shape
carat
color
clarity

My ring from WF has finally shipped. But worried...

mtran89

Shiny_Rock
My fiancé proposed!

Here is the ring.

64482A93-96DC-417D-8B29-414CDFA05B08.jpeg CE6D203B-F683-46AC-AFCE-D8C7D49522D1.jpeg BFA5AB53-7F7F-4D96-985F-2B7632FD0922.jpeg 91362177-AD8E-40CE-84FB-2CE7CD5AEE1D.jpeg 93682F24-B08F-404B-9C09-33A148451BBC.jpeg F66F0BAF-6690-4DE0-A11C-0865B25972F6.jpeg

The height of the diamond and the prongs are fine. We want to get the band remade though. It’s too rounded and not knifey enough. I also want more height to the shank. It looks too low and kind of off.

It will also be hard to pair with wedding band because the height differences. The Tiffany setting has more height so it’s more balanced with the wedding band.

Here is my ring with a 3mm wedding band
0F7CA8D7-6B48-4B37-A619-060FEBB0074E.jpeg

Here is a ring I tried on at Tiffany with a 3mm wedding band as well. It just looks more balanced to me ECD8A173-3CEA-4D55-B352-DA80C5396785.jpeg

CareBear

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I assume you plan on pairing an eternity band with the setting? If so, you should review this thread.

The thread also has details on the Tiffany setting for a stone similar the size of your stone. Based on the pics, the head of your setting looks very close to the Tiffany. But the band of your setting may need to be slightly thicker and the two sides connecting to the head a little taller. That may help make the setting look more 'knifey'.

xxxxxx

Brilliant_Rock
What a beautiful ring on a pretty hand! What is your ring size? (:

If it would be my choice I would have it reset my cvb in her jovyn (you can customize it). I find her baskets also to be more aesthetically pleasing. 79CE41AE-DFDF-463B-AD62-3601BBCA5FB3.png

Attachments

• 339E4270-EE32-40BB-BEA2-B8E80CD21447.png
    339E4270-EE32-40BB-BEA2-B8E80CD21447.png
    523.8 KB · Views: 39

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Damage that is outrageously gorgeous on you! The stone is stunning.
Don’t settle on the setting if it’s not what you want. Your complaints are valid - in my opinion.

great suggestions for you in previous two posts.

And congratulations on your engagement!!

maryjane04

Brilliant_Rock
Congratulations on your engagement. What a beautiful ring with an amazing presence. I hope you can find a setting that truly makes your heart sing.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations! Your ring is just beautiful! I think you may still want to consider the Vatche setting if you want to be very close to the Tiffany setting to go with your band. At any rate, the diamond is beautiful and I wish you many years of happiness!

mtran89

Shiny_Rock
I assume you plan on pairing an eternity band with the setting? If so, you should review this thread.

The thread also has details on the Tiffany setting for a stone similar the size of your stone. Based on the pics, the head of your setting looks very close to the Tiffany. But the band of your setting may need to be slightly thicker and the two sides connecting to the head a little taller. That may help make the setting look more 'knifey'.

I agree, I think the band may need to be slightly taller and wider. I wouldn’t mind that, as I think the ring will spin less on my hand.

I will be getting a knife edge spacer to wear in between my e-ring and wedding band, because I definitely don’t want the diamonds rubbing against the prongs.

I don’t think I will be wearing the wedding band together with my engagement ring a lot though because of this. I don’t want to be wearing 3 rings everyday. It will probably just be on special occasions or nights out.

I’m still deciding between on the width of the wedding band. I was initially debating on the Annette U Prong 2.4mm or 3mm. I think once I’m happy with my engagement ring, I will decide which wedding band pairs best with it.

Last edited:

mtran89

Shiny_Rock
What a beautiful ring on a pretty hand! What is your ring size? (:

If it would be my choice I would have it reset my cvb in her jovyn (you can customize it). I find her baskets also to be more aesthetically pleasing. 79CE41AE-DFDF-463B-AD62-3601BBCA5FB3.png

That’s a lovely setting!

My ring size is a 4.25 but because I have large knuckles it’s easier to get a 4.5 on. So I wear a ring noodle to stop the spinning.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Damage that is outrageously gorgeous on you! The stone is stunning.
Don’t settle on the setting if it’s not what you want. Your complaints are valid - in my opinion.

great suggestions for you in previous two posts.

And congratulations on your engagement!!

‘Damage’ ?!!!?
I meant to type Dang!!!!
:)

mtran89

Shiny_Rock
‘Damage’ ?!!!?
I meant to type Dang!!!!
:)

:lol: I think I actually read Dang too!

I agree, I definitely don’t want to settle. Even if it means I will have to send out my ring and be apart from it for awhile :cry:

daisygrl

Brilliant_Rock
Is there a reason you do not want to go with Vatche U-113? It is closest to the original Tiffany setting. No one is going to make you a ring that will be just like Tiffany...except, you know, Tiffany - but even those differ in baskets. Even the pic you posted earlier of another PS's ring as an inspiration - that one did not look quite like Tiffany either (even though you might think it did because we perceive pics differently than what the item looks like in real life). I am not even sure WF can completely replicate the setting due to the Tiffany trademark.

