shape
carat
color
clarity

My new future-heirloom opal pendant from David Klass!

Q

Queenie60

Very beautiful. Nice design - enjoy wearing it.

headlight

Ideal_Rock
This is an AMAZING piece. OMG, I am so coveting this! So really, really special. Looks beautiful on you.

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love it! What a beautiful opal pendant that looks so lovely on you! I love DK too.

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just want to show off my new pendant that DK made--it arrived yesterday and I can't bring myself to take it off! :kiss2:

DKPV2020-03-03---54139---PNN--2.jpg DKPV2020-03-03---54139---PNN--1.jpg

Last year, my in-laws gifted me a beautiful little Australian opal and I was immediately mired in indecision about how to set it. After spending several months hemming and hawing, I talked with David Klass about modifying one of his existing ring designs into a pendant. And a month after shipping my stones off, DK sent me back the most lovely finished pendant!

In addition to the opal, I had a few little tsavorite garnets that showed off the opal's green flashes perfectly, so I sent those to DK, along with a 1mm light brown diamond and one orange sapphire (I was nervous how it would turn out to throw yet another stone color into this design, but the opal has a perfect orange flash in one corner--so how could I NOT use the matching sapphire!? ...I'm happy with how it turned out, and I think it added a little bit of vintage-feeling uniqueness to the pendant).

I also went back and forth about what color/karat gold to use. I wasn't sure whether the opal would go best with yellow gold, white gold, a darker high karat yellow, or some kind of specialty alloy. I finally defaulted to 14k yellow because I wanted this to be an heirloom quality piece with a timeless feel--and I think 14k yg achieved that, but in retrospect, I wonder if platinum or an unplated white might have worked better with the opal's coloring. ...I guess I'll never know for sure, so I'm going to assume the 14k yg was the best choice! :cool2: But my lesson learned for future projects is that I probably could have minimized a lot of my anxieties and uncertainty by taking the time to go to a jeweler in person to see how different gold colors looked against the stone.

I chose DK because of the wonderful reviews he gets on PS and because I love so many of the pieces he shares on IG. But even knowing all this about his reputation going into the design process, I was blown away by how professional and patient he was with me and how incredibly fast. And talk about reasonably priced! My MIL offered to have the opal set however I'd like within a budget she'd set based on what she paid to put a similar opal in a very plain gold ring setting last year. Despite the fact that I chose a much more complex design with hand engraved details, requested 5 extra stones be set, and added on a 14k chain--not to mention consider that the price of gold has surged since last year--DK's quote STILL came in a full 30% lower than the budget. I really hope I have an opportunity to do more projects with DK in the future.

20200311_112746.jpg
20200310_184808.jpg

Just beautiful!

Reactions: caf

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
David did an amazing job! She looks great on you

SapphireLover

Brilliant_Rock
I know it’s a few months old but I have this pendant on my Pinterest board as an inspiration for an Opal that is in transit to me. I just I love it. Hope you are still wearing it in good health.

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
Beautiful pendant! Very unique setting and design.

siamese3

Brilliant_Rock
Stunning!!!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cannot believe I missed this - what an unbelievably gorgeous color combination. I absolutely love every single thing about it and would try and steal it, but it looks drop dead gorgeous on you. Wow, a work of art!

HollyJane

Shiny_Rock
David Klass' work is class all the way. I'd like to get a project done with him one day.

MiniMinerva

Shiny_Rock
Love it! What a great eye for color and design!

GeorgieQ

Brilliant_Rock
What a beautiful pendant! So happy this post popped up again as I missed it the first time around. Your pendant is gorgeous, so well proportioned and you absolutely made the right choice of yellow gold, it compliments your opal beautifully!

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It really is beautiful. Such great choice of small stones to go with the opal. They really complement it. And I think the 14k yellow is the perfect metal choice.

Very cool mix of colors! The pendant turned out awesome.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results