shape
carat
color
clarity

My new beauty - 4.01 J VS1 in Erika Winters' Margot

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's so sweet @maita13 - thank you! I'll have to take some updated photos, it's been years since my last! ❤️

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A year since my last update, two and a half years since acquisition - and I adore both my magical Margot and my lovely Lily as much as ever :kiss2:

Darling @mrs-b - Something tells me you'll be ringing your 60th in with pomp and circumstance :kiss2:

“Bigger” for the sake of bigger has never been your Thing - your collection is meticulously planned and conscientiously curated... And I so admire your ability to work with what #Life has thrown your way - Paris and a diamond bangle would make a sumptuous duo and I can’t wait to see them come to fruition :mrgreen2:

Just looking back at this thread from years back now. Paris was cancelled and my birthday was very quiet. But the diamond bangle happened and Boadicea joined me briefly. Oh, how I loved her!

Tell me - do you see yourself doing any other EW pieces in the near or far distant future? I'm pretty much 'out' these days. I have a few random pieces planned, but nothing major and nothing immediate.

I always love your projects! :wavey:

McLaren

Shiny_Rock
TO DIE FOR. Those facets are perfection.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just looking back at this thread from years back now. Paris was cancelled and my birthday was very quiet. But the diamond bangle happened and Boadicea joined me briefly. Oh, how I loved her!

Tell me - do you see yourself doing any other EW pieces in the near or far distant future? I'm pretty much 'out' these days. I have a few random pieces planned, but nothing major and nothing immediate.

I always love your projects! :wavey:
I recall - both the birthday cancellation and Boadicea ❤️ The years have flown, haven't they.. For better and worse. My real-world thinking is most definitely bisected into "pre-covid" and "post-covid"... For better and worse!

I had briefly toyed with the idea of having Erika make me a bypass style pearl ring, but I realized pretty quickly that I'd never wear it. One day I'll get a glorious Colombian emerald-shaped emerald, and if Erika will set that stone it'll be my crowning CS jewel, but that's really a #OneDay project - funds are needed elsewhere for now! And one day I *will* actually buy a bigger RB, and that will go right back into Margot, and that's even further off because I just know that making the stone happen will be a complete and utter PITA :lol:

So it'll be quiet on the bling front out here I think! Same as your plans sounds like. Cheers to being largely happy with current collections, an' all that :appl: ::)

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@McLaren, @Dmndsr4evr11 Thank you both very much!!

And yes! I do. This is my body colour sweet spot :cool2:

I would like to get a larger stone one day. I know that larger stones do concentrate colour more than smaller stones, just because there's more tinted material the light has to pass through before it comes back out, so depending on how large "larger" winds up being I may need to jump to I, maybe even H, to try to maintain this same amount of face-up tint.

I'm saving (um, putting off?) that larger stone for a few years though. Because it'll be a pretty pricey venture, and also because I :love: the proportions and faceting on my current stone. Like, LOVE love. Can't express how much :love::love::love:!!!! More than every other MRB I've ever owned or seen, including superideals from PS preferred vendors. So I know that I'll have to go the custom cutting route, because I'll need that stone cut to very exacting specifications - that inconveniently also fall outside most vendors' preferred ranges... And ugh, what a headache project :silenced: So... One day just not anytime soon! :lol:

Last edited:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Adding a couple pics for 2022 ::)

These are all the rings I've got at the moment that aren't either "plain bands" or "full eternities with gemstones" :))

MARGOT_1.png

And this is the combo I reach for pretty much all the time ❤️

MARGOT_2.png

Last edited:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh! I almost forgot! I got a bunch of wooden boxes from Eggutama on Etsy - ring boxes, other storage boxes - and his work is fab!! Highly recommend if anyone’s interested! I was looking for skinny ring boxes, my Mrs Boxes just take up way too much space. He’s super easy to work with and if you ask for something custom he’s extraordinarily precise about measurements and finish ❤️
https://etsy.me/3eN3MHh

maita13

Brilliant_Rock

These are all the rings I've got at the moment that aren't either "plain bands" or "full eternities with gemstones" :))

MARGOT_1.png

MARGOT_2.png

Ooof! What an exquisitely delicious collection you got there, @yssie ! And that doesn’t even include your pearls, diamond studs and opal earrings! :mrgreen: LOVE the way you wear your Margot with the Cartier Trinity- simply stunning! ❤️❤️❤️ Thanks so much for the photos! More, please…

Tonks

Brilliant_Rock
Drooling over this yet again. The whole thing is so stunning. The stone and setting. (And we shall not mention your photography, which really puts the rest of us to shame.)