I hope, in the end, you will get the setting you will love as it is a lot of money to just settle. I would, however, recommend looking into Vatche. They look nearly identical to Tiffany. Nearly.

Last edited:

southernicetea

Shiny_Rock
Is there a reason you do not want to go with Vatche U-113? It is closest to the original Tiffany setting. No one is going to make you a ring that will be just like Tiffany...except, you know, Tiffany - but even those differ in baskets. Even the pic you posted earlier of another PS's ring as an inspiration - that one did not look quite like Tiffany either (even though you might think it did because we perceive pics differently than what the item looks like in real life). I am not even sure WF can completely replicate the setting due to the Tiffany trademark.

I hope, in the end, you will get the setting you will love as it is a lot of money to just settle. I would, however, recommend looking into Vatche. They look nearly identical to Tiffany. Nearly.

I agree. My Vatche U-113 "as is" gets mistaken for Tiffany's 6 prong setting a lot. When I'm browsing in the Tiffany store, the sales associates often mistake it for their own.

mtran89

Shiny_Rock
I’m still considering it! I just emailed Liza to see pricing and what my options are.

With the Vatche setting do you think I would need a spacer still?

Could you attach some photos of your Vatche setting? =)2

southernicetea

Shiny_Rock
I’m still considering it! I just emailed Liza to see pricing and what my options are.

With the Vatche setting do you think I would need a spacer still?

Could you attach some photos of your Vatche setting? =)2

Sure. This is a size 4.25 in platinum, with sizing beads added (I had a similar issue with large knuckles). The U113 is made of platinum/ruthenium, same 950/50 mix as the Tiffany platinum (that I know of). In the beginning, I thought I was going to get a platinum channel set wedding band from Tiffany and wanted it to match as closely as possible, but I changed my mind.

Diamond height: Your stone likely won't be set as high as mine, and I think the Tiffany setting is set low. Keep in mind that mine is set "very high" and I might redo it so the culet shows in the lower portion of the head of the setting, rather than where it is currently.

Knife edge: I realized that I don't have any pictures of the Vatche U113 before softening the knife edge. I didn't like the knife edge in the end and asked them to soften it a little on top and more so where the fingers meet. Where the fingers meet, I asked them to shave it down to about 1.6mm. In terms of "knife edginess," WF's classic knife edge was the sharpest, and then it was a toss up between Tiffany and Vatche. Despite softening of the knife edge, it's still unmistakenly a knife edge ring and very reminiscent of Tiffany's setting. I tried it with the Embrace and the height was nice, and the entire thing looked like a set.

Head of setting: If you compare the Tiffany and Vatche settings directly, they both have a similar band but I think the swoop of Vatche's prongs are a little deeper (love that!), so you may want to take that into account. Granted, I can't tell if the prong shape depends on the dimensions and size of the stone. Mine is 2.2 ct.

Spacer: Regarding spacer, it depends on how tall the diamonds in your wedding band will be. I wear a plain 2mm domed comfort fit band as my wedding band, and it has a 1.6-1.7mm rise. This makes it even with the donut and sides of the setting's band, but not even with the highest part of the knife edge where the crown sits (see picture). A pave band likely won't get high enough to reach the prongs of your setting. An eternity band with large stones might still be tall enough to rub against the crown.

Hope this helps! And please excuse the dry hands....

Screen Shot 2021-01-02 at 1.54.08 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-01-02 at 1.54.23 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-01-02 at 1.54.31 PM.png

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
To be safe maybe you need to know exactly how high in mm you need the setting to be and make sure that any setting you choose will
Meet that requirement. Although various makes do a “repro” not every repro will be the right height for the band you want to wear with it. If decide to do a custom you can make the knife edge as sharp as you want it.

your ring is beautiful on you btw.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your ring (diamond) is fabulous!! Congrats on your engagement!

Now, for the setting issues. In that photo above with the Tiffany ring, what size is the Tiffany ring you tried on with the wedding band?

Any diamond wedding band with larger stones is going to stick out more than a plain shank engagement ring. You'd need to wear a spacer. Only with small stones such as 10 points or less will the band height not be greater than the engagement ring shank height. I personally don't like the look of the diamond band sticking out further than the engagement ring. I have had a 10 point shared prong band as well as a Tiffany Legacy 2.2mm band, and I prefer the Legacy with my Vatche U-113 setting.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow @mtran89 , that looks amazing on you!!! Congratulations on your engagement!

mtran89

Shiny_Rock
The Tiffany ring in the previous photo is 2.5 carats with a 3mm wedding band.

So I decided to stop by Tiffany’s and try on wedding bands and look at their rings again.

The SA said that how the Tiffany setting is designed, their 3mm wedding band does not touch the prongs of the e-ring.

