shape
carat
color
clarity

#TBT Gents 'light yellow' OEC ring

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
Firstly i must thank 3 PS'ers- madelise, justginger and diamondseeker who have made it all possible for this project to occur.

It all started over the christmas/ new year break of 2012/13. i started to fall in love with the OEC's. Then i saw something on Ebay that I thought- I MUST have, I MUST have! not sure if resident enabler, Enerchi ,was there. :cheeky: The ring was labelled as light yellow 0.8ct OEC gents ring. I asked a few questions here on PS. Justginger piped up and said that she had Poppy- an O/P 4.2ct OEC, for me to see. WOWZERs... poppy sure is puurrrreeeddyyyy!!!!! The meeting was great and it confirmed for me that i preferred the warmer tones of an OEC. So the hunt was on. Unfortunately, the ring on EBay was too large; and for it to be sized down, it would have compromised on the integrity of the ring.

After the meeting with Poppy (and Justginger), the constellations must have aligned and the wind blew at right on a hot summers day here in Perth, as a fellow PSer was selling a bright, light yellow 0.69ct OEC. Woo hoo!!!!

Transaction occurred, though it did have a few hiccups on the way. It had to grow wings to fly across continental USA (thanks to justginger and her justginger's mum) then, all the way across the Pacific to AUS. It was a long trip across. I finally got the OEC about a month later. There were a few flea bites bites on the girdle, which i knew about. We got it assessed at an IGI lab here in AUS, so that we knew what we are dealing with. We don't have a GIA lab here. It graded as 0.69ct O colour and SI2 with a few feathers near the chips. So, it CAN be a light yellow. Once again, PS helped me in finding a diamond polisher here in AUS. It is in QLD. It would take 2 weeks to do, as he was busy. But, it ended up taking 4 weeks- he was really busy!

The weight dropped from 0.69-0.64ct. So, a little mini buff and polish and it was good to go!!!! My jeweller was happier and the ring could be made. WOo hoo.

A couple of hand drawn designs and one CAD later, we have arrived at the final ring as you see it.

We have had a few attempts at arriving at the ring. Somehow, the design got lost in translation. :(( It was tweaked and it still wasnt right. So, it had to be remade. Thanks to dear friend diamondseeker for the ear and eyes.. Once remade, it still needed a few more tweaks and viola.

On the north and south sides, i have added hierglyphics to replicate my initials, GC, originally. Then i thought, i rather have my mum's maiden initial and my dad's surname, which coincidentally are the same as my initials. How weird was that??? G= pyramidal shape, and C= basket shape.

I checked and it has taken over 7 months to finally get it on my finger!!!!!

p1010937.jpg

p1010939.jpg

_8202.jpg

_8205.jpg

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
more pics, cos i know you guys like 'em.

p1010922.jpg

p1010936.jpg

p1010934.jpg

bunnycat

Ideal_Rock
Really nice! I love the milgrain detail on top- very vintage styling!!! Is it two tone as well??? :appl: :appl: :appl:

Rosebloom

Ideal_Rock
That is just stunning! I'm very impressed that you designed that. Well done!

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful! Very heirloom-y looking… I love that you incorporated hieroglyphs! What! So very very unique, making it a perfect heirloom for your family to keep for generations to come :love:

I hope you keep up a trend of PS having more and more mens' rings!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I absolutely LOVE how it turned out, Greg! :love: :appl: You did a wonderful job designing your ring and I love that you found an the OEC for the center, too!

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
You did an amazing job and I love all of the PS hands that were involved in sourcing the stone, finding the resources you needed for polishing, etc. It's a beautiful ring!! Great job Greg!! :appl:

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
Thanx guys!

Bastecat- yes it is 2tone. White gold with milgrain and yellow gold band. Both at 18k. All rings I have are 18k, so that they are all matching in Colour and the wear rates the same.

Rosebloom- I can't take all the credit for the design. The inspiration ring from EBay was the original designer. I just added a few details.

Madelise- thanx for the OEC!!! I will try an add more gents rings, but sadly I do not have anymore finger real estate for that to happen. I really like all my rings and prefer to wear them all to appreciate them. I can't help but think that if I didn't wear one, it would get lonely at home in a box somewhere!!!! Or, if we got broken into, how was I going to replace them- especially the OEC! The others are easily replaced. Maybe, I could get an AVR to replace it???? Though I am not sure if it comes in the same warmth..... Hmmm. But that is only anything happened to this current one.

Heirloom piece.... That is a great idea. However, we will have our second daughter soon. So, whilst the ring may be passed on, I think my daughters would change the design. I am just keeping it warm and appreciating the diamonds for them now.

DS- thanx for your ear and eyes, my friend. Helping me keep on track and true to the vintage styling. I love how the prongs turned out!! Just love the OEC.

Yennyfire- thanx!! PS is such a great community, and ALOT to answer for! It makes this ring in particular, more meaningful. It has a history already, let alone the original OEC history. I wonder if I can trace that back??! Not sure how, though.

