shape
carat
color
clarity

Need advice on OEC diamond

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
If you are starting to think a bigger one to see the facet patterning of a flower (def an OEC v transitional, like the one you have now), I think you need to start saving!!! Lol. Perhaps forgo this one for now and build your finances till you can afford the bigger size...

I would start researching what that bigger size is going to be.... for me, it has to be around the 2ct mark....I colour...

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had a 1.23 carat 6.9mm OEC and I could appreciate the facet pattern on that one.

CaseyLouLou

Brilliant_Rock
If you are starting to think a bigger one to see the facet patterning of a flower (def an OEC v transitional, like the one you have now), I think you need to start saving!!! Lol. Perhaps forgo this one for now and build your finances till you can afford the bigger size...

I would start researching what that bigger size is going to be.... for me, it has to be around the 2ct mark....I colour...

What would a good price target be for around a .9-1ct well cut OEC with flowers? I’m not sure I want to go bigger on me.

It’s not so much a matter of saving but more about pulling the trigger to spend that kind of money on something that is very expensive and only for fun. I tend to be frugal. It’s a tough one! I do like my new stone though so I might just stick with that for now. It is amazing.

CaseyLouLou

Brilliant_Rock
I had a 1.23 carat 6.9mm OEC and I could appreciate the facet pattern on that one.

Ok thanks! I’m hoping to not go above 1ct or even a bit less mostly because that’s a lot of ring to wear to work (for me). I’m not a blingy person and I don’t tend to splurge to this extent.

CaseyLouLou

Brilliant_Rock
It’s an Etsy diamond seller but they are new on there and don’t have much for sale. I will let you know what I think of the diamond and then share their name once I see if it’s any good!

The seller is DiamondsbyMLOpros on Etsy. I think he does sell on eBay too.

CaseyLouLou

Brilliant_Rock
I have no clue about halo settings.. but, from reading here, yes, do not go whiter, or the contrast may be noticeable, or not (really depends on what you see or not). I also believe getting lower coloured melee is going to be harder to source.

I like the idea of single cuts/ oec... to match with the age of the stone/ era. But that is just me. MRB might work for you, and that is what matters. When deciding, i would strongly recommend seeing the different types of melee around that stone to be sure of what appeals to your eye. However, there may be other posters that have done similar and they can chime in. :)

that is sure if a bright stone.. lovely!!!!! if you can to indulge me, pl take a video in sunlight... i reckon it is going to be amazeballs!!!!....well done!

As requested, some sunlight photos and videos. These photos and videos are in indirect natural light. Then I will post direct sunlight. Forgive the stray puppy hair.

C27602C8-72ED-4B5D-A2B1-34FB5D9ABB1A.jpeg D0D4B6A6-3755-4543-BABB-BC0AC5FE1F4E.jpeg

CaseyLouLou

Brilliant_Rock
I’m not sure why or where you’ve seen dull single cuts, they are usually clean and very sparkly on antique settings. They have broader facets than modern melee, there are Pricescope threads comparing and expressing opinions about the two melee types.

PS your Transitional is a prototypical one, and it is absolutely gorgeous. There is no problem at all with your stone’s cut, IMO it is very a good cut. It will explode with fire under a tree outside, have fun tomorrow!

It definitely explodes in sunlight. And is sparkly in all lighting conditions.
Here are some direct sunlight videos and photos. AA19D97B-FB00-4A13-AFF6-BD5DEDFBF498.jpeg 077DE33C-B704-43C1-96C5-5D165CE9F8EB.jpeg

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
Wow!! The sunlight pics are amazing, as expected....know the cut so I can appreciate the facet patterning and I would be happy with this stone set in solitaire, as that is my preferred setting.

if you want bigger, I am unsure of pricing. And,
I haven’t been looking for a oec stone for some time, but the following vendors have oecs. But are oecs what you want or transitional cuts?

Diamondzone- ebay
Ivy and rose Etsy???!!
grave by jewels
Cvb
Old world diamonds.
DK jewelers can also source stones, he may not have them on site, but if you know what you want, he can find it for you. He got me my oec earrings a while ago too.

i do follow a few ppl on IG, and they all say they can source whatever stones I want...

hope that helps.

