shape
carat
color
clarity

Need help with engagment diamond(Exchanging for better cut)

mwilliamanderson

Brilliant_Rock
this one looks nice too! Is there a visible difference from 0.9 to 0.95? im gonna try and get an asset on it.

Everyone here says it’s not a visible difference unless it’s .20 or more. Someone had a picture with 4 different sizes which I’ll post if I can find it.

mwilliamanderson

Brilliant_Rock
Here’s the photo @Kaycee2018 shared

For sure go for just under the 1ct mark! Here is a comparison pic of my .92ct earring, my old (and not-so-well cut) 1.01ct "steep deep" earring, the .96ct diamond above, and the 1.01ct diamond above.

Left to right:
.92ct earring= 6.21 x 6.23
1.01ct earring (steep/deep) = 6.28 x 6.32
.96ct Daimond 1 = 6.37 x 6.33
1.01ct Diamond 2 = 6.43 x 6.40

4daimcomp-jpg.711978

Sorry for my terrible photography skills. The earrings are probably not very clean and it islike herding cats trying to get them all lined up, etc. HTH!

Kaycee2018

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
https://www.b2cjewels.com/dd/127927...m_medium=referral&utm_campaign=pricescope.com

this one looks nice the table is 58 but the measurements actually are bigger than the .95! and its a g. What's the deal tho I see it listed on 3 different sites at different prices?

It is not uncommon for diamonds to be listed with different retailers. The diamonds are actually in possession of the supplier and they have agreements with various retailers to list their stones. It’s called drop shipping and it is very common and nothing to be alarmed about.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Buying a stone without any images or video is risky. If you can get pictures of any of the ones suggested above then they might be worth considering, but otherwise I wouldn't.

Reneli

Shiny_Rock
Buying a stone without any images or video is risky. If you can get pictures of any of the ones suggested above then they might be worth considering, but otherwise I wouldn't.

I was just thinking that! If I can't get anything images or assets am I better off sticking with the.95 I posted?

mwilliamanderson

Brilliant_Rock
this one looks nice the table is 58 but the measurements actually are bigger than the .95! and its a g. What's the deal tho I see it listed on 3 different sites at different prices?

Yes, the .95 has more weight in the crown and in the girdle.

Everyone can advertise virtual inventory. That’s why your jeweler has access to it as well. This is also why James Allen is making it hard to find the diamond certificate numbers. People were searching on their website to pick out a stone, then buying it for the cheapest price elsewhere.

If you can’t get images and if your jeweler calls in one of these stones for you to look at, I assume you could reject it? Probably should ask...I’m not familiar with your entire situation.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I heard that fluorescence can make an I color appear whiter, is this true with medium blue?
It's heavily debated whether that is true or not. But I certainly wouldn't expect it to look whiter than any other I color

Wewechew

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OP- I have a K with faint fluorescence. If I’m inside or in the shade it has no affect on the color of the stone. In direct sunlight I’m not really even sure it has any affect on color. All I can say is that the diamonds I have gravitated to in person the most, come to find out, tend to have fluorescence. Take that for what you will.

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
In my experience, a strong fluorescence outdoors made an L very whitish (to me). It's the stone in yellow gold. Inside it was a lovely ginger ale color. My I to the right is not fluorescent.
20190907_170926.jpg
another outdoors
20190905_135807.jpg
indoors
20190905_132541.jpg

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
Here’s the photo @Kaycee2018 shared

For sure go for just under the 1ct mark! Here is a comparison pic of my .92ct earring, my old (and not-so-well cut) 1.01ct "steep deep" earring, the .96ct diamond above, and the 1.01ct diamond above.

Left to right:
.92ct earring= 6.21 x 6.23
1.01ct earring (steep/deep) = 6.28 x 6.32
.96ct Daimond 1 = 6.37 x 6.33
1.01ct Diamond 2 = 6.43 x 6.40

4daimcomp-jpg.711978

Sorry for my terrible photography skills. The earrings are probably not very clean and it islike herding cats trying to get them all lined up, etc. HTH!

Oh, this is very helpful! Cool to see how close the stones are.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
As others noted there is some minor leakage in the first Adiamor stone you listed with the 35.5/40.6 combo. You are pushing the bounds of ideal so this isn't uncommon. It's not a perfect stone, but it's not a horrible stone either.

Below is a marked up version of the ASET you posted. The yellow circles show the white areas that reflect leakage. The blue circles identify "blotches" of green which is a sign the girdle has been manipulated.

