shape
carat
color
clarity

My new rings from BGD!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OH RATS!!!! I was trying to post that so the two pictures would be next to each other and mine went over to the next page!!!

How about reposting your picture so we can compare?

blueiris

Brilliant_Rock
Ha ha, I thought, Darn, I wish those pics were near each other! LOL

Here it is.

My conclusion: the Memoire still looks lower. BTW, I was told today that the Memoire is 3mm tall. I know that can't be, from your pics and from you measuring it, but two different salespersons told me that! I've now ordered the Memoire 2 ct. band to see, since I've never seen one. My return fees are really adding up, but I don't know how else to do this! It's a substantial investment and I want to get it right.

VBN1.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry my picture is so giant. It looks like the BN is just a little higher than the Memoire...do you think so?

Haha! Now I see what you added!

But YES!!! I have to do the same thing!!! I can't spend thousands of dollars on something I haven't seen and tried on to be sure I like it!!!

And that is scary crazy for a number like 3mm to be tossed around incorrectly!!! Surely they were thinking width and had just never had anyone ask about height before! :lol: Calipers said 2.3mm!!!

If you don't mind, please share any Memoire price quotes you get!

blueiris

Brilliant_Rock
Giant is good for my bad eyes! (And it's not any bigger than my pic!)

Yep, I had edited above to say that I think the Memoire still looks lower. I think I'll be choosing between Memoire and Tiffany, 10 pt. vs. 8 pt. My husband really likes the Tiffany band. I think he likes the 8 pt. stones better. But he hasn't seen the Memoire yet, though from the top it's not going to look much different than the BN or the other two sterling/CZ mock-ups from Pearlman's I had here.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, Memoire is a fine quality ring, but I will have to say that I love the Tiffany settings so much more. If money was no object, that is what I'd get, except I haven't actually tried any on with the new setting yet to be sure about the size issue.

blueiris

Brilliant_Rock
ETA: Just saw your edits, ha ha! :lol:

I know you're thinking of changing to a full eternity for your Memoire. Did you see that they have a new band that has a sort of sizing thing inside? It looks sort of like one of those little springy things (wow, I'm so eloquent, LOL!) that help with rings that are too big. Unfortunately, that style isn't made in platinum. I'll be happy to share quotes. I'm very interested to see the Memoire band, since so many people think very highly of them.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
:lol: This is getting quite funny because we are trying to carry on a conversation and it is difficult!!!

Memoire's rings are extremely well made, but as I said above, they do not have the beauty of the Tiffany settings, IMO. If I decide what I like, I may check with the guy that sells the like-new Tiffany items.

I saw what you were talking about on the Memoire site but didn't realize they didn't come in platinum.

blueiris

Brilliant_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1327638885|3112815 said:
Well, Memoire is a fine quality ring, but I will have to say that I love the Tiffany settings so much more. If money was no object, that is what I'd get, except I haven't actually tried any on with the new setting yet to be sure about the size issue.

If you can try on the shared prong with your new ring when you're at Tiffany to return your milgrain band, I would really appreciate it! I strongly suspect that it will work just fine, since it's so low, but just to be absolutely sure. BTW, I remember I said before that we couldn't really tell a color difference between the BN and the Tiffany. But before sending back the Tiffany band, I cleaned both and compared them again ... and both of us saw a color difference. Slight, but there (I'm pretty color sensitive but it's harder with those small stones). Tiffany told me they use D - G, and IF - VS2 in their bands (maybe all their diamonds, I don't know).

I'm adding this after reading your latest comment on trying to have a conversation. I've been laughing to myself at this back-and-forth attempt to converse!

