shape
carat
color
clarity

Need an expert opinion on this 3ct cushion cut diamond?

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
I am sorry but all these diamonds are simply not appealing!! Please please don't settle because you are just going to end up with another horror story. You should check out a second hand stone or a true old stone.

Your setting can accomdate 0.5 mm smaller - I am pretty sure based on my experience with many halo settings. I don't think it can go bigger though or else it will start overlapping too much and not looking good. I think 0.5 mm smaller will actually be a better fit.

Options .. fork out a bit more because in the long run .. it will make you feel better. OR just get a nicely cut CZ or ASHA (tons available) to propose with .... then continue your search for the diamond then replace it.

ETA: Don't know what this looks like but it could work. Contact them and ask for a photo. Size should work.
http://www.oldworlddiamonds.com/inv_details.php?ID=985&SHAPE=OM&PAGE=3

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium
CharmyPoo said:
I am sorry but all these diamonds are simply not appealing!! Please please don't settle because you are just going to end up with another horror story. You should check out a second hand stone or a true old stone.

Your setting can accomdate 0.5 mm smaller - I am pretty sure based on my experience with many halo settings. I don't think it can go bigger though or else it will start overlapping too much and not looking good. I think 0.5 mm smaller will actually be a better fit.

Options .. fork out a bit more because in the long run .. it will make you feel better. OR just get a nicely cut CZ or ASHA (tons available) to propose with .... then continue your search for the diamond then replace it.

ETA: Don't know what this looks like but it could work. Contact them and ask for a photo. Size should work.
http://www.oldworlddiamonds.com/inv_details.php?ID=985&SHAPE=OM&PAGE=3

I agree with CharmyPoo. She has one BEAUTIFUL 1.5 8 main modern cushion and it's one of the few modern cushions that I've found appealing (it looks a lot like the first stone you have).

If you are considering changing shape (at one point you considered a RB) I would also look at the AVR and the AVC. They do have a 3 carat J that is in your budget (30k for the stone). I'm not sure if this has been posted yet but this is a 3.07 J VS2 for wire price of just a few dollars over 30k
http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/7435/

Ravens25

Rough_Rock
If you don't mind me asking, as I'm starting to look at cushions albeit not in the same size, what don't you like about the two stones posted with ASET pictures? From what I've read Cushion Brilliants are superior to Modified Brilliants based on the large flashes and light reflections. However, I think I prefer the smaller flashes, just not a watery crushed glass look.

Both stones look pretty bright to me? Would these be considered the higher end of the modified brilliants? Or, are these stones more of the watery look with bad performance?

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Raven: It's all a matter of personal preference. However if you like the smaller flashes I would really check out the cushette (I owned this first and then upgraded later to an AVC bc I LOVE old cuts but the cushette was beautiful).

Here is a really good thread to help you out :)
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/how-to-select-cushion-cut-diamond.157927/#post-2872038#p2872038']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/how-to-select-cushion-cut-diamond.157927/#post-2872038#p2872038[/URL]

iota15

Brilliant_Rock
Raven, Walla,

The first stone actually does have a nice Aset. If I had to choose between the two, I'd pick the first one.

My concerns would be:

1. whether there's highly visible leakage (or runny-ness) on a minor tilt? See the concentric ring around the table on the Aset and the pictures? It seems to heighten the I color and may be mushy under the table on a slight tilt. While there will always be some leakage with a tilt, even in well cut stones, I have a feeling this one tilts badly - even on a slight angle. Perhaps that's why this vendor is pushing you to the other ones. (Depending on who you're speaking to at ERD, they may not be able to articulate what they're seeing as I've put it above - try speaking to Mark).

2. Perhaps this is a personal preference, but unfortunately, that first stone just doesn't sing to me. There's nothing wrong with it's facet structure per se, it's just not that appealing to my eye but again, this is a personal preference.

With respect to 8-main stones, or modifieds or whatnot - you do not need an 8-main for a cushion to look good. Some 8-mains do not look good, but of course, some do (like Charmy's delight). Find one that appeals to you, especially since this is a lot of money. You've expressed an interest in an older cut stone. I guess they're not finding many?

iota15

Brilliant_Rock
I know I've posted this stone before from Leon. It's a 3.05 G Si1 - and yes, the eye-cleaniless and inclusions have to be checked, especially the feathers, which are generally not a problem if they've survived the cutting process.

However, it is an 8-main, chunky style cushion that's almost colorless. Leon has the AGS cert as well as a video of it posted: http://www.micropave.com/index.php/diamonds/3-05-g-si1-cushion-diamond.html

From what I remember, ERD and Leon are practically across the street from each other. See if ERD can get it for you to compare - maybe Leon and Mark can work out some sort of deal (I don't know if they can or would be willing). Otherwise, I heard Perry is quite a pleasure to work with at Leon's, although I've never dealt with him directly.

