shape
carat
color
clarity

My sapphire search

Mjay

Brilliant_Rock
I've been searching for the perfect sapphire for a project for about 10 months now. I originally set out looking for a burnt orange (no luck) color but have since shifted my search to yellow or orangey yellow. I've reached out to countless vendors with no luck. So far, I haven't been able to find anything that I love that is already cut and all of the custom gemcutters that I've reached out to can't find any suitable rough. I'd love to know your opinions on the etiquette of reaching out/ waiting for vendors to get back to me. For example, I reached out to yet another vendor a few days ago. The vendor did not have any suitable rough but is checking his suppliers (I'm not optimistic that he will find anything). In an effort to not waste anyones time, I've been waiting to hear back before moving along to the next possibility on my list. Each time the wait is frustrating. Would it be rude to reach out to several vendors at once? I don't want to waste anyones time looking but i'm getting extremely impatient and frustrated with my search. At this point i'm considering the possibility of a blue sapphire or even shifting to chrysoberyl. Any advice, links, or vendor recs would be greatly appreciated.

What I'm looking for:
-yellow, orangey yellow, brownish orange
-5.8-7mm max
-overall cushion or square shape
-something unique and precision cut
-eye clean (inclusions not visible to the naked eye)

Vendors that I've looked at or reached out to:
-Dan stair- no suitable rough
- Jim Buday (shinypreciousgems)- no suitable rough. Has a sapphire parcel coming in a month or so but most likely yellows will be more green parti
-Jeff white- no suitable rough
-Stag and Finch- no suitable rough- checking suppliers but haven't heard back in a few days
-Geologic spectrum- no response
-Earths treasury- Great colors but I'm not a fan of the cutting on their cushions
-Gemfix- they have one stone that I'm casually considering but i feel its very overpriced. I may take a trip down if I decide to shift to blues.
-Africa Gems- not loving anything in their inventory at the moment
-Marie w Amaterragems (cut my gorgeous garnet pictured below) taking a 6+ month break from cutting.
- I have looked at the websites of every vendor on the approved list many many times

I'm aware that I'm looking for a needle in a haystack but i'll attach pictures from various instagram vendors so you all can get an idea of whats in my head as far as cut goes.

Last edited:

Mjay

Brilliant_Rock
A46CF934-DE97-4B44-8E7F-98BA006D142B.jpeg

*top pic belongs to marie at amaterragems, blue and orange belong to excess design, pink stone (clearcutgems), yellow sunstone photo belongs to thegemstonemanllc

Attachments

• 8AC1BC88-F0C1-4F10-954F-10E162625164.jpeg
    8AC1BC88-F0C1-4F10-954F-10E162625164.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 24
  • 4DA1531B-4E14-438E-B004-880FB54D77A1.jpeg
    4DA1531B-4E14-438E-B004-880FB54D77A1.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 25
  • 20EF3EC6-939D-409E-B19A-8D23C357C93C.jpeg
    20EF3EC6-939D-409E-B19A-8D23C357C93C.jpeg
    989.6 KB · Views: 25
  • 1E475F8E-B254-487B-906B-3095389FDBE7.jpeg
    1E475F8E-B254-487B-906B-3095389FDBE7.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 25
  • D204826D-141F-4D85-9FEB-B8DD547EC300.jpeg
    D204826D-141F-4D85-9FEB-B8DD547EC300.jpeg
    88.8 KB · Views: 25
  • D689C00C-C4EB-4666-A881-4195C8A1A61C.jpeg
    D689C00C-C4EB-4666-A881-4195C8A1A61C.jpeg
    213.5 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:

Crochet_Sparkles

Rough_Rock
Lisa Elser's Winter Catalogue has a couple of yellow sapphires..not quite what you are looking for Lisa Elser 1.png

Attachments

• Lisa Elser 2.png
    Lisa Elser 2.png
    121.4 KB · Views: 10

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The colour is very reminiscent of spessartite. I presume you want it as a sapphire for its durability?

fel

Shiny_Rock

Or you can ask Doug to cut something for you.... yellow-sapphire_DM.jpg

He also has a beautiful orange (with a tinge of gold), but not the right shape/size.
orange-sapp.jpg

Last edited:

Mjay

Brilliant_Rock
Lisa Elser's Winter Catalogue has a couple of yellow sapphires..not quite what you are looking for Lisa Elser 1.png

Probably not quite cut wise but the color and size of that top one are appealing . Might be worth looking into. Thank you!

