shape
carat
color
clarity

Nail Salon jealously lol

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/18/2007 6:58:56 PM
Author: justjulia
Relax. There is time for it all. It sounds like you are marrying someone who cares about your feelings, and that is very sweet.
thank you for that julia :) perfect answer!

ursulawrite

Shiny_Rock
I went through the mill with my ring a couple of years ago. I got engaged at 24, am 30 now, and still have my 1.3, E, VVS1 Round. I was so offended by insensitive comments about my ring ("cute"; "nice, but my wife''s cost $40k) which is when I started to notice that it was by far the smallest in our circle. You know what? Some of those people are still living in rentals, while we have a snazzy Soho loft and zero debt.

Different people have different priorities. Big deal. Shamefully, it took me a long time to come to terms with the idea that my husband loved me just as much as so-and-so who purchased a three-carat solitaire.

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/18/2007 8:47:32 PM
Author: ursulawrite
I went through the mill with my ring a couple of years ago. I got engaged at 24, am 30 now, and still have my 1.3, E, VVS1 Round. I was so offended by insensitive comments about my ring (''cute''; ''nice, but my wife''s cost $40k) which is when I started to notice that it was by far the smallest in our circle. You know what? Some of those people are still living in rentals, while we have a snazzy Soho loft and zero debt.

Different people have different priorities. Big deal. Shamefully, it took me a long time to come to terms with the idea that my husband loved me just as much as so-and-so who purchased a three-carat solitaire.
1.3 small. huh. wow.

me too. i felt left out, offended, and yet proud, a mix of emotions about my 1/4 carat engagement ring. he bought us a house instead. I think mine''s the smallest on this forum. but, like urlula, i have a paid for house now and live debt free.

i didn''t see anything wrong with the original post. on the other hand, I personally believe larger diamonds should be earned with a few wrinkles.
1.gif

ursulawrite

Shiny_Rock
Date: 4/18/2007 9:13:04 PM
Author: ladykemma

Date: 4/18/2007 8:47:32 PM
I went through the mill with my ring a couple of years ago. I got engaged at 24, am 30 now, and still have my 1.3, E, VVS1 Round. I was so offended by insensitive comments about my ring (''cute''; ''nice, but my wife''s cost $40k) which is when I started to notice that it was by far the smallest in our circle. You know what? Some of those people are still living in rentals, while we have a snazzy Soho loft and zero debt.

1.3 small. huh. wow.

me too. i felt left out, offended, and yet proud, a mix of emotions about my 1/4 carat engagement ring. he bought us a house instead. I think mine''s the smallest on this forum. but, like urlula, i have a paid for house now and live debt free.

i didn''t see anything wrong with the original post. on the other hand, I personally believe larger diamonds should be earned with a few wrinkles.
1.gif

That''s what NYC does to you :D

I don''t wear my ring every day, but I do wear it with pride, whereas, two years ago, I nearly buckled when one shop assistant at Barney''s said to her colleague, "Oh, what a gorgeous ring. Isn''t it?" The one to whom the question was directed looked down at said ring, looked up at me, and didn''t say a thing.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/18/2007 9:26:54 PM

That''s what NYC does to you :D

I don''t wear my ring every day, but I do wear it with pride, whereas, two years ago, I nearly buckled when one shop assistant at Barney''s said to her colleague, ''Oh, what a gorgeous ring. Isn''t it?'' The one to whom the question was directed looked down at said ring, looked up at me, and didn''t say a thing.

I know she DIDN''T!

Wow...if someone pulled that on me at a store, I don''t think I could keep myself from saying something like: "Can you go fetch me another size in this? Thanks, hon!"
11.gif

lumpkin

Ideal_Rock
Size is relative to where you live. Ursulawrite, I remember your posting about that. In your circles, 1.3 is a lot like Ladykemma''s 1/4, and I totally see where you are coming from and although I encourage you to love and enjoy your diamond (and I think it''s gorgeous!), I don''t think there''s anything wrong with your feelings.