WallaWalla3

Rough_Rock
FYI. I got a picture of the G SI1. Concerning eye cleanliness, what do you think?
GSI1.jpg

slg47

Ideal_Rock
ok that one is by far the winner. it's gorgeous! ask vendor about eye-clean and if it will work in your setting.

brina_ca

Rough_Rock
WallaWalla3|1302806957|2896035 said:
FYI. I got a picture of the G SI1. Concerning eye cleanliness, what do you think?

Amazing! What specs?

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
I like this last diamond much better!! I think it should be ok ... but would want to see it in person.

Rock-a-Fella

Rough_Rock
Walla -

I have been following your saga, and I feel your pain...especially being up against a deadline. Don't settle now. It will eat at you every time you see the ring and/or someone compliments it. In the back of your mind (and perhaps it will be visible on your face or through your body language), you will know what it is supposed to look like.

As for the stone -- I too like the latest entrant to the competition. Have you found someone who is willing to work on the setting and add the new stone?

WallaWalla3

Rough_Rock
My brother, who reccomended Mark at ERD, just spoke with him. Apparently, Mark knows this G SI1 and said its not eyeclean. Mark believes between the two we originally posted with ASET pics, that the second (3.02 H VS2) is a much better stone than the first (I VS1). Even though the ASET shows much more red on the I VS1. My brother bought a stone through Mark last year and trusts his judgement.

Here's another pic that was posted of the G SI1 (right) next to another H VS2 (left). Looks like there's definitely a visible black could right in the center of the table at 4 o'clock. Not sure how it would look unmagnified.
GSI1compare.jpg

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are these the same stones from the last page? They don't look the same at all to me! I would trust Mark on this one because both of those are nice looking stones :) I can't see the inclusion in the left one at 4:00 but that doesn't mean it's not there.

I can't wait to see the finished product. Mark has sourced many beautiful stones and made some beautiful settings. You're in good hands :)

slg47

Ideal_Rock
is that H VS2 available?

brina_ca

Rough_Rock
The 3.02 H/VS2 which you originally posted is a cushion modified brilliant, the H/VS2 above is OMC, they are not the same one, right?
I am a little confused.

WallaWalla3

Rough_Rock
No, the stones above are the G SI1 from the Leon Mege website and a random H VS2 that was also in stock. Here is the stone, my brother said that Mark reccomends along with it's asset.
3.02%20H%20VS%202.jpg
smallaset.jpg

slg47

Ideal_Rock
can you get the 'random' H VS2? I much prefer that one to the one ERD recommended.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
slg47|1302815900|2896248 said:
can you get the 'random' H VS2? I much prefer that one to the one ERD recommended.

Yes, that one is great!

bigdiamondtinygal

Shiny_Rock
I would choose the H VS2. I much prefer that over the ERD stone. I even like the G SI1 better than the ERD stone. I think that the H and G are great looking cushions, but if you want an eye clean stone I would get that H.

Also, just a word of advice I would be careful about revealing your sources for the stones here without having the stone reserved first...as you know stones of that size and look are not readily available and there are many lurkers here. I would reserve the one (or 2) you like the most while you are coming to a decision.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
I am sorry but something is not right here.

The Leon stone does not look like the stone on the right in the ERD picture. I highly doubt it is the same stone.

Second, the second set of photos of the H stone is NOT the stone on the left of the second picture.

All in all ... my pick is the G stone from Leon. I think it looks the best and there is no hint of a black inclusion that you see in the right diamond of the second picture. I doubt it is even the same stone.

brina_ca

Rough_Rock
WallaWalla, why don't bring those two above to Mark and get some feedback again, or just let him find some for you?

iota15

Brilliant_Rock
Yup. Those Leons are pretty amazing. I would be thrilled with either (G or H).

Did Perry tell you whether it's eye clean? Tell him you have very exacting PS standards. hahahaha. What does Leon say about those two stones? Is the Leon H in your budget? I didn't see it on his site.

smiley12345

Rough_Rock
just going to throw this out there in case there's a chance it might work?

Leon has this 2.56 F vs2 cushion on his website - even though the diamond is only 2.5 ct, the measurements are very similar to the "smaller" Hvs stone Mark is showing you that says works best in your setting - this Leon stone is 27k, so under budget - the ratio is slightly different (1.05 vs 1.04) but perhaps it's worth a further look...?
http://www.micropave.com/index.php/diamonds/5121166077-63.html

iota15

Brilliant_Rock
Walla - Wanted to check to see what you decided to do. Did you keep the original stone?

Boogins

Rough_Rock
Walla- I am curious what you ended up doing...and I want to see pics of the end result! Any updates for us? :tongue:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results