shape
carat
color
clarity

Nail Salon jealously lol

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

curiopotter

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/18/2007 2:32:08 PM
Author: Cehrabehra

okay, your mother is 100% correct, but I have to ask, so what''s the ring like?
31.gif
lol

verrrrrry simple.

.50 carat solitare that matches her hammered finish band. Both are about 2mm wide.

Her current wedding band has been rubbed SO thin, that the hammered finish is completely gone, and it''s now polished shiny and smooth. They wouldn''t match if she started wearing them together.

happyfeet1988

Shiny_Rock
I know i don''t comment much, but something about this thread caught my eye. I think that young women do concentrate on the size of the ring too much. I would know, i am very young. My boyfriend just recently bought my e-ring. It''s a .47 ct. diamond, around 3/4 ct. with the setting. He just found out that he is getting a promotion at work and will be making much more money, so i guess technically i could get about a .8 ct. center stone. But, i''m not going to. There are so many other things to save for, and my ring is certainly nothing to look down at, it''s beautiful. I think that if maybe Mrs.Soontobe really thought about this, she would realize that it''s not the size of the ring that matters, it''s what it meant when given to you. And i totally agree that it''s so fun to look at huge rocks, but wouldn''t that be fun like later on in your married life? I mean why have an engagement ring at all if you''re just going to upgrade on your wedding day like 6 months later? Just something to think about....

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/18/2007 2:34:06 PM
Author: kalispera

Date: 4/18/2007 2:23:51 PM
Author: curiopotter
I appreciate people''s jewelry, and I''m more in AWE than I am jealous. For me, it''s about the history of that diamond, and the cut, and all of the beautiful and unique nuances that I''ve learned here on PS that make diamonds like that so rare and unique.
Ok, don''t make fun of me...

I have to agree with curiopotter, when I look at my diamond, I do see sparkle and all that, but as a scientist, I also see a chunk of carbon. The thought of what diamonds undergo in order to become diamonds is incredible to me. The fact that all carbon on the earth originated in stars is so crazy. To know that something millions/billions of years old can be so beautiful and hold such emotional meaning in an engagement ring is awesome. I think I may be in the minority here, but I generally appreciate the chemistry behind diamonds when I see them before I notice the size/clarity/cut... That''s why my ''something old'' at my wedding will be my diamond. There''s not much more that''s older!!

I know.. I''m a dork... LOL
9.gif
I can''t make fun of you - I see that too. I''m also a (future) science major but I am more into physics than chemistry so what I see when I look at my diamond is all of the above but WAY too much analysis over how the light interacts with the facets and the facets with each other LOL

InlovewithJHK

Shiny_Rock
I have felt similar to the poster in the past. When I started dental school I thought my e-ring was big but when I saw some of the ROCKS some girls here had.... it did made me a tiny, little bit jealous. However, the more reading up
34.gif
I did on my diamond, the more I appreciated the amazing cut, color, and clarity combo the my husband picked out for me. He did an wonderful job and he spend so much time and effort to make me happy. I have a HUGE diamond that I got as a wedding present but I''ll never use it as an e-ring because mine means so much more to me.

What rubbed me the wrong way about the post was the "Oh by the way my asscher is a medium size. E vs1 1.55ct at 25 isnt bad right?" I wanted to respond "Oh yuck! That is TERRIBLE! You should chuck that diamond off your hand right now!"
20.gif
... it just struck me as asking for attention a bit too much. HOWEVER, I think with a simple emoticon like a winky face, it would have been percieved by me as a funny, cute comment and I would have not taken it in a bad way at all. It is difficult to express yourself on the internet and i''m afraid that I have also have had my words taken the wrong way online as well. I''ll give her the benefit of the doubt.
1.gif

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/18/2007 2:34:06 PM
Author: kalispera

Date: 4/18/2007 2:23:51 PM
Author: curiopotter
I appreciate people''s jewelry, and I''m more in AWE than I am jealous. For me, it''s about the history of that diamond, and the cut, and all of the beautiful and unique nuances that I''ve learned here on PS that make diamonds like that so rare and unique.
Ok, don''t make fun of me...

I have to agree with curiopotter, when I look at my diamond, I do see sparkle and all that, but as a scientist, I also see a chunk of carbon. The thought of what diamonds undergo in order to become diamonds is incredible to me. The fact that all carbon on the earth originated in stars is so crazy. To know that something millions/billions of years old can be so beautiful and hold such emotional meaning in an engagement ring is awesome. I think I may be in the minority here, but I generally appreciate the chemistry behind diamonds when I see them before I notice the size/clarity/cut... That''s why my ''something old'' at my wedding will be my diamond. There''s not much more that''s older!!