Mjay

Brilliant_Rock
The colour is very reminiscent of spessartite. I presume you want it as a sapphire for its durability?

I did have a vendor recommend spessartine! unfortunately I am looking for more durability for this particular project.

Mjay

Brilliant_Rock

Or you can ask Doug to cut something for you.... yellow-sapphire_DM.jpg

He also has a beautiful orange (with a tinge of gold), but not the right shape/size.
orange-sapp.jpg

thank you! I’ll add him to my inquiry list

I'm going through the very same thing trying to source a chrysoberyl, @Mjay, so I can relate to your frustration. Lots of long waits on initial responses, then more long waits on follow-up Q&As, and lots of no-replies as well. It's really hampering my hunt. In any event, I'm afraid I won't be much help in searching for your stone, but I do wish you the best of luck finding exactly what you're after!! And I look forward to seeing it when you do. :D

Mjay

Brilliant_Rock
I'm going through the very same thing trying to source a chrysoberyl, @Mjay, so I can relate to your frustration. Lots of long waits on initial responses, then more long waits on follow-up Q&As, and lots of no-replies as well. It's really hampering my hunt. In any event, I'm afraid I won't be much help in searching for your stone, but I do wish you the best of luck finding exactly what you're after!! And I look forward to seeing it when you do. :D

Ugh well there goes my shift to chrysoberyl. Is there a particular tone that you’ve been after? I’m curious because I was planning on cutting a larger chrysoberyl after I complete my current project. It’s such a frustrating process. I feel like I’m spending all day hoping for email responses. I’m used to super responsive vendors when purchasing diamonds so this is excruciating to me. With most of the lapidarists that I’ve communicated with, it’s been at least 3 or 4 days between responses.

Ugh well there goes my shift to chrysoberyl. Is there a particular tone that you’ve been after? I’m curious because I was planning on cutting a larger chrysoberyl after I complete my current project. It’s such a frustrating process. I feel like I’m spending all day hoping for email responses. I’m used to super responsive vendors when purchasing diamonds so this is excruciating to me. With most of the lapidarists that I’ve communicated with, it’s been at least 3 or 4 days between responses.

Hi @Mjay... So, yes, I've been looking for the coveted highlighter greenish-yellow variety with a bit of that vivid "neon" glow. I've found a few pieces, but they're all smaller than I'd like. I did check in with some of the usual suspects to ask if any rough was available for faceting, but no luck. AJS Gem had some promising leads, but they are less vibrant than they appear. I find that their photos and videos are overly saturated. Anyway, it seems inventory turns over constantly though, so by the time you get around to that project, something might turn up. =)2

I feel your pain... I have been checking my emails 100x/day. And every time I do with no response, my frustration grows. I guess these folks have plenty of business. Sometimes I feel like I have to hound them. It shouldn't be that way. I wrote one prominent vendor/cutter 3 weeks ago. He said he has 2 stones that may work. Each time I check in, he says he's working on getting me the specs. :think: Anyway... hang in there!

Zarya

Rough_Rock
I haven't been able to find anything that I love that is already cut and all of the custom gemcutters that I've reached out to can't find any suitable rough.
Great cut examples you've posted, Mjay, that's helpful.

Would you consider buying an inexpensive, sufficiently large native-cut gem with the right clarity, color, etc., and then having it precision cut to your specs?

If so, I'd be happy to help you look. I'm looking all over for cool-colored sapphires for myself, and would be more than happy to point out any warm candidates I come across.

