shape
carat
color
clarity

My new rings from BGD!

starshine

Shiny_Rock
I bet it will be amazing, DS! Can't wait to see pics when you get it!

Curious...why did you decide to go with 900/10 platinum? I've been researching alloys and people's experiences with them....trying to figure out what I want to get!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Starshine|1327936696|3114835 said:

Curious...why did you decide to go with 900/10 platinum? I've been researching alloys and people's experiences with them....trying to figure out what I want to get!

Thanks, Starshine! I researched platinum a long time ago and here is the information I came up with.

First, the two alloys that are harder and used by some designers we know are:

95% platinum and 5% ruthenium used by Leon Mege and Tiffany

90% platinum and 10% ruthenium used by Victor Canera, Mark Morrell, Maytal Hannah, and Beaudry

(The 95plat/5iridium is softer and easier to scratch. Probably wouldn't matter as much in earrings or items that couldn't easily be scratched, though.)

Here what Victor Canera says (and Mark Morrell also puts on his site why he uses 90pl/10iridium):

http://www.victorcanera.com/platinum-vs-gold/

My Leon ring was very scratch resistant and I liked the plat/ruthenium very much. But someone else had already made the request of Vatche to use 90/10iridium so I knew they would honor that request. So that is what I requested. I like both of the harder alloys equally.

starshine

Shiny_Rock
Thank you, DS! I'm driving myself mad researching this! lol. :cheeky: Did your Leon ring get a gray patina?

blueiris

Brilliant_Rock
DS, do you know what BGD uses? I know it's 950 but not sure what "mix".

In considering various eternity bands, I assume from the above discussion that there isn't a problem (in terms of differing looks as time passes) with a 90% plat/10% iridium ring worn with a 95% plat/5% ruthenium ring (such as a Tiffany)?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
blueiris|1328020383|3115521 said:

In considering various eternity bands, I assume from the above discussion that there isn't a problem (in terms of differing looks as time passes) with a 90% plat/10% ruthenium ring worn with a 95% plat/5% ruthenium ring (such as a Tiffany)?

I am assuming you mean a 90pl/10iridium worn with a 95plat/5ruth, right? No, there is no problem with that at all.

blueiris

Brilliant_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1328020592|3115523 said:
blueiris|1328020383|3115521 said:

In considering various eternity bands, I assume from the above discussion that there isn't a problem (in terms of differing looks as time passes) with a 90% plat/10% ruthenium ring worn with a 95% plat/5% ruthenium ring (such as a Tiffany)?

I am assuming you mean a 90pl/10iridium worn with a 95plat/5ruth, right? No, there is no problem with that at all.

Oops, yes, that's what I meant (corrected it above). Thanks!

Excited for tomorrow? :appl:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, excited and nervous!!! And then I am definitely looking forward to meeting janetjoan for another trip to Tiffany's on Thurs.!

The last I heard, BG was using 95plat/5ruth. but I am not sure when that change occurred or whether they use that exclusively or not.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
DS I'm excited to see the finished product!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks so much, Amy! I am sure this setting is boring to a lot of people here, but I am hoping I love it so all I have to do when I want a change is to get a new band!!! :bigsmile:

blueiris

Brilliant_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1328024813|3115565 said:
Yes, excited and nervous!!! And then I am definitely looking forward to meeting janetjoan for another trip to Tiffany's on Thurs.!

The last I heard, BG was using 95plat/5ruth. but I am not sure when that change occurred or whether they use that exclusively or not.

I'm excited for you! And can't wait to see your photos, and hear your thoughts on your new diamond, and new ring! :appl: A trip to Tiffany is like icing on the cake. :D

Thank you for the info on the platinum alloy BGD is using. I haven't noticed much with my rings other than some patina developing. Do you know what alloy Memoire uses?

Speaking of Memoire, I received the Memoire ring I ordered. It's really beautiful, but I was sent the wrong one! It's the single prong style, rather than the shared prong. In terms of height, it's about the same height as the Tiffany, as it's just a smidge lower in height than the BN ring (like the Tiffany). So I can definitely say that the Memoire and the Tiffany are the lowest of all I've tried, in 8 - 10 point stones. I know that's not news to you, of course! :) The BN and several others that are the same height as the BN would probably work with the right settings, but those settings would have to be higher than the Vatche U113.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's good to know that the Memoire's are consistently low along with Tiffany. That has been the case in the past and I am glad we can accurately say it is still true. But no, I don't recall what alloy Memoire uses. I don't worry about it so much with theirs since mostly the diamonds show.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is here, it is gorgeous, and I love it!! :love: The diamond is set SO much higher than the Leon! Thank goodness I didn't ask for it to be any higher! Having the stone the right height makes all the difference in the world! And I am going to say honestly, I like it better than the real Tiffany settings which were a little bulkier. This is a beautiful setting for any size stone, too.