@yssie , for those of us who are not as experienced with regard to MRB proportions and cut, can you talk more about why this stone was outside the range for super ideal vendors and what it is about it that you love? I’m curious because I think I may be drawn to fatter arrows in rounds. I’ve seen photos of a stone @sledge has posted of someone’s master set with really fat arrows that makes it almost a transitional, and WOW. I noticed your stone has 75 LGFs. Not sure what the super ideal LGF ranges are, but most of the ACAs I’ve seen are in the 76-78 range. Anyway, curious what about your stone makes it outside the superideal range, because it is clearly beautiful.

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yssie your ring has long been a favourite of mine! Thank you so much for sharing such a beautiful treasure! Feast for the eyes. And I also love it paired with the cartier band. Stunning!

Sprinkles&Stones

Brilliant_Rock
Drooling over this yet again. The whole thing is so stunning. The stone and setting. (And we shall not mention your photography, which really puts the rest of us to shame.)

@yssie , for those of us who are not as experienced with regard to MRB proportions and cut, can you talk more about why this stone was outside the range for super ideal vendors and what it is about it that you love? I’m curious because I think I may be drawn to fatter arrows in rounds. I’ve seen photos of a stone @sledge has posted of someone’s master set with really fat arrows that makes it almost a transitional, and WOW. I noticed your stone has 75 LGFs. Not sure what the super ideal LGF ranges are, but most of the ACAs I’ve seen are in the 76-78 range. Anyway, curious what about your stone makes it outside the superideal range, because it is clearly beautiful.

I second this! I would love to learn more about that :)

SandyK

Brilliant_Rock
1 - absolutely everything about @yssie 's collection is just on a whole other level of TDF incredible!!

2 - my first thought was oh lord, if THAT ring is getting upgraded then none of us are safe :lol::lol:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Tonks, @Sprinkles&Stones Thank you so much!! ❤️

And of course!! So... Let me try to describe this without sounding like a bad romance novel :lol:

Well first - here's the GIA, and a still photo and the H&A pics ::)

4.01-J-VS1(Still).PNG

4.01-J-VS1(H&A).png

The comparison that stands out to me most is from when I got to go out to visit Wink in 2019. They had a 5ct CBI that I was sure would be my siren’s song!! And it was really beautiful. Don’t get me wrong. Lively and scintillating!! But I still... Honest to goodess preferred my stone!

I do love the thick arrows, and I adore the high crown in profile view, but it’s really the light return that slays me :love: I don't have any video comparisons because I don’t own any video cams other than my phone, and my phone has never been able to capture what my eyes see. So I'm gonna go way off script here. And use opal words instead of diamond words, 'cause a friend's got me back onto opals at the moment and I think this will actually work out perfectly!! I think. Maybe. :lol:

IMO here’s the “crushed ice” diamond equivalent in an opal. Like looking into a bucket of glitter - bright and “twinkly”. A very light, airy, cheery sort of personality? ::)
https://blackopaldirect.com/product/black-opals/15-16-ct-gem-black-opal-21-8x15-8x6-4mm/

And here’s… Let’s call this the “PS superideal” diamond equivalent opal flavour :bigsmile: Really lively and colourful all over - no matter where you look at any time you see the stone doing something!! As you rock it you see some flashes of colour, and you see some pinfire - a mix of "bright twinkle" and bigger flashes :cool2:
https://blackopaldirect.com/product/black-opals/4-41-ct-gem-black-opal-11-6x9-5x5-5mm/

And then here's my stone. It's not bright all over. You've got to rock it to make something happen. But when you do rock it, you see a huge bold flash of colour roll slowly across the top. It's in no rush. And it's the only thing happening in the stone at that moment, and for me, thats the sort of thing that I can't take my eyes off :love:
https://blackopaldirect.com/product/black-opals/1-23-ct-gem-black-opal-8-2x6-7x3-7mm/

^ So if you dial those "types" back a ton, because flavour in diamonds is so much more subtle than flavour in opals...

