shape
carat
color
clarity

Need advice on OEC diamond

CaseyLouLou

Brilliant_Rock
Hi All. I’m not very experience with OEC diamonds so I can’t tell from this image if this one is any good. It’s 0.5ct SI2, J and eye clean. Does the faceting pattern look good? It was taken under a microscope.

thanks!

3221E85C-9E8D-498E-881E-D2E813FC3FA2.jpeg

CaseyLouLou

Brilliant_Rock
Table 56% depth 63%

DAF

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Table size disqualifies it from being a true OEC according to GIA standards, I believe.

Lovesparklesparle

Shiny_Rock
If you can get a video or even pictures of it how it would appear in real life it will be much easier to give you feedback.

CaseyLouLou

Brilliant_Rock
If you can get a video or even pictures of it how it would appear in real life it will be much easier to give you feedback.

I tried asking but he doesn’t seem to have the ability to do that. It’s returnable but I was hoping to just get an opinion off the one photo. It has a GIA report.

CaseyLouLou

Brilliant_Rock

Table size disqualifies it from being a true OEC according to GIA standards, I believe.

Oh that’s interesting. I found this chart and thought it might mean it was well cut for an OEC.

CaseyLouLou

Brilliant_Rock

I checked the GIA report and they call it a ‘circular brilliant’ and when I googled that it said it is a new category of old cuts that don’t meet the criteria for OEC. Does this make it more of a transitional cut?

I’m not sure I care what it’s called as long as it sparkles like and OEC with the big facets and is a good cut as far as sparkle goes. It’s just hard to say from a single photo and I can’t interpret the shadows at all.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I checked the GIA report and they call it a ‘circular brilliant’ and when I googled that it said it is a new category of old cuts that don’t meet the criteria for OEC. Does this make it more of a transitional cut?

I’m not sure I care what it’s called as long as it sparkles like and OEC with the big facets and is a good cut as far as sparkle goes. It’s just hard to say from a single photo and I can’t interpret the shadows at all.

There are a lot of things that GIA calls circular brilliant that we might call OECs anyway - nevertheless the one above does look more like a transitional to me.

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The diamond in question is a Transitional aka Early Modern Brilliant. See attached link. I think it’s a pretty cut, and it’s an original old cut, see the microscopic girdle flea bites. It’s probably got a bruted/frosted girdle. It’s probably got a relatively low crown and it’s got a large table more in line with an MRB’s crown and table percentages than an Old European Cut. These types of cuts appear whiter facing up because of the crown and table. They tend to have nice large diameters for the carat weight. They have lots of fire too, take it out under a tree and it will explode with fire. They do not have puffy crowns and koizibe as in Old European Cuts. This is not an Old European Cut so be sure you like this cut type versus an OEC. To me, this diamond looks like it will be pretty IRL.

The two posters in this thread also have other posts on their beautiful Transitional Diamonds. Look them up by user name to see more.

Last edited:

CaseyLouLou

Brilliant_Rock
The diamond in question is a Transitional aka Early Modern Brilliant. See attached link. I think it’s a pretty cut, and it’s an original old cut, see the microscopic girdle flea bites. It’s probably got a bruted/frosted girdle. It’s probably got a relatively low crown and it’s got a large table more in line with an MRB’s crown and table percentages than an Old European Cut. These types of cuts appear whiter facing up because of the crown and table. They tend to have nice large diameters for the carat weight. They have lots of fire too, take it out under a tree and it will explode with fire. They do not have puffy crowns and koizibe as in Old European Cuts. This is not an Old European Cut so be sure you like this cut type versus an OEC. To me, this diamond looks like it will be pretty IRL.

The two posters in this thread also have other posts on their beautiful Transitional Diamonds. Look them up by user name to see more.

Thank you! That’s really interesting. So that means it was likely cut somewhere between 1920-1940?

I am reading that thread now and those diamonds are gorgeous. Do you think I will be able to make out the faceting pattern with a .5ct stone?

Mjay

Brilliant_Rock
Hi All. I’m not very experience with OEC diamonds so I can’t tell from this image if this one is any good. It’s 0.5ct SI2, J and eye clean. Does the faceting pattern look good? It was taken under a microscope.

thanks!

3221E85C-9E8D-498E-881E-D2E813FC3FA2.jpeg

It’s a transitional. I have one the same size. It’s my smallest and most favorite diamond. I say go for it. If you don’t love it just return it.

CaseyLouLou

Brilliant_Rock
It’s a transitional. I have one the same size. It’s my smallest and most favorite diamond. I say go for it. If you don’t love it just return it.

From the limited amount that I have learned on this wonderful forum it seems to me that the transitional cut could be the best of both worlds.

I already went for it and I will see what I think when it gets here!