If you are continuing to work with your local jeweler then your situation may be unique to what you can find online that they too can access for you in the store. Also, some of this comes down to you. Before I knew anything I posted a similar type diamond with only one tiny bit of leakage and I rejected it because I know me and while it would be better than most, it would drive me nuts knowing I didn't get the "best" possible. My situation was different than yours though, as I had freedom to shop wherever with no real time crunch.

20190916_070940.jpg

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
FYI shopping by carat weight alone can be dangerous. Mathematically, you use a combination of length, width and depth to calculate carat weight. Thinking about this further the exact proportions of each stone affects all those dimensions. Bigger tables with shallower crowns tend to be less deep and have more spread. Smaller tables and steep crowns tend to be deeper and not as much spread.

In addition to the proportions affecting size, it also effects the personality of a stone, so a stone may favor bigger bolder rainbow flashes or may have more brilliance and pin fire type light return or may be a balance of the two.

Shopping by spread (length and width) dimensions can be more fruitful if you are concerned with size. As noted, most people see a visual difference around the 0.20mm difference mark. That is approximately 1/128th of an inch. The difference is normally noticed in a side by side comparison and not a "OMG, it's so much bigger" type of experience.

The difference you asked about in the 0.90 and 0.95 stones was less than 0.10mm difference. Unless your visual acuity is higher than average I personally don't think it makes a discernible difference.

Reneli

Shiny_Rock
FYI shopping by carat weight alone can be dangerous. Mathematically, you use a combination of length, width and depth to calculate carat weight. Thinking about this further the exact proportions of each stone affects all those dimensions. Bigger tables with shallower crowns tend to be less deep and have more spread. Smaller tables and steep crowns tend to be deeper and not as much spread.

In addition to the proportions affecting size, it also effects the personality of a stone, so a stone may favor bigger bolder rainbow flashes or may have more brilliance and pin fire type light return or may be a balance of the two.

Shopping by spread (length and width) dimensions can be more fruitful if you are concerned with size. As noted, most people see a visual difference around the 0.20mm difference mark. That is approximately 1/128th of an inch. The difference is normally noticed in a side by side comparison and not a "OMG, it's so much bigger" type of experience.

The difference you asked about in the 0.90 and 0.95 stones was less than 0.10mm difference. Unless your visual acuity is higher than average I personally don't think it makes a discernible difference.

Sledge! thank you for your detailed write-up! I took your advice! I sat down with the salesperson and explained my situation. She was quite understanding, she said she would like the opportunity to find me the stone I want, and being that I have been dealing with her for almost two months I want to give her that chance. She stated that if the end of the month approaches and we cannot find something I like, she is not going to force something on me I dont want. She would like me to send her some GIA report numbers to see if she can acquire them. With that being said, would you mind suggesting some more stones so I can give her options to bring in? I guess my main priority now is ideal cut, eye clean so VS1 or VS2. I-H color. The Tricky thing is, I would like to see video of the diamond if at all possible before I ask her to bring them in.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sledge! thank you for your detailed write-up! I took your advice! I sat down with the salesperson and explained my situation. She was quite understanding, she said she would like the opportunity to find me the stone I want, and being that I have been dealing with her for almost two months I want to give her that chance. She stated that if the end of the month approaches and we cannot find something I like, she is not going to force something on me I dont want. She would like me to send her some GIA report numbers to see if she can acquire them. With that being said, would you mind suggesting some more stones so I can give her options to bring in? I guess my main priority now is ideal cut, eye clean so VS1 or VS2. I-H color. The Tricky thing is, I would like to see video of the diamond if at all possible before I ask her to bring them in.

You're welcome! And, I will take a peek and post a few alternates.

Earlier you asked about fluor and I never responded to that aspect. The diamond I bought my wife has medium blue. It's an H VS2 from Brian Gavin. He markets these as part of the Blue collection that basically has medium+ levels of fluor in H&A precision.

Here is a good crash course article on fluor:
https://www.whiteflash.com/about-di...ion/diamond-fluorescence-good-or-bad-1322.htm

The short & sweet is it can be good or bad or neither. In a small percentage of stones it can create a milky/hazy appearance. Normally this is found in stones with higher levels (strong or very strong) but it's not necessarily limited to them either. The last GIA study I read had it pegged like 97% of stones with fluor were okay, and that roughly about 3% were problematic.

One thing seems to be certain -- the public has astigmatism about buying stones with fluor, so they typically tend to trade for less money. This can help you score a bargain if you are open to the idea.

