shape
carat
color
clarity

Need more advice...am I seeing painting/digging for this GCAL 8X graded diamond?

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Hi, PS friends!

Need some more eyes on a GCAL 8X graded diamond that I came across.

HPHT, Colorless, VS2

My primary concerns are the dark spots on the outer edges of the crown/girdle (seems a bit evident in the "ASET" image) and potential impact to transparency and reduced performance due to the notation of clouds.
Anybody see anything concerning?

Screenshot_20220717-095734.png

Screenshot_20220717-100938.png

Screenshot_20220717-095849.png

Screenshot_20220717-100013.png

Screenshot_20220717-095950.png

Screenshot_20220717-095934.png

Screenshot_20220717-100745.png

Screenshot_20220717-100409.png

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Forgot to mention: the diamond will be called in tomorrow, so hopefully I'll have pictures, videos, and ASET images towards the middle or end of the week. Once I get those, I will post them.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
post the bright image with the blue on it, not at computer to look up what they call it.

Last edited:

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Also there is no aset image and please do not create more confusion over their scope image and aset.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
post the bright image with the blue on it, not at computer to look up what they call it.

Hi, @Karl_K ...here is the image

Screenshot_20220717-123030.png

Also there is no aset image and please do not create more confusion over their scope image and aset.

I know, that's why I put it in quotation marks: not to formally refer to it as such, but to refer to it in an indirect or so-called manner, since I/we don't know the official name of the scope used by GCAL.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I know, that's why I put it in quotation marks: not to formally refer to it as such, but to refer to it in an indirect or so-called manner, since I/we don't know the official name of the scope used by GCAL.
I know that and the regulars know that but it might not be that clear to new people. When your in a position of trust like you are a little caution goes a long way.
People give more weight to what you say than they may others. I'm probably not the most innocent person to talk because it is something I have to work on also.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi, @Karl_K ...here is the image

The blue is the same as white in IS and white or black in ASET, leakage.
Given the leakage patterns there is not a large degree of painting or digging.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
There is variation in the lowers.(clefts in hearts) More so than you will usually see in premium h&a stones but not enough to hurt performance.
Its still h&a just not the highest level.
I know you know this already :}
0220717-095950.png

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
I know that and the regulars know that but it might not be that clear to new people. When your in a position of trust like you are a little caution goes a long way.
People give more weight to what you say than they may others. I'm probably not the most innocent person to talk because it is something I have to work on also.

Good point...duly noted!

The blue is the same as white in IS and white or black in ASET, leakage.
Given the leakage patterns there is not a large degree of painting or digging.

Thank you, Karl. Any thoughts about the dark areas around the entire perimeter of the crown area in their proprietary angular spectrum analysis image?

There is variation in the lowers.(clefts in hearts) More so than you will usually see in premium h&a stones but not enough to hurt performance.
Its still h&a just not the highest level.
I know you know this already :}
0220717-095950.png

I did notice that, and it's about a 90-95/100 for H&A to my eyes.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thank you, Karl. Any thoughts about the dark areas around the entire perimeter of the crown area in their proprietary angular spectrum analysis image?
Without knowing what angles each color represents it is impossible to say.
That is the biggest gripe I have with GCAL its all closed.
Some of them are easy to reverse engineer some others less easy.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Without knowing what angles each color represents it is impossible to say.
That is the biggest gripe I have with GCAL its all closed.
Some of them are easy to reverse engineer some others less easy.

Once I get actually ASET images, hopefully it'll put some of the puzzle pieces in place for deciphering what the GCAL scope is more about.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Once I get actually ASET images, hopefully it'll put some of the puzzle pieces in place for deciphering what the GCAL scope is more about.

Ask if they can provide a sarin(.srn) or stl file.
Even a full sarin report might help.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Ask if they can provide a sarin(.srn) or stl file.
Even a full sarin report might help.

Roger that - I will certainly ask and keep fingers crossed.