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you! That’s really interesting. So that means it was likely cut somewhere between 1920-1940?

I am reading that thread now and those diamonds are gorgeous. Do you think I will be able to make out the faceting pattern with a .5ct stone?

Yes! Some people say they don’t think you can but I have a .3 ct oec pendant and a .5 ct oec solitaire and they definitely sparkle differently than the small RB diamonds I have.

CaseyLouLou

Brilliant_Rock
Yes! Some people say they don’t think you can but I have a .3 ct oec pendant and a .5 ct oec solitaire and they definitely sparkle differently than the small RB diamonds I have.

Very cool. So how old do you think this stone would be?

Mjay

Brilliant_Rock
From the limited amount that I have learned on this wonderful forum it seems to me that the transitional cut could be the best of both worlds.

I already went for it and I will see what I think when it gets here!

Congratulations I bet you’ll love it. It’s my favorite cut. Can I ask what vender you purchased from?

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Very cool. So how old do you think this stone would be?

I’m guessing this particular cut could be from 1910 ish. Al Gilbertson’s book “American Cut” describes this type of Transitional cut. I think your stone was cut close to the turn of the Century, not later. My Transitional is set into a platinum setting dated 1913 and it looks very similar.

John Pollard shares this link to Al Gilbertson’s important book on the evolution of diamond cutting and cut styles, “American Cut”. Thanks to Al and John.

Last edited:

CaseyLouLou

Brilliant_Rock
Congratulations I bet you’ll love it. It’s my favorite cut. Can I ask what vender you purchased from?

It’s an Etsy diamond seller but they are new on there and don’t have much for sale. I will let you know what I think of the diamond and then share their name once I see if it’s any good!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Obviously, I like this kind of old cut. But in that size, you will only see subtle differences from an MRB if you look really closely. In casual viewing, it will mostly look like a slightly chunkier MRB.

PS I recognize the photography and I think they used to sell a lot on ebay

CaseyLouLou

Brilliant_Rock
It’s here! Let me know what you think. It evening so I took some video in indirect bedroom lighting. It seems to have a lot of fire. When I looked at it under my bathroom lights it sparkles like mad. I’m just trying to make sure it doesn’t look dead in the middle but I think the only time I see that is if it’s facing sideways and there is a shadow
Not sure how to post video but here’s some photos.
CE487AA5-AF02-42C2-B7E8-3FD7F3FC0E45.jpeg

20C12BC9-90B6-409C-A16D-D7D56E1D584F.jpeg 2AB9136F-63DF-4C2D-968D-32032D6A924E.jpeg

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
it looks pretty nice to me!
I have 0.65ct OEC OP colour, and i can tell that it isnt an MRB>.. but to the novice, they would not know the difference. I know it cos when i look at it, i can tell the broad flashes of light that na OEC gives off. So, being that size, the OEC is specifically for my eyes to feast on. .

FOr a video, what i did was load it up on youtube adn then linked it on here.

CaseyLouLou

Brilliant_Rock
Obviously, I like this kind of old cut. But in that size, you will only see subtle differences from an MRB if you look really closely. In casual viewing, it will mostly look like a slightly chunkier MRB.

PS I recognize the photography and I think they used to sell a lot on ebay

I think you were right - I definitely can’t see any inclusions or facet patterns without a loupe since it’s only 0.5ct. I think I need a bigger one to really admire the flower facets but they are expensive! Will .8 be big enough to see them or do I need 1ct+? I didn’t really want a big ring.

I haven’t had a loose diamond or a solitaire before so this is fun but I have nothing to compare it to other than smaller MBC melee. Those sparkle a lot and are white but don’t seem to have as much fire.

CaseyLouLou

Brilliant_Rock
I have 0.65ct OEC OP colour, and i can tell that it isnt an MRB>.. but to the novice, they would not know the difference. I know it cos when i look at it, i can tell the broad flashes of light that na OEC gives off. So, being that size, the OEC is specifically for my eyes to feast on. .

Yes, I do think I can tell the difference because it’s more fiery than any other stones I have.

If I make a ring and surround this with other diamonds, would I be better off using small OEC melee or single cuts or just regular MBC melee? This is a J color so I assume I shouldn’t go whiter but no clue!

CaseyLouLou

Brilliant_Rock

Ok here’s a couple of links. Let me know if it works.

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
I have no clue about halo settings.. but, from reading here, yes, do not go whiter, or the contrast may be noticeable, or not (really depends on what you see or not). I also believe getting lower coloured melee is going to be harder to source.