Working on some pictures and will post a new thread. Blueiris, you have been VERY nice to let me post my journey on your thread!

blueiris

Brilliant_Rock
Hooray! I just happened to check just now and am so pleased to hear that you love your stone and your ring, and I CAN'T WAIT to see photos!!! I am thrilled that everything worked out for you, DS!!

It has been a lot of fun talking with you about your reset, and also educational, so thank you for sharing with me and everyone else who has popped in.

I will be watching for your new thread about your brand new diamond and setting!!. :appl: :appl: :appl:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

blueiris

Brilliant_Rock
Funny you should mention this ....... :lol: !

I have the earrings right here! Sheerah let me know a few weeks ago that they were available and I received them a couple of days ago. I am going to post a thread about them soon. :D

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
blueiris|1328893467|3123254 said:
Funny you should mention this ....... :lol: !

I have the earrings right here! Sheerah let me know a few weeks ago that they were available and I received them a couple of days ago. I am going to post a thread about them soon. :D

Unreal!!!! I NEED to see pictures!!! I am not sure, but it looks like the special is for the 1.0 ctw, however, I would ask to be sure. If you go to their site, and the very top of their home page is a link that says WhiteFlash promotions. When you click on that, you'll see the huggie special. They are only showing the 1 ct. pair, though, so the 1.5's may not be on sale.

What do you think compared to the 1.0 pair???

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, blueiris, any news????

blueiris

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for asking, DS ... Not yet! I thought for sure I'd hear something today since she said it would be this week.

My stone has been gone for nearly a month now and Vatche has had it for 3 weeks. Last Friday I was told that Mr. Vatche had some meet-up last week or the week before with a big name in the jewelry business and that was the hold-up. It seems like Vatche might have been able to inform GOG of that anticipated delay, before accepting my stone on 2/10. I could have waited at least 2 weeks to send it!

I just hope it is finished soon, and that I like how it's set (I'm so worried it will be set too high!), and that I like the workmanship. If this ends up working out, I'll be so glad to have it over and I hope I never want to/have to have my stone reset again. I can't even imagine how nervous I would be if I had gone with MM, as I'd originally planned. It has been enough stress for me, with a stock setting! :)

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can't believe the delay, either! What luck! (I am not really sure I'd call the U-113 a stock setting any more than the Flame would be considered stock for MM (although I don't know for sure whether the MM rings have any cast parts or whether they are 100% handmade). They are both standard offerings but made to order for the particular stone. I kind of think of brands like Stuller as having stock settings with pre-made heads.)

I do not think your stone will be set too high if you did not ask for that. I think mine is exactly right and I am so glad I didn't ask for it to be set high.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
This thread reaaaaaally makes me want a classic wedding set . . .

Gorgeous rings all around, ladies.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Haven|1330740612|3139667 said:

Yeah, and I want an antique set like yours! MrsSalvo and I always say that we really need two sets!!!

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1330741011|3139671 said:
Haven|1330740612|3139667 said:

Yeah, and I want an antique set like yours! MrsSalvo and I always say that we really need two sets!!!
Two sets . . . three sets . . . I'm definitely in for the multiple set plan. :bigsmile:

I've been bugging DH about getting an eternity band to go with my upgrade. He keeps saying "You can buy the band as soon as you know what you want." And . . . that's the problem. I just can't decide.

But seriously, this thread really has me wishing for a very classic set. One day, perhaps, one day.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, for a big anniversary sometime! I seem to recall that maybe you have said before, Haven, that you don't wear right hand rings a lot (and neither do I). So I'd honestly rather have an alternate wedding set or standalone eternity to wear on my left ring finger. I am am about too old to do it :lol: , but for younger girls like you, I think you have plenty of time!

Mike R

Shiny_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1327966384|3115150 said:

Thanks, Starshine! I researched platinum a long time ago and here is the information I came up with.

90% platinum and 10% ruthenium used by Victor Canera, Mark Morrell, Maytal Hannah, and Beaudry

(The 95plat/5iridium is softer and easier to scratch. Probably wouldn't matter as much in earrings or items that couldn't easily be scratched, though.)