I don''t get the value judgment at all about anyone thinking their 1.whatever diamond is small, even though I got married with a little 1/3 carat. So what. It''s all relative to what the norm is where you are. In a lot of circles 1 carat is teeny, and in a lot it''s huge.

As far as the size=amount of love, those of us who have been married a long time know that''s not true, and that a lot of women who have huge honkers are not in happy marriages, and some who have tiny ones are very happy. The reverse is also true. BUT, when you''re first getting married, it''s hard not to feel the pressure of getting the "right" size, at least I felt it when I married. I think if most of us are honest with ourselves, we can remember feeling that pressure, too.

Whatever. I think this issue has been hashed and rehashed and this IS a diamond board. I''m always very happy when someone gets a new diamond, because then I get to see it! Yay!
36.gif

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/18/2007 10:03:56 AM
Author: Mrs.soontobealfonzo
ok ok I see I offend some people, and I do apologize. My wording wasnt right.

Sorry Girls
I'm not offended. I myself am frequently prone to envy. But, when the green-eyed monster visits, I try to stop and think of those less lucky.

Ursula,
That's why I refer to New York as "Planet Manhattan."

marlonsboo

Rough_Rock
Well allycat, I am actually 32 and if you do the math you will know that I got married at the tender age of 20. My husband and I have been together since the 8th grade. He asked me to our 8th grade dance/prom and we have been going strong since. I truly believe my husband is my soul mate. As a matter of fact, I know that no one else would put up with me.
36.gif
He is truly a great man.

I was given an egagement ring when we got married(one of those Zales specials). We hit hard times and struggled financially for a few years. During that time I had to hock my engagement ring. So, by my choice, I have not gotten a new engagement ring. We are doing 100 times better now that we are older and have established careers. I have decided to not get a new wedding set until I can get all the bells and whistles that I want. I have been told that I should be sporting my new bling by the end of this year/beginning of next year. We''ll see!

luckystar112

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/18/2007 6:29:56 PM
Author: Cehrabehra

Date: 4/18/2007 5:35:01 PM
Author: Miranda

Date: 4/18/2007 5:15:52 PM
Author: musey

Date: 4/18/2007 4:30:37 PM
Author: marlonsboo
I am not new here, but this is the first time that I have posted a comment. I have been a lurker here for over a year. I must say that this is the 2 or 3 post that I have seen where someone is getting flamed for being honest.

Okay, I thought this was a place where diamond lovers could come ans share their diamond pictures and stats without being attacked. I dont agree with everything the poster says, but I do remember her apologizing for the way she worded her original post. So, are we not accepting apologies on this forum. I was taught as a child that if I did not have anything nice to say, then don''t say anything at all. If I was as offended as some people are saying they are, I would not dignify her post with a response.
It seems to me that people are reacting not only to this thread, but also other posts by soontobe. People develop a bit of a ''reputation'' (perhaps too strong a word) on the forums and then PSers may react more or less strongly to things they post based upon their previous posts. (There are certain posters we know NEVER to take seriously
28.gif
)

I could be wrong, though.
No, Musey...You''re not wrong.
omg I''m so oblivious... I can''t think of anyone that I''d put in that category... .unless you''re all talking about me! LOL
If people aren''t supposed to take you seriously I am in SO much trouble.
7.gif
2.gif

Mrssoontobealfonzo...
I''m 24....and yes, I do feel ring envy. I am not going to measure my boyfriend''s love for me by the size of the diamond I get...(which I don''t think you are doing that either) but I will admit that I do get scared I''ll get an itty bitty diamond and possibly be made to feel embarrassed. I realize that it isn''t about the size...but what can you do. For one, we post on PRICESCOPE...land of the massive rocks. 2-We are constantly bombared by celebrity rings such as J-Lo''s massive pet rock and others. "Bling" seems to be part of the current fashion trend. (Not that diamonds were ever NOT in style...) but it seems like as of late the media and the fashion trends have switched the diamond from a symbol of love to a symbol of status...how much your bf loves you....income...etc. I''d be lying if I said I didn''t have insecurities about what my future diamond size might be. I live in Houston TX where everything is bigger. lol.