I like the idea of single cuts/ oec... to match with the age of the stone/ era. But that is just me. MRB might work for you, and that is what matters. When deciding, i would strongly recommend seeing the different types of melee around that stone to be sure of what appeals to your eye. However, there may be other posters that have done similar and they can chime in. :)

that is sure if a bright stone.. lovely!!!!! if you can to indulge me, pl take a video in sunlight... i reckon it is going to be amazeballs!!!!....well done!

CaseyLouLou

Brilliant_Rock
I have no clue about halo settings.. but, from reading here, yes, do not go whiter, or the contrast may be noticeable, or not (really depends on what you see or not). I also believe getting lower coloured melee is going to be harder to source.

I like the idea of single cuts/ oec... to match with the age of the stone/ era. But that is just me. MRB might work for you, and that is what matters. When deciding, i would strongly recommend seeing the different types of melee around that stone to be sure of what appeals to your eye. However, there may be other posters that have done similar and they can chime in. :)

that is sure if a bright stone.. lovely!!!!! if you can to indulge me, pl take a video in sunlight... i reckon it is going to be amazeballs!!!!....well done!

Thanks! I assume it will be awesome in sunlight since it’s surprisingly sparkly in indirect bedroom light. I’m dying for tomorrow so I can look at it again!

I don’t know much about single cuts. Are there cut grades of those too? I know I have seen some very dull ones before.

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
i doubt they will be cut graded???????? i am not sure...
But, if you have the ability to go to a jewler that has some of these types of stones/ cuts.. chose with your eyes. I am sure that s/he will do the same, cos they want the best stones to match.....

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks! I assume it will be awesome in sunlight since it’s surprisingly sparkly in indirect bedroom light. I’m dying for tomorrow so I can look at it again!

I don’t know much about single cuts. Are there cut grades of those too? I know I have seen some very dull ones before.

I’m not sure why or where you’ve seen dull single cuts, they are usually clean and very sparkly on antique settings. They have broader facets than modern melee, there are Pricescope threads comparing and expressing opinions about the two melee types.

PS your Transitional is a prototypical one, and it is absolutely gorgeous. There is no problem at all with your stone’s cut, IMO it is very a good cut. It will explode with fire under a tree outside, have fun tomorrow!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
It's a lovely example of it's type! If you are after this kind of cut, it's a great example.

Honestly, my diamond is 1.89ct and it still doesn't look *that* different from an MRB lol... just bigger and bolder. It is a flavour I adore and you cannot get these proportions in an MRB, so for me, its a great choice.

My diamond is set in a three stone with MRB sides (.30ct each), and as you can see, even at very high magnification like this the sides and the center look very similar. In person, they look like basically the same cuts (with the larger size of the center and the associated larger scale of the facetc far outweighing any differences in cut proportions). I chose MRBs for my side stones bc Early American cuts like you have and I have are incredibly rare. I knew I would never find a matched pair on my own in my budget. I would have loved to find your diamond for a side stone lol

If you want to really see that it is not an MRB, then you need a different style of cut. I have owned many OECs under 1ct and I think you can easily see the difference in faceting from an MRB at about the 6mm mark, which is between .80ct and 1ct depending on the proportions of the old cut.

Here is my diamond with an OEC friend in that size range. The faceting differences were totally obvious in person.

This is compared to a 7mm OEC

And here is my early ideal compared to an MRB the similar size. The light play was very different between these, but as I said, they are both ~2ct.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
At the end of the day, though, I think that diamonds are for your own personal enjoyment. For me, it doesn't matter if other people know my diamond is an old cut. I know. And I like that part of my stone. Your relationship to your diamond is entirely personal and if you fall in love with this diamond, then love is love! And that's all there is to it!

CaseyLouLou

Brilliant_Rock
At the end of the day, though, I think that diamonds are for your own personal enjoyment. For me, it doesn't matter if other people know my diamond is an old cut. I know. And I like that part of my stone. Your relationship to your diamond is entirely personal and if you fall in love with this diamond, then love is love! And that's all there is to it!

I think what I’m going for is to see the “flower” facets in the middle. Mine has it but they are too small to see. I don’t care if anyone else can tell what it is.

It’s really pretty funny that just as I have completely embraced hearts and arrows ideal cut as being the holy grail, I came on this site and have a whole new appreciation for the look of these old diamonds and I love them as much or more but for different reasons.

One thing I like is the flower facets and the other is the color and fire that is just more interesting.

In your photos I can definitely see the flower facets but those photos are also zoomed in a bit so I don’t know if you notice them irl. Not all OECs have them I have noticed. It seems the transitionals have them more and maybe it has to do with symmetry??

At the end of the day I want a sparkly diamond that I can admire for it’s fun features and this one will suffice I think but I’m already starting to think I would enjoy a bigger one so that I can make out the flower pattern.

Maybe I do need more of a regular OEC but I’m not sure if that’s the issue or not.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results