As far as how they effect color? It depends on the fluor levels and also the intensity of the UV light source. And many times when we discuss fluor and diamonds, the assumption is fluor is blue and the stone has a "yellow" tint. Reality is fluor doesn't have to be blue, although that is the most common. And while most stones do have a yellow tint, some can have brown or other colors. While blue can offset yellow tones to make a whiter appearance, the same effect may not hold true different combinations of fluor and/or stone tints.

Even if you did pick up some color benefit in the right scenarios, those would be fairly limited. I know with my wife's stone I don't consider the MBF as good or bad. I wouldn't personally seek out MBF but I wouldn't avoid it either. If I were to buy it again, I'd expect a discounted price just like I got the first time as I know the market isn't as accepting and knowledgeable about it as many people that hang out here. If discounted properly, this makes them a potential good bang for the buck IMO.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here's a few that interest me that I found on virtual inventory and may be good picks.

GIA XXX 0.86 H IF @ $4,502
https://www.adiamor.com/Diamonds/0....4.502&p=0&utm_source=rarecarat&utm_medium=cpc

Lovely proportions -- 57 table, 61 depth, 34.5 crown, 40.8 pavilion & 75 LGF. :love:

Oh yeah, a 1.2 HCA to boot.

While I rarely recommend such high clarity, I was just looking for something in your color, price and size range and this happened to pop up. What caught my attention most was the proportions. I'd ask Adiamor if they can get you an ASET and H&A view to confirm light performance and symmetry. They may be able to provide something. But these proportions are very promising.

GIA XXX 0.91 F VS2 @ $4,418
https://www.yadavjewelry.com/diamond/round-diamond-0.91-carat-f-vs2-yd6896185
https://www.withclarity.com/diamond...Excellent?utm_source=rarecarat&utm_medium=cpc

Yadav has the slightly better price.

56 table, 61.9 depth, 35 crown, 40.6 pavilion & 75 LGF. And a 0.9 HCA.

Things that immediately pop out are you get a little more carat weight, although very minimal spread difference. Still hitting the 0.90+ mark can be important for some people. More so, the F color stands out to me. The expense is the clarity which is VS2, but still very good. My concern is the video shows what appears to be a black crystal near the smack dab middle of the table. The video is blown up and my guess is the stone is eye clean, but you definitely need to confirm that before moving forward.

Also, this stone has MBF. While many like fluor, some also dislike it in higher colors such as D-F. Personally, if it were me the fluor wouldn't bother me as long as there were no negative effects previously discussed.

Again, I would push very hard to get an ASET and H&A image of these stone in question. Ask both vendors. The proportions are very promising but again, the assurance of the images helps nail it down IMO.

Reneli

Shiny_Rock
Ooh, that 0.86 sounds like its fabulous!! I reached out to them but the asset and H&A were not available. I did ask for a video of the stone though. In a situation like this, are the proportions good enough to purchase without the proper images? Earlier in the thread, you stated that the difference in a 0.90 and 0.95 stone was less than 0.10mm difference. does that still apply with the 0.86 & 0.95? For my girlfriend hitting the 0.9 mark isn't the end all be all but she did see a stone that was 0.81 and mentioned it looked small in comparison.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ooh, that 0.86 sounds like its fabulous!! I reached out to them but the asset and H&A were not available. I did ask for a video of the stone though. In a situation like this, are the proportions good enough to purchase without the proper images? Earlier in the thread, you stated that the difference in a 0.90 and 0.95 stone was less than 0.10mm difference. does that still apply with the 0.86 & 0.95? For my girlfriend hitting the 0.9 mark isn't the end all be all but she did see a stone that was 0.81 and mentioned it looked small in comparison.

Likely the difference between a .86 and .95 will be noticeable, but not hugely so. If she thought a .81 looked small, I would try to shoot for .9 and over (like the .91 options that @sledge mentioned)

EDIT. the difference between the spread of the .86 and .95 isn't too big (less than the .2 we usually say is noticeable), but I stick by the advice to shoot for .9 and above since you know she found a .81 small.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Below are exact measurements for each stone:
  • 0.95 stone = 6.28 x 6.23 x 3.89mm
  • 0.91 stone = 6.17 x 6.21 x 3.84mm
  • 0.86 stone = 6.14 x 6.17 x 3.75mm
As you can see, there is 0.03 x 0.04mm difference in the 0.86 and 0.91 stones. Essentially nothing that will ever be visible to the naked eye.

