shape
carat
color
clarity

My ring from WF has finally shipped. But worried...

Yimmers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The ring is gorgeous! However, since the donut is too low for you, I think going the Vatche route or the local jeweler (I'd want to see actual pictures or a model of this so-called "identical" setting first.) sounds like the best resolution.

I don't blame you for going with an ideal stone and to work hard to get the setting right rather than get the setting you like with a non-ideal and overpriced stone.

Girlfriday17

Shiny_Rock
My fiancé proposed!

Here is the ring.

64482A93-96DC-417D-8B29-414CDFA05B08.jpeg CE6D203B-F683-46AC-AFCE-D8C7D49522D1.jpeg BFA5AB53-7F7F-4D96-985F-2B7632FD0922.jpeg 91362177-AD8E-40CE-84FB-2CE7CD5AEE1D.jpeg 93682F24-B08F-404B-9C09-33A148451BBC.jpeg F66F0BAF-6690-4DE0-A11C-0865B25972F6.jpeg

The height of the diamond and the prongs are fine. We want to get the band remade though. It’s too rounded and not knifey enough. I also want more height to the shank. It looks too low and kind of off.

It will also be hard to pair with wedding band because the height differences. The Tiffany setting has more height so it’s more balanced with the wedding band.

Here is my ring with a 3mm wedding band
0F7CA8D7-6B48-4B37-A619-060FEBB0074E.jpeg

Here is a ring I tried on at Tiffany with a 3mm wedding band as well. It just looks more balanced to me ECD8A173-3CEA-4D55-B352-DA80C5396785.jpeg

It’s so beautiful. Hopefully you get the band the way you imagine.

Do you live in Alberta per chance? I grew up in Edmonton and your picture in your avatar looks like it’s overlooking the river.

Mamajemmy

Shiny_Rock
It is not just the prongs that need to be protected. The diamonds from the wedding band can saw into the shank of the ering too. The purpose of the spacer is to protect the entire ring and the spacer will endure the damage. Diamonds with exposed girdles will eat into any metal that it is in constant contact with. Others here have had the same dilemma and the only real fix is either a spacer or a different kind of wedding band altogether.

Yes— my friend had a Tiffany solitaire and experience this same thing. She had to have it totally remade and now wears a spacer or just wears it alone.

mochidiamonds

Rough_Rock
@mtran89, I was searching for wf knife-edge pics and came across your post, did you ever send your wf knife-edge back to get the band remade?

Dmndsr4evr11

Brilliant_Rock
Here’s a shot of the ring from my proposal. I’ll keep you guys updated on the ring once it’s remade! Thanks for all your help and input!

B25C9A7B-E9FD-47D3-9C43-E33200275FFB.jpeg

Beautiful ring! Congrats!!!Perfect size for you. I hope you were able to get the setting squared away. Please post pics when your can.

mtran89

Shiny_Rock
It’s so beautiful. Hopefully you get the band the way you imagine.

Do you live in Alberta per chance? I grew up in Edmonton and your picture in your avatar looks like it’s overlooking the river.

Yes I am in Edmonton Alberta :)

@mtran89, I was searching for wf knife-edge pics and came across your post, did you ever send your wf knife-edge back to get the band remade?

Beautiful ring! Congrats!!!Perfect size for you. I hope you were able to get the setting squared away. Please post pics when your can.

The ring is being completely remade!

I decided to get both my eternity band and e-ring designed together. Liza suggested I do it this way, so they can make sure that they will sit together perfectly and the prongs won’t touch. I also want to minimize the gap as well.

I decided on a 3mm shared prong open basket style for the eternity band. It sits about 2.5-3mm high, so the donut will need to be around this height to give enough clearance for the head of the e-ring.

I’m currently waiting on the CAD drawings, they should be complete tomorrow I think! I’m super excited to see what they have designed for me!

Cristallo

Shiny_Rock
I’m excited to see the final result! The Tiffany six prong setting will never go out of style.

I’m trying to decide between a pretty large G and F coloured diamond. Did you see any tint in your G diamond? Even from the side view?

mtran89

Shiny_Rock
I’m excited to see the final result! The Tiffany six prong setting will never go out of style.

