shape
carat
color
clarity

My sapphire search

Lol go away husband. Let @Mjay play some more.

P.S. I can totally relate to this. That's why half of my pics have been taken under crappy lighting cuz I'm either hiding in a bathroom or in our bedroom lol.

giggly.gif
All I can say is thank goodness I have a work address to ship to!!

Haha I may have planned those yellow nails! I’ve been on a yellow kick lately. Omg it’s soooo amazing! I’m very very excited! I definitely appreciate your opinion! I’m a ridiculously indecisive person so the reassurance means the world to me.

You know what's funny... I'm terribly indecisive when it comes to personal choices. But I am so confident when giving opinions to friends/family (if asked, of course). What is that all about?!
1237388e4fuigm9vm.gif

I have to say one more thing... can you believe how old some of our gems are? Lapigems estimated your sapphire to be around 830 million years young. That means it was formed hundreds of millions of years before the dinosaurs first made their appearance. And before Pangea (the supercontinent) was assembled!! This is just mindblowing to me, still.

So jealous. My work closes way too early and I'd have a heart attack if a package somehow gets left outside the front office! :errrr:

Yeah, it's definitely not worth the risk! I will admit, I almost had a conniption one time when another suite received an important package. They even opened it before realizing it wasn't theirs. Luckily, we're pretty much all law offices, so they did the right thing by returning it (not that lawyers always do the right thing!). Plus, they signed for it, so I knew where it was. But still! My heart ceased to beat for a moment!! :shock:

Mjay

Brilliant_Rock
I have to say one more thing... can you believe how old some of our gems are? Lapigems estimated your sapphire to be around 830 million years young. That means it was formed hundreds of millions of years before the dinosaurs first made their appearance. And before Pangea (the supercontinent) was assembled!! This is just mindblowing to me, still.

That is soooo cool! I didn’t even notice that on the paperwork because I was so distracted by my littles. I’m so glad you pointed it out.

Crimson

Brilliant_Rock
One last thing... lol... that rough crystal info they include still gets me giddy. It's like adopting a gem-baby. :lol-2:

@Autumn in New England Yes, same here when I received my Mahenge spinel fr Rare Gemstone co; . Except the baby is very, very old!
So I am absolutely thrilled with the stone. It was definitely a bit different than what I was expecting but in a good way. Opening it was so exciting. I loved the packaging. They truly do a great job at making it feel special. The stone definitely has a major wow factor in person that is impossible to capture in photos. The color is so incredibly deep and vivid. It’s almost neon. I half expected it to glow in the dark! It’s very diamond like imo. The only semi negative thing that I have to say is that I do notice a slight greenish tone in certain lighting but I did expect that and it was clearly described as such by lapigems. It isn’t a big deal but just something that I should probably consider when choosing a metal. Size wise it is small but it is truly perfect for the piece. It will be surrounded by a halo of diamonds and then diamond baguettes in a petite ring for my size 5 finger. I’m going to play a bit more tomorrow but I’m thrilled and 99.99% sure I’ll send off to the designer within a week or two! Or GIA if I decide to cert.
@Mjay So happy that your quest ended brilliantly. Hope you will enjoy your new( (830million year-old) gemstone. Same age as my Mahenge spinel.
I agree that your metal choice could help with minimising the greenish tone.

Mjay

Brilliant_Rock
So my indecisiveness is out of control. I need opinions once again. Do you guys think this particular stone would look best in 18k or 14k yellow gold? It will be surrounded by a halo of diamonds so not a ton of metal directly next to the stone. The band will be plain though. I would typically go with 18k but I feel like I always baby my 18k pieces and I’m sick of it. They are a matte finish so that could have something to do with it but still I don’t wear my 18k solitaire as much as I would like to and I never feel comfortable pairing it with bands. I had planned to go with 14k for this particular piece because that’s what the designer does standard and it’s more “mind durable” for me. I figured it would be fun to buy a bunch of stack bands to wear with it (planning on a yellow sapphire eternity to start!) Obviously it’s easier to find 14k bands and less expensive. I’m constantly finding bands that I love but it’s always a special order because my pieces are 18k or platinum. It would be so nice to just be able to buy cheaper standard 14k bands. Now that I have the stone in hand I’m a bit concerned that 14 karat might end up looking a bit to peachy against my stone. But I suppose 18 karat might be to bright, not be enough contrast, or maybe even take away from the stone? Opinions? I know I’m so neurotic and probably way overthinking it :lol-2:

So my indecisiveness is out of control. I need opinions once again. Do you guys think this particular stone would look best in 18k or 14k yellow gold? It will be surrounded by a halo of diamonds so not a ton of metal directly next to the stone. The band will be plain though. I would typically go with 18k but I feel like I always baby my 18k pieces and I’m sick of it. They are a matte finish so that could have something to do with it but still I don’t wear my 18k solitaire as much as I would like to and I never feel comfortable pairing it with bands. I had planned to go with 14k for this particular piece because that’s what the designer does standard and it’s more “mind durable” for me. I figured it would be fun to buy a bunch of stack bands to wear with it (planning on a yellow sapphire eternity to start!) Obviously it’s easier to find 14k bands and less expensive. I’m constantly finding bands that I love but it’s always a special order because my pieces are 18k or platinum. It would be so nice to just be able to buy cheaper standard 14k bands. Now that I have the stone in hand I’m a bit concerned that 14 karat might end up looking a bit to peachy against my stone. But I suppose 18 karat might be to bright, not be enough contrast, or maybe even take away from the stone? Opinions? I know I’m so neurotic and probably way overthinking it :lol-2:

Hello fellow neurotic! Are you a Gemini, BTW? I am, and I blame it for all of my indecisiveness. :lol: But, seriously, these are all good questions and reasonable concerns. There's a case to be made for each gold karatage, but it sounds like the 14kyg is going to work best for everything you want out of this project. I have never found it to have a peachy look... just a paler yellow than the more rich-toned 18k. I think it will be a spectacular result! Really looking forward to seeing this guy dressed now. :appl:

Avondale

Brilliant_Rock
Well since you're asking, 18k through and through, it's just so much prettier to my eyes. But just go with whatever you like more. I agree with Autumn, I wouldn't describe 14k as peachy, it's more of a paler yellow. This is honestly the thing I don't like about it, the colour seems washed out. 14k white gold? Yes please. 14k yellow? Eeeeeeh....

Mjay

Brilliant_Rock
Hello fellow neurotic! Are you a Gemini, BTW? I am, and I blame it for all of my indecisiveness. :lol: But, seriously, these are all good questions and reasonable concerns. There's a case to be made for each gold karatage, but it sounds like the 14kyg is going to work best for everything you want out of this project. I have never found it to have a peachy look... just a paler yellow than the more rich-toned 18k. I think it will be a spectacular result! Really looking forward to seeing this guy dressed now. :appl:

Haha I’m actually a Pisces and blame a lot of my traits on it. Although I love the richness of 18k, I’m starting to lean back towards 14k. I’ve been playing with the sapphire against my yellow gold pieces so much that 14k and 18k are beginning to look the same :lol-2:

Haha I’m actually a Pisces and blame a lot of my traits on it. Although I love the richness of 18k, I’m starting to lean back towards 14k. I’ve been playing with the sapphire against my yellow gold pieces so much that 14k and 18k are beginning to look the same :lol-2:

I guess we all do that! lol So, yeah, each karatage has its place. 18k is a bit richer and 14k is a bit more durable. It sounds like the 14k would give you peace of mind, so that might be what's most important here. Plus, the softer shade of yellow might really set off the sapphire, as opposed to the stronger tone of 18k. Don't worry about the 14k looking peachy though. It will not. Good luck! :)

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock

Interesting, I’ve never babied 18k gold. Is it because you want to keep the finish pristine?

Maybe you can take pictures of your stone against 18k gold, or as the vendor to do it next to both?

I personally prefer 18k for fine jewelry because it feels more “luxury”, i love the richness, and I really don’t think 18k is all that soft and fragile. 20k or 22k, definitely moreso. But if you need some reassurance, google antique 18k ring and look at everything you’ll find! If they’d endured a 100 years, they can surely sustain wear and tear!