When you jump between the 0.86 and 0.95 stones you get a 0.14 x 0.06mm difference, or a 0.11 x 0.9mm difference -- depending how you read & compare the dimensions. For talking purposes, I'd say there is approximately 0.10mm difference between the 0.86 and 0.95 stones, which is about 1/256th inch.

I'm not saying your girl can't or won't see the difference but I find it very hard to believe she would ever notice the difference in any real world scenario, except in a side by side comparison. And if she can spot those sort of differences, I wouldn't dare exaggerate to her about any other length measurements. ;)2:lol-2:

Maybe this helps?

https://www.diamdb.com/compare/0.95ct-round-6.28x6.23x3.89-vs-0.86ct-round-6.17x6.14x3.75/

Capture.PNG

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ooh, that 0.86 sounds like its fabulous!! I reached out to them but the asset and H&A were not available. I did ask for a video of the stone though. In a situation like this, are the proportions good enough to purchase without the proper images?

You may ask them if an idealscope (IS) image is available since the others weren't. The IS image will show us leakage, but I prefer the ASET when possible because it shows us a little more.

That said, you know the other stone has some leakage. There is a chance this stone doesn't have leakage. And I happen to be very fond of the 34.5/40.8 combo. I've seen 1 or 2 bad ASET's with that combo but it usually doesn't happen.

So for me, if the stone is available with your local jeweler -- I'd be willing to take a gamble on it. All this hinging on the size factor you mentioned. If it's not the right size, don't waste your time.

Of course, I own an ASET scope and would take that to the jeweler shop with me to confirm with my own eyes what I'm getting once it arrived. And I would have conversations with the jeweler ahead of time that you think this may be the one, but since no advanced images are available you want the sale to be conditioned upon a passing ASET once it arrives.

You can buy a scope for $50 from AGS directly, or from a PS vendor that participates/helps members here, David Atlas.

https://www.americangemsociety.org/page/newhandheldaset

https://datlas.com/ideal-scope-store/

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A picture of what the ASET scope looks like:
20180720_100305.jpg

A picture of my wife's 0.867 H VS2 w/ custom designed e-ring. Granted, it has those little swoops around it that gives a halo effect of sorts, but it continues to wow people as she is constantly getting compliments and people think it's much larger than it really is.

FYI, this stone had proportions that allowed it to measure 6.18 x 6.21, which is more typical of a 0.90+ carat stone.

https://www.briangavindiamonds.com/...0.867-h-vs2-round-diamond-ags-bl-104098623002

DKJPV_0629_WR-1.jpg

Reneli

Shiny_Rock
Likely the difference between a .86 and .95 will be noticeable, but not hugely so. If she thought a .81 looked small, I would try to shoot for .9 and over (like the .91 options that @sledge mentioned)

EDIT. the difference between the spread of the .86 and .95 isn't too big (less than the .2 we usually say is noticeable), but I stick by the advice to shoot for .9 and above since you know she found a .81 small.

well, the original stone she picked out was a 0.91 so I think 0.86 is in the ballpark. I would sacrifice a bit of size for that thing to spit fire!:lol: above all else, she said she wants it to be sparkly lol

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
well, the original stone she picked out was a 0.91 so I think 0.86 is in the ballpark. I would sacrifice a bit of size for that thing to spit fire!:lol: above all else, she said she wants it to be sparkly lol
Ok cool, then yes .86 is definitely in the ballpark! I wasn't sure if she thought a .81 was small, but a 1ct was perfect.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If she's good with 0.86 I'd be jumping on the H IF. Great proportions, good color and while the clarity is overkill, I do like high clarity stones.

All in your budget to boot.

Fingers crossed your jeweler can get it for you.

Reneli

Shiny_Rock
A picture of what the ASET scope looks like:
20180720_100305.jpg

A picture of my wife's 0.867 H VS2 w/ custom designed e-ring. Granted, it has those little swoops around it that gives a halo effect of sorts, but it continues to wow people as she is constantly getting compliments and people think it's much larger than it really is.

FYI, this stone had proportions that allowed it to measure 6.18 x 6.21, which is more typical of a 0.90+ carat stone.

https://www.briangavindiamonds.com/...0.867-h-vs2-round-diamond-ags-bl-104098623002

DKJPV_0629_WR-1.jpg

Man, you guys rock!!!!! I am so much more informed! I appreciate you and everyone else that has commented on this thread! If it's available, I think I want to go with the .86. I will sacrifice the tiny bit of size for it to spitfire :lol:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results