shape
carat
color
clarity

My ring from WF has finally shipped. But worried...

mtran89

Shiny_Rock
We purchased a 2.738 G VVS2 ACA with a WF Classic Knife Edge setting from WF and I wish that the experience went more smoothly...

I may post my full experience in another thread(Long story short it took ~2 months to complete)

The ring kept coming back with issues and I felt like the detailed notes and pictures I gave were not being relayed. Because of this, they kept having to redo the ring, so a lot of time was wasted.

We had booked a venue for the proposal and were afraid we were not going to get the ring on time. I started to become frustrated and worried that they were not going to meet our deadline.(They didn't) I understand that this is a busy time of the year, but my ring was supposed to have been started in mid-end of October. We are also from Canada so we need to take into consideration time to cross the border and customs etc which delay things.

I finally received my final photos and now I am worried the knife edge to me looks softened? I specifically requested that the knife edge not be softened and that I like a sharp knife edge. I brought this up and they told me that they think it is a knife edge.. I didn't get to confirm with the Master Jeweller if he did, or did not soften it. I wanted additional photos to make sure the knife edge wasn't softened, but the ring was already being packed to ship. I really didn't want to delay the ring further as it was already behind schedule. If anything I'll just ship it back after the proposal...

I had requested this "crease" on the sides of the shank be smoothed out on the ring. I was wondering if there was miscommunication and they softened the knife edge as well??? I just really don't know at this point and am really exhausted from this whole experience.

The red line is the “crease” I wanted smoothed out (2nd rendition of the ring):
2E1DFA49-0F37-468F-BF91-37FEE17C4B35.jpeg

These next images are the final photos of the ring. Can you guys look at the photo and let me know what you think? I hope that when I receive the ring I wont be disappointed..The shank looks rounded to me and not a knife edge. I've tried other knife edge rings and they don't look rounded like this.

Semi-Custom-Six-Prong-Knife-Edge-Engagement-Ring-in-Platinum-by-Whiteflash_12.22_3qProngs.jpg Semi-Custom-Six-Prong-Knife-Edge-Engagement-Ring-in-Platinum-by-Whiteflash_12.22_top.jpg Semi-Custom-Six-Prong-Knife-Edge-Engagement-Ring-in-Platinum-by-Whiteflash_12.22_ttr.jpg Semi-Custom-Six-Prong-Knife-Edge-Engagement-Ring-in-Platinum-by-Whiteflash_12.22.3q.jpg Semi-Custom-Six-Prong-Knife-Edge-Engagement-Ring-in-Platinum-by-Whiteflash_12.22_hand.jpg Semi-Custom-Six-Prong-Knife-Edge-Engagement-Ring-in-Platinum-by-Whiteflash_12.22-with-Annete-W...jpg

This is the photo of the WF Classic Knife Edge. The sides look way sharper to me.
Knife-Edge-Solitaire-Engagement-Ring-in-Platinum_gi_1121_3-33683.jpg

This is the photo of what I wanted the prongs to look like. I said I wanted them as thin and delicate as possible.

DA8D4A52-8E86-42EC-A350-EB1C74B2AB4E.jpeg

This is what i received originally. (1st rendition of the ring) Prongs are thick, not symmetrical from the side view and the crease on the shank wasn't smoothed.

80de7b50-1ede-4bfa-9e28-fd0ec54b298e.JPG

daisygrl

Brilliant_Rock
The prongs look fixed (they look more delicate than the first try). Your diamond might also be bigger than the one posted by WF on Insta, thus the need for sturdier prongs? I like that they aligned the prongs the way they do not cover the arrows (I do not like when that happens). As far as the knife edges, it is hard to tell from the pic. It might be something that you need to judge once you receive it. Kudos to you for sticking out this long with the project. I did not - I gave up with them after the first CAD image (I also wanted a simple Tiffany-style setting) but it was getting rather difficult (for such a simple design) and went elsewhere.