I explained it to my boyfriend like this (and I hope no one gets offended by this. lol):
Imagine if all guys had to walk around without any underwear on. That''s how important "size" of a diamond seems to be nowadays. If you get my drift.....
BUT if my boyfriend did get me a diamond I would know that no matter what the size it came from heart and you bet your butt I wouldn''t be asking for an upgrade before the wedding. Or for a very very long time after!

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/18/2007 11:12:08 PM
Author: lumpkin

As far as the size=amount of love, those of us who have been married a long time know that''s not true, and that a lot of women who have huge honkers are not in happy marriages, and some who have tiny ones are very happy. The reverse is also true. BUT, when you''re first getting married, it''s hard not to feel the pressure of getting the ''right'' size, at least I felt it when I married. I think if most of us are honest with ourselves, we can remember feeling that pressure, too.
definitely... which is why I didn''t get an e-ring. My husband said, "so do you want me to get you something" and really he would have had to borrow for even a $200 ring with a little chip (we''re not talking 1/4 carat, we''re talking like a 5 pointer!) and I thought it would be too embarrassing to have a ring with a stone that small so I said, "honey you can''t afford what I want (understatement obviously lol) so I''ll just wait" but I know if he could have afforded even *close* to 1/4 carat I would have been thrilled!!! And I might have gotten another ring later, but I never ever would have parted with that first one.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I hope that she can gain a bit of maturity, because in re reading her post it has a bit of a quality akin to Nah Nah, so there. I am the LAST person to say one should not upgrade if it can be done financially. The LAST one, and I admit it freely. BUT, coming home in a jealous snit when you are recently engaged and not married yet, proclaiming your ring is not big enough? This guy is not thinking clearly to reward that type of attitude. As a guy, I would NOT just say, Hey, got ya covered, one 3 carat stone coming up. What on earth will happen when she is out and sees a 10 carat stone? If this is how she sees things, she is likely to NEVER be truly content and satisfied with what she has, and that concerns me more than an individual item. ALL of us have bling lists, and we drool over things we see on here and in life, that is fine. But constantly evaluating and comparing and measuring will only make you unhappy. Plus the fact that she equates size with love, is what has bothered me. As many have so eloquently said, a large stone is NOT indicative of how much someone loves you. Ask Ellen Barkin how much Ron Perelman loved her, he SHOWERED her with jewels non stop and then royally dumped her. DId her 35 carat ring mean she would never face that? Who you marry is what matters, their love for you, and how they treat you, not just what they buy you. I salute and applaud all the wonderful ladies (and men) who have gorgeous things and have acquired new and great things recently. I love seeing pictures, and hearing the stories and "hearing" in the posts have excited and great it is to the person. However, the OP sounded, well, a bit bratty to me, like a little kid coming in from the playground and tantruming because someone has a nicer bike than they do...and daddy says, No worries, I will get you a BIGGER BETTER bike so you will be happy...which you know ain''t gonna work in the long run!

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/18/2007 6:47:12 PM
Author: Mara
haha oh i can think of a few!!
3.gif

CAN ANYONE HELP ME FIND AN ICY WHITE D OR E OR F ONLY????

musey you hit the nail on the head for me, lady.
1.gif
Glad to help
2.gif
haha

Have we reached lemon pie time yet? Maybe not quite? Enough for s''mores??
18.gif

Smores-stacked-200.jpg

Camilla

Rough_Rock
Once more...off topic...but musey, what are those *amazing* confections you''ve got there? I swear...we brits miss out on a lot!

justjulia

Ideal_Rock
The "problem" with wanting something right away, so expensive, is that you have to ask "where does it stop?" Because, next it will be the home, and the car, and vacations, and schools, and, well, you get the picture. Like fine wine, these things take time. These 20-somethings (and I know there are several on this board and I love the variety) just don''t seem to believe that they are going to live as long as they will (God willing) and that they will be married a long time, too.

