shape
carat
color
clarity

My sapphire search

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@LilAlex Your chrysoberyl screams Autumn to me, which you know I like. :bigsmile: It's sort of a rich goldenrod color. Gorgeous!!

Thank you, @Autumn in New England! It's mounted in green gold and it is "autumn" -- and I guess so am I. :cool2: As I think I have said on here before (or at least in my head), it is not "honey-colored" but rather the color of actual honey -- much more orange than "tan."

I hope to see it again some day! I was told they were going to use it to model another wax carving for me for a similar-sized stone (metallic-gray sapphire) but instead they measured it and made a crappy resin CAD model that had no character and the (mock) stone was recessed way down and it was kind of a fiasco. So I need to get the stone back and the ring back and this guy is not such a good listener. (They had a sensational goldsmith but they did not tell me that he left during the pandemic -- so all this had been sent to the opposite coast unbeknownst to me.)

Screen Shot 2022-05-08 at 12.04.37 AM.png

@LilAlex It really is quite a unique shade! I bet the brilliance is blinding in person. So how long has this guy had it? Bless your heart for being so chill about the whole situation. It must be a man thing! I'd be hounding him for it back. Of course, finesse is an art, so kudos to you for using restraint. :ugeek:

P.S. I love that you used green gold for this stone... so unexpected and rich looking! Is it satin or polished?

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@LilAlex It really is quite a unique shade! I bet the brilliance is blinding in person. So how long has this guy had it? Bless your heart for being so chill about the whole situation. It must be a man thing! I'd be hounding him for it back. Of course, finesse is an art, so kudos to you for using restraint. :ugeek:

P.S. I love that you used green gold for this stone... so unexpected and rich looking! Is it satin or polished?

Thank you! It's not perfect in every light but it is great in most and I love it outdoors on a cloudy day like when we hike. I think it does black out (ish) in direct bright sun.

Yes, it's a matte/satin finish. It's a little more banged up now but not much. I had a good reason for wanting green gold but I am not sure what it was. =)2 The stone has a slightly strange report from GIC that calls it "orange-green" or something similar but not brown.

About the delay, well, I thought I would "let the master work." This ring and the one before that he (actually, his goldsmith) made for one of my kids were just perfect, imo. And I expected that I'd eventually be asked to approve the wax model. And with work and the pandemic and the weeks turning to months turning to...

Mjay

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you, @Autumn in New England! It's mounted in green gold and it is "autumn" -- and I guess so am I. :cool2: As I think I have said on here before (or at least in my head), it is not "honey-colored" but rather the color of actual honey -- much more orange than "tan."

I hope to see it again some day! I was told they were going to use it to model another wax carving for me for a similar-sized stone (metallic-gray sapphire) but instead they measured it and made a crappy resin CAD model that had no character and the (mock) stone was recessed way down and it was kind of a fiasco. So I need to get the stone back and the ring back and this guy is not such a good listener. (They had a sensational goldsmith but they did not tell me that he left during the pandemic -- so all this had been sent to the opposite coast unbeknownst to me.)

Screen Shot 2022-05-08 at 12.04.37 AM.png

Wow!!! what a stunning ring! fingers crossed you get it back. I would be livid.

Mjay

Brilliant_Rock
I still haven't heard back from the vendor that said they had suitable yellow sapphire rough. Timeline was- I initially reached out. 3 days later they responded that they had two pieces of suitable rough, one from IIakaka and one from Australia. I was absolutely thrilled and responded right away with a few questions. I waited and waited but no response. 3 days later I sent another email asking if they received my previous response. They responded a day later stating that they had received my email and that they had to go through their rough and get back to me. I thought this was weird since I had assumed based on their first email that they already knew what options they had for me. 4 more days have passed without a response. I'm getting a not so great vibe but perhaps I'm just being ridiculous and impatient? I’m planning to give it a few more days before I rule them out. I found 3 blue contenders that I might just pull the trigger on.