HS4S_2

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It does look rounder versus stronger knife edge but it could be the photos?

mtran89

Shiny_Rock
The prongs look fixed (they look more delicate than the first try). Your diamond might also be bigger than the one posted by WF on Insta, thus the need for sturdier prongs? I like that they aligned the prongs the way they do not cover the arrows (I do not like when that happens). As far as the knife edges, it is hard to tell from the pic. It might be something that you need to judge once you receive it. Kudos to you for sticking out this long with the project. I did not - I gave up with them after the first CAD image (I also wanted a simple Tiffany-style setting) and went elsewhere.

Yeah :( I just wanted a tiffany style knife edge setting as well. It definitely has been quite the journey... I just wanted to throw in the towel and just accept the ring the way it was because the back and worth was getting too much and we were getting way too close to the deadline.

The diamond in the photo on instagram is a 4 carat I believe!

daisygrl

Brilliant_Rock
Yeah :( I just wanted a tiffany style knife edge setting as well. It definitely has been quite the journey... I just wanted to throw in the towel and just accept the ring the way it was because the back and worth was getting too much and we were getting way too close to the deadline.

The diamond in the photo on instagram is a 4 carat I believe!

Additionally, did you request it to sit high? It sits rather high with a gap in between prongs. just throwing it out there in case you did not request it.

mtran89

Shiny_Rock
Additionally, did you request it to sit high? It sits rather high with a gap in between prongs. just throwing it out there in case you did not request it.

No I requested it lower. And they said this is the lowest they recommend setting it and they can’t go any lower....

Feel like I’m going to have to send it back.

I feel so disappointed. If I send it back I don’t want to wait another 2 months for my ring. They have not been punctual at all.

Last edited:

daisygrl

Brilliant_Rock
No I requested it lower. And they said this is the lowest they recommend setting it and they can’t go any lower....

I feel so disappointed. If I send it back I don’t want to wait another 2 months for my ring. They have not been punctual at all.

Perhaps, the pics are misleading. They are really not that great in quality to tell the details. Wait until you get it, examine it carefully, and do not be afraid to request corrections if need be. It is a lot of money, it should look the way you want it.

NicoleNeedsHelp

Brilliant_Rock

I’m new to all of this- but have you considered a hand forged setting? If you look at my post from today, Canera posted that prongs can be made more delicate with hand forced settings. I’m in the process of learning all about it because Victor Canera is making a ring for me. I have no idea if you can hand forge a knife edge. If you really love the diamond, and it looks amazing- maybe consider having someone else make the setting, if that is an option.

mtran89

Shiny_Rock
I’m new to all of this- but have you considered a hand forged setting? If you look at my post from today, Canera posted that prongs can be made more delicate with hand forced settings. I’m in the process of learning all about it because Victor Canera is making a ring for me. I have no idea if you can hand forge a knife edge. If you really love the diamond, and it looks amazing- maybe consider having someone else make the setting, if that is an option.

Yes!! I did see your post and read what Victor said. I've been reading more on VC settings on PS the past while because I keep getting disappointed with my setting. I think that WF is just so busy that communication gets lost and the back and forth becomes frustrating.

We are considering having someone else make the setting if it comes down to it. I was thinking of messaging VC to see how much a knife edge setting would be. Just not happy with the idea of having to pay more for a new setting...But unsure if I send my ring back to WF if they will be able to get it right and in a timely manner.

I guess I'll just have to see how much the setting bothers me once I get the ring in person.

headlight

Ideal_Rock
What I love about this is how much this person wants something to be so specific for their beloved... my husband has no clue about all the deets!
Unfortunately, this is the downside of ordering online. But this can happen even when you work directly, in person, with a jeweler. I have, sadly, been disappointed many times.
Even for the mountings in my avatar (which are the exact same mounting), if you see in person they were not set the same. They were acquired through different jewelers and neither arrived set per my requests (which included photos). They both deviated but in different ways (one set too high, one too low!).
I don’t know if VC will make a setting for a stone purchased elsewhere (didn’t we just have a thread on this?). I think you should propose and live with it for a little bit. You may end up liking it. Also, as an FYI, with regard to sharp knife edge rings, they aren’t all too comfortable- just saying!

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I understand your concerns and can empathize with your frustration.
Im not sure, but I am guessing this is a computer rendition, not an actual photo? I could be wrong tho.
If it is a rendering
For a reason like this/the knife edge and to reference what is typical for the vendor/what you expected to receive on your ring - I would seek out and use actual photos of their products?

