shape
carat
color
clarity

Need help choosing a diamond size for my lady

cattitude

Rough_Rock
Hi folks! First time poster here. So I am looking to get a platinum, 6-prong solitaire engagement ring for my future fiancee. She has tiny fingers and her ring finger size is between 3 and 3.25 (I snooped her jewelry box when she went to work :) ) and she had said at least twice that if she ever got a ring, she wouldn't want a large stone because she wants something delicate and less blingy. I have no concept what exactly a "huge" stone is in her mind, but it seems like her personal rings w/ stones all have small-ish stones (I'd say around .4 - .6).

So after some shopping around, here are the three round brilliant cut diamonds I will be choosing from, in the order of least expensive - most expensive.

First option:
0.58 carat
I color
VS2 clarity
Triple Excellent cut

Second option:
0.48 carat
G color
VS1 clarity
Triple Excellent cut

Third option
0.72 carat
D color
VS1 clarity
Triple Excellent cut

The first and second option are similar in price, with the second option $100 more expensive, but the 3rd option is almost $1600 more than the first two.

I don't have any photos, but the I color is very obviously tinted when compared side-by-side to G color in daylight, but G color looks really nice on its own. I want to get her the 3rd option as the stone is bigger and the color is better, but I don't want her to think the stone is "too big". I don't want to waste money either if she doesn't end up loving it.

Could folks help me to decide on which option to pick for my lovely lady with her tiny size 3 finger? Many thanks in advance.

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
she wouldn't want a large stone
]

She's modest. Go with a solitaire setting as planed. For the size, THE BIGGEST you can afford!! 6.0mm stone is perfectly fine on 3.0~3.25 finger size. No lady says no to a big stone.
What is your budget? Since you are considering 0.72 D VS1, 3k? 4k?

With such budget for diamond only, I would go for a 0.8~0.9c H/G VS2/SI1.

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi cattitude (love your name). If you could post the dimensions of those stones: table and depth percentage, and crown and pavilion angles and/or link to the certificates you will enable the experts to more quickly weigh in on your options.

Do you have a budget for the stone and/or complete ring? What kind of setting are you thinking?

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Diamonds have a way of shrinking once you've had them on your finger for a little while. I would go with your largest size.
About what size do you think her friends rings are? Sisters? What's norm in your neck of the woods for someone your age?

We usually recommend that you go with a size that is similar to above (IF it's in your budget). No problem with going smaller
if it's not.

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
tyty333|1471909084|4068780 said:
Diamonds have a way of shrinking once you've had them on your finger for a little while.
AMEN

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would recommend 6mm to 6.5mm. So a kittle over 80 points to a carat.

H Vs2/si1

cattitude

Rough_Rock
Ah, I am gonna work on getting those tomorrow. Will update!

cattitude

Rough_Rock
There was one time I got her a Pandora amethyst ring that has a solitaire large gemstone on it. She loved it for a while and then stopped wearing it because she said the gem was too big and uncomfortable. I'd roughly guess that gem is like a 0.7 - 0.8 carat equivalent in size. She's usually pretty assertive on what she likes and it seems like she just doesn't like wearing diamond jewelry overall, and when she does, she usually opts for smaller stones. I don't want to get something that's too big for her liking so she would stop wearing it.

As for the budget, I have $3.5k that will include the setting price.

I am going to get the measurements/reports tomorrow to post it! Thank you.

cattitude

Rough_Rock
ringo865|1471904990|4068753 said:
Do you have a budget for the stone and/or complete ring? What kind of setting are you thinking?
The budget is 3.5k and the setting would be a 2mm platinum, 6-prong solitaire. I've been looking at the Tiffany-style knife-edged ones as they are considered classic, but not too old-schooled in style. I wouldn't pay for an actual Tiffany ring though. So probably either have the setting custom made or get it from a jeweler that does Tiffany-style replica or look-alike.