My stone - under the idealscope - it’s not blood red. It’s actually lighter pink under the table. You can kind of see that in the still photo and the arrows pic. Blood red IS indicates a maximum of light output face-up, lighter pink means slightly less light output face-up... This means less brightness: Both less white light return and less total light return. And one practical result of having both less total light return and less white light return is that your eyes have better odds of catching a single output dispersion (A) without proximal white light drowning it out, and (B) Before a neighboring output dispersion can interfere with it!

So the end result is that you see less brightness, less sizzle, and fewer sparks, but you really do see more slow rolling flashes of colour across various lighting environments. But of course it's a diamond, so it’s a nuance that I don’t know that I’d notice if I hadn’t owned and loved this flavourr of RB for as long as I have... But I have, so here I am :lol: :love:

Attachments

• 4.01-J-VS1(GIA_6212748129).pdf
    695.3 KB · Views: 42

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@maita13, @pearaffair, @SandyK Oh my goodness, thank you for the compliments!!!! :love:

This year one of my New Year's resolutions was to be better about enjoying what I've already got. Bling included!! I have so many pretty things that I don't wear nearly enough - I should make an effort to love them the way they deserve to be loved. So thank you all for reminding me to appreciate my ring, because it really is a very special piece, exactly as it is right now ❤️

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

And of course!! So... Let me try to describe this without sounding like a bad romance novel :lol:

4.01-J-VS1(Still).PNG

4.01-J-VS1(H&A).png

The comparison that stands out to me most is from when I got to go out to visit Wink in 2019. They had a 5ct CBI that I was sure would be my siren’s song!! And it was really beautiful. Don’t get me wrong. Lively and scintillating!! But I still... Honest to goodess preferred my stone!

I do love the thick arrows, and I adore the high crown in profile view, but it’s really the light return that slays me :love: I don't have any video comparisons because I don’t own any video cams other than my phone, and my phone has never been able to capture what my eyes see. So I'm gonna go way off script here. And use opal words instead of diamond words, 'cause a friend's got me back onto opals at the moment and I think this will actually work out perfectly!! I think. Maybe. :lol:

IMO here’s the “crushed ice” diamond equivalent in an opal. Like looking into a bucket of glitter - bright and “twinkly”. A very light, airy, cheery sort of personality? ::)
https://blackopaldirect.com/product/black-opals/15-16-ct-gem-black-opal-21-8x15-8x6-4mm/

And here’s… Let’s call this the “PS superideal” diamond equivalent opal flavour :bigsmile: Really lively and colourful all over - no matter where you look at any time you see the stone doing something!! As you rock it you see some flashes of colour, and you see some pinfire - a mix of "bright twinkle" and bigger flashes :cool2:
https://blackopaldirect.com/product/black-opals/4-41-ct-gem-black-opal-11-6x9-5x5-5mm/

And then here's my stone. It's not bright all over. You've got to rock it to make something happen. But when you do rock it, you see a huge bold flash of colour roll slowly across the top. It's in no rush. And it's the only thing happening in the stone at that moment, and for me, thats the sort of thing that I can't take my eyes off :love:
https://blackopaldirect.com/product/black-opals/1-23-ct-gem-black-opal-8-2x6-7x3-7mm/

^ So if you dial those "types" back a ton, because flavour in diamonds is so much more subtle than flavour in opals...

My stone - under the idealscope - it’s not blood red. It’s actually lighter pink under the table. You can kind of see that in the still photo and the arrows pic. Blood red IS indicates a maximum of light output face-up, lighter pink means slightly less light output face-up... This means less brightness: Both less white light return and less total light return. And one practical result of having both less total light return and less white light return is that your eyes have better odds of catching a single output dispersion (A) without proximal white light drowning it out, and (B) Before a neighboring output dispersion can interfere with it!