Here what Victor Canera says (and Mark Morrell also puts on his site why he uses 90pl/10iridium):

My Leon ring was very scratch resistant and I liked the plat/ruthenium very much. But someone else had already made the request of Vatche to use 90/10iridium so I knew they would honor that request. So that is what I requested. I like both of the harder alloys equally.

Hi DS, I think you got your Iridiums and Rutheniums mixed up a few times here. 950 platinum/ruthenium is the most scratch resistant.

Pt950/Ru has an annealed hardness of 130 HV and can work-harden to 190 to 210 HV

Pt900/Ir has a  hardness of 110 HV (annealed) and 185 HV (work-hardened)

blueiris

Brilliant_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1330736908|3139621 said:
I can't believe the delay, either! What luck! (I am not really sure I'd call the U-113 a stock setting any more than the Flame would be considered stock for MM (although I don't know for sure whether the MM rings have any cast parts or whether they are 100% handmade). They are both standard offerings but made to order for the particular stone. I kind of think of brands like Stuller as having stock settings with pre-made heads.)

I do not think your stone will be set too high if you did not ask for that. I think mine is exactly right and I am so glad I didn't ask for it to be set high.

Oh sorry, I wasn't clear! I meant because I was going to modify the Flame or the Petite Torchiere with a higher-set head and changes to the prongs. I guess that would be semi-custom, as I think Yssie might have said way back when in this (long!) thread. :) Even that semi-custom idea made me very nervous! I can just imagine how I would be with a full custom design. :errrr:

Thanks for the kind words, Haven! I'll join you & DS & Mrs. Salvo in having a couple (or more) wedding sets! That idea would suit my often eclectic taste quite well.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mike R|1330743713|3139698 said:

90% platinum and 10% ruthenium (that is incorrect..I meant "iridium" here!) used by Victor Canera, Mark Morrell, Maytal Hannah, and Beaudry

Hi DS, I think you got your Iridiums and Rutheniums mixed up a few times here. 950 platinum/ruthenium is the most scratch resistant.

Pt950/Ru has an annealed hardness of 130 HV and can work-harden to 190 to 210 HV

Hi, Mike,

Yikes, I reread that twice before I saw the mistake!!! I fixed it, thank you! I was trying to say that 95plat/5ruth and 90plat/10iridium were both harder than 95plat/5iridium. I know that the plat/ruth is hardest, and that was what my first platinum setting was made from. But the second one was being made by a company that was already familiar with the request to do 900plat/iridium, so that is why I went with that on the newer ring. What platinum alloy do you use? I'll add you to the esteemed list of ring makers the next time I talk about alloys!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
blueiris|1330746724|3139731 said:
diamondseeker2006|1330736908|3139621 said:

Oh sorry, I wasn't clear! I meant because I was going to modify the Flame or the Petite Torchiere with a higher-set head and changes to the prongs. I guess that would be semi-custom, as I think Yssie might have said way back when in this (long!) thread. :) Even that semi-custom idea made me very nervous! I can just imagine how I would be with a full custom design. :errrr:

Thanks for the kind words, Haven! I'll join you & DS & Mrs. Salvo in having a couple (or more) wedding sets! That idea would suit my often eclectic taste quite well.

Gotcha! Changes to the regular design can be risky!

Oh, good...we can work on our next set together! :lol:

Mike R

Shiny_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1330747156|3139736 said:
Mike R|1330743713|3139698 said:

90% platinum and 10% ruthenium (that is incorrect..I meant "iridium" here!) used by Victor Canera, Mark Morrell, Maytal Hannah, and Beaudry

Hi, Mike,

Yikes, I reread that twice before I saw the mistake!!! I fixed it, thank you! I was trying to say that 95plat/5ruth and 90plat/10iridium were both harder than 95plat/5iridium. I know that the plat/ruth is hardest, and that was what my first platinum setting was made from. But the second one was being made by a company that was already familiar with the request to do 900plat/iridium, so that is why I went with that on the newer ring. What platinum alloy do you use? I'll add you to the esteemed list of ring makers the next time I talk about alloys!

I use PT950RU, I used to use other alloys but made the switch a few years ago. The Ruthenium alloy is really great, it's a little harder to hand forge but the added scratch resistance and whiter colour is well worth the extra effort.

Wow, I'm going to be on the esteemed list, do I get a certificate to hang on my wall ;))

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results