shape
carat
color
clarity

MY SETTING IS DONE!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/21/2007 10:32:07 AM
Author: diamondseeker2006

Date: 10/21/2007 6:49:30 AM
Author: Cehrabehra

Date: 10/16/2007 10:54:56 PM
Author: Gypsy
I''d rather keep mum on the details for the time being and I hope you all understand that I''m not trying to create drama at all by doing that, rather just the opposite. I''m just being fair, as I see it. I am disspointed, but I''m also realistic... I knew that there might be a chance that little modifcations are needed, but I''m also sure the wait will be worthwhile. Neil did also mention that it''s very easy to mail it to me on the way to Ocean, but well, if it comes that I''ll just ask Neil to send me pictures. I don''t know when the earliest is that I might get it, as I haven''t talked to Ocean about it yet. Neil only had a few minutes to check in at the end of the day, so Ocean was out of her workshop. Plus it''s her birthday right around now, and I know her family was planning to take her away for it, and not allowing her to work (I''ve known that for a while), so it could be a little while till I hear from her, which is fine. It''s not matter of life, death or health after all, its a piece of jewelry, when all is said and done.
2.gif
Perspective. And big girl pants.
4.gif
Hi gypsy :) I came on today to see if your ring was done, I''m sorry it isn''t. I sure can relate to some of this though... especially the biting my tongue to avoid drama part LOL Ocean made some design changes at the last minute hoping I would like them but I am still very unsettled about them. I am really loathe to part with my diamond again though.... ugh. I''m really excited for you that its almost done... her work is truely exquisite! :)

((((((layla))))))
Cehra, I hope you will send it back and get it settled now before it is too late. Seriously, you''ve waited this long...get it done the way you want it.
I''m with diamondseeker on this too, Cehra. If there is more to be tweaked on your ring, have Ocean do it now.; otherwise, whatever it is will always annoy you...
35.gif

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/21/2007 11:31:35 AM
Author: isaku5

Cehra, I hope you will send it back and get it settled now before it is too late. Seriously, you''ve waited this long...get it done the way you want it.
I''m with diamondseeker on this too, Cehra. If there is more to be tweaked on your ring, have Ocean do it now.; otherwise, whatever it is will always annoy you...
35.gif
I agree...

But I gotta ask (because I think it''s important for people who are considering using her), when you say she made "design changes at the last minute hoping I would like them", do you mean she did this without your KNOWLEDGE? I don''t know what standard protocol is...whether custom artists are allowed some creative freedom, or how major these changes were, but since a lot of PSers go custom with definite ideas of what they want, this just sounds potentially unsettling. Did you approve these changes because you were being nice, or were you even aware they were going to take place?

I think that "hoping you would like them" wouldn''t work for quite a few folks. Which is why I think some people need a benchman and not a designer.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

Date: 10/21/2007 6:49:30 AM
Author: Cehrabehra

Date: 10/16/2007 10:54:56 PM
I'd rather keep mum on the details for the time being and I hope you all understand that I'm not trying to create drama at all by doing that, rather just the opposite. I'm just being fair, as I see it. I am disspointed, but I'm also realistic... I knew that there might be a chance that little modifcations are needed, but I'm also sure the wait will be worthwhile. Neil did also mention that it's very easy to mail it to me on the way to Ocean, but well, if it comes that I'll just ask Neil to send me pictures. I don't know when the earliest is that I might get it, as I haven't talked to Ocean about it yet. Neil only had a few minutes to check in at the end of the day, so Ocean was out of her workshop. Plus it's her birthday right around now, and I know her family was planning to take her away for it, and not allowing her to work (I've known that for a while), so it could be a little while till I hear from her, which is fine. It's not matter of life, death or health after all, its a piece of jewelry, when all is said and done.
2.gif
Perspective. And big girl pants.
4.gif
Hi gypsy :) I came on today to see if your ring was done, I'm sorry it isn't. I sure can relate to some of this though... especially the biting my tongue to avoid drama part LOL Ocean made some design changes at the last minute hoping I would like them but I am still very unsettled about them. I am really loathe to part with my diamond again though.... ugh. I'm really excited for you that its almost done... her work is truely exquisite! :)

((((((layla))))))
Cehra, I hope you will send it back and get it settled now before it is too late. Seriously, you've waited this long...get it done the way you want it.