Just a thought

Mjay

Brilliant_Rock
Interesting, I’ve never babied 18k gold. Is it because you want to keep the finish pristine?

Maybe you can take pictures of your stone against 18k gold, or as the vendor to do it next to both?

I personally prefer 18k for fine jewelry because it feels more “luxury”, i love the richness, and I really don’t think 18k is all that soft and fragile. 20k or 22k, definitely moreso. But if you need some reassurance, google antique 18k ring and look at everything you’ll find! If they’d endured a 100 years, they can surely sustain wear and tear!

Just a thought

Yes, I definitely baby them. I have a thing for matte and brushed finish 18k yellow. I’ve had 2 18k yellow solitaires and have a few 18k bands. I find that the finish blemishes pretty easily. It’s ironic because I absolutely love patina on my platinum but major scratches and dings bug me on my gold. I won’t even stack my 18k solitaires with bands. It is probably because of the matte finish though. I do however have an old antique brushed 18k band (Came to me polished but I had my jeweler brush it) that has some major dings, scratches and a huge warped indent in one side. I have also noticed that my 18k yellow pieces have a lot of color variation depending on the designer. I put my 18k from Megan Thorne (matte finish) next to my grandmothers 14k band (polished) and I can’t see any color difference. I’ve been playing around and I’m not really loving one over the other. I’m waiting to here back from the designer. I’m curious to hear her thoughts. I’ve seen very few 18k pieces from her.

I'm usually an 18k girl, but I have to say, I think I like the 14k better here! The 18k looks a bit too warm, almost brassy, next to the sapphire (to my eyes). What do you think?! And, again, your stone is fantabulous!!

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
I'm usually an 18k girl, but I have to say, I think I like the 14k better here! The 18k looks a bit too warm, almost brassy, next to the sapphire (to my eyes). What do you think?! And, again, your stone is fantabulous!!

I completely agree! The 14k is super harmonious color-wise! The 18k competes a little

And it is more “mind clean” - I’m guessing the issues with 18k have to do with the matte finish. Gold eventually patinas too of course, but nothing like platinum - I love a patina on platinum!

I completely agree! The 14k is super harmonious color-wise! The 18k competes a little

Do you think we're leaning that way because the sapphire is more of a cool yellow, and perhaps the warmth of the 18k clashes a bit? I'm really interested to see how this project turns out! It's going to be a ballerina ring, if I'm not mistaken.
1074.gif

Mjay

Brilliant_Rock

Yes! That’s exactly what I’m seeing. I wish I had an 18k piece that isn’t matte or brushed to more accurately compare though. I’m a sucker for rich 18k but I’m just not feeling it here. I’ll admit that she actually looked nice with my platinum but I’m dead set on yellow.

tchoupitoulas

Rough_Rock
totally gorgeous! on a very long yellow sapphire search myself and its reassuring to watch you find your perfect piece :)

Mjay

Brilliant_Rock
totally gorgeous! on a very long yellow sapphire search myself and its reassuring to watch you find your perfect piece :)

Thank you!!! Good luck on your search! I think I just saw your post. I’ll have to join in the fun! I love the hunt!

Mjay

Brilliant_Rock
My gorgeous ring arrived yesterday! I am very happy with it. I’m glad I stuck to my gut and went smaller with the sapphire. The size is perfect on me and exactly what I had envisioned. I think I touched on this story awhile ago but to recap: my 5 year old has been telling me that he wants to bring me a yellow sapphire ring for quite some time now. He noticed me looking at yellow sapphires on Instagram and fixated on the idea of bringing mom a pretty yellow sapphire ring. Every single day he says “I have a secret for you” and whispers in my ear “I love you so much. I’m going to bring you a beautiful yellow sapphire ring”. When I received a video of the ring after it was completed, I had my husband show my son the video and ask him if he wanted to buy the ring for mommy! He was absolutely thrilled and was so excited to surprise me with it after kindergarten yesterday. The weather was terrible all day yesterday but I managed to snap a decent photo as the sun was setting after I put my boys to bed. I’ll probably spam with a ton of photos later. 46CF3F77-491C-4D13-BD3A-896A7D9DD8F5.jpeg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results