This is the photo of the WF Classic Knife Edge. The sides look way sharper to me.

I hope all is resolved soon! And congratulations!

mtran89

Shiny_Rock
What I love about this is how much this person wants something to be so specific for their beloved... my husband has no clue about all the deets!
Unfortunately, this is the downside of ordering online. But this can happen even when you work directly, in person, with a jeweler. I have, sadly, been disappointed many times.
Even for the mountings in my avatar (which are the exact same mounting), if you see in person they were not set the same. They were acquired through different jewelers and neither arrived set per my requests (which included photos). They both deviated but in different ways (one set too high, one too low!).
I don’t know if VC will make a setting for a stone purchased elsewhere (didn’t we just have a thread on this?). I think you should propose and live with it for a little bit. You may end up liking it. Also, as an FYI, with regard to sharp knife edge rings, they aren’t all too comfortable- just saying!

The ring is actually for me :D.

At first, my soon-to-be fiance and I decided that we would let him design the ring so it would be a surprise for me. But when he got the first set of photos, I think he was soo confused and stressed. He knew the ring wasn't right, but he didn't know how to put it into words.

Afterwards another PS'r recommended I should look at the ring and be a part of the process, as it is an expensive purchase -- so I decided to look....and boy was I glad I looked!! I don't think he would've been able to do this on his own!! I guess i'm pretty picky :(

Last edited:

daisygrl

Brilliant_Rock
The ring is actually for me :D.

At first, my soon-to-be fiance and I decided that we would let him design the ring so it would be a surprise for me. But when he got the first set of photos, I think he was soo confused and stressed. He knew the ring wasn't right, but he didn't know how to put it into words.

Afterwards another PS'r recommended I should look at the ring and be apart of the process, as it is an expensive purchase -- so I decided to look....and boy was I glad I looked!! I don't think he would've been able to do this on his own!! I guess i'm pretty picky :(

I think that person who suggested it was me. :D :saint:

Dmndsr4evr11

Brilliant_Rock
Hope it all works out for you.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So sorry you had to delay your proposal, but it definitely was worthwhile to be able to get the ring redone. I think the head and prongs look beautiful! I think it is the perfect medium height. I think there is a ridge on the shank, but it's not sharp. I don't recall the actual Tiffany setting having a sharp edge, either. As someone said above, that image you posted is not a photo of an actual ring, and it doesn't even look like the Tiffany shank to me. It looks like a rendering to me, also. In fact, I think your shank looks far better than that one. I agree that the photo of the first version does not have the graceful head of this last version, and it certainly was worth doing over. But I think this one is as good as it could possibly be, so when you get it, if you don't like it, just return the setting and buy one locally. That way you can try them on before buying. I think these large magnified photos are really good in that we can see the details, yet in real life viewing, it will be so much more delicate. Your diamond is gorgeous!!!

mtran89

Shiny_Rock
I think that person who suggested it was me. :D :saint:

Thank you!!

I wonder why they told me that they could not set the diamond lower. I'm wondering if it is because they already made the head and if I wanted it lower they would have to remake the whole head again?

7B3672EC-DC19-4DE6-BD10-62BDA45A18C2.jpeg

They sent me this photo and I asked for the diamond to sit lower. I wanted the prongs to hug the diamond more(I wanted the angle of the side of the diamond similar to the angle of the prongs, so you don’t get that gap. I also wanted it lower for comfort.

Now that you brought this up and pointed it out as well, it also confirms what I was thinking. They just told me this is the lowest which I thought was odd...But I think it may be because they can’t just bend the prongs down, but they would have to remake the head.

daisygrl

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you!!

I wonder why they told me that they could not set the diamond lower. I'm wondering if it is because they already made the head and if I wanted it lower they would have to remake the whole head again?

7B3672EC-DC19-4DE6-BD10-62BDA45A18C2.jpeg

They sent me this photo and I asked for the diamond to sit lower. I wanted the prongs to hug the diamond more(I wanted the angle of the side of the diamond similar to the angle of the prongs, so you don’t get that gap. I also wanted it lower for comfort.