I know.. I''m a dork... LOL
9.gif
LOL You are not at all in a minority. Many people I meet do actually find the diamond''s properties and history really interesting. Proof positive, at dinner parties, I am cornered by curious people who do not ask about jewlery and setting info, but about how diamonds are formed and the #1 question, "What makes a diamond pink or brown or yellow?" People are fascinated by the process of mine to market as well. I can''t talk for others, but I am sure other gem enthusiasts will tell you people ask them technical questions because IT IS interesting stuff!

The history and chemistry of gemstone are what drew me in to getting a GG (after I saw something sparkly...
31.gif
)

marlonsboo

Rough_Rock
I am not new here, but this is the first time that I have posted a comment. I have been a lurker here for over a year. I must say that this is the 2 or 3 post that I have seen where someone is getting flamed for being honest.

Okay, I thought this was a place where diamond lovers could come ans share their diamond pictures and stats without being attacked. I dont agree with everything the poster says, but I do remember her apologizing for the way she worded her original post. So, are we not accepting apologies on this forum. I was taught as a child that if I did not have anything nice to say, then don''t say anything at all. If I was as offended as some people are saying they are, I would not dignify her post with a response.

crown1

Brilliant_Rock
hi nicrez! i have noticed that you are gg. are you employed in the jewelry industry or is this a side interest? if this is too personal simply ignore. not that it makes a bit of difference i am just curious. i think cflutist who used to post was also gg but only for her own enjoyment.

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
Hi Crown! A little of both, but I do not post on Ps for anything other than enjoyment when I find time.

Camilla

Rough_Rock
Hi, I'm a loooong time browser, and honestly I'm young and not engaged...I just like diamonds. This thread was really interesting and I feel compelled to respond
2.gif
Honestly, I like pretty things, jewellery and flowers and even nicely illustrated and bound books, I just like them. I know I'm young, but money does matter to me...I want to make money in the future so I can treat myself to the odd pretty-ness, but I also want to be financially secure cos the idea of racking up debts and being stressed out because of my finances *really* doesn’t appeal. A large portion of this thread has been referring to how people view their jewellery, and I do think that the OP really didn't mean to say that 'oh my husband will love me even more when I have a three carat rock on my hand'...although that was kinda what she said, so basically it was a really bad phrasing of the word. Personally, I wouldn't care if I didn't get an engagement ring...I mean, I would like one (lol, who wouldn't
9.gif
) but if for financial reasons I couldn't get one, I would be fine with a plain wedding band...just to show the world I am married (cos I feel happy enough when I go around with my boyfriend and people know we are together - but maybe that's a 'new to relationships' thing!) But apart from the wedding ring, the reasons why I would like an engagement ring are as follows - you are showing the world you are engaged (same kinda concept as the wedding ring) and IT'S PRETTY. I would like my wedding and engagement ring to primarily just a symbol showing that I’m married and have made a commitment to someone (like Cehrabehra said). I would like to keep my like of pretty things (lol, that’s putting diamond lust very simply, but whatever) and the symbolism of my rings apart (obviously there’s nothing wrong with getting a properly nice engagement ring, but I would never like to correlate how much I like my ring with what my relationship means to me…I’d like to keep how much I like my ring as just that – a like of pretty things).

P.S - would it be ok to make my first (and very modest) contribution to this forum by posting pics of my opal ring with teeny little side diamonds that I got for my 16th b'day? I only ask cos I don't wanna be posting something that people don't wanna see!

crown1

Brilliant_Rock
nicrez, good for you! it''s always nice to be able to work at something you love. i never took your posts any other way that is why i asked. thanks for the reply.

hikerchick

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/18/2007 4:41:41 PM
Author: Camilla

P.S - would it be ok to make my first (and very modest) contribution to this forum by posting pics of my opal ring with teeny little side diamonds that I got for my 16th b''day? I only ask cos I don''t wanna be posting something that people don''t wanna see!