So the end result is that you see less brightness, less sizzle, and fewer sparks, but you really do see more slow rolling flashes of colour across various lighting environments. But of course it's a diamond, so it’s a nuance that I don’t know that I’d notice if I hadn’t owned and loved this flavourr of RB for as long as I have... But I have, so here I am :lol: :love:

I love your stone. It reminds me of an OEC but with the bold and modern flashes of arrows. But the kaleidoscope effect is full on. I do think it will be hard letting go of her when it’s so hard to acquire a comparable. If you aren’t dying to have it right now, then it is a wise decision to just wait until the need feels urgent. Your recent pearl acquisitions are certainly rounding out your collection. But when you do decide it’s time, I’m gonna be sitting in the front row!

Tonks

Brilliant_Rock

4.01-J-VS1(Still).PNG

4.01-J-VS1(H&A).png

Omg @yssie thank you so much for taking the time to explain so thoroughly!

It almost sounds like your preferred flavor of MRB has an OEC aspect to it. What I’m getting from your explanation is that it’s a slower flash of light, akin to the light performance on a well-cut OEC.

That sounds absolutely wonderful. If you ever take video of your stone I would love to see it!

Tonks

Brilliant_Rock
One more question @yssie —do you think your stone’s color plays into things? I’ve read that color is visible more in larger carat sizes, and surely that also has an impact on light performance (though I’m new enough at this to not truly understand how, and I’m also not super color sensitive so I haven’t payed terribly much attention). Regardless, I’m wondering if the cut was the same if you would like your stone as much if it were a D, or if it needs to be a J.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
One more question @yssie —do you think your stone’s color plays into things? I’ve read that color is visible more in larger carat sizes, and surely that also has an impact on light performance (though I’m new enough at this to not truly understand how, and I’m also not super color sensitive so I haven’t payed terribly much attention). Regardless, I’m wondering if the cut was the same if you would like your stone as much if it were a D, or if it needs to be a J.
Y’know. I did have an opportunity to compare mine with a HoF of really similar size and proportions once. That stone was an E and it definitely looked bigger and brighter!! Which makes sense, our eyes interpret brighter as bigger. But on my skin the colourless range is so stark it looks almost blue. If that makes any sense? I’m darker-skinned and very “warm” toned, so I like diamonds with a touch of warmth to avoid super high contrast. Just a touch, though - my happy place in this size is I/J. Ks are usually more tinted than I prefer above a carat or so. In the 5-6ct range my eyes favour Is and low Hs ::)

In terms of light teturn… Y’know how we hear that OECs throw out lots of pastels? But they aren’t really outputting a different colour spectrum, of course! It’s just that the flashes of colour from an OEC tend to be very high-energy, which means brighter, which our eyes translate into “lighter”!

My J coloured stone is inarguably absorbing some blue wavelengths from incident light, and so those are missing from the outputted dispersion fans, but absorption in this hue and saturation range is so minimal that to me it doesn’t make any practical (visual) difference. Now my S/T and U/V OECs, I do see different dispersion behaviour from those stones. Visibly less in the way of cool blue and teal and violet. That’s just fine for what I bought them for though. ❤️

Last edited:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love your stone. It reminds me of an OEC but with the bold and modern flashes of arrows. But the kaleidoscope effect is full on. I do think it will be hard letting go of her when it’s so hard to acquire a comparable. If you aren’t dying to have it right now, then it is a wise decision to just wait until the need feels urgent. Your recent pearl acquisitions are certainly rounding out your collection. But when you do decide it’s time, I’m gonna be sitting in the front row!
I know. Comparing with the CBI was eye-opening… I actually felt kind of defective :lol: What sort of self-proclaimed prosumer picks an unbranded near-H&A over a precision-cut masterpiece? But there I was, and that’s what my eyes did every single time, in every lighting environment I played with them in! :shock:

Before doing that comparison I was confident my next stone would be a CBI. I had so much respect for their commitment to ethical sourcing. The fact that they made that commitment before it was #cool, before everyone else took the same stance, back when it mostly just cost them more time and money than their competitors. But after I saw that CBI - well. I knew that wasn’t my holy grail after all. But I had some very vague notions of possibly asking HPD/CBI to custom source and custom cut… That’s all water under the bridge now :(sad

Which leaves me with zero idea of how to go about this whole bigger stone thing!! I know I won’t be happy with any other flavour of round. Part of me thinks maybe I should just switch to a different shape… But I’m not really a multi-ring sort of person. And I’m quite sure a 5.5-6ct RB would suit me splendidly. :lol: One day projects!!