Now that you brought this up and pointed it out as well, it also confirms what I was thinking. They just told me this is the lowest which I thought was odd...But I think it may be because they can’t just bend the prongs down, but they would have to remake the head.

There should not be gaps between a basket (head) and a diamond. Wait and see what the ring looks like when you get it. You can even take pics and post it here so that we can tell you what we see.

Last edited:

m-2-b

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi there! The inspiration picture from WF's IG page is actually my 4.7 ct ACA WF semi-custom knife edge ring.

I would not set your diamond too low in the setting. I asked for medium height. I was very happy with my WF setting for the few years that I had it.

There are more IRL pictures/details/modifications regarding my WF ring which can be found in my original thread:

mtran89

Shiny_Rock

Yeah I didn't realize how difficult it would be. I thought that a solitaire setting would be straight forward, I guess each piece is hand made so there will always be differences!

mtran89

Shiny_Rock
So sorry you had to delay your proposal, but it definitely was worthwhile to be able to get the ring redone. I think the head and prongs look beautiful! I think it is the perfect medium height. I think there is a ridge on the shank, but it's not sharp. I don't recall the actual Tiffany setting having a sharp edge, either. As someone said above, that image you posted is not a photo of an actual ring, and it doesn't even look like the Tiffany shank to me. It looks like a rendering to me, also. In fact, I think your shank looks far better than that one. I agree that the photo of the first version does not have the graceful head of this last version, and it certainly was worth doing over. But I think this one is as good as it could possibly be, so when you get it, if you don't like it, just return the setting and buy one locally. That way you can try them on before buying. I think these large magnified photos are really good in that we can see the details, yet in real life viewing, it will be so much more delicate. Your diamond is gorgeous!!!

The final ring is definitely an improvement from the first ring they showed me. The prongs are done much better.

Thank you! At least I love the diamond we chose. The setting can always be changed.

Moonie

Shiny_Rock
I'm sorry you haven't had the best experience! I would caution that often photos are so so zoomed in that it might not actually look like that in real life. I was really worried (based on vendor photos and video) that my ring would be clunky with huge prongs. When I saw it in real life, I was taken aback by how delicate and tiny everything actually was. I even thought it looked too small (lol I'm crazy). Granted, your ring may be more rounded than the sharpest knife edge but I think it's best to wait and see it in real life!

mtran89

Shiny_Rock
Hi there! The inspiration picture from WF's IG page is actually my 4.7 ct ACA WF semi-custom knife edge ring.

I would not set your diamond too low in the setting. I asked for medium height. I was very happy with my WF setting for the few years that I had it.

There are more IRL pictures/details/modifications regarding my WF ring which can be found in my original thread:

Your ring is absolutely stunning. The setting is done to perfection. I kept showing them your ring and wanting the same style prongs. The way the prongs swoop is so elegant and beautiful.

Yours doesn't have that gap between the prongs and the diamond like mine does as well. :(

monipod

Brilliant_Rock
From what I'm reading here, I think everyone is struggling in the Xmas rush. I would go ahead with the proposal and if you're still not happy with the ring, see what you can do in the New Year. It doesn't sound like anyone is quite getting what they want at the mo!

m-2-b

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Actually, this is my first thread which was my 4.5 ct ACA in the same setting before my upgrade to the 4.7 ct ACA:

Tayberry

Shiny_Rock
We purchased a 2.738 G VVS2 ACA with a WF Classic Knife Edge setting from WF and I wish that the experience went more smoothly...

I may post my full experience in another thread(Long story short it took ~2 months to complete)

The ring kept coming back with issues and I felt like the detailed notes and pictures I gave were not being relayed. Because of this, they kept having to redo the ring, so a lot of time was wasted.

We had booked a venue for the proposal and were afraid we were not going to get the ring on time. I started to become frustrated and worried that they were not going to meet our deadline.(They didn't) I understand that this is a busy time of the year, but my ring was supposed to have been started in mid-end of October. We are also from Canada so we need to take into consideration time to cross the border and customs etc which delay things.