Mjay

Brilliant_Rock
My Son (almost 5 years old) and I went on a mother and son date last night. He bunched up the yellow wikkistix that the restaurant gave him and said “I made you a yellow sapphire ring Mom!” It’s crazy how much they pay attention. It made my mama heart so happy. B99013E2-94AB-4C83-865F-CD164F0A9011.jpeg

Mjay

Brilliant_Rock
Just an update on my yellow sapphire search. I didn't have any luck at all finding a vendor with yellow sapphire rough. Geologic Spectrum did say they had perfect rough for my project in stock but they didn't care to respond as promised. I considered nagging them but decided that a vendor that I have to nag is probably not a good fit for me. I ended up in the San Diego area thursday- saturday so I reached out to gem fix but just my luck they were closed on Friday for an extended holiday weekend. Anyways, I've actually found quite a few stones that i'm considering but i'm incredibly indecisive. Im going to share them here. I would love to know your thoughts

Mjay

Brilliant_Rock
stone #1 from Gemfix. I REALY like this one. It feels overpriced to me for a heated stone. $2495 1.72ct. Would love to know everyones thoughts on it. I have actually seen a few members consider this stone and pass on it. Someone posed about it in 2016. Im wondering why it hasn't sold? I was hoping to view it in person. I'm a bit annoyed that they don't provide additional videos and photos because I feel like the video of this stone is terrible. Screen Shot 2022-05-29 at 10.44.44 AM.png

Mjay

Brilliant_Rock
next up- a few stones from Earths Treasury. At first glance of their inventory I didn't really see anything that felt right because I was hoping for more of a lemon yellow. After resetting a bit I looked again and found these to be suitable options. I feel much more comfortable purchasing from Earths Treasury than gem fix because they seem to have great customer service, provide additional videos and have free shipping and returns. Its an easy no risk purchase and I love that. I could even purchase a few stones to view! I just reached out for videos. The top one speaks to me but im concerned it might be a bit to small (5.4mm. hoping for 5.8-7mm range) and its not eye clean. The second one appears to have a bit of blue in it. size is great though. I'll see how I feel about it in a video. the 3rd appears a bit green but I really like the cut. The 4th is great size and clarity but it might be to "orange" for me. description is golden yellow.
Screen Shot 2022-05-29 at 10.47.23 AM.png Screen Shot 2022-05-29 at 10.47.01 AM.png Screen Shot 2022-05-29 at 10.47.12 AM.png
Screen Shot 2022-05-29 at 10.46.49 AM.png

Mjay

Brilliant_Rock
Next up- 2 from adamant gems. I'm a bit nervous about purchasing from Sri Lanka. They seem to have good reviews. I love the bright happy yellow. What do you guys think of the cut on these? Screen Shot 2022-05-29 at 11.02.41 AM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-05-29 at 11.03.16 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-05-29 at 11.03.16 AM.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 35

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Next up- 2 from adamant gems. I'm a bit nervous about purchasing from Sri Lanka. They seem to have good reviews. I love the bright happy yellow. What do you guys think of the cut on these?

His cuts are excellent and his photos are honest, imo. Those two are small stones. I bought a few stones from him over the years including one of my very favorites. (EDIT: It's that chrysoberyl upthread (!) -- forgot where I was!) His niche is buying smaller, decently-cut stones and improving them with precision or near-precision cutting. Being US-based, I was nervous about the Sri Lanka thing, too. It is expensive for him to ship and it will come in a 19th-century-looking wax-sealed, string-and-brown-paper-wrapped tin box as is required. I have usually "batched" things when I have bought from him to save on shipping for him. I love that he buys anything beautiful -- need not be iconic color but must be appealing. There are no duds in his inventory. My only complaint is that they tend to be quite small (< 2 ct) whereas this is the guy I would like to buy my once-in-a-lifetime stone(s) from.

Ivan (at Adamant) is a great guy. I have never returned anything I bought from him so I do not know how/if that would work. He even talked me out of something once. It can not be easy there in Sri Lanka now :oops2:

I don't care for the 1.72 from GemFix above -- too washed out, color-wise. The top one from Earth's Treasury looks cool but beware of "parti-colors" in a tiny stone -- not sure you will ever really appreciate it. In a 5-ct, yes (think tourmaline); in a one-ct, not so sure...

Last edited:

Mjay

Brilliant_Rock
His cuts are excellent and his photos are honest, imo. Those two are small stones. I bought a few stones from him over the years including one of my very favorites. (EDIT: It's that chrysoberyl upthread (!) -- forgot where I was!) His niche is buying smaller, decently-cut stones and improving them with precision or near-precision cutting. Being US-based, I was nervous about the Sri Lanka thing, too. It is expensive for him to ship and it will come in a 19th-century-looking wax-sealed, string-and-brown-paper-wrapped tin box as is required. I have usually "batched" things when I have bought from him to save on shipping for him. I love that he buys anything beautiful -- need not be iconic color but must be appealing. There are no duds in his inventory. My only complaint is that they tend to be quite small (< 2 ct) whereas this is the guy I would like to buy my once-in-a-lifetime stone(s) from.