We tried it and it really doesn’t touch. What I realized is that not only is the band taller on the Tiffany, but the donut is also very tall.

The basket/head sits on the very top of the shoulders of shank vs starting in the middle of the shank like on mine. This gives enough clearance for the wedding band.

They measured the height of their 3mm wide wedding band and said it was also 3mm high. So the height of the donut would need to be at least this.

Here is my ring next to the Tiffany setting and their 3mm wedding band. You can see how tall and large their donut is and the basket/head is set on the very top of the shoulders of the shank. 344FA8B8-1ED8-41D7-8522-D0E04BB8B6D9.jpeg
C6E199A1-8027-4053-885E-8C7168C3F004.jpeg

I’m going to just have the ring fully redesigned and start over again. If I can make it pair nicely with a wedding band and I don’t have to wear a spacer, it’ll be worth it for me.

Last edited:

eapj

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I’m not an expert but if the Tiffany is exactly what you want, would you consider just going with a ring from them? I know you get more and better diamond for less money elsewhere but if you love that design, would that be worth it? If not, those with more experience can share how the measurements of the Vatche setting match the Tiffany.

mtran89

Shiny_Rock
Yes I considered getting the Tiffany setting before purchasing the ACA. Ultimately I decided that the diamond was more important to me than the setting. Also, the upgrade policy with WF is much better than Tiffany.

Mamajemmy

Shiny_Rock
Maybe just go with Tiffany as they seem to have exactly what you want. That seems like it could be the only way to be 100% satisfied. All others, even custom, are going to be slightly different from Tiffany. You can see what stone options they have and post details and they great people here can help you pick the very best one.

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
They could just pop the basket off and replace your shank with one that has the more substantial shoulders. That would alleviate the height issue.

K98

Rough_Rock
That’s a lovely setting!

My ring size is a 4.25 but because I have large knuckles it’s easier to get a 4.5 on. So I wear a ring noodle to stop the spinning.

I noticed elsewhere you said you might end up just wearing the engagement ring alone, without the wedding band—I have the same knuckle issue (size 4 knuckle, size 3.5 finger), and while the spinning and flopping is solved by wearing two rings together for a wider profile, when I just recently switched from two rings to one, I had to make peace with the idea of sizing beads. I read every thread on here about sizing beads and I was still on the fence, but something had to be done, so I went for it. I hated them for the first few hours, but after the first day I literally cannot even notice them, and the ring NEVER spins. I absolutely love them. If you end up needing something more permanent than the plastic noodle, I highly recommend them.

As to your original issue, the diamond is gorgeous, but that isn’t what I would call a knife edge, and the height conflict with the wedding band would be a dealbreaker for me. I don’t think you’re being picky at all, and I’m relieved you’re going with a different setting! A diamond that beautiful deserves the perfect setting, not one with significant compromises. I hope it’s able to be remade very soon!

munchee

Brilliant_Rock
Wowwww... your ring is absolutely beautiful!!!!!! I agree with @Mamajemmy if you’re so set with the Tiffany maybe its better to get the real Tiffany, if you remake it from other vendors it might not be the same? I think if you got it remake you need be aware that it won’t be the same, accept some differences and let go the real Tiffany.

I’m in a similar situation, I want a Emilya Halo from VC and he won’t make me the setting without buying diamond from him, so my option is get a diamond from him (he doesn’t have any in stock) and get the real Emilya or let go the Emilya because I know if I have Emilya in mind and ask other vendors to remake, it won’t be the same. I have to accept the difference.

mtran89

Shiny_Rock
I don’t need the ring to look exactly like Tiffany, but I think the ring should be designed in a way where it can be worn with a wedding band without damaging the prongs.

I don’t want to spend the money on an eternity band and feel like I can’t wear it that often in fear of damaging my ring. Or be forced to wear a spacer which isn’t ideal.

The band is also definitely not a true knife edge. In person it really just looks like a round band.

I don’t think these changes would be hard to fix if I know what to ask for. If WF isn’t able to achieve what I’m looking for, I am okay with going to a reputable local jeweller. I am actually considering this after I found that it is really hard and sometimes frustrating communicating by email. It would be nice to speak to someone in face to face and be able to see the ring in person.

Personally...I would still rather keep this setting with my current diamond, than go with Tiffany and get a smaller diamond that isn’t a super ideal cut.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s beautiful.

So if I’m reading this right, you originally wanted a very low set ring, but now it has to be set high?

mtran89

Shiny_Rock
I wanted it to be set low where there’s no big gaps between the diamond and the prongs. The Tiffany is also set low in the prongs. That’s what I was wanting.
But the difference is way they mount the head/basket onto the shank, it gives enough clearance for a wedding band to sit.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is not just the prongs that need to be protected. The diamonds from the wedding band can saw into the shank of the ering too. The purpose of the spacer is to protect the entire ring and the spacer will endure the damage. Diamonds with exposed girdles will eat into any metal that it is in constant contact with. Others here have had the same dilemma and the only real fix is either a spacer or a different kind of wedding band altogether.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results