I finally received my final photos and now I am worried the knife edge to me looks softened? I specifically requested that the knife edge not be softened and that I like a sharp knife edge. I brought this up and they told me that they think it is a knife edge.. I didn't get to confirm with the Master Jeweller if he did, or did not soften it. I wanted additional photos to make sure the knife edge wasn't softened, but the ring was already being packed to ship. I really didn't want to delay the ring further as it was already behind schedule. If anything I'll just ship it back after the proposal...

I had requested this "crease" on the sides of the shank be smoothed out on the ring. I was wondering if there was miscommunication and they softened the knife edge as well??? I just really don't know at this point and am really exhausted from this whole experience.

The red line is the “crease” I wanted smoothed out (2nd rendition of the ring):
2E1DFA49-0F37-468F-BF91-37FEE17C4B35.jpeg

These next images are the final photos of the ring. Can you guys look at the photo and let me know what you think? I hope that when I receive the ring I wont be disappointed..The shank looks rounded to me and not a knife edge. I've tried other knife edge rings and they don't look rounded like this.

Semi-Custom-Six-Prong-Knife-Edge-Engagement-Ring-in-Platinum-by-Whiteflash_12.22_3qProngs.jpg Semi-Custom-Six-Prong-Knife-Edge-Engagement-Ring-in-Platinum-by-Whiteflash_12.22_top.jpg Semi-Custom-Six-Prong-Knife-Edge-Engagement-Ring-in-Platinum-by-Whiteflash_12.22_ttr.jpg Semi-Custom-Six-Prong-Knife-Edge-Engagement-Ring-in-Platinum-by-Whiteflash_12.22.3q.jpg Semi-Custom-Six-Prong-Knife-Edge-Engagement-Ring-in-Platinum-by-Whiteflash_12.22_hand.jpg Semi-Custom-Six-Prong-Knife-Edge-Engagement-Ring-in-Platinum-by-Whiteflash_12.22-with-Annete-W...jpg

This is the photo of what I wanted the prongs to look like. I said I wanted them as thin and delicate as possible.

DA8D4A52-8E86-42EC-A350-EB1C74B2AB4E.jpeg

This is what i received originally. (1st rendition of the ring) Prongs are thick, not symmetrical from the side view and the crease on the shank wasn't smoothed.

80de7b50-1ede-4bfa-9e28-fd0ec54b298e.JPG

It doesn't look like what you ordered - I don't see the 'knife.' Can they take photos showing the sharp edge before they put it through international shipping?

Mamajemmy

Shiny_Rock
I have a WF knife edge with no modifications and I was looking back at the photos Whiteflash sent me and think it looks more rounded than it does in person. I
absolutely love it. It’s so easy to get hung up on the details in the photos—- I remember that process— but see what your heart feels when you see it in person.

E7F331BD-94DA-4C80-BA94-9D5F4622C0D0.jpeg

Attachments

• D91F992D-A232-4E2E-858B-E81958C84A29.jpeg
    D91F992D-A232-4E2E-858B-E81958C84A29.jpeg
    730.8 KB · Views: 28

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Setting the diamond lower will result in a squatty appearance and will also make it extremely hard to clean the diamond well. I used to have a photo of what I considered a poor Tiffany repro setting where the diamond was set too low, and I cannot find it.

My other piece of advice if you end up having someone else make the setting. Under no circumstances try to use any vendor who hasn't already made a ring exactly like you want. You'll probably end up disappointed again. Tiffany rings are cast, so there is no advantage to having that style handforged as far as the design goes.

I still think this ring is probably fine, as Mamajemmy has said from her own experience.

daisygrl

Brilliant_Rock
Setting the diamond lower will result in a squatty appearance and will also make it extremely hard to clean the diamond well. I used to have a photo of what I considered a poor Tiffany repro setting where the diamond was set too low, and I cannot find it.

My other piece of advice if you end up having someone else make the setting. Under no circumstances try to use any vendor who hasn't already made a ring exactly like you want. You'll probably end up disappointed again. Tiffany rings are cast, so there is no advantage to having that style handforged as far as the design goes.

I still think this ring is probably fine, as Mamajemmy has said from her own experience.

I would like to see what you mean by "squatty" as I have often wondered about that (I thought mine sometimes appeared a bit "squatty" - so I would like to see what a squatty ring looks like.)

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results