Ivan (at Adamant) is a great guy. I have never returned anything I bought from him so I do not know how/if that would work. He even talked me out of something once. It can not be easy there in Sri Lanka now :oops2:

I don't care for the 1.72 from GemFix above -- too washed out, color-wise. The top one from Earth's Treasury looks cool but beware of "parti-colors" in a tiny stone -- not sure you will ever really appreciate it. In a 5-ct, yes (think tourmaline); in a one-ct, not so sure...

thank you so much for the info on adamant. That is very helpful. He sounds like a great vendor and your testimony makes me more confident purchasing from him. I am looking for a small stone (under 7mm ish) but admittedly I just took a look at his sold gems and he had a few slightly larger yellows that I like better than the 2 he has now. I might wait for his next release. I hadn’t considered that a parti might not look so great on such a tiny stone. Definitely something to consider. Thank you!

voce

Ideal_Rock
Love the first one from Adamant gems. Are you going to share details about the project after purchasing the sapphire?

Mjay

Brilliant_Rock
Love the first one from Adamant gems. Are you going to share details about the project after purchasing the sapphire?

Funny you say that because I just received videos of the stones from Adamant this morning at that one is my top contender! If it was a hair larger I’d pull the trigger asap. I REALY love it! I am using this stone as a center for a petite ballerina ring. I had a rose gold 8mm moissanite center ballerina ring awhile back but I sold it. It was gorgeous but I hardly wore it. It was a bit to large for my lifestyle, I realized I’m not a fan of synthetic stones, and I grew tired of rose gold. I decided to recreate something similar in yellow gold with a smaller sunny yellow center. This is a pic of the ring that I sold. New ring will be very different but similar vibe. F8B3EEAC-C06C-4711-A1C9-180AADBE6CDA.jpeg

voce

Ideal_Rock
Funny you say that because I just received videos of the stones from Adamant this morning at that one is my top contender! If it was a hair larger I’d pull the trigger asap. I REALY love it! I am using this stone as a center for a petite ballerina ring. I had a rose gold 8mm moissanite center ballerina ring awhile back but I sold it. It was gorgeous but I hardly wore it. It was a bit to large for my lifestyle, I realized I’m not a fan of synthetic stones, and I grew tired of rose gold. I decided to recreate something similar in yellow gold with a smaller sunny yellow center. This is a pic of the ring that I sold. New ring will be very different but similar vibe. F8B3EEAC-C06C-4711-A1C9-180AADBE6CDA.jpeg

That sounds awesome! Good luck finding the right size sapphire!

tarung81

Rough_Rock
Trade
Mjay, the color, and size you looking for shouldn't be too difficult to find in a 'normal' gem market.

-yellow, orangey yellow, brownish orange
-5.8-7mm max
-overall cushion or square shape
-something unique and precision cut
-eye clean (inclusions not visible to the naked eye)

The issue right now in the gem trade, in general, is due to COVID lockdowns and supply chain disruptions a lot of stones are not traveling globally, and therefore a lack of supply everywhere. So, getting it in Sri Lanka is a good bet.

We traders are definitely experiencing issues in Bangkok as well, which is considered the capital for rubies and sapphires.

The only issue I have buying gems in general through photos or video is that all can be edited now and really also depends on what camera they are using.

Anyways, best of luck with your sapphire purchase!

Regards,

Tarun Gupta, GIA GG

Mjay

Brilliant_Rock
Mjay, the color, and size you looking for shouldn't be too difficult to find in a 'normal' gem market.

-yellow, orangey yellow, brownish orange
-5.8-7mm max
-overall cushion or square shape
-something unique and precision cut
-eye clean (inclusions not visible to the naked eye)

The issue right now in the gem trade, in general, is due to COVID lockdowns and supply chain disruptions a lot of stones are not traveling globally, and therefore a lack of supply everywhere. So, getting it in Sri Lanka is a good bet.