Edit: What guy who sells the like-new Tiffany? I've been looking on eBay but so far, no luck. I'd love to get one that isn't full retail!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
He used to be an ebay seller (and yes I checked his feedback). I couldn't find him on there one day and did a search and found he was starting up his own site. Ebay has increased fees so much that it doesn't pay as well to sell there anymore, apparently. I got a Tiffany cross for Christmas and it was in new condition in the Tiffany boxes. I am sure he sometimes may get second hand items, but a lot are like new because maybe they were bought and returned during the return period and he has a contact that he buys from and resells. He told me he had many rings not listed on his site. I had asked him about the milgrain plain bands and he did have the 3mm and 4mm in my size but not the 2mm. So you really have to email him to ask about any specific ring you are interested in even if it isn't on the site. Plus he gets new things in.

http://jewelryandthecity.ecrater.com/

You have to go to Categories to see the items he has listed, but there aren't many posted yet. There is a contact link and it will give you his email. His name is Benny. I just need to decide what I want before I contact him again!

blueiris

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you, DS! Maybe something will work out for both of us if we decide we want to go that route.

Any word on your ring yet? It's been a week now so maybe one more week at the most to wait. I can't wait to see it!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No, no news yet! I'll be starting to really be watching my email late next week, though! I do hope we can figure it all out!

blueiris

Brilliant_Rock
I hope you hear by next week, DS! I know how hard it is to wait.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well.....my ring is IN!!!!! :appl: :appl: :appl: They are closed Sun. and Mon. so will ship on Tuesday! So I should have it Wed. morning!!!! I am excited and scared at the same time!!!

blueiris

Brilliant_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1327767187|3113807 said:
Well.....my ring is IN!!!!! :appl: :appl: :appl: They are closed Sun. and Mon. so will ship on Tuesday! So I should have it Wed. morning!!!! I am excited and scared at the same time!!!

YIPPEE!! Wow, that was super fast. Did they send you any photos yet? I can't wait to see it, and like you, I would be excited and scared. This whole process is nerve-racking, isn't it? But you did all you could to be sure you made the right decision and I'm confident you will be pleased! :appl: :appl: :appl:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I did send an email back saying that I know they are super busy on Sat. but is there any chance I could have pictures?? No reply yet. I almost wish I didn't know it is in since I now have to wait 3 days for it to be shipped!!! I think it may have been faster since they dropped it off and probably picked it up. That saved 2 days of shipping time.

I am going to email janetjoan and see if she wants to go to Tiffany's next Thursday! I am not sure they will let me take pictures, though. But at least I can make notes on which bands are low enough to wear with the ring.

blueiris

Brilliant_Rock
I hope they get a chance to send photos. I'm anxious to see it, and I know that's 1/1000th of how anxious you are! Yay, a trip to Tiffany, too! I hope they let you take photos but even if they don't, you have a great eye and a good memory.

I hope you'll start a thread about your reset, so everyone who hasn't ventured in here can see it!

m-2-b

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Blueiris--Sorry to threadjack, but do you have a pic of your old 3 stone diamond ring w/ emerald cut center and side traps? I'm trying to get ideas for my next 3 stone ring which will be an emerald cut center stone.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, she was very sweet to take pictures for me since she said they were very busy and apologized that the better photographers were busy. I am not posting one of them because it was off center and made the diamond look funny. Also there looks like there is something on the stone because it is VS1 and there can't be visible inclusions and the second picture looks a little tinted which it shouldn't in real life. The diamond looks small to me because we have been seeing so many large ones, but thankfully I tried on ones this size at Tiffany the last time I went and know it is big enough for me! I think the diamond is a good height and not too low. You just can't get swoopy prongs on a stone this size, but this looks like the real Tiffany so it should be okay as long as I love the diamond. This is really nerve wracking, though!!! I am nervous more about the diamond than the setting. I hope I don't regret buying a diamond I didn't see first! :errrr:

mynewVatche1.jpg

mynewVatche2.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am going to post a bad picture of my old setting, because I want to show how low the diamond was set as compared to this one. I took this picture quickly one day to show someone how well harder platinum holds up, so it is not a great picture! But as you can see, the culet of the diamond is almost down to the doughnut whereas the new setting has the stone higher in relation to the doughnut.

IMG_2156.JPG

sna77

Brilliant_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1327639113|3112820 said:
:lol: This is getting quite funny because we are trying to carry on a conversation and it is difficult!!!