Hi Cehra, I'm glad you are back. I agree about sending yours in ASAP. But while I can't comment on what happened with your ring, the case with mine isn't that Ocean made any unilateral decisions. I created the confusion with a comment I made which lead directly to the problem with the design.. I said I didn't want a bumpy scalloped edge to the halo-- when really I do. I used the wrong terminology and what I meant to say was that I didn't want the melee size so large that it gave a really scalloped look especially since there is no edge. Ocean's been very careful to give me exactly what I ask for, or to talk to me about why something I like won't work. She was also very upset about the miscommunication, and blamed herself for not clarifying with me. Just a straight miscommunication, and she's been wonderful about resolving the issue.

ETA: I have to say that at times, when listening to you Cehra, it does sound like you would have been better served by a good benchman rather than a designer.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
1.gif

Date: 10/21/2007 5:06:41 PM

Hi Cehra, I''m glad you are back. I agree about sending yours in ASAP. But while I can''t comment on what happened with your ring, the case with mine isn''t that Ocean made any unilateral decisions. I created the confusion with a comment I made which lead directly to the problem with the design.. I said I didn''t want a bumpy scalloped edge to the halo-- when really I do. I used the wrong terminology and what I meant to say was that I didn''t want the melee size so large that it gave a really scalloped look especially since there is no edge. Ocean''s been very careful to give me exactly what I ask for, or to talk to me about why something I like won''t work. She was also very upset about the miscommunication, and blamed herself for not clarifying with me. Just a straight miscommunication, and she''s been wonderful about resolving the issue.

ETA: I have to say that at times, when listening to you Cehra, it does sound like you would have been better served by a good benchman rather than a designer.
I commend you Gypsy, for clearing up the miscommunication with your ring. Just know my commendation doesn''t mean squat.
2.gif

IMHO, if one is going to start posting about a particular ring process or journey here on PS, it''s beneficial for posters and lurkers following the story to get the scoop. Otherwise, I think it would be better to not post about it at all until it''s done. Why? Because there are many who think about going custom and use your stories essentially as a reference.

Custom can be a bumpy process, and it your case Gypsy, there has obviously been a hiccup. I COMPLETELY understand the desire not to create drama...sometimes things can snowball here on PS and I am certainly guilty of contributing to it from time to time (thank god for moderators), but not divulging information about hiccups can create doubts in readers minds about the designer (and sometimes the client
41.gif
), which isn''t fair to the designer if s/he doesn''t post on PS. I think what you did was admirable...you were upset...took a second to BREATHE (and asked people to respect that) and then later posted about the result AFTER you spoke to the designer and got the ball rolling again. Your post was also fair in that you took responsibility for the miscommunication. There are always two sides to every story and we often only hear one, but it does seem like when it comes to posting about your situation, you have been objective.

And for those trying to read between the lines, I''ll spell it out for you. Yes, Cehra''s last post on this thread made me cock my eyebrow a bit. I have always thought, (and probably always will) that Cehra is largely a nice, sweet, helpful, unmalicious person. I don''t think that she intentionally creates drama. I do, however, think she can unintentionally, via her phrasing on some posts, contribute to an opinion that Ocean''s strengths may not be in the area of communication - which isn''t fair to Ocean because she doesn''t contribute here on PS. That, coupled with the fact that not a lot of PSers have used Ocean to build a custom project puts Ocean reputation here in a delicate position IMHO.

I think coming here and stating that the designer changed design elements at the last minute does not cast the designer in the best light...but the issue is that none of us know what that means. It could be the most innocuous thing, but it has been left up to our interpretation. Obviously I am no wallflower and have a bit of an opinion here, but Cehra isn''t a wallflower either, and I would certainly encourage her to come back here and put me in my place.
9.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I agree TG. When I read that post, I hoped she''d be back soon to clear it up, as it really doesn''t leave Ocean in the best light.

I''m still hoping she does....