I don''t know where she works, or if she works, but you really have to be careful what you wear when you are climbing that corporate ladder.

Oh well. We live and we learn. Some of us are not comfortable in our own skin for a long, long time.

I''ll take coconut cream, thank you.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Camila, they are smores, a camp fire treat, with marhsmallows and chocolate and graham crackers.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Mrssoontobealfonzo,

When I was your age (and it wasn't that long ago
2.gif
), I received a 0.41 Lucida. It is modest, but I was thrilled to bits that DF wanted to make that commitment to me. Ours has been a lengthy engagement due to factors extrinsic to our relationship, which has held fast. I have received an upgrade (admittedly, I pestered the poor fella sporadically), but that was only when he felt that he could truly afford it.

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
i have to admit, that, for me anyway, i get jealous, or resentful, or question the judgement, of the 20 somethings on here who have a 2 -3 carat rock.

I had to work my butt off for my 1.25 carat rock that I bought for myself-- and I''m 44.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/18/2007 11:12:08 PM
Author: lumpkin

As far as the size=amount of love, those of us who have been married a long time know that''s not true, and that a lot of women who have huge honkers are not in happy marriages, and some who have tiny ones are very happy. The reverse is also true. BUT, when you''re first getting married, it''s hard not to feel the pressure of getting the ''right'' size, at least I felt it when I married. I think if most of us are honest with ourselves, we can remember feeling that pressure, too.
See, that''s where I guess I''m different. I was THRILLED just to have a diamond, even if you did have to practically get a magnifying glass out to see it.
9.gif

I never once gave a thought to how mine compared to others. It was the ring he bought me, the ring he felt he could afford and I was happy with that. For 24 years.

I do believe things are different now, and not just with rings. Young people just starting out want first homes that compare with what it some of us took years to be in. Same with cars. Times are different. Not sure they''re better, but they certainly are different.

OK, I''ll quit, my age is showing.
9.gif

crown1

Brilliant_Rock
after i post this i am not going to comment on this thread again. i feel really sorry when this type of thread gets going. people post on this board everyday wanting, bragging, ranting about some thing that someone has done to them. some get sympathy or praise and then others who aren''t perceived as well get the likes of this thread. others have posted things i did not agree with or just plain did not believe but they were not ranted on. i know that i am probably considered about the same as the op has been but i feel that i need to say that some are judging her by a different measure than they are holding themselves up to. and i find the pie issue insulting. if you are tired of a thread don''t participate! that is what i am going to do here because i didn''t agree with all the op said but i agree less with those who are so offended with her but tolerate it from others.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/19/2007 8:19:03 AM
Author: ladykemma
i have to admit, that, for me anyway, i get jealous, or resentful, or question the judgement, of the 20 somethings on here who have a 2 -3 carat rock.

I had to work my butt off for my 1.25 carat rock that I bought for myself-- and I''m 44.

I think kids these days (and I''m 25) are very entitled. They think they deserve the world right this second...I''ve read so many articles lately about kids getting out of college and not wanting jobs that "only" pay 30,000 a year because they really think they''re special and should be making money like their parents make.

It probably has to do with how kids are raised, too. My parents are not very interested in status symbols, so they don''t have things like fancy cars, big diamonds, etc. I''m probably the most label-obsessed person in my family and that''s because I love fashion and am in the fashion industry. However, I had friends growing up whose parents were very into status and showing off their wealth. Obviously, these same friends are also obsessed with status and are the types to buy anything, no matter how ugly, as long as it has a label on it.

Plus, everything in our culture is more focused on status than it was even 10 years ago when I was in high school. I think part of this has to do with celebrity worship and seeing other 20 somethings (albeit rich and famous) with huge rocks.