Go for it . . . put up a thread in "Show Me The Ring" forum . . . we never say no to pretty bling pictures . . . big or small.
2.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
P.S - would it be ok to make my first (and very modest) contribution to this forum by posting pics of my opal ring with teeny little side diamonds that I got for my 16th b''day? I only ask cos I don''t wanna be posting something that people don''t wanna see!
We''d love to see your ring Camilla. Start a thread on it in the Show Me The Ring section!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Camilla, welcome to PS and we would LOVE to see pics of your ring, so post away!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
9.gif

crown1

Brilliant_Rock
hi camilla! by all means post your pics.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock

littlelysser

Brilliant_Rock
I love opals! Can''t wait to see your ring!!!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/18/2007 4:30:37 PM
Author: marlonsboo
I am not new here, but this is the first time that I have posted a comment. I have been a lurker here for over a year. I must say that this is the 2 or 3 post that I have seen where someone is getting flamed for being honest.

Okay, I thought this was a place where diamond lovers could come ans share their diamond pictures and stats without being attacked. I dont agree with everything the poster says, but I do remember her apologizing for the way she worded her original post. So, are we not accepting apologies on this forum. I was taught as a child that if I did not have anything nice to say, then don't say anything at all. If I was as offended as some people are saying they are, I would not dignify her post with a response.
It seems to me that people are reacting not only to this thread, but also other posts by soontobe. People develop a bit of a "reputation" (perhaps too strong a word) on the forums and then PSers may react more or less strongly to things they post based upon their previous posts. (There are certain posters we know NEVER to take seriously
28.gif
)

I could be wrong, though.

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/18/2007 5:15:52 PM
Author: musey

Okay, I thought this was a place where diamond lovers could come ans share their diamond pictures and stats without being attacked. I dont agree with everything the poster says, but I do remember her apologizing for the way she worded her original post. So, are we not accepting apologies on this forum. I was taught as a child that if I did not have anything nice to say, then don''t say anything at all. If I was as offended as some people are saying they are, I would not dignify her post with a response.
It seems to me that people are reacting not only to this thread, but also other posts by soontobe. People develop a bit of a ''reputation'' (perhaps too strong a word) on the forums and then PSers may react more or less strongly to things they post based upon their previous posts. (There are certain posters we know NEVER to take seriously
28.gif
)

No, Musey...You''re not wrong.

DMBsGirl

Brilliant_Rock
I''ll tell you what... I was just at the nail salon and I myself felt some envy...ENGAGEMENT ring envy.....cause I''m not even engaged yet
7.gif
lol, but really, my envy comes from the fact that their SO made that commitment, and I''m still just a lady in waiting. (*pity party of one*)

Soontobe...post pics of your ring and the new one when you get it! I love to see bling

marlonsboo

Rough_Rock
Okay musey, I see what you are saying. Therefore, I decided to skim through some of soontobe other posts. She clearly states in one of her other posts that she is 25. And not that I am that much older than her, but I just think she has some growing to do. I think that we can all say that the same things that excited us in our 20''s are not the same neccesarily the same things that excite us as we get older. Apparently, she is at the stage where size is a big factor for her. I have read alot of posts from older pricescopers that think size is still a big factor. If they didn''t, they would not upgrade.

I don''t think that she is saying that she does not appreciate her current ring, at all. I just think that as she was sitting there looking at someone who was close to her same age with a lot bigger stone and it caused a little envy there. Hell, I have envy everytime I get on this forum because I have been married twelve years and don''t have even a gold band to wear (long story and this is not about me).
19.gif

allycat0303

Ideal_Rock
Marlonsboo: Well, I think she has overstated the 1.55 E VS1 thing in many, many, many posts. I think combined with the fact that it comes off in a boasting tone, AND the fact that it is a clarity-enhanced diamond has got some of us a little riled up. Not to mention every girl that has a smaller diamond and feels a value judgement is being placed on the size of her ring= size of guy''s feelings.

We rarely get riled up over, "I want an upgrade" regardless of size, or "I''m jealous over someone''s ring". But consistently
amount of love=diamond size raises some eyebrows.

Incidently, you said you''re only a bit older then her but you''ve been married for 12 years???? I''m doing the math and that''s a story I want to hear! Welcome to PS by the way.