CountingStars

Rough_Rock

Deja, not sure if this is helpful or not helping you decipher the GCAL scope puzzle. Here is the diamond I am purchasing from GOG with the GCAL symmetry image and the ASET from GOG. I don’t understand much about ASET like you but just picked a GCAL 8X HTHP with the most fire on the 360 and most white dots on the GCAL scintillation video lol. I am trusting the experts at GOG confirming its a stunner. Hope it helps! A5DDABC3-555E-4D20-AA2F-3FDDB263C35F.jpeg

Attachments

• 1917FF77-94E7-4633-8F6A-745929B83FD7.jpeg
    1917FF77-94E7-4633-8F6A-745929B83FD7.jpeg
    146.8 KB · Views: 50

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Deja, not sure if this is helpful or not helping you decipher the GCAL scope puzzle. Here is the diamond I am purchasing from GOG with the GCAL symmetry image and the ASET from GOG. I don’t understand much about ASET like you but just picked a GCAL 8X HTHP with the most fire on the 360 and most white dots on the GCAL scintillation video lol. I am trusting the experts at GOG confirming its a stunner. Hope it helps! A5DDABC3-555E-4D20-AA2F-3FDDB263C35F.jpeg

Fantastic, CountingStars - thank you for posting these images!

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
My pleasure! If you wouldn’t mind just giving me your quick thoughts on the ASET while you do your digging. Just for unbiased opinion and piece of mind!

Sure thing!
This is an easy one:

Screenshot_20220718-062450.png

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
My pleasure! If you wouldn’t mind just giving me your quick thoughts on the ASET while you do your digging. Just for unbiased opinion and piece of mind!

It passes the aset test with flying colors
GOG has the capability of suppling stl or sarin files.
Dunno if they will or not.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
DjW your stone has a tiny bit of painting on one side only. Counting stars yours has a little more but neither would worry me

I did notice that...pavilion mains have slight variance of color in the angular spectrum image.
Thank you kindly, Garry H (Cut Nut)!

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I did notice that...pavilion mains have slight variance of color in the angular spectrum image.
Thank you kindly, Garry H (Cut Nut)!

That is not an ASET. There are two ranges of black as I mentioned on a post yesterday with green sandwiched in between. So this is a facet on the border of the black green boudary - rather like the green red in ASET for 40.7-40.8 pavilion angles.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
That is not an ASET. There are two ranges of black as I mentioned on a post yesterday with green sandwiched in between. So this is a facet on the border of the black green boudary - rather like the green red in ASET for 40.7-40.8 pavilion angles.

I know it's not an AGS Angular Spectrum Evaluation Tool, but I postulate that it is some kind of angular spectrum contraption...I just don't know what GCAL officially refers to it as.
But I now see what you mean by the color variance reminiscent of the PA angle threshold that appears red or green in the AGS ASET.
About 5-6° pavilion painting on the one side?

Last edited:

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I know it's not an AGS Angular Spectrum Evaluation Tool, but I postulate that it is some kind of angular spectrum contraption...I just don't know what GCAL officially refers to it as.
But I now see what you mean by the color variance reminiscent of the PA angle threshold that appears red or green in the AGS ASET.
1658284794965.png

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Nope, that would have a large impact on the leakage pattern.
The leakage pattern(blue) is even around the stone.
That main is either near a threshold angle for the scope to change color or its an imaging problem.
The leakage pattern is blue in this image, this is the equivalent of white in IS and white/black in ASET.
That is the first thing I look at when judging painting/digging.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock

I know about the color variations for PA thresholds in the ASET, so I guess I'm a bit confused as to what you mean.

I thought you were referring to the variances shown that were depicting painting:

Screenshot_20220719-220748.png

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Nope, that would have a large impact on the leakage pattern.
The leakage pattern(blue) is even around the stone.
That main is either near a threshold angle for the scope to change color or its an imaging problem.
The leakage pattern is blue in this image, this is the equivalent of white in IS and white/black in ASET.
That is the first thing I look at when judging painting/digging.

Is there any leakage that is potentially degrading to the overall performance of this diamond?

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Is there any leakage that is potentially degrading to the overall performance of this diamond?
You know the answer to that one,,,, picture the blue as the white in IS.
Hint: normal pattern for mrb.
is.jpg

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I thought you were referring to the variances shown that were depicting painting:

Screenshot_20220719-220748.png
Blue circled areas are normal for this combination and can be seen on the leakage pattern image.
Not sure what you are getting at with the yellow circled areas?
Variation in the wings on the dots?
That is normal, no diamond is ever going to be perfectly cut they all have angle variations, yaw, and minor painting/digging. We know this one has some variation in the lowers. (heart image)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results