Mjay

Brilliant_Rock
Hi @Mjay... So, yes, I've been looking for the coveted highlighter greenish-yellow variety with a bit of that vivid "neon" glow. I've found a few pieces, but they're all smaller than I'd like. I did check in with some of the usual suspects to ask if any rough was available for faceting, but no luck. AJS Gem had some promising leads, but they are less vibrant than they appear. I find that their photos and videos are overly saturated. Anyway, it seems inventory turns over constantly though, so by the time you get around to that project, something might turn up. =)2

I feel your pain... I have been checking my emails 100x/day. And every time I do with no response, my frustration grows. I guess these folks have plenty of business. Sometimes I feel like I have to hound them. It shouldn't be that way. I wrote one prominent vendor/cutter 3 weeks ago. He said he has 2 stones that may work. Each time I check in, he says he's working on getting me the specs. :think: Anyway... hang in there!

That makes since. I very rarely see the bright highlighter color. Fingers crossed that you find it sooner rather than later. I finally found a vendor that has yellow sapphire rough in stock in multiple shades but they must have plenty of business because I can’t seem to get a response from them. I think it might be time for me to throw in the towel and move along to another project or color.

Mjay

Brilliant_Rock
Great cut examples you've posted, Mjay, that's helpful.

Would you consider buying an inexpensive, sufficiently large native-cut gem with the right clarity, color, etc., and then having it precision cut to your specs?

If so, I'd be happy to help you look. I'm looking all over for cool-colored sapphires for myself, and would be more than happy to point out any warm candidates I come across.

Thank you! I definitely want precision cut for this particular project but I’m almost ready to throw in the towel and move along to something else. I’ve always wanted an oval or cushion cut sapphire in a chunky old European diamond halo. If I decide to shift to that; a native cut would probably be preferable to me.

That makes since. I very rarely see the bright highlighter color. Fingers crossed that you find it sooner rather than later. I finally found a vendor that has yellow sapphire rough in stock in multiple shades but they must have plenty of business because I can’t seem to get a response from them. I think it might be time for me to throw in the towel and move along to another project or color.

When you do find just the right stone (is this for the ballerina ring?), the result will be that much sweeter. So don't give up, but maybe shift focus for a bit. :) Good luck!!

OneKuhlChic

Shiny_Rock
I've been searching for the perfect sapphire for a project for about 10 months now. I originally set out looking for a burnt orange (no luck) color but have since shifted my search to yellow or orangey yellow. I've reached out to countless vendors with no luck. So far, I haven't been able to find anything that I love that is already cut and all of the custom gemcutters that I've reached out to can't find any suitable rough. I'd love to know your opinions on the etiquette of reaching out/ waiting for vendors to get back to me. For example, I reached out to yet another vendor a few days ago. The vendor did not have any suitable rough but is checking his suppliers (I'm not optimistic that he will find anything). In an effort to not waste anyones time, I've been waiting to hear back before moving along to the next possibility on my list. Each time the wait is frustrating. Would it be rude to reach out to several vendors at once? I don't want to waste anyones time looking but i'm getting extremely impatient and frustrated with my search. At this point i'm considering the possibility of a blue sapphire or even shifting to chrysoberyl. Any advice, links, or vendor recs would be greatly appreciated.

What I'm looking for:
-yellow, orangey yellow, brownish orange
-5.8-7mm max
-overall cushion or square shape
-something unique and precision cut
-eye clean (inclusions not visible to the naked eye)

Vendors that I've looked at or reached out to:
-Dan stair- no suitable rough
- Jim Buday (shinypreciousgems)- no suitable rough. Has a sapphire parcel coming in a month or so but most likely yellows will be more green parti
-Jeff white- no suitable rough
-Stag and Finch- no suitable rough- checking suppliers but haven't heard back in a few days
-Geologic spectrum- no response
-Earths treasury- Great colors but I'm not a fan of the cutting on their cushions
-Gemfix- they have one stone that I'm casually considering but i feel its very overpriced. I may take a trip down if I decide to shift to blues.
-Africa Gems- not loving anything in their inventory at the moment
-Marie w Amaterragems (cut my gorgeous garnet pictured below) taking a 6+ month break from cutting.
- I have looked at the websites of every vendor on the approved list many many times

I'm aware that I'm looking for a needle in a haystack but i'll attach pictures from various instagram vendors so you all can get an idea of whats in my head as far as cut goes.

