shape
carat
color
clarity

Custom Diamond Eternity Band is Eating my Solitaire Prongs!

CharlotteYork

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I am so sad to write this post.... You may recall my quest to create the perfect tiffany solitaire and diamond eternity band... https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-3-10-carat-whiteflash-aca.238014/ I had them custom made by Whiteflash, and they are beautiful! Unfortunately, the eternity band is eating the prongs of my solitaire. I was fully aware that this was a common problem, but I also knew, thanks to Pricescope, that if the band sat low enough it would not touch/damage the prongs. The entire point of having my rings custom made was to ensure that they would sit perfectly together and did not cause prong damage. I was very clear upfront that this was a priority, and I sent over vespergirl's low-set eternity band (also made by WF) requesting an exact replica. https://www.pricescope.com/communit...ernity-its-finally-here-loads-of-pics.117411/

I expressed concern when I saw the CAD renderings, because the eternity band looked too high. I asked for the measurements of my band, and it is actually 2.5mm (vespergirl's is 2.2mm). But I was assured that it would not touch the prongs, and if it were any lower there would be a risk of the cutlets poking out. I still don't understand how 2.2mm could work for one ring with the exact same diamond point size but not for mine... or if that is even enough to make a difference? And I understand that my center stone is larger, but this was all taken into consideration and discussed during the design process. I was so concerned that I offered a suggestion for another design (a pave style, pictured below). It was critical for me that the band would not damage the prongs.

Again after seeing the wax models, I expressed concern and before signing off on the project I asked for confirmation yet again that the band would not touch the solitaire prongs. I was assured that it would not.

I have been wearing the rings for just a few months now, and the prongs on the solitaire are so damaged that I no longer feel comfortable wearing the eternity band. I absolutely do not want to wear a spacer. If that had been my only option, I never would have chosen this design... that was the point of the custom project. Interestingly it appears that vespergirl had a similar problem with her eternity band, and she had to have hers remade entirely by WF. Hers was also too high to begin with, and it was not the right size. Mine is a size 5.5 and it is half a size too big. I requested it this size in case my finger grew. We added sizing bars inside, but that did not help with the damage, and it is still a bit too large.

Would remaking the ring so that it is 2.2mm high instead of 2.5mm and sizing it down to a 5 ensure that it would not touch/damage the prongs of my solitaire? Or would I need to have an entirely different style, like pave? How did this project go astray?? I am extremely disappointed as the rings are simply gorgeous, and aesthetically I do not want to change a thing! But I worry that the damage will compromise my center stone. :(2

So where do I go from here? Will Whiteflash remake my band? What is the solution?

Thank you for your help!!! Pictures below...

IMG_1002.jpg IMG_1003.jpg IMG_1004.jpg IMG_1005.jpg

My center stone is a 3.106 carat ACA round set in a custom WF platinum band. The platinum eternity band has 8 point diamonds and measures approximately 2.60mm wide and 2.50mm high.

Here is a picture of the damaged prongs (it is hard to see in a photograph)...

IMG_2402.jpg

Here is the alternative pave style I suggested...

flat eternity - alternative design.jpg

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah. The problem here is clear :(sad

A quick not-so-great paintjob, hopefully good enough - the outer edge of the doughnut extends very slightly past where the prongs begin to extend outward (thin yellow vertical). Assuming the light blue splotch is the middle of your finger (the center of the circle that the inner diameter of your ring creates), the outer radius of your eternity must be less than the blue line.

I suppose the upside is that you recognised the problem right away! Those nibbles on your Ering pose no structural concern whatsoever at this point. And if you're able to get a precise measurement of that blue length it'll be really easy to figure out if sizing down and/or remaking the ring will fix the issue. I realise that doesn't do anything for the annoyance of anticipating the problem and proactively trying to avoid it, and then running into it anyway ;(

CY.png

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
:(2 I know you don’t want to wear a spacer band but it really is your best defense against this type of damage. Rings move and spin somewhat as we move our hands and any exposed girdles will cause friction and damage. The other option is to solder them together. Not what you want to hear I know. So sorry this happened! :cry2:

CharlotteYork

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Yeah. The problem here is clear :(sad

A quick not-so-great paintjob, hopefully good enough - the outer edge of the doughnut extends very slightly past where the prongs begin to extend outward (thin yellow vertical). Assuming the light blue splotch is the middle of your finger (the center of the circle that the inner diameter of your ring creates), the outer radius of your eternity must be less than the blue line.