Sparkster

Brilliant_Rock
Mrs Soontobe....I don''t want to see your piddly 1.55, I want to see your 3 carat ring!!
31.gif
31.gif

My fiance went and spent a huge amount of money on his car (over $10K), bought $400 Ipod and got some $800 speakers (all within 6 months). I''ve been wanting a plasma TV for years and his line was ''we''ve got a tv (68cm) and anyway, plasmas are too expensive.'' He finally realised he was being unreasonable, spending all this money on things he wanted but saying no to the things I wanted. I never spend big on things unless we talk it through first whereas he will just go buy expensive things without talking to me first. By the way, I have no problem with his spending - after all, we can afford it. He realised he was being unreasonable and it was his love for me that made him realise it and because of his love for me he wants me to be happy. I understand what you meant by what you said - I did not take it the wrong way. Unfortunately, sometimes with wording and not being able to express emotion in the written word, other people may take things the wrong way.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi, I''m a loooong time browser, and honestly I''m young and not engaged...I just like diamonds. This thread was really interesting and I feel compelled to respond
2.gif
Honestly, I like pretty things, jewellery and flowers and even nicely illustrated and bound books, I just like them. I know I''m young, but money does matter to me...I want to make money in the future so I can treat myself to the odd pretty-ness, but I also want to be financially secure cos the idea of racking up debts and being stressed out because of my finances *really* doesn’t appeal. A large portion of this thread has been referring to how people view their jewellery, and I do think that the OP really didn''t mean to say that ''oh my husband will love me even more when I have a three carat rock on my hand''...although that was kinda what she said, so basically it was a really bad phrasing of the word. Personally, I wouldn''t care if I didn''t get an engagement ring...I mean, I would like one (lol, who wouldn''t
9.gif
) but if for financial reasons I couldn''t get one, I would be fine with a plain wedding band...just to show the world I am married (cos I feel happy enough when I go around with my boyfriend and people know we are together - but maybe that''s a ''new to relationships'' thing!) But apart from the wedding ring, the reasons why I would like an engagement ring are as follows - you are showing the world you are engaged (same kinda concept as the wedding ring) and IT''S PRETTY. I would like my wedding and engagement ring to primarily just a symbol showing that I’m married and have made a commitment to someone (like Cehrabehra said). I would like to keep my like of pretty things (lol, that’s putting diamond lust very simply, but whatever) and the symbolism of my rings apart (obviously there’s nothing wrong with getting a properly nice engagement ring, but I would never like to correlate how much I like my ring with what my relationship means to me…I’d like to keep how much I like my ring as just that – a like of pretty things).

this is why I really love my plain gold band wedding ring... it is so humble and yet speaks *volumes* :) And of course do share your ring, but post it in SMTR and start your very own thread! Or in the gemstone section :)

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/18/2007 5:35:01 PM
Author: Miranda

Date: 4/18/2007 5:15:52 PM
Author: musey

It seems to me that people are reacting not only to this thread, but also other posts by soontobe. People develop a bit of a ''reputation'' (perhaps too strong a word) on the forums and then PSers may react more or less strongly to things they post based upon their previous posts. (There are certain posters we know NEVER to take seriously
28.gif
)

No, Musey...You''re not wrong.
omg I''m so oblivious... I can''t think of anyone that I''d put in that category... .unless you''re all talking about me! LOL

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/18/2007 6:29:56 PM
Author: Cehrabehra

omg I''m so oblivious... I can''t think of anyone that I''d put in that category... .unless you''re all talking about me! LOL
Yeah, I must not be payin enough attention either....

Maybe it''s both of us.
9.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
haha oh i can think of a few!!
3.gif

CAN ANYONE HELP ME FIND AN ICY WHITE D OR E OR F ONLY????

musey you hit the nail on the head for me, lady.
1.gif

justjulia

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/18/2007 9:49:58 AM
Author:Mrs.soontobealfonzo
I went to get my nails done yesterday, and here come this women maybe late 20''s with a hug rock. I couldn''t stop staring then comparing it to mine. My rock started to look like a pebble. I went home, and told my fiance I was jealous and all he did was laugh. He told me that my upgrade was part of the budget for the wedding and not to worry. You''ll get 3ct on our wedding day. I now have two amazing things to look forward too. Making alex my husband and having a huge rock to show the world how much I mean to him. I guess im a bit spoiled but he did this to me. Oh by the way my asscher is a medium size. E vs1 1.55ct at 25 isnt bad right?

Has anyone ever gotten jealous of a big rock, then got an upgrade right after, and if so how did it feel when you did? Did you just want to go bigger ? I hope when I get the size of my dreams ill be satisfied.
Relax. There is time for it all. It sounds like you are marrying someone who cares about your feelings, and that is very sweet.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results