D

Deactivated member 42515

Yayyyyyyy!!!! Gregchang!!!!! Your ring is herrrrrre!!!! Woo hoo!!! Long time coming!!!

I love all the personal touches! And it looks amazing on you! Congrats!

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,

Great ring!!!! Love the 2 tone as well.... If you don't mind me asking what is the name of the polisher here in QLD? Thx.

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
His name is Errol Gouws, not sure of his vuisness name. In marine parade near seaworld in Gold Coast. I have his number but I think it's against forum rules to post it on here.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is a fantastic looking ring Greg, I just love it! One of the nicest men's rings I've ever seen! The perfect home for your great OEC. Congrats and enjoy!! :appl:

justginger

Ideal_Rock
You already know how I feel about this whole project: :love:

That being said, an O colour? :lol: Even with Poppy graded at an M here (versus the O/P she got from Neil), there's no way that stone is an O. It's gotta be S/T. Even smaller than Poppy, it shows some seriously rich yellow tones, night vs day when they're next to each other. That coloration isn't really visible in these photos, but they do show what a wonderful setting you've created.

Being a part of this project was so much fun. I know there's some tweaking to be done, but it's still lovely to see it come to fruition. :))

ahem, 4.65, ahem :wink2:

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
gregchang35|1374620654|3488764 said:
His name is Errol Gouws, not sure of his vuisness name. In marine parade near seaworld in Gold Coast. I have his number but I think it's against forum rules to post it on here.

Hi,

I google it and found their business. I take it that you were totally happy?

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
justginger|1374623084|3488791 said:
That being said, an O colour? :lol: Even with Poppy graded at an M here (versus the O/P she got from Neil), there's no way that stone is an O. It's gotta be S/T. Even smaller than Poppy, it shows some seriously rich yellow tones, night vs day when they're next to each other. That coloration isn't really visible in these photos, but they do show what a wonderful setting you've created.

That's what I thought.. and I've been feeling guilty this whole time (and it's been a long time!). :blackeye: I remember it being very tinted… I thought QRST would have been a more accurate range? Def nowhere in the MNOP range, which usually translates to like an eggshell or antique lace color.

justginger

Ideal_Rock
madelise|1374624932|3488819 said:

That's what I thought.. and I've been feeling guilty this whole time (and it's been a long time!). :blackeye: I remember it being very tinted… I thought QRST would have been a more accurate range? Def nowhere in the MNOP range, which usually translates to like an eggshell or antique lace color.

I know everyone perceives colour differently, blah blah blah, but this stone came to me loose and it was light yellow. Just beautiful. I loved it the second I saw it, and thought of telling Greg it got lost in the post so I could keep it myself! :Up_to_something: I would eat my hat if that stone were appraised to GIA standards as an O. :lol: Your guilt has been misharboured, madelise.

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It turned out amazing greg, I just LOVE the colour!! Next time I'm in Perth I'll keep my beady eyes out for it :bigsmile:

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
Hi Arkeib1

To be honest: i didn't really see the final polished diamond till after it was set. I live in WA.

This OEC is a bright diamond. The IS shows it is bright from edge to edge.

I carried this diamond to sydney, for my jeweller to assess before setting. She did not know any diamond polishers. I got a contact from PS which then lead me to him in QLD. The diamond polisher sent it back to jeweller and she inspected it on my behalf. She told me that the chips were polished out. The ring was then completed. I could have got the diamond posted back to me in WA for inspection in Feb/march; but i couldn't wait to get the ring on my finger. In the end, i think it wouldn't have mattered an extra week for it to come back to WA then to NSW for me to inspect it, as it is now 7 month down the track before the ring is on my finger!

Assessment of the polished chips on the girdle= under magnification, i can see where they have polished. There are going to be surface changes and all of that is dependent of the chips that need to be polished out. it cost $300 + postage. To me, that is money well spent as i dont have to worry about the chip in a setting. They jeweller was not happy about setting the diamond under a prong to disguise the chip, but after the polishing, they were happy to. That polished area is now set under a prong. So unless you know about it, or a PS'er, you probably wont know it. :cheeky:

The other thing here in AUS is that OEC diamonds are not commonly known. The polisher asked the question if I wanted to polish out the culet. i told him no, just the girdle, thanx! I love the kozibe effect of the OEC.

Sorry that it may not be the most direct answer.

I guess, the final result is that the chips were attended to- polished out and a safer diamond. A win/win in my books.

_8213.jpg

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
madelise|1374624932|3488819 said:

Hey madelise- i think an O is also too high a colour. I have seen poppy- graded O and i think its lower than that. but the only lab we have at our disposal in AUS is IGI. So, i dare say a soft grading system compared to GIA.

Regardless of what colour it has been graded, i am really happy with the colour!!!! yay to that!

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
gregchang35|1374628797|3488870 said:
Hi Arkeib1

To be honest: i didn't really see the final polished diamond till after it was set. I live in WA.

This OEC is a bright diamond. The IS shows it is bright from edge to edge.