I got engaged recently and I have a 1.5 carat (but non-clarity enhanced) diamond, too. However, I *know* it''s a great size, and I know it would be BEYOND bratty for me to ask for an upgrade before I''m even married! And during the whole diamond buying process, I knew in my heart I didn''t even need a ring this big or at all...but I am lucky and my boyfriend humored me. When I think about upgrading later on in life, I wonder if I''ll even want to shell out the money then, when I have more financial responsibilities!
3.gif

I think the OP''s post rubbed a lot of people the wrong way, including myself, and that''s why she got flamed. And Crown1, the pie talk is just to diffuse heated discussions, it''s not meant to offend anyone...

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don''t think we should all be so quick to judge. We don''t know anything about the OPs background and social circle. For all we know, 3+ ct rocks could be the norm. From the average person''s perspective a 1.5 ct E VS1 is an AMAZING engagement ring but for someone from a background of money and a high-social standing that might be modest.

I do agree however that a 3 ct assher is not going to be as impressive as you''re expecting. Try for a 5 or 10 ct....just kidding...

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
thing2of2, great post.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock

I''ll tell you what... I was just at the nail salon and I myself felt some envy...ENGAGEMENT ring envy.....cause I''m not even engaged yet lol, but really, my envy comes from the fact that their SO made that commitment, and I''m still just a lady in waiting. (*pity party of one*)

You''re so not alone on the pity-party LIW boat. I''m right there with you!!!

dtnyc

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/19/2007 1:19:14 AM
Author: diamondfan
If this is how she sees things, she is likely to NEVER be truly content and satisfied with what she has, and that concerns me more than an individual item. ALL of us have bling lists, and we drool over things we see on here and in life, that is fine. But constantly evaluating and comparing and measuring will only make you unhappy. Plus the fact that she equates size with love, is what has bothered me. As many have so eloquently said, a large stone is NOT indicative of how much someone loves you. Ask Ellen Barkin how much Ron Perelman loved her, he SHOWERED her with jewels non stop and then royally dumped her. DId her 35 carat ring mean she would never face that? Who you marry is what matters, their love for you, and how they treat you, not just what they buy you. I salute and applaud all the wonderful ladies (and men) who have gorgeous things and have acquired new and great things recently. I love seeing pictures, and hearing the stories and ''hearing'' in the posts have excited and great it is to the person.

DF- I could not agree with this more. Brilliantly put.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
to2 you summed it up quite nicely as did DF et al.

personally i don't have any issues with anyone who wants to do whatever with their money. hey it's your life, you have one, you live it as you see fit. i love seeing big new bling of course hehee.

but for me i do agree that many times we see a lot of young 20somethings on here with this idea that somehow what they have isn't good enough for others and that they need moremoremoremore. it is a definite generation mentality from what i can tell, not just on here but what i see around me as well...and my sister who is 24 displays it sometimes as well. it seems like so many more kids are spoiled growing up and it almost feels like a stronger sense of entitlement keeps getting built into each generation as time goes on...as america become a little more priveleged it seems. this is a generalization in a way...but it definitely seems things are different now than they were when my parents were younger or engaged or married or whatever. even my 2c+ stone at age 32 is mind-boggling to my mom who is still wearing a 5 stone 1ctw from like 15 years ago (she lost her first ring). i feel very lucky we are in a position where i can have what i wanted and my husband supports me and he also has his hobbies, but i can guarantee if i came home saying some girl at the salon had a bigger ring the first thing he'd ask me was 'how much was the manicure and pedicure' lol. my practical sweetie.

it's just different priorities which i can totally understand and support, everyone has their own 'thing'...but it was more the whole tone of the OP's post and the 'well what i have isn't bad is it?'...needing validation, then complaining to the bf and getting reassured that she was getting something bigger and better than whatever she had just seen etc. to me that's a slippery slope to slide down but again hey not my life. but yeah you come here and post something like that and you might get some flak! just like anytime ANYONE posts ANYTHING on here they might get some flak..it's a public forum and you have a ton of personalities co-existing here.