CaseyLouLou

Brilliant_Rock
Wow!! The sunlight pics are amazing, as expected....know the cut so I can appreciate the facet patterning and I would be happy with this stone set in solitaire, as that is my preferred setting.

if you want bigger, I am unsure of pricing. And,
I haven’t been looking for a oec stone for some time, but the following vendors have oecs. But are oecs what you want or transitional cuts?

Diamondzone- ebay
Ivy and rose Etsy???!!
grave by jewels
Cvb
Old world diamonds.
DK jewelers can also source stones, he may not have them on site, but if you know what you want, he can find it for you. He got me my oec earrings a while ago too.

i do follow a few ppl on IG, and they all say they can source whatever stones I want...

hope that helps.

Glad you like it. I actually was able to see the facets clearly in the indirect natural light so when set in a ring I think I will enjoy that. It does look a bit like a MRB but I can see a difference.

I don’t think I want a solitaire because I don’t want it to look like an engagement ring on my right hand. I’m thinking some kind of halo that has a low setting for everyday wear.

I will keep my eye out for a bigger one but from what I have seen it will cost me anywhere from $2200-3500 depending on size and it’s hard to find that flower pattern. It’s also hard to know what it looks like in person when buying online. I got lucky with this one. I’m a tad concerned about the girdle being extremely thin - very thin but the halo should help if they are on the same level. Maybe a tiny bezel.

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
with what you now know of the facet patterning that you like and the video that you have created, this becomes your learning tool.

you now know what you are looking for, it’s a start.
When searching, you immediately look for images for the flower pattern of an oec or broader pattern of transitional. If the vendor does not have video images, I would request for one.

Armed with what you know already of you like/ love.... you can be more critical of the bigger stones that are in the market!!

have fun...I have also included some posts on my 0.65 QR OEC

Here is a thread of my oec ring.... further down in the post on page one is an ideal scope that shows how red/ bright the stone is, much like what yours would be. Now ideal scope is only used for MRB, but the seller had an image for this oec ...

Here is a recent pic (2019???) of my ring in the vintage reproduction thread.

CaseyLouLou

Brilliant_Rock
with what you now know of the facet patterning that you like and the video that you have created, this becomes your learning tool.

When searching, you immediately look for images for the flower pattern of an oec or broader pattern of transitional. If the vendor does not have video images, I would request for one.

Armed with what you know already of you like/ love.... you can be more critical of the bigger stones that are in the market!!

Here is a thread of my oec ring.... further down in the post on page one is an ideal scope that shows how red/ bright the stone is, much like what yours would be. Now ideal scope is only used for MRB, but the seller had an image for this oec ...

Nice! I’m starting to appreciate yellow diamonds and mine is a J so getting there! Ha. Not quite ready for it yet. Very nice, classy ring you have. That’s what I want - blingy and classy.

CaseyLouLou

Brilliant_Rock

Oh and that idealscope image is amazing. It looks better than modern ideals!

OdetteOdile

Brilliant_Rock
As requested, some sunlight photos and videos. These photos and videos are in indirect natural light. Then I will post direct sunlight. Forgive the stray puppy hair.

C27602C8-72ED-4B5D-A2B1-34FB5D9ABB1A.jpeg D0D4B6A6-3755-4543-BABB-BC0AC5FE1F4E.jpeg

Wow - this looks beautiful!!

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
Nice! I’m starting to appreciate yellow diamonds and mine is a J so getting there! Ha. Not quite ready for it yet. Very nice, classy ring you have. That’s what I want - blingy and classy.

Thanx... the ring was more to give a perspective when set, albeit a gents ring. Am sure there are others on here whom have a 0.5ct OEC set in halo, for you to see?

it really is all down to preference..

my oec ring is really for me. I know the facet pattern is there. Others (lay ppl) would only know it as a diamond.

j colour-is a great colour And your videos prove it. Sometimes it does reflect surrounding colours/ so indoors- bathroom lighting it will have a more yellower colour or whatever your light globe colour is. So be prepared for that shift in colour and therefore what melee you choose.

have fun!