I suppose the upside is that you recognised the problem right away! Those nibbles on your Ering pose no structural concern whatsoever at this point. And if you're able to get a precise measurement of that blue length it'll be really easy to figure out if sizing down and/or remaking the ring will fix the issue. I realise that doesn't do anything for the annoyance of anticipating the problem and proactively trying to avoid it, and then running into it anyway ;(

CY.png

Hi yssie,

Thank you so much for this! If I understand correctly, based on that blue line it appears that the eternity ring is just ever so slightly too tall. Would the jewelry designer need to see the rings on my finger in person, or is this something we could measure virtually? I'm just not certain where we go from here, and I am feeling quite apprehensive. I really appreciate your help!

Thank you!

CharlotteYork

Shiny_Rock
Premium
:(2 I know you don’t want to wear a spacer band but it really is your best defense against this type of damage. Rings move and spin somewhat as we move our hands and any exposed girdles will cause friction and damage. The other option is to solder them together. Not what you want to hear I know. So sorry this happened! :cry2:

Thank you, Bonfire. I had read all of this before commissioning my rings, but I also read that if the eternity band was made low enough - like the ones Tiffany's sells - that a spacer/solder would not be necessary. So many people wear this classic combination without spacers, I cannot imagine that they are all going around with damaged prongs? How are they able to do it? And why would such a reputable company like Tiffany's even advertise such a combination if it is impossible to achieve without damage? I am perplexed.

tiffany solitaire and eternity band.jpg

tiffany-ad.jpg

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The eternity definitely is too tall. Take this next part with several large grains of salt because... working from a zoomed-in photo is only so accurate... but I rather think it's more than "just a bit" too tall - if I had to guess I'd say you'd need to take a full mm or so off the outer radius of the eternity to eliminate the problem. If you don't have a precision measuring instrument I imagine if you take that photo and your description to any jeweller they should understand the problem and be able to advise you on the extent of what can/must be done.

Getting the outer diameter small enough probably means that the depths of the two rings (heights off the finger) will be noticeably different IRL... which may or may not bother you. Adding a spacer or soldering are, as @Bonfire suggested, definitely the easiest and most-certain solutions :(

Edit -
Sadly I think a lot of people really just don't notice and are in fact walking around with damaged prongs!! In your case, if you really don't want to go the solder/spacer routes, rejiggering the eternity is likely to be more costly and finicky than an Ering reset - an Ering style wherein either the doughnut is taller (deeper off the finger), or the outermost part of the doughnut extends further past where the prongs begin, is likely a better bet.

Last edited:

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
The Tiffany solitaire band looks thicker from the pic. Could just be the pic but I guess raising the height of the solitaire may also prevent the ‘eating’ problem. So instead of making the eternity lower, raise the solitaire instead? Not sure if resetting one big diamond is easier than resetting 20 small ones.

Sorry to hear about your problem and hope you find a good solution soon.

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@CharlotteYork I am sorry that this happened, but unfortunately, it is a common issue. I also recently had the tiniest, most low set band eat into my e-ring prongs because I like my rings loose and the reality is that rings do move and it becomes easy to cause some prong damage. Why don’t you try out a spacer? Maybe get a rose gold one as it will blend with your skin tone? It may be your most economical solution in the mentime vs remaking entirely the band. E-weddingbands have some very affordable spacers. You can purchase a couple and return the one that you don’t love.