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
cattitude|1471913615|4068805 said:
The budget is 3.5k and the setting would be a 2mm platinum, 6-prong solitaire. I've been looking at the Tiffany-style knife-edged ones as they are considered classic, but not too old-schooled in style. I wouldn't pay for an actual Tiffany ring though. So probably either have the setting custom made or get it from a jeweler that does Tiffany-style replica or look-alike.

are you ok with shopping online?
We can find a setting and a well cut diamond in no time.

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This makes me think that the setting may matter as much as the stone. I have friend that sounds similar and she wears a three-stone, bezel set ring (0.5 center with [email protected] sides). She choose this as each stone is smaller, so they sit lower. She wears a ring like this every day and only brings out her larger (2c) ring for night's out.

Posted to show style, not endorse seller.
threestonebezel.jpg
ring-3-round-stones-m.jpg

What kind of rings does she wear?

cattitude

Rough_Rock
tyty333|1471909084|4068780 said:
Diamonds have a way of shrinking once you've had them on your finger for a little while. I would go with your largest size.
About what size do you think her friends rings are? Sisters? What's norm in your neck of the woods for someone your age?

We usually recommend that you go with a size that is similar to above (IF it's in your budget). No problem with going smaller
if it's not.

I have no idea what her friends rings are like... I don't normally pay attention to them and I don't think she does either. She has a pinterest board for just about everything for her dream wedding, ranging from flowers to dresses, poem readings & except there is no board for an engagement ring nor wedding ring. Nada. Her cousin confirmed this. She also has never expressed interest in any diamond rings nor have I ever seen her commenting on her friends' rings on or off social media. Her favorite ring to wear is this natural non-polished emerald ring that has a super tiny gem, like maybe 1/3 carat... that's why I think she might appreciate a smaller, dainty stone. I think my goal is for her to love her ring, rather for her to show off to her friends because she really isn't the type that drools over other people's jewelry or compare her stuff with others'. Maybe I should consider myself lucky, lol.

cattitude

Rough_Rock
flyingpig|1471913715|4068806 said:
cattitude|1471913615|4068805 said:

are you ok with shopping online?
We can find a setting and a well cut diamond in no time.

I know a lot of online sites have good stones. But I am trying to buy it from a reputable local jeweler because he's my future best man's brother and we are trying to bring him business.

cattitude

Rough_Rock
rockysalamander|1471914238|4068808 said:
This makes me think that the setting may matter as much as the stone. I have friend that sounds similar and she wears a three-stone, bezel set ring (0.5 center with [email protected] sides). She choose this as each stone is smaller, so they sit lower. She wears a ring like this every day and only brings out her larger (2c) ring for night's out.

Posted to show style, not endorse seller.
threestonebezel.jpg
ring-3-round-stones-m.jpg

What kind of rings does she wear?

This setting looks really cool! I am going to add that to my consideration. Although I have never seen her wearing a ring with more than 1 gem/stone on it. She either wears plain bands or solitaires that have a 1/3 ct sized stone.

cattitude

Rough_Rock
Hi cattitude (love your name). If you could post the dimensions of those stones: table and depth percentage, and crown and pavilion angles and/or link to the certificates you will enable the experts to more quickly weigh in on your options.

So I got the info back earlier than expected. Just texted my friend and texted his brother (the jeweler) who pulled up the info for us.

So the specs are listed below:

First option:
0.58 carat
I color
VS2 clarity
Triple Excellent cut
5.36-5.39 x 3.32mm
Depth %: 61.8%
Table %: 57%
Crown Height %: 15.0%
Crown angle: 35.0
Pavillion angle: 41.2
Girdle: Thin - Medium faceted 3.0%
Culet: none
Fluorescence: none

Second option:
0.48 carat
G color
VS1 clarity
Triple Excellent cut
5.04-5.09 x 3.11mm
Depth %: 61.4%
Table %: 56%
Crown height %: 14.8%
Crown angle: 34.2
Pavilion angle: 40.8
Girdle: Thin - Slightly Thick, faceted

Third option
0.72 carat
D color
VS1 clarity
Triple Excellent cut
5.74-5.76 x 3.56mm
Depth %: 61.9%
Crown height %: 15.5%
Pavillion angle: 40.8
Girdle: Medium faceted 3.5%

mcosme

Shiny_Rock

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Third option
0.72 carat
D color
VS1 clarity
Triple Excellent cut
5.74-5.76 x 3.56mm
Fluorescence: none[/quote]

GIA graded stone? If yes then I'll take #3 based on its specs.