I’m trying to decide between a pretty large G and F coloured diamond. Did you see any tint in your G diamond? Even from the side view?

I just made a new thread about the concern with the color of my diamond :)

Dmndsr4evr11

Brilliant_Rock
Yes I am in Edmonton Alberta :)

The ring is being completely remade!

I decided to get both my eternity band and e-ring designed together. Liza suggested I do it this way, so they can make sure that they will sit together perfectly and the prongs won’t touch. I also want to minimize the gap as well.

I decided on a 3mm shared prong open basket style for the eternity band. It sits about 2.5-3mm high, so the donut will need to be around this height to give enough clearance for the head of the e-ring.

I’m currently waiting on the CAD drawings, they should be complete tomorrow I think! I’m super excited to see what they have designed for me!
Hope it all works out. Can’t wait to see the set!

mochidiamonds

Rough_Rock
@mtran89, can't wait to see your new set, please post pics!! :)I am also worried about finding a band that would sit at the same height as the ER and pondering having them make the band also so they fit. I am looking at the 7 stone Annette or the 9 stone Kimberly (1.26 ct 14 pointers). I like the profile of the Kimberly more, but I think this would have a higher height than the WF knife edge and I would probably need to customize and use seven 8 pointers. Which one are you looking at that's the shared prong open basket? Is that similar to the Tiffany embrace 0.57ct band?

mtran89

Shiny_Rock
@mtran89, can't wait to see your new set, please post pics!! :)I am also worried about finding a band that would sit at the same height as the ER and pondering having them make the band also so they fit. I am looking at the 7 stone Annette or the 9 stone Kimberly (1.26 ct 14 pointers). I like the profile of the Kimberly more, but I think this would have a higher height than the WF knife edge and I would probably need to customize and use seven 8 pointers. Which one are you looking at that's the shared prong open basket? Is that similar to the Tiffany embrace 0.57ct band?

WF doesn’t make a shared prong open basket eternity so I had to have it custom made. It’s similar to the Tiffany Embrace 3mm 1.64 tcw.

I think 8 pointers would still have too much height and the band would still hit the prongs on the WF Knife Edge as the head on it sits really low. The donut on the WF Knife Edge is only 1mm high. So your band would need to be only 1mm high which I don’t think is possible. That’s why I had to ask them to increase the band height and the donut to match the height of my eternity band.

-hope-

Rough_Rock
The Tiffany ring in the previous photo is 2.5 carats with a 3mm wedding band.

So I decided to stop by Tiffany’s and try on wedding bands and look at their rings again.

The SA said that how the Tiffany setting is designed, their 3mm wedding band does not touch the prongs of the e-ring.

We tried it and it really doesn’t touch. What I realized is that not only is the band taller on the Tiffany, but the donut is also very tall.

The basket/head sits on the very top of the shoulders of shank vs starting in the middle of the shank like on mine. This gives enough clearance for the wedding band.

They measured the height of their 3mm wide wedding band and said it was also 3mm high. So the height of the donut would need to be at least this.

Here is my ring next to the Tiffany setting and their 3mm wedding band. You can see how tall and large their donut is and the basket/head is set on the very top of the shoulders of the shank. 344FA8B8-1ED8-41D7-8522-D0E04BB8B6D9.jpeg
C6E199A1-8027-4053-885E-8C7168C3F004.jpeg

I’m going to just have the ring fully redesigned and start over again. If I can make it pair nicely with a wedding band and I don’t have to wear a spacer, it’ll be worth it for me.

These pictures perfectly show why the Tiffany setting has a minimal gap between the ring and band! It’s all about the donut! I knew their donuts were higher, but these pictures shows the exact issue and why you don’t need a spacer with the Tiffany setting!
Thank you very much for sharing.

I am in the process of redesigning my E-ring and your posts have been very helpful! I (unpopular opinion) tried the Tiffany setting and wasn’t a big fan of the knife edge. I am not crazy about the Tiffany setting, but I am crazy about not having big gaps between my wedding band and engagement ring mainly cuz I prefer the no gap look and cuz the ring space in my finger is VERY short and I don’t have a lot of space to leave wasted

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results