Memoire's rings are extremely well made, but as I said above, they do not have the beauty of the Tiffany settings, IMO. If I decide what I like, I may check with the guy that sells the like-new Tiffany items.

I saw what you were talking about on the Memoire site but didn't realize they didn't come in platinum.

Just noticed this... Vatche has a repo of the Tiffany shared prong eternity band too... You know it must be 1/3 of the price...
http://www.dvatche.com/index.php?page=collection&search=eternity&startRow=6&id=149&alt=1

dvatche.PNG

dvatche2.PNG

tco1.PNG

tco2.PNG

blueiris

Brilliant_Rock
mom2boys|1327770984|3113847 said:
Blueiris--Sorry to threadjack, but do you have a pic of your old 3 stone diamond ring w/ emerald cut center and side traps? I'm trying to get ideas for my next 3 stone ring which will be an emerald cut center stone.

Sorry for the late reply but for some reason, I couldn't get on PS yesterday afternoon and evening!

Unfortunately, I don't have any photos of my emerald cut/trapezoid ring. It was very simple though - just two .50 traps flanking the emerald cut. Originally I had stones on the shank to match the original eternity band but it was too much for me, both in terms of bling and the "poking factor". So I had them remake my ring with a plain shank, and the eternity band as a channel set.

Is your next 3-stone going to be a diamond center, or a colored stone? I can't wait to see it! You have an amazing collection already!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006|1327811773|3113981 said:
I am going to post a bad picture of my old setting, because I want to show how low the diamond was set as compared to this one. I took this picture quickly one day to show someone how well harder platinum holds up, so it is not a great picture! But as you can see, the culet of the diamond is almost down to the doughnut whereas the new setting has the stone higher in relation to the doughnut.

I think you will definitely see a difference between the two mountings. I think your new stone might even look larger than the old not being squished down into the mounting and without that bar going around the center stone. We'll be anxiously waiting to see your new ring - keep those batteries charged!

blueiris

Brilliant_Rock
DS!!!!! I was so excited to see your photos! I think it looks wonderful! :appl: :appl: :appl: Are you happy with it (at least in the photos)? And what a contrast with your old ring. I will be anxiously waiting for your hand shots!

I understand your worries about buying a stone without seeing it, but I'm sure that Jonathan wouldn't have let you choose a bad stone. It looked wonderful in the videos and I'm sure it will look equally wonderful in real life. I don't think it looks small at all; it will be perfect! Gosh, Wednesday can't come too soon, can it?

blueiris

Brilliant_Rock
sna77|1327849612|3114169 said:
diamondseeker2006|1327639113|3112820 said:

Just noticed this... Vatche has a repo of the Tiffany shared prong eternity band too... You know it must be 1/3 of the price...
http://www.dvatche.com/index.php?page=collection&search=eternity&startRow=6&id=149&alt=1

Hi sna! :wavey: I saw that ring on Vatche's site too, and asked GOG to check the height. It's 3.2mm high. :( GOG said they would choose the stones and send them to Vatche but I didn't get any pricing because the ring is just too tall to wear without a spacer.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
oh DS, it looks perfect!!! I really do think you are going to love it at first site and I also agree that there is no way Jon would have let you buy it if it didn't think it was wonderful. He knows you well enough ;)) And, I can't wait to see how your trip to Tiffany's goes.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks, friends! I am glad you all think it will be an improvement over the old setting! I think it looks good so far, so I am very hopeful!

sna...oh, I think Vatche quality is equal to Tiffany, so that basket setting would be wonderful! I didn't know blueiris had already asked the height and found that it is too high to wear without a spacer, but any eternity with stones as large as your wife's is going to probably be higher than the e-ring base and need a spacer anyway. BUT, I really would love to have a larger standalone eternity, so the Vatche would be a great possibility, and especially with the option of having Jonathan source the stones! So thanks for posting that!

I am wondering why eternity ring makers don't seem to "get" that they need to set the stones as low as possible??? Why are we having to constantly deal with the height issue even with the bands that have smaller stones (10 points and under)???

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results