I carried this diamond to sydney, for my jeweller to assess before setting. She did not know any diamond polishers. I got a contact from PS which then lead me to him in QLD. The diamond polisher sent it back to jeweller and she inspected it on my behalf. She told me that the chips were polished out. The ring was then completed. I could have got the diamond posted back to me in WA for inspection in Feb/march; but i couldn't wait to get the ring on my finger. In the end, i think it wouldn't have mattered an extra week for it to come back to WA then to NSW for me to inspect it, as it is now 7 month down the track before the ring is on my finger!

Assessment of the polished chips on the girdle= under magnification, i can see where they have polished. There are going to be surface changes and all of that is dependent of the chips that need to be polished out. it cost $300 + postage. To me, that is money well spent as i dont have to worry about the chip in a setting. They jeweller was not happy about setting the diamond under a prong to disguise the chip, but after the polishing, they were happy to. That polished area is now set under a prong. So unless you know about it, or a PS'er, you probably wont know it. :cheeky:

The other thing here in AUS is that OEC diamonds are not commonly known. The polisher asked the question if I wanted to polish out the culet. i told him no, just the girdle, thanx! I love the kozibe effect of the OEC.

Sorry that it may not be the most direct answer.

I guess, the final result is that the chips were attended to- polished out and a safer diamond. A win/win in my books.

Hi Greg,

Thank you so much for the answer. Not sure if they can do what I want, being only just over an hour away is a bonus.... Yes they don't come across many old cuts here as they are only just becoming popular and are generally difficult to find. I have owned GIA stones all modern cuts and have an old cut graded by Bauer Gemmological laboratories down in Melbourne. I think they are pretty close to an accurate colour grading.

Yours is a beautiful stone!!!!

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
justginger|1374625621|3488828 said:
I know everyone perceives colour differently, blah blah blah, but this stone came to me loose and it was light yellow. Just beautiful. I loved it the second I saw it, and thought of telling Greg it got lost in the post so I could keep it myself! :Up_to_something: I would eat my hat if that stone were appraised to GIA standards as an O. :lol: Your guilt has been misharboured, madelise.

Hm, these non-GIA standards of grading are very strange indeed. I figured if they were trying to grade things to be worth MORE than they really are, they'd take H's and make them F's.. and take O's and make em FYs.

gregchang35 said:
Hey madelise- i think an O is also too high a colour. I have seen poppy- graded O and i think its lower than that. but the only lab we have at our disposal in AUS is IGI. So, i dare say a soft grading system compared to GIA.

Regardless of what colour it has been graded, i am really happy with the colour!!!! yay to that!

I'm just so happy that you're happy, Greg!

Now go take more pics!! No such thing as too many :bigsmile:

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
Junebug- thanx!
Dandiandi- yes, when you are in perth, let us know!

Arkieb1- Errol says that he can do most things, so maybe call in to see him?

Justginger- we may have to org a GTG soon! ... well, with our baby #2 on the way, it may be a while before it happens. ;( We fly out tomorrow!! Woo hoo!!!!

MAdelise and Justginger - as for colour, i am attaching a pic of an FLY radiant against the OEC. I have also added the photo of the OEC next to freckles, (from the listing) for comparison...my jeweller thought the same as justginger when the stone was on its own. So, definitely a softer grading from IGI lab. it has a (canary)yellow colour in all lighting, except when taking photos :errrr:

photo__26_2.jpg

_8215.jpg

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
And, here is a comparison of an GIA graded OEC WX and an ST.
So, i think it would be closer to WX, though the ST is on an angle... sooo....

all subjective till it gets graded by GIA, which is highly unlikelly.... Just really happy that the diamond is that yellowy colour... Yay...

greg.jpg

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jesus .. can I have all of those? Antique cuts blown up giant really make me drool. :love: That ST next to the WX is just divine!

Add: old cuts always 'face up' whiter. That one photo next to Freckles is upside down. Hm. I remember RockDiamond (David from DBL) mentioned a few times that they have to have to use radiant cut and other types of 'crushed ice' looking cuts in order to maintain body color. Just another thought..

Natylad

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gregchang, your ring turned out so wonderful :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: I really like the design of it and especially the milgrain! The diamond's color is great!!! Wear it in good health :appl:

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
Thanx Natylad.

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
I have had this ring for a couple of months and whilst I wanted a pinkie ring, I just felt that the ring was much more of an occasional RHR. So, I have resized it. Also, have taken a few more photos to show case the yellow colour. The original pics showed them to be a bit greyer.

_10594.jpg

_10595.jpg

_10596.jpg

_10597.jpg

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
It's beautiful - and all the more so because it was a journey! Enjoy! :appl:

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
Smith1942|1380977990|3532645 said:
It's beautiful - and all the more so because it was a journey! Enjoy! :appl:

Thanx smith1942.

Loving your jewels in the other threads!!!

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How cool! I love the color of the stone and the setting. It may have taken awhile but it's a perfect combination!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results