CharlotteYork

Shiny_Rock
Premium
The eternity definitely is too tall. Take this next part with several large grains of salt because... working from a zoomed-in photo is only so accurate... but I rather think it's more than "just a bit" too tall - if I had to guess I'd say you'd need to take a full mm or so off the outer radius of the eternity to eliminate the problem. If you don't have a precision measuring instrument I imagine if you take that photo and your description to any jeweller they should understand the problem and be able to advise you on the extent of what can/must be done.

Getting the outer diameter small enough probably means that the depths of the two rings (heights off the finger) will be noticeably different IRL... which may or may not bother you. Adding a spacer or soldering are, as @Bonfire suggested, definitely the easiest and most-certain solutions :(

Edit -
Sadly I think a lot of people really just don't notice and are in fact walking around with damaged prongs!! In your case, if you really don't want to go the solder/spacer routes, rejiggering the eternity is likely to be more costly and finicky than an Ering reset - an Ering style wherein either the doughnut is taller (deeper off the finger), or the outermost part of the doughnut extends further past where the prongs begin, is likely a better bet.

What is most frustrating is that I asked again and again and again if the eternity band would touch the prongs, and I was always assured that they would not. Otherwise, I never would have chosen this style. I even offered up an alternative style because I was so afraid of this exact situation happening. How did this get so off track??? And would this pave set have eliminated the need for a spacer?

flat eternity - alternative design.jpg

CharlotteYork

Shiny_Rock
Premium
@CharlotteYork I am sorry that this happened, but unfortunately, it is a common issue. I also recently had the tiniest, most low set band eat into my e-ring prongs because I like my rings loose and the reality is that rings do move and it becomes easy to cause some prong damage. Why don’t you try out a spacer? Maybe get a rose gold one as it will blend with your skin tone? It may be your most economical solution in the mentime vs remaking entirely the band. E-weddingbands have some very affordable spacers. You can purchase a couple and return the one that you don’t love.

I am wearing a spacer now, and I hate it. :( I never would have chosen this style if that had been my only option and I went to great lengths to avoid this very situation.

CharlotteYork

Shiny_Rock
Premium
The Tiffany solitaire band looks thicker from the pic. Could just be the pic but I guess raising the height of the solitaire may also prevent the ‘eating’ problem. So instead of making the eternity lower, raise the solitaire instead? Not sure if resetting one big diamond is easier than resetting 20 small ones.

Sorry to hear about your problem and hope you find a good solution soon.

Thank you, that sounds like a better option than the spacer!! :)

Miki Moto

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think the reason why the eternity is too tall is because the ring itself is a bigger size than your e-ring.

Also, looking at your e-ring head, the prongs at the base flare out too soon. Tiffany to me has a more vertical angle at the bottom and then they start to flare out right where you see the V’s at the base of the prong which would avoid hitting your eternity. Your ring looks like it starts for flare out right from the bottom. I’m not sure if WF looked at an actual Tiffany setting before they copied it but you may want to have them take a look at the angle of the head to see when it actually flares.

Good luck!

Last edited:

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
May seem simpler as long as you are ok with your diamond being on the high side.

May be cheaper than remaking the ring.

Is it the girdle of the diamond that is hitting the prongs of your ering?

I have a five stone that has metal that extends just the teensiest bit beyond the hurdle of the diamond. That prevents the diamond girdles from hitting the prongs of neighboring rings.

Miki Moto

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thank you, that sounds like a better option than the spacer!! :)

Me... I would not do a spacer. To me, it ruins the whole look. If it were me, I would get this fixed. You will stare at this everyday.

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another option is to have rails that act like a spacer built into the eternity band as custom made by HPD Img3645.jpg

20180218_125709.jpg
20180210_185627.jpg

No problem with my prongs, but my stones are smaller too.

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I made sure that the diamonds would not tough the prongs of either HPD Symphonie or Trilogie

Symphonie with eternity.png

20180212_143537.png

Perhaps WF can design one for you if you are open to that design.