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
I spy .... a dangling implication! *sigh*

Will 2nd the kudos to Gypsy for her detailed report. It''ll be interesting to see how that frameless halo/underwire conundrum gets solved. Of course PICTURES will be delightful as well.
1.gif

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
TG... I agree that Cehra''s post was, probably unintentionally, unflattering. I can also say that it doesn''t match my experience with Ocean at all that she would make a unilateral decision without informing the client of a design change. I hope that Cehra does come to clear things up regarding that, as obviously I can only speak from my experience and not from hers.

Thank you for the kudos, I appreciate them as I really was trying to be fair to everyone and not just come on here to vent from my own (twisted at times...lol) view point. Ocean and I spent the last few days trading pictures of different types of pave and have decided on Craponia, or ''French Cut'' pave for my halo. Now that she knows I don''t mind the ''bumpy'' edge and don''t need a smooth wall, this is the method she suggested.

It is not full bead pave, the beads are not ''raised'', rather it is a method where a hole is drilled into the halo ''plate'' for the stone seat and cuts are made to create the setting for each stone. The holes are polished to maximize the stone''s reflection then there is a ''fishtail'' cut in-between each stone which can be seen on the outside of the halo and each stone is set with the created four half beads. It''s a labor intensive style but it creates a very seamless halo. The point size of my melee (about 1.4 to 1.5 mm diameter) isn''t large enough to set each stone with azures beneath, (these are the ''holes'' beneath the stones), but after reading Micheal B''s explanation of this that MsSalvo posted, I''m fine with that. Also, my stones will not (as they were previously) be set at a 30 degree angle but rather at a 15-20 degree angle which will pitch the lower edge of the halo plate under slightly, so I will not see as much of the underside of the halo side wire, or ''plate''. But, because of the depth of the stones, she will still need to keep the plate at about 1.5mm, but angled inward slightly.

I think we are really on the same page, and she has started work today on the setting as a result.
35.gif

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
"Craponia?" LOL, that''s the best piece of design jargon I''ve heard yet.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/22/2007 4:11:19 PM
Author: TravelingGal
'Craponia?' LOL, that's the best piece of design jargon I've heard yet.
I thought the SAME thing. LOL. It's pronounced with a french accent... doncha know!
3.gif

ETA: I should add that the elements that were changed from the 'old' halo are:

1. Melee point size. Original was 1.15 mm, now 1.4mm or 1.5mm depending on the plotting of the stones.
2. Pitch of the halo from 30 degrees to 15-20 degrees.
3. Style of pave, from a full four bead pave to 'craponia' (*snicker*)
4. Plot of stones around the halo.
5. Side view of the halo plate from straight to 'bumpy.'

So it's been quite a SIGNIFICANT change from the last halo incarnation.

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
Let''s see...Craponia with a French accent...hmmmm..okay I''ll try...crap- o KNEE -ah?
7.gif

Anyone else want to try????

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Gypsy, I just can''t wait to see the finished product. Good for you for remaining so calm.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/22/2007 5:00:23 PM
Author: isaku5
Let's see...Craponia with a French accent...hmmmm..okay I'll try...crap- o KNEE -ah?
7.gif

Anyone else want to try????

ROFLMAO... I *think* that's why it's more commonly referred to as "french cut" pave. *snicker*

Thank you Kim.
4.gif

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
gypsy,
it''s sounds like things are really coming together and i''m glad your are going to be able to get exactly what you want. I''m glad the MB info helped too and hope it might help others in the future. I can''t want to see this ring with the craponia pave halo
3.gif

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lol!

Gypsy, did she or does she now have a photo of the HW ring? I thought that was the kind of halo you were going for. But maybe you changed that idea and communicated something different to Ocean?

I agree completely about not being overly critical of designers on here since they often do not post, but since this is a consumer forum, I think it is immensely helpful to know about the process people go through. It helps us decide whether a particular designer would be right for us. I think what IS more risky is coming up with a design where there are no photos of the elements one wants. I think we are seeing that communicating these ideas in words rather than something concrete may result in a product that is not exactly as the customer envisioned.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Gee Gypsy, I can''t wait to see your new ring, crappy halo and all.
9.gif
2.gif

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/22/2007 6:03:26 PM
Lol!