Think of it as though your looking for a job. You wouldn't apply to just one job opening, you'd apply to as many as possible.

When reaching out advise that you are contacting several other vendors.

Double E

Brilliant_Rock

I feel that fine chrysoberyl is even harder to be found than high quality sapphires. And yes I am also looking for that vivid greenish yellow gem~it’s such a durable stone that super suitable for a ring~

Mjay

Brilliant_Rock
When you do find just the right stone (is this for the ballerina ring?), the result will be that much sweeter. So don't give up, but maybe shift focus for a bit. :) Good luck!!

Yes, it’s for the ballerina ring. I was hoping to get it checked off of my list before I get tempted by anything else. I’ve seen a few unique blue sapphires that I think would be incredible. I had something yellow in mind but I might just have to scratch that itch with a different project

Mjay

Brilliant_Rock
So not to change the subject on my own thread but I’ve been eyeballing this for years

www.etsy.com/listing/1187890420

Unfortunately I doubt there is any way that it can be sized down enough for me but I’m thinking that if my current project doesn’t work out that that I will try to find a nice oval or cushion and have DK recreate it

I’m currently waiting to hear back from a vendor who claims they have the rough. If that falls through than I’m taking a short flight to San Diego to browse at gemfix. If I don’t find anything suitable; I’ll either shift to blue or move along to this diamond halo project.

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Adamant International has a cool orange chrysoberyl that was just listed -- pretty re-cut in the 2-ct range. (I bought a lovely big brown one from Ivan a few years back.)

Ella

Brilliant_Rock
Staff member
Premium
Folks, I've removed a number of posts in this thread that violate our policies. Vendors may NOT solicit sales on Pricescope.

Zarya

Rough_Rock
Folks, I've removed a number of posts in this thread that violate our policies. Vendors may NOT solicit sales on Pricescope.

Hi, Ella.

I've been a PriceScope member for 11.5 years.

It appears you have deleted my posts in this thread because I
a. suggested the OP check out sapphires at Earth's Treasury, posted a shot of some examples, and
b. told the OP I had a good experience with Gemfix (which she was already planning to visit), and that the building it and another vendor are in is closed on the weekends

Does that mean you think I am a "vendor"? I am not a vendor (of anything) and I have no affiliation with any jeweler or anyone in the field. I am a researcher, and I like to help people find what they're looking for. I don't know this user but I gave her some tips because I am a fellow sapphire lover and hunter.

Isn't that what we're here for, to share jewelry photos and ideas and give advice to other users when they ask for it?

I hadn't posted any comments until maybe a month ago. I've seen people get negative and feelings get hurt, and preferred just to absorb all the helpful info.

I wonder whether you deleted posts of mine on other threads where I recently gave suggestions on finding a certain gem, or posted gems I like.

This is not a very warm welcome to the world of posting on PriceScope.

Zarya

Rough_Rock
It appears you have deleted my posts in this thread

Other users in this thread recommended specific sources like Lisa Elser, Bespoke Gems, and Finewater Gems. Why were my posts about two vendors deleted and theirs were not?

breakfacets

Rough_Rock
Mine was one deleted, because I said I'd like to collaborate. Sorry if I broke the rules!

Mjay

Brilliant_Rock
Adamant International has a cool orange chrysoberyl that was just listed -- pretty re-cut in the 2-ct range. (I bought a lovely big brown one from Ivan a few years back.)

Thank you. Nothing quite right for this project but I have actually been eyeballing that small brown cushion chrysoberyl for awhile now. I’d love to see a picture of your chrysoberyl!

Ella

Brilliant_Rock
Staff member
Premium
Other users in this thread recommended specific sources like Lisa Elser, Bespoke Gems, and Finewater Gems. Why were my posts about two vendors deleted and theirs were not?

Hi Zarya, We didn't delete any posts of yours in this thread, are you sure they actually posted? Perhaps it was in a different thread?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results