Here is another one that was my inspiration

Screenshot_20180107-202344.png

unsettled

Shiny_Rock
Premium
[QUOTE="CharlotteYork, post: 4348209, member: 97286"

Here is the alternative pave style I suggested...

flat eternity - alternative design.jpg [/QUOTE]
I think the angle of the prongs on this ring is very different from yours? Right? I think that may be the issue? I am so sorry that this has happened. My wedding band is eating into the prongs of my ring and causing damage as well. Nothing that is dangerous - for now - but it could be eventually. But it is super frustrating that you did your due diligence to try and make sure this wouldn't happen. I hope that you can find a solution that will work for you!

CharlotteYork

Shiny_Rock
Premium
May seem simpler as long as you are ok with your diamond being on the high side.

May be cheaper than remaking the ring.

Is it the girdle of the diamond that is hitting the prongs of your ering?

I have a five stone that has metal that extends just the teensiest bit beyond the hurdle of the diamond. That prevents the diamond girdles from hitting the prongs of neighboring rings.

I cannot really tell what is hitting the prongs exactly.... here is another picture if this helps? I would love to see your ring. That sounds like what I was proposing as my alternative option... the diamonds were set inside the metal band.

new shot.png
my ring

pave-set.png
Alternative style I proposed

Would this metal "buffer" have prevented the damage?

And I will be completely horrified if Whiteflash makes me pay to fix this. I have in email no less than three times reassurance that the eternity band would not hit the prongs - I even included it in my sign off for the final design. If they had just said "yes it will hit the prongs" I would have come up with a different design/solution, and I would not be in this situation now.

CharlotteYork

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Another option is to have rails that act like a spacer built into the eternity band as custom made by HPD Img3645.jpg

20180218_125709.jpg
20180210_185627.jpg

No problem with my prongs, but my stones are smaller too.

I will definitely consider this option, thank you for sharing. Beautiful rings by the way! :kiss2: Were these rails added as part of your original design or after? I wonder if they could be added to my current ring? This is actually a very similar idea to the one I had proposed as an alternative to my current design where the diamonds were nestled inside the metal. How I wish I had chosen this style!!

pave-set.png

CharlotteYork

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I think the reason why the eternity is too tall is because the ring itself is a bigger size than your e-ring.

Also, looking at your e-ring head, the prongs at the base flare out too soon. Tiffany to me has a more vertical angle at the bottom and then they start to flare out right where you see the V’s at the base of the prong which would avoid hitting your eternity. Your ring looks like it starts for flare out right from the bottom. I’m not sure if WF looked at an actual Tiffany setting before they copied it but you may want to have them take a look at the angle of the head to see when it actually flares.

Good luck!

I think the size is part of the problem, but not all of it. If I pull the band down super tight with a Snuggie it sits flush with the donut - which is exactly what I wanted! But it is so tight that I cannot get it off my finger... If I loosen the Snuggie to a point where I can actually take the ring on and off, it goes back to hitting the prongs. :(

IMG_2431.jpg
with a too-tight Snuggie

CharlotteYork

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Me... I would not do a spacer. To me, it ruins the whole look. If it were me, I would get this fixed. You will stare at this everyday.

Yes, I agree... completely ruined. I went from being on Cloud Nine as the happiest girl in the world with my new rings to not even wanting to wear them all because it is so upsetting. I am wearing the spacer now, and I want to cry every time I look at it. We spent a lot of money on these rings, and the customization was supposed to ensure that this exact situation would not happen. I really hope Whiteflash will fix it for me. :(

Miki Moto

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
57242999-846E-461C-8BFC-56D561FAEA95.jpeg Hi! Before we say the eternity is wrong, my vote says your e-ring is incorrect. The head is spreads out too fast and needs to be slimmer at the bottom. It looks squatty in the photo but maybe it’s the angle. You can also see the metal at the lower pavilion of your diamond has space so it can definitely be remade to hug your stone more instead of all that air space.

Here is a photo of a Tiffany setting. The stone is a 3.15ct so it is similar to yours. Do you see how much slimmer it is compared to your photo? Maybe that is the issue. I’m not an expert, just trying to help and maybe see a different point of view. I would fix the engagement ring.