in any case, i love smores!!!!! mmmmm.

togal

Shiny_Rock
Date: 4/19/2007 8:58:01 AM
Author: crown1
after i post this i am not going to comment on this thread again. i feel really sorry when this type of thread gets going. people post on this board everyday wanting, bragging, ranting about some thing that someone has done to them. some get sympathy or praise and then others who aren''t perceived as well get the likes of this thread. others have posted things i did not agree with or just plain did not believe but they were not ranted on. i know that i am probably considered about the same as the op has been but i feel that i need to say that some are judging her by a different measure than they are holding themselves up to. and i find the pie issue insulting. if you are tired of a thread don''t participate! that is what i am going to do here because i didn''t agree with all the op said but i agree less with those who are so offended with her but tolerate it from others.

36.gif
THANK YOU for posting that!!! Finally, a voice of reason. I couldn''t agree more with exactly everything you posted! Very well said!

I am also done with this thread.
38.gif

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/19/2007 12:11:12 AM
Author: luckystar112

I explained it to my boyfriend like this (and I hope no one gets offended by this. lol):
Imagine if all guys had to walk around without any underwear on. That''s how important ''size'' of a diamond seems to be nowadays. If you get my drift.....
I thought it was the motion of the ocean ;-)

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
However, the OP sounded, well, a bit bratty to me, like a little kid coming in from the playground and tantruming because someone has a nicer bike than they do...and daddy says, No worries, I will get you a BIGGER BETTER bike so you will be happy...which you know ain''t gonna work in the long run!
Veruca Salt. "I want it NOW!"

This reminds me of my best friend, L. The spring of our between our sophomore year of high school I was at her house while she was arguing with her her mom about what exchange program she was going to go to that summer. Her mom was saying, "now L, I really want you to rethink going to France for the summer." to which my friend quite literally stomped her foot and said, "I''ve BEEN to France, I want to go to argenTINa!" and I said to her mom, "I''ll go to france!" I had never and still have not been to Europe and L has been all over the world, and since then covered most of the rest of it, is going on safari this summer... but I digress. I still tease her to this day about that. What a spoiled brat!!! Its one thing to appreciate the gifts money can buy... and it is another thing to be too good for them or that they are not good enough.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/19/2007 12:16:35 PM
Author: Cehrabehra

However, the OP sounded, well, a bit bratty to me, like a little kid coming in from the playground and tantruming because someone has a nicer bike than they do...and daddy says, No worries, I will get you a BIGGER BETTER bike so you will be happy...which you know ain''t gonna work in the long run!
Veruca Salt. ''I want it NOW!''

This reminds me of my best friend, L. The spring of our between our sophomore year of high school I was at her house while she was arguing with her her mom about what exchange program she was going to go to that summer. Her mom was saying, ''now L, I really want you to rethink going to France for the summer.'' to which my friend quite literally stomped her foot and said, ''I''ve BEEN to France, I want to go to argenTINa!'' and I said to her mom, ''I''ll go to france!'' I had never and still have not been to Europe and L has been all over the world, and since then covered most of the rest of it, is going on safari this summer... but I digress. I still tease her to this day about that. What a spoiled brat!!! Its one thing to appreciate the gifts money can buy... and it is another thing to be too good for them or that they are not good enough.
What a perfect analogy! Veruca Salt!
9.gif
HA HA HA!

I''ll go to France. I''ve been, but I certainly would never say no!
23.gif

I totally hear you! I went to highschool with a girl just like your friend. She too had difficult life decisions...

Cars in my HS ranged from the family stationwagon to the new foreign sports car. She wanted a porsche, but daddy saw fit to get her a NEW mercedes sedan, because of safety issues. She didn''t talk to him for weeks. (but she still drove the Mercedes) She had the genius to turn to me at her grad party where she got the car and ask for the sympathetic look after her little BF in front of everyone. I thanked her dad for the car, and grabbed her keys. Sad to say I wasn''t allowed to keep it.
39.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results