We traders are definitely experiencing issues in Bangkok as well, which is considered the capital for rubies and sapphires.

The only issue I have buying gems in general through photos or video is that all can be edited now and really also depends on what camera they are using.

Anyways, best of luck with your sapphire purchase!

Regards,

Tarun Gupta, GIA GG

Thank you. That makes perfect since. I can’t seem to get my hands on anything suitable here in the US. I was originally hoping for a unique custom cut from a US vendor but no one can find any suitable rough from their suppliers.

Mjay

Brilliant_Rock
I received a video of the earths treasury stones yesterday! They were very quick to respond and answered all of my questions. I’ll attach a screenshot of the video that they sent. I was really hoping to find a winner from them. The stones are gorgeous but the only one Im considering is the top one. I think the golden yellow and parti are indeed to orange for me and the one that I was hoping I would love (bottom) is just way to pale. I love the cut on the top one but the size is 5.6mm and I’m still thinking it’s a bit to pale.

Attachments

• F7BD8F71-4781-4BEC-BE94-58DB406E5EB0.png
    F7BD8F71-4781-4BEC-BE94-58DB406E5EB0.png
    775 KB · Views: 62
I received a video of the earths treasury stones yesterday! They were very quick to respond and answered all of my questions. I’ll attach a screenshot of the video that they sent. I was really hoping to find a winner from them. The stones are gorgeous but the only one Im considering is the top one. I think the golden yellow and parti are indeed to orange for me and the one that I was hoping I would love (bottom) is just way to pale. I love the cut on the top one but the size is 5.6mm and I’m still thinking it’s a bit to pale.

This is a lovely selection of sapphires, but I sense you're not really in love with any of them. Am I right? I truly believe just the right stone is out there for you, my friend. Don't settle!

This is a lovely selection of sapphires, but I sense you're not really in love with any of them. Am I right? I truly believe just the right stone is out there for you, my friend. Don't settle!

I agree. It's hard trying not to buy something just so you can get that over with. But the wait til be worth it once you find The One.

Mjay

Brilliant_Rock

Yea you are definitely right. Those are all out. I’ve been casually searching for about a year and aggressively searching for almost 6 months so I’m starting to get frustrated and questioning everything. I originally wanted a petite piece but now I’m questioning that. I have a good feeling about the smaller one from adamant but now I’m hesitant about the size and purchasing overseas. I want the assurance of an easy hassle free return. Im thinking it might be easier to have a lemon yellow chrysoberyl custom cut so I’m starting to strongly consider that.

Mjay

Brilliant_Rock
I agree. It's hard trying not to buy something just so you can get that over with. But the wait til be worth it once you find The One.

You’re so right. I’ve grown tired of my search. I’ve always been an extremely indecisive person. I’ve been anticipating this project for so long that I think I’m becoming increasingly indecisive along with impatient. I actually have another exciting project in the works so once that one gets moving I’ll be able to focus on that one for a bit.

Yea you are definitely right. Those are all out. I’ve been casually searching for about a year and aggressively searching for almost 6 months so I’m starting to get frustrated and questioning everything. I originally wanted a petite piece but now I’m questioning that. I have a good feeling about the smaller one from adamant but now I’m hesitant about the size and purchasing overseas. I want the assurance of an easy hassle free return. Im thinking it might be easier to have a lemon yellow chrysoberyl custom cut so I’m starting to strongly consider that.

I can so sympathize with this. I've been there! And whenever I would force a purchase, I'd inevitably regret it. I'm not saying you're doing that, it's just been my experience. Sometimes there is just those 1 or 2 gems that are elusive, and it takes a bit more time to find the perfect one. Keep at it... be it a sapphire or chrysoberyl, you'll find the stone that will make your heart sing! I think you're making the right decision here.

Mjay

Brilliant_Rock
I can so sympathize with this. I've been there! And whenever I would force a purchase, I'd inevitably regret it. I'm not saying you're doing that, it's just been my experience. Sometimes there is just those 1 or 2 gems that are elusive, and it takes a bit more time to find the perfect one. Keep at it... be it a sapphire or chrysoberyl, you'll find the stone that will make your heart sing! I think you're making the right decision here.
Thank you. I appreciate your kind words. I just received a video of a cushion from the rare gemstone company. If I remember correctly, I thought I had seen you mention a purchase from them. How was your experience with them?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results