Good luck!

CharlotteYork

Shiny_Rock
Premium
57242999-846E-461C-8BFC-56D561FAEA95.jpeg Hi! Before we say the eternity is wrong, my vote says your e-ring is incorrect. The head is spreads out too fast and needs to be slimmer at the bottom. It looks squatty in the photo but maybe it’s the angle. You can also see the metal at the lower pavilion of your diamond has space so it can definitely be remade to hug your stone more instead of all that air space.

Here is a photo of a Tiffany setting. The stone is a 3.15ct so it is similar to yours. Do you see how much slimmer it is compared to your photo? Maybe that is the issue. I’m not an expert, just trying to help and maybe see a different point of view. I would fix the engagement ring.

Good luck!

Oh, I hope you are right!!! It does look like the Tiffany prongs narrow slightly more at the donut, but maybe it is wishful thinking?! Here I put the two rings side by side for comparison (mine on the left, Tiffany on the right)... I wonder what the measurements are on the platinum wedding band paired with the Tiffany ring? Fingers crossed!!!!

IMG_2441.JPG

Miki Moto

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
If I may make one last suggestion...
why don’t you just let your gorgeous diamond be the star and get a thin knife-edge band? You have a beautiful diamond and the eternity competes with it. Close your eyes and then open them looking at your earlier photos you first posted.
The eye first goes to the eternity and then the diamond is second. For me, I like to make the diamond the star, not my “wedding set”.

You could return the eternity or wear it as a RHR. But I understand if you really want that eternity look. I went through the same thing and after weighing everything, I went with the thin knife-edge. I didn’t even want to wear a band and wanted only to let the diamond shine. I wanted it all to be about the single diamond, but then I would look perpetually engaged without a band so I did the super thin knife-edge.

That’s just me of course and my two cents for another point of view.

Miki Moto

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Oh, I hope you are right!!! It does look like the Tiffany prongs narrow slightly more at the donut, but maybe it is wishful thinking?! Here I put the two rings side by side for comparison (mine on the left, Tiffany on the right)... I wonder what the measurements are on the platinum wedding band paired with the Tiffany ring? Fingers crossed!!!!

IMG_2441.JPG

The knife edged band is 2mm. Is that what you are asking? It is the 2mm one.

Miki Moto

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
09BFE20A-267F-428A-8EB3-90D7313D5C1B.jpeg Front view so you can see the height... compared to your photo above. See how tall and slender it looks? Maybe it’s a simple fix!

Miki Moto

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
B03F59C0-C474-49AE-BCD1-85EF299CB0B4.jpeg 3968F6D2-7939-4ABC-BF9B-9F0A36A7116A.jpeg F9196DE8-1BFB-44A2-98F5-2AEF8C4BE445.jpeg Ok... i went nuts to see I could help out. The first photo is the knife edge band.

The other two are of the e-ring. I also measured the height at the fattest part of the band. I think that is where your band may need to be remade. I am not sure. I also measured the total height of the head to the top of the diamond. That may give you an idea of the total height of the head of that means anything. I was on a roll and having fun.

Hope this helps.

Miki Moto

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
7AE12180-9571-4F1D-8BDF-CE668AE6AD9D.jpeg Last photo of the height of the band st the top... I’m not sure if I’m holding the tool correctly (experts help me!), I put this against the back print as a reference point otherwise, the height varies slightly depending on the angle. It can go up to 3.39 and you can see earlier it was 3.23. Definitely lots if room for a ring to sit beside it.

Hope this helps. I’m dangerous with this little gadget but it doesn’t mean I’m a pro at measurements.... apologies for any goofy photos.

Miki Moto

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
79D4B943-3904-484F-8010-62063876063B.jpeg Ok... I am on a roll. Last photo and I will stop bugging you. Here is the band against the e-ring. You can see the space available. Both rings are the exact same size 5.5.

I really hope it’s the e-ring. They can remake that one easily.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results