SeekingClarity

Shiny_Rock
istase2000 said:
Would you consider the setting in the post below? I think that ring is so beautiful and dainty and is only half carat! (Sorry I don't think you want to buy online but you can use it for reference)

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/mark-morrell-slim-petite-torchiere-with-0-5ct-whiteflash-aca.208844/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/mark-morrell-slim-petite-torchiere-with-0-5ct-whiteflash-aca.208844/[/URL]

That's a beautiful setting!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cattitude

Rough_Rock
Dancing Fire|1471930661|4068881 said:
Third option
0.72 carat
D color
VS1 clarity
Triple Excellent cut
5.74-5.76 x 3.56mm

GIA graded stone? If yes then I'll take #3 based on its specs.[/quote]

But have you read my reasoning in previous posts on why I think she might not wear it after a while? She doesn't like any large stones (and "large stone" is subjective, but her "large" seems to be anything bigger than .5)... I just don't want the situation of which I get her a ring that's perfect to me (and a lot of women I'd believe) but would be too large for her. I don't want the ring to end up sitting in a box and never get worn. She doesn't wear most of the jewelry I've bought her - if she doesn't like it, she won't wear it.

Another reason is that for option 3, I can afford it, but that will deplete my entire budget. It will be nice to save that $1500 and put it forward to other budgets in the future wedding (if she said yes of course).

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
SeekingClarity|1471930786|4068882 said:
istase2000 said:
Would you consider the setting in the post below? I think that ring is so beautiful and dainty and is only half carat! (Sorry I don't think you want to buy online but you can use it for reference)

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/mark-morrell-slim-petite-torchiere-with-0-5ct-whiteflash-aca.208844/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/mark-morrell-slim-petite-torchiere-with-0-5ct-whiteflash-aca.208844/[/URL]

That's a beautiful setting!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That setting is WAY over a 3k budget. It's a 2k setting as a minimum.

I get wanting to recommend the best for our posters, but recently people have been posting Victor halos settings for people with 6k budgets every time a halo is mentioned (A Victor halo starts at 4.5k at best). And now we have a MWM setting being recommended for someone with a 3k budget.

I appreciate everyone's enthusiasm, but please make sure you understand the cost of settings you are recommending. All it does is make people with modest budgets feel bad if they can't afford the gorgeous things you've posted for them.

Polished

Brilliant_Rock
I agree about the cost of the MWM solitaire that would eat up the small budget. It does give an example though of how nice a .5 diamond can look in a solitaire setting on a small finger.

Cattitude you've come up with sound reasons for thinking that your lady would appreciate an engagement ring with a smaller stone. A .5ish stone is where she might be happy.

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have you discussed with her what she has in her mind for an engagement ring? Perhaps she doesn't even want a ring. Or she might prefer a small eternity or half eternity. Or diamond earrings. Or a necklace. Instead of a ring? Just curious as to what her expectations might be.

lissyflo

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
If you're really not sure of what you girlfriend would like, would you consider proposing without a ring? I know everyone is different and some women may not like that, but my husband knew I'd rather be involved in picking my own ring. He made sure that the day itself was special, romantic and memorable but actually proposed with only a plastic ring. I'd never wear it out of the house (it looks truly hideous!) but it takes pride of place in my jewellery box and makes me smile whenever I open the box and see it. Being asked to marry someone is special enough in itself - the jewellery that goes with it is the icing on the cake, it doesn't need to be the main event!

And just to say - don't worry in the future if whatever ring/jewellery you end up choosing doesn't get worn for a while. I picked my ring myself with my husband and love it, but went through a period of a good few years when my children were very young when I practically never wore it and just used my wedding band. When you're changing nappies, sterilising things, endlessly playing with playdo and so washing your hands 50 times a day, any ring can become a pain! It didn't mean I didn't love it, it was just way more practical to do without it for a while.

