shape
carat
color
clarity

My new future-heirloom opal pendant from David Klass!

CloudofDisaster

Rough_Rock
Just want to show off my new pendant that DK made--it arrived yesterday and I can't bring myself to take it off! :kiss2:

DKPV2020-03-03---54139---PNN--2.jpg DKPV2020-03-03---54139---PNN--1.jpg

Last year, my in-laws gifted me a beautiful little Australian opal and I was immediately mired in indecision about how to set it. After spending several months hemming and hawing, I talked with David Klass about modifying one of his existing ring designs into a pendant. And a month after shipping my stones off, DK sent me back the most lovely finished pendant!

In addition to the opal, I had a few little tsavorite garnets that showed off the opal's green flashes perfectly, so I sent those to DK, along with a 1mm light brown diamond and one orange sapphire (I was nervous how it would turn out to throw yet another stone color into this design, but the opal has a perfect orange flash in one corner--so how could I NOT use the matching sapphire!? ...I'm happy with how it turned out, and I think it added a little bit of vintage-feeling uniqueness to the pendant).

I also went back and forth about what color/karat gold to use. I wasn't sure whether the opal would go best with yellow gold, white gold, a darker high karat yellow, or some kind of specialty alloy. I finally defaulted to 14k yellow because I wanted this to be an heirloom quality piece with a timeless feel--and I think 14k yg achieved that, but in retrospect, I wonder if platinum or an unplated white might have worked better with the opal's coloring. ...I guess I'll never know for sure, so I'm going to assume the 14k yg was the best choice! :cool2: But my lesson learned for future projects is that I probably could have minimized a lot of my anxieties and uncertainty by taking the time to go to a jeweler in person to see how different gold colors looked against the stone.

I chose DK because of the wonderful reviews he gets on PS and because I love so many of the pieces he shares on IG. But even knowing all this about his reputation going into the design process, I was blown away by how professional and patient he was with me and how incredibly fast. And talk about reasonably priced! My MIL offered to have the opal set however I'd like within a budget she'd set based on what she paid to put a similar opal in a very plain gold ring setting last year. Despite the fact that I chose a much more complex design with hand engraved details, requested 5 extra stones be set, and added on a 14k chain--not to mention consider that the price of gold has surged since last year--DK's quote STILL came in a full 30% lower than the budget. I really hope I have an opportunity to do more projects with DK in the future.

20200311_112746.jpg
20200310_184808.jpg

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's beautiful and looks perfect on you! I love opals.

sarahb

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It looks gorgeous, love the design, the color combo of the stones just sing with the gold. :love:

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Beautiful!

jepr

Rough_Rock
So beautiful! Such a lovely work by David Klass!

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Absolutely gorgeous & it looks PERFECT on you!

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Absolutely perfect setting and pairing of stones

LinSF

Brilliant_Rock
Well here’s a switch - it looks even better on you than the glamour shot. It’s fab in the glamour, sure, but on you? Holy doodle!

if I was sitting across from you I’d be checking that out constantly :)

I thought the exact same thing! It's gorgeous on your neck.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
its beautiful and will hopefully be treasured down through your family
how lovelly of your MIL.
i really love the orange - great vission you had

CloudofDisaster

Rough_Rock
Well here’s a switch - it looks even better on you than the glamour shot. It’s fab in the glamour, sure, but on you? Holy doodle!

if I was sitting across from you I’d be checking that out constantly :)

No joke! I can't stop checking my neck out and it's hard for me to see! :lol:
I *was* glad I knew in advance what the opal looked like because when DK sent the glamour shots I knew it was going to be way better IRL

KaeKae

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's beatufiul!
My daughter is an October baby. I really need to look into getting me an opal :)

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
I saw this on his IG and thought it was such a great combo of colors, but I agree, it's even more stunning on you! The yellow gold really ties it together, I think that was a great choice.

goldenfire

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
This is gorgeous and looks incredible on you!!!

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous! That’s an amazing pendant and such a beautiful stone

caolsen

Brilliant_Rock
It had a touch of the old kingdom Egypt about it, lovely!

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow!!! I absolutely LOVE it!!! Looking at the pictures, before the neck shot, I thought it would be a much larger piece. It is the perfect size and looks stunning on you. I think you made the right choices all around. It is truly an heirloom piece. I can understand why you don't want to take it off!

CloudofDisaster

Rough_Rock
It had a touch of the old kingdom Egypt about it, lovely!

@caolsen Someone on DK's IG post mentioned Cleopatra, and as soon as I thought about it I was like, yeah, there IS a definitely ancient Egypt flair. Maybe the gold + geometric fans + the orange? Whatever did it, the Egypt look was a totally unintentional side effect, and I've got no complaints!

CloudofDisaster

Rough_Rock
Wow!!! I absolutely LOVE it!!! Looking at the pictures, before the neck shot, I thought it would be a much larger piece. It is the perfect size and looks stunning on you. I think you made the right choices all around. It is truly an heirloom piece. I can understand why you don't want to take it off!

@luv2sparkle Thanks! Yes, I'm petite, and when DK sent the pics, my first reaction was that I'd better resign myself to only wearing it as a statement piece on special occasion--it looked so much bigger than I'd intended it to be. So I was relieved that it really was small enough to wear in regular rotation. ...Always awesome when IRL is better than expected. :D

maita13

Brilliant_Rock
Love it!! The gemstone colors (and choice of metal) really complement each other. Looks really gorgeous on you!! Wear in good health and bling joy!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results