But not set the stone in it. They would ship both back to you. You'd get insurance. And have a local bench do the actual setting. There are pluses and minuses.

The J was not a recommendation for you. It's not a good choice for you and your needs. It is the stone I recommended for another poster who was specifically looking for that facet patern. I just was using it to show you what type of stone I would buy, since you asked. My point in posting it is there is no right or wrong answer. There is only what is best for you and your preferences. And that's what matters.

bws

Rough_Rock

Gypsy|1408437889|3735363 said:
Another solution is to have the stone sent to ERD. Have them make the setting. But not set the stone in it. They would ship both back to you. You'd get insurance. And have a local bench do the actual setting. There are pluses and minuses.

The J was not a recommendation for you. It's not a good choice for you and your needs. It is the stone I recommended for another poster who was specifically looking for that facet patern. I just was using it to show you what type of stone I would buy, since you asked. My point in posting it is there is no right or wrong answer. There is only what is best for you and your preferences. And that's what matters.

Gypsy great info in this thread. Can you help in my post since I'm looking for a similar diamond?
I wish there was a PM feature.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results