CaseyLouLou

Brilliant_Rock
Wow - this looks beautiful!!

Thanks! I’m excited. It’s my first real diamond that isn’t melee. I didn’t want a typical solitaire when I got engaged 25 years ago because I was a rebel. So I got a handmade wedding ring with diamonds in it. I still don’t really want a typical solitaire so I’m thinking of something along these lines as a right hand ring. But smaller and the melee would be a bit smaller too.

AE458B77-9DE1-4247-B3D9-ECACE16CB187.png

CaseyLouLou

Brilliant_Rock
Thanx... the ring was more to give a perspective when set, albeit a gents ring. Am sure there are others on here whom have a 0.5ct OEC set in halo, for you to see?

it really is all down to preference..

my oec ring is really for me. I know the facet pattern is there. Others (lay ppl) would only know it as a diamond.

j colour-is a great colour And your videos prove it. Sometimes it does reflect surrounding colours/ so indoors- bathroom lighting it will have a more yellower colour or whatever your light globe colour is. So be prepared for that shift in colour and therefore what melee you choose.

have fun!

Good to know. From reading your old thread it sounds like you had a very thin girdle also and had it recut. I’m hoping not to have to do that. Do you think I will be able to set it inside a halo so that it’s more protected? I didn’t realize it might be an issue.

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
Good to know. From reading your old thread it sounds like you had a very thin girdle also and had it recut. I’m hoping not to have to do that. Do you think I will be able to set it inside a halo so that it’s more protected? I didn’t realize it might be an issue.

mine had little bites on the girdle.... it can be seen in the IS image. Some setters do not want to set a stone with this others say they are ok with it.

with My first jeweler, she said thst it’s best to polish it so thst there is no risk.

when I eventuallyhad it reset with another jeweler and told him about the flea bites, he said, he could have hidden it une a prong and it would have been fine.

with a thin girdle- yes it’s possible to get it chipped, so protecting is good.... how you do it is something you can discuss with jeweler...

the design that you have shown, seems to protect it. My initial thoughts would be bezelling it. A thin one at that and it would work with the petals in your design.

But, this is a conversation with your jeweler.

sound like you are keeping this J and not lookinf for a bigger stone- hehehe.

CaseyLouLou

Brilliant_Rock
mine had little bites on the girdle.... it can be seen in the IS image. Some setters do not want to set a stone with this others say they are ok with it.

with My first jeweler, she said thst it’s best to polish it so thst there is no risk.

when I eventuallyhad it reset with another jeweler and told him about the flea bites, he said, he could have hidden it une a prong and it would have been fine.

with a thin girdle- yes it’s possible to get it chipped, so protecting is good.... how you do it is something you can discuss with jeweler...

the design that you have shown, seems to protect it. My initial thoughts would be bezelling it. A thin one at that and it would work with the petals in your design.

But, this is a conversation with your jeweler.

sound like you are keeping this J and not lookinf for a bigger stone- hehehe.

Ha! I want to keep it because it’s a good one. I think it will be challenging to convince myself to buy another one that is 3-5x the price anytime soon not to mention finding one. I think in a small floral halo this will be plenty of sparkle and I can see the facets well enough. I think a thin bezel is a good idea.

I’m still going to look for a bigger one for the future but no rush!

OdetteOdile

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks! I’m excited. It’s my first real diamond that isn’t melee. I didn’t want a typical solitaire when I got engaged 25 years ago because I was a rebel. So I got a handmade wedding ring with diamonds in it. I still don’t really want a typical solitaire so I’m thinking of something along these lines as a right hand ring. But smaller and the melee would be a bit smaller too.

AE458B77-9DE1-4247-B3D9-ECACE16CB187.png

That is absolutely beautiful!! I have bookmarked a similar looking ring in the past because I love that style. I think this would be gorgeous as a right hand ring. It is a nod to the floral design that you like (and me too). I'd love to see how it would look with your OEC.