Gypsy, did she or does she now have a photo of the HW ring? I thought that was the kind of halo you were going for. But maybe you changed that idea and communicated something different to Ocean?

I agree completely about not being overly critical of designers on here since they often do not post, but since this is a consumer forum, I think it is immensely helpful to know about the process people go through. It helps us decide whether a particular designer would be right for us. I think what IS more risky is coming up with a design where there are no photos of the elements one wants. I think we are seeing that communicating these ideas in words rather than something concrete may result in a product that is not exactly as the customer envisioned.

She does have several pictures of the HW halo. And she had them before Halo #1, the ''no scallopy bumpy'' thing threw her though because the HW halo clearly DOES have a bumpy scallopey thing going on... so she thought I just wanted the four prongs of that halo, but with a thin edge. Halo #2 is actually NOW not going to be the exact same type of pave as the HW halo... it''s going to be a finer (smaller melee) version of this halo by Leon... which is a Craponia ( pronounced : Crah-poneh I believe) type as well, apparently. Ocean felt that there would be too much metal showing in my melee size if we used the HW type of pave rather than this type.

Leon Sapphire.jpg

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
Wait, you're putting 'crappy onion rings' on your new ring?
33.gif

TG, ellen, I'm with you on those comments...
38.gif

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
LOL Ellen! Here''s the back of that one. Ocean also sent me a pictures of rings she''s done with this style of pave, and they are lovely. I''ll ask if I can post them, as I don''t feel comfortable doing so without her permission.

Leon Sapphire backGYps.jpg

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Gotta love those blinged out underwires. Looking forward to seeing any pics you can share with us.
1.gif

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Here''s an example of Ocean''s French Cut Pave Halo.

Ocean French Cut Pave Halo.JPG

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Here''s the side view of the same.

Ocean French Cut Pave Halo Side.JPG

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Here''s the "U" style pave I decided against, in favor of the "french cut" style. But the it''s also stunning. I twas a really hard choice.

Ocean U style Pave Halo.JPG

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/22/2007 6:35:24 PM
Author: surfgirl
Wait, you''re putting ''crappy onion rings'' on your new ring?
33.gif

TG, ellen, I''m with you on those comments...
38.gif
lol.gif

Kaliegh, I''m with you on the blinged out underwires.
30.gif

Gypsy, I really can''t wait to see your beauty.
cheerleader1.gif

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow, I have been dying to see what Ocean''s designed. WOW, beautiful!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/22/2007 7:14:36 PM
Author: Skippy123
She does lovely work, she really does.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/22/2007 7:16:12 PM

Wow, I have been dying to see what Ocean's designed. WOW, beautiful!
I couldn't wait to see your ring before but now, I CAN"T WAIT!!!!! heheee
3.gif
3.gif
runaround1.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/22/2007 7:18:31 PM

Date: 10/22/2007 7:16:12 PM

I couldn''t wait to see your ring before but now, I CAN''T WAIT!!!!! heheee
3.gif
3.gif
Well, here, while we''re waiting. *hands Skippy one of these*---->
martini.gif

Maybe that will help while away the time.
5.gif

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/22/2007 7:28:52 PM
Author: Ellen

Date: 10/22/2007 7:18:31 PM

I couldn't wait to see your ring before but now, I CAN'T WAIT!!!!! heheee
3.gif
3.gif
Well, here, while we're waiting. *hands Skippy one of these*---->
martini.gif

Maybe that will help while away the time.
5.gif
Oh, Ellen, did I ever tell you I think you are a really good friend for passing the beverages. hehee Thankies Miss Ellen!!! Cheers!
emthup.gif
emcocktl.gif

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for posting those Gypsy!!! They are really magnificent!!!! Thankfully you are dealing with pictures to be sure you''re on the same page. I think both designs are excellent!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/22/2007 7:29:53 PM

Oh, Ellen, did I ever tell you I thought you are a really good friend. hehee Thankies!!! Cheers!
I dunno. But I don't mind hearing it again if ya did.
9.gif
2.gif

ETA Skip, you edited on me, AGAIN.
lol.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results