shape
carat
color
clarity

Need help with engagment diamond(Exchanging for better cut)

Reneli

Shiny_Rock
You're very welcome.

It's not a Direct Diamonds is it? If so, we have a local one and they are pretty decent. Me and the manager talk shop when I take my wife's BGD super ideal in there for routine cleaning. He found me intriguing I went AGS000 instead of GIA XXX and bought online vs in person.

I was just thankful that's the only odd things he noticed about me, lol.

Seriously though, not sure the chain, but be careful. As @lovedogs noted, some of the chains try to slip in EGL or IGI certified stones, which isn't a comparable stone -- at least in the US because both those labs are inferior in their grading reliability.

Can you weigh in on the diamond I posted sledge?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oops, sorry I just went back and saw the GIA report. I also copied and pasted wrong measurements.

It should be:
able: 54-57
Depth: 60-62.4
Crown: 34-35 (can be up to 35.5 with a pavilion angle of 40.6)
Pavillion: 40.6-40.9

That stone had a 41 crown angle, and that is on the risky side because it is above 40.9. It is giving you a very good on scintillation. It should be excellent. Please stay within the numbers above. I wouldn't accept this one.

Reneli

Shiny_Rock
Man... The Sellers is saying they currently only have one diamond available that meets my criteria :(
if thats my only option would it be a horrible choice?

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm not crazy about the proportions but yes they could work. In fact some like the 34/41 combo. The problem is the pavilion is risky.

In reality you have 8 crown and 8 pavilion values. Bit when you look at a report you just see one. This is because GIA averages the actuals and then rounds the crown to the nearest 0.5 and the pavilion to the nearest 0.2.

My concern is you get a 41.2 actual which is where wonky things happen. It's very possible and the reason I warn against it.

To be considered I'd want a SARIN report that provides detailed data about all actual measurements. Also I'd want an ASET and hearts image.

On a different note, why can't you just get a refund? If they are holding your money hostage call your credit card company and ask them to reverse the charges and return the merchandise, assuming you haven't already.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This option isn't a bad one, but it shows how few high quality stones they have, and that's just silly. Did you sign anythjng agreeing that it was a final sale? There's typically a return policy at RB that it's awful.

Reneli

Shiny_Rock
I'm not crazy about the proportions but yes they could work. In fact some like the 34/41 combo. The problem is the pavilion is risky.

In reality you have 8 crown and 8 pavilion values. Bit when you look at a report you just see one. This is because GIA averages the actuals and then rounds the crown to the nearest 0.5 and the pavilion to the nearest 0.2.

My concern is you get a 41.2 actual which is where wonky things happen. It's very possible and the reason I warn against it.

To be considered I'd want a SARIN report that provides detailed data about all actual measurements. Also I'd want an ASET and hearts image.

On a different note, why can't you just get a refund? If they are holding your money hostage call your credit card company and ask them to reverse the charges and return the merchandise, assuming you haven't already.

Damn! unfortunately I signed paperwork that said final sale on the original diamond :( i thought i was getting a good stone. there were two transactions my 1,000 deposit and then the remaning balance so i would esentiall have to get two charges reversed. :confused:

Reneli

Shiny_Rock
This option isn't a bad one, but it shows how few high quality stones they have, and that's just silly. Did you sign anythjng agreeing that it was a final sale? There's typically a return policy at RB that it's awful.

Unfortunately, I did sign a no return because I negotiated them down on the diamond by a significant amount. What's the difference between a traditional GIA report and a Dossier report?

Reneli

Shiny_Rock
Ahhhhh! Im in a tough spot ::)

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Unfortunately, I did sign a no return because I negotiated them down on the diamond by a significant amount. What's the difference between a traditional GIA report and a Dossier report?

They may have you locked in, but I'd just ask to speak with the manager. Calmly explain the situation, and how you were more than willing to work with them to get a different diamond; however, you have been told that is not possible as this 34/41 is the only option available, which also isn't acceptable.

If they set the prior stone in a setting, I'd offer to pay them a few hundred bucks for their efforts but otherwise just let them know you aren't happy, they can't provide a diamond that will make you happy and you want them to refund you (regardless of what you signed, etc) because it's the right thing to do.

For your other question -- a dossier is just a more condensed report that does NOT have a clarity plot included. More details here:

https://www.gia.edu/gem-lab-service/diamond-grading

Example - dossier
Diamond-Dossier-2141438171-2.jpg

Example - full report
Diamond-Grading-Report-2141438167-2.jpg

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Definitely the adiamor one. The b2c one doesn't have #s in the recommended ranges.

Reneli

Shiny_Rock
Definitely the adiamor one. The b2c one doesn't have #s in the recommended ranges.

Lovedogs! I was hoping ypu would respond. Should i worry about the 35.5 Crown angle?
This diamond is listed on 3 sites one of them had an asset image but i don't know how to read it. can you help?
12637861_asset.jpg

Reneli

Shiny_Rock

Wewechew

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for chiming in! How do you feel about I color? is it too low? do you feel it will look warm?
It depends how color intolerant you are. I can see color up to an H.

I recently upgraded my I, which I could see warmth in. However, I would have held onto my I if it had fluorescence, over a higher color that didn’t. But I LOVE the effect fluorescence has on a stone. This is all to say, I can see color in an I, but it doesn’t drive me nuts.

If I were you, I would see if you can place a hold on this diamond, but continue to have the jeweler look for a higher color stone if it’s in your budget.

Wewechew

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lovedogs! I was hoping ypu would respond. Should i worry about the 35.5 Crown angle?
This diamond is listed on 3 sites one of them had an asset image but i don't know how to read it. can you help?
12637861_asset.jpg
The diamond is going to have some leakage. But I still think it would out perform 90% of the diamonds out there.

Last edited:

Reneli

Shiny_Rock
It depends how color intolerant you are. I can see color up to an H.

I recently upgraded my I, which I could see warmth in. However, I would have held onto my I if it had fluorescence, over a higher color that didn’t. But I LOVE the effect fluorescence has on a stone. This is all to say, I can see color in an I, but it doesn’t drive me nuts.

If I were you, I would see if you can place a hold on this diamond, but continue to have the jeweler look for a higher color stone if it’s in your budget.

It is also going to be set in a gold band if that makes any difference. to be honest with you I had i and a G side by side and it was really hard for me to tell.

also do you have any thoughts on the asset image I posted? I don't know how to interpret it.

Reneli

Shiny_Rock
The diamond is going to have some leakage. But I still think it would put perform 90% of the diamonds out there.

that's good to know! the Crown angle is 35.5, not ideal. should i be concerned?

Wewechew

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is also going to be set in a gold band if that makes any difference. to be honest with you I had i and a G side by side and it was really hard for me to tell.
Then an I will be fine for you. I could see the difference in tint between an H and I in a blind test.

I mentioned above my thoughts on the asset.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The diamond is going to have some leakage. But I still think it would put perform 90% of the diamonds out there.
Agreed. It's not going to perform like a super ideal stone, but it will perform better than a vast majority.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@sledge and @lovedogs would be better able to answer that :geek2:
The only reason to be concerned is if you don't have an ASET/IS to confirm performance. you have one, and it shows some leakage. It's not a perfect stone, but you're in a tough spot trying to find something that your jeweler can access.

Reneli

Shiny_Rock
The only reason to be concerned is if you don't have an ASET/IS to confirm performance. you have one, and it shows some leakage. It's not a perfect stone, but you're in a tough spot trying to find something that your jeweler can access.

Agreed!!!

Wewechew

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hello,

on man i didn't even see that notification let me check it out :D
Unless you can get an aset on this one, I still prefer the first I you found.

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results