Good luck with whatever you decide!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are you 100% about buying from the jeweler you know? Not to disparage him/her AT ALL, but just wondering. Also, how do you feel about future upgrades? What I'm getting at with those 2 questions is trying to see whether it might make sense to consider whiteflash as a vendor since: 1) you could get something beautiful within the size/budget you would like, and 2) it would give her/you the option to "upgrade" in size in the future if you so choose. You'd be surprised how quickly "shrinkage" can set in :) and what I like about WF is their upgrade policy is a great one and makes it feasible to do so. And even if you never use the upgrade policy, you'll be able to get something beautiful within budget. Just a thought :) Good luck and keep us posted!

poppins

Rough_Rock
Hi,
+1 on considering possibilities of upgrading. I have a smaller stone (less than 0.5) and when it was bought never thought that I'd want to go bigger. But now a few years later,well, I could easily have considered say 0.6. And it would still be a small stone in the US. How uncomfortable if feels really mostly depends on the setting style more than stone size in itself. With possibility to upgrade no doors are shut if she wants a bigger stone down the road.

nyquestioner

Shiny_Rock
Is the small, delicate preference an aesthetic thing or a comfort thing? Because if it's a comfort thing, it might be more important to have the diamond set as low as possible than to have any particular size.

I also think Lissyflo had a good idea for you. Considering that she has no ring pins on her extensive wedding pinterest, your girlfriend doesn't seem like the type who would be disappointed with a ringless proposal. Maybe have your friend the jeweler set aside a few diamonds and settings in your price range and go together after the proposal. Or she may let you know that she wants an eternity ring, a gemstone ring, or no engagement ring at all.

cattitude

Rough_Rock
lovedogs|1471962856|4068987 said:
Are you 100% about buying from the jeweler you know? Not to disparage him/her AT ALL, but just wondering. Also, how do you feel about future upgrades? What I'm getting at with those 2 questions is trying to see whether it might make sense to consider whiteflash as a vendor since: 1) you could get something beautiful within the size/budget you would like, and 2) it would give her/you the option to "upgrade" in size in the future if you so choose. You'd be surprised how quickly "shrinkage" can set in :) and what I like about WF is their upgrade policy is a great one and makes it feasible to do so. And even if you never use the upgrade policy, you'll be able to get something beautiful within budget. Just a thought :) Good luck and keep us posted!

I am fairly certain I would want to buy from the jeweler we know. My girlfriend also is into supporting local jewelers as all of her jewelries were either made by local jewelers or independent jewelers on Etsy. Future upgrade is a definitely psossible, right now I am mostly searching a ring that she would wear everyday instead of not wanting to wear it either because the stone is too large and too "blingy" or because it's uncomfortable to her. I will look into WF, thanks for the recommendation, but most likely I would be purchasing from the local jeweler :)

cattitude

Rough_Rock
ringo865|1471954046|4068930 said:
Have you discussed with her what she has in her mind for an engagement ring? Perhaps she doesn't even want a ring. Or she might prefer a small eternity or half eternity. Or diamond earrings. Or a necklace. Instead of a ring? Just curious as to what her expectations might be.
Hmmmm. It is possible. She seems content with the rings she currently have from her personal jewelry box. We did talk about an engagement ring at least twice, but only in passing comments. She said if I ever got her a ring, she would not want a large stone. She has small fingers and I feel like anything above 1/2 ct would seem large to her, but I also don't know for sure. Now I am just trying to figure out what exactly is considered "large" to her without ruining the surprise by asking her :(

cattitude

Rough_Rock
I think you might be onto something here. It definitely sounds like a nice idea for a ringless proposal, and just be honest with her to tell her I don't know what she wanted and didn't want to buy a ring she doesn't like.

Wombats

Shiny_Rock
I was effectively proposed to twice. Once without the ring. We then shopped and designed the ring together. Then once with the ring. Both memorable!
I know quite a few people who don't have diamond engagement rings. All beautiful simple rings, which often double as wedding bands and typically are designed by local jewellers or silversmiths. One was proposes to with a necklace, as a surgeon she simply doesn't wear a ring. Lots of options

Good luck

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results