Nikki1415

Brilliant_Rock
I purchased a vintage OEC halo ring on LT from another PS member with the main diamond being 0.45-0.5 ct & it has a floral pattern. I also bought a 1.05 ct transitional diamond ring with a gorgeous checkerboard pattern. Even though there is a large size difference I can make out the pattern in both of them.
81784417_2538771039734876_7866259171291693056_n.jpg 82024472_468709340687929_6321984747799052288_n.jpg 82725741_2199243827048285_5568519343731376128_n.jpg

CaseyLouLou

Brilliant_Rock
I purchased a vintage OEC halo ring on LT from another PS member with the main diamond being 0.45-0.5 ct & it has a floral pattern. I also bought a 1.05 ct transitional diamond ring with a gorgeous checkerboard pattern. Even though there is a large size difference I can make out the pattern in both of them.
81784417_2538771039734876_7866259171291693056_n.jpg 82024472_468709340687929_6321984747799052288_n.jpg 82725741_2199243827048285_5568519343731376128_n.jpg

Nice! I love both of them but especially the square one which might be a bit like what mine will look like when I have it set.

CaseyLouLou

Brilliant_Rock

Does the square ring have full cut side diamonds? I found this ring and it looks similar. I can’t tell if the side diamonds in this one are full cut or single cut but they look sparkly. What do you think A23122ED-E998-49A8-9D04-FE7461B2FD19.png ?

Nikki1415

Brilliant_Rock
Does the square ring have full cut side diamonds? I found this ring and it looks similar. I can’t tell if the side diamonds in this one are full cut or single cut but they look sparkly. What do you think A23122ED-E998-49A8-9D04-FE7461B2FD19.png ?

They are full cut on my ring and I think this ring too. My ring is super sparkly.

CaseyLouLou

Brilliant_Rock
They are full cut on my ring and I think this ring too. My ring is super sparkly.

Ok thanks. I think that’s what I would like but not sure how to find melee for a custom ring. Yours are both gorgeous.

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
I went with a singlecut halo in a ring I had made recently. I absolutely love them! They have bigger chunks of flash, where full cuts have splintery sparkle. (But I guess that's why I like old cuts over round brilliants, love the chunky flashes.)

Your jeweler should be able to get your melee when they make your ring.
Screenshot_20200112-222237.png

CaseyLouLou

Brilliant_Rock
I went with a singlecut halo in a ring I had made recently. I absolutely love them! They have bigger chunks of flash, where full cuts have splintery sparkle. (But I guess that's why I like old cuts over round brilliants, love the chunky flashes.) Screenshot_20200112-222237.png

Those looks good too! I’m deciding between full cut OEC melee if I can find them and single cuts. Do you notice any lack of performance in certain lighting situations with the single cuts? Does the ring have to be moving to see sparkle with them?

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
They look good to me in all lighting, very sparkly in bright light, but I wanted that more subdued halo for that ring. I think for sparkle factor, you might like the oec melee better.
If you are having this custom made, they'll get the melee for you. I'm having another ring made and my jeweler is getting the oec sidestones cut in NY. They also got all the melee for the ring above when they made that. No need to melee shop!

CaseyLouLou

Brilliant_Rock
They look good to me in all lighting, very sparkly in bright light, but I wanted that more subdued halo for that ring. I think for sparkle factor, you might like the oec melee better.
If you are having this custom made, they'll get the melee for you. I'm having another ring made and my jeweler is getting the oec sidestones cut in NY. They also got all the melee for the ring above when they made that. No need to melee shop!

Awesome. Are you using a local jeweler or is it someone I might be able to use too?

CaseyLouLou

Brilliant_Rock
I use David Klass, a popular jeweler here ;-) they are located in LA, but make jewelry for people anywhere!
Email is : [email protected]

That’s funny. He’s actually designing an anniversary band for me using hearts and arrows diamonds. If it turns out well I might use him again for this one eventually.

Here’s a photo of the model. It’s almost done. Comments and critiques welcome!

E4268FDB-DC4E-4B4B-AAE6-4038224A9D3E.jpeg F98B1520-229C-41F3-886B-75B8877D0036.jpeg 38E6E24D-9449-4116-BA02-C1E48C63CA35.jpeg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results