Fabtwinsmom

Brilliant_Rock
I’m so glad to see this thread. Your ring is absolutely breathtaking @yssie. I have an approx. 4.7 ct solitaire from my late mom & dad that’s in a plain 6 prongs setting from Bucherer. I’ve hummed and hawed about changing the setting for years but at the same time not wanting to because of the sentimental value. Your ring may just inspire me to do something about it. No point having it sitting in the safe (even though I’m not wearing any rings these days with working from home and such). Thanks for sharing and would love to see more action pics. :)

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Y’know. I did have an opportunity to compare mine with a HoF of really similar size and proportions once. That stone was an E and it definitely looked bigger and brighter!! Which makes sense, our eyes interpret brighter as bigger. But on my skin the colourless range is so stark it looks almost blue. If that makes any sense? I’m darker-skinned and very “warm” toned, so I like diamonds with a touch of warmth to avoid super high contrast. Just a touch, though - my happy place in this size is I/J. Ks are usually more tinted than I prefer above a carat or so. In the 5-6ct range my eyes favour Is and low Hs ::)

In terms of light teturn… Y’know how we hear that OECs throw out lots of pastels? But they aren’t really outputting a different colour spectrum, of course! It’s just that the flashes of colour from an OEC tend to be very high-energy, which means brighter, which our eyes translate into “lighter”!

My J coloured stone is inarguably absorbing some blue wavelengths from incident light, and so those are missing from the outputted dispersion fans, but absorption in this hue and saturation range is so minimal that to me it doesn’t make any practical (visual) difference. Now my S/T and U/V OECs, I do see different dispersion behaviour from those stones. Visibly less in the way of cool blue and teal and violet. That’s just fine for what I bought them for though. ❤️

Yes. I do remember thinking OEC when I saw it. But of course it’s not. Then when you said blues and teals I went back to my one video of your ring. And YUUUUUUUUP. I see dark blue, light blue and purple flashes along the white, but predominantly white, with a little yellow flash as well, and a little pink. So yah…my gut response OEC. Makes sense now.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

MARGOT_1.png

MARGOT_2.png

That PEARL band!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh sorry. :saint:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m so glad to see this thread. Your ring is absolutely breathtaking @yssie. I have an approx. 4.7 ct solitaire from my late mom & dad that’s in a plain 6 prongs setting from Bucherer. I’ve hummed and hawed about changing the setting for years but at the same time not wanting to because of the sentimental value. Your ring may just inspire me to do something about it. No point having it sitting in the safe (even though I’m not wearing any rings these days with working from home and such). Thanks for sharing and would love to see more action pics. :)
Thank you so much!! I hope you find a mount you love for your inherited stone - I agree, that's way too much diamond to leave in the bank!! :appl:

I believe the Margot setting is one of Erika's most popular, but she's got many other styles if you prefer a fancier face-up!! I'm not a halo person for myself, so for me (after we nixed the three-stone idea) it was between Margot and Grace, and Erika favoured Margot for my finger size. One day I *will* get an emerald, and I plan to have her set that into her Mariana bezel :love:

- - - - - - - - - -

That PEARL band!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh sorry. :saint:
:lol: ❤️

I knoooooow!! Such a "bad" idea in terms of stone:setting value proposition but one of my absolute favouritest bands ever :love:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes. I do remember thinking OEC when I saw it. But of course it’s not. Then when you said blues and teals I went back to my one video of your ring. And YUUUUUUUUP. I see dark blue, light blue and purple flashes along the white, but predominantly white, with a little yellow flash as well, and a little pink. So yah…my gut response OEC. Makes sense now.
Here's a video!!
(That shows absolutely NOTHING but hey I tried :lol:)

This stone next to an antique 2.5ct S/T OEC. Video quality is terrible but the facets are so pretty, I have to share :bigsmile:

Dmndsr4evr11

Brilliant_Rock
@McLaren, @Dmndsr4evr11 Thank you both very much!!

And yes! I do. This is my body colour sweet spot :cool2:

I would like to get a larger stone one day. I know that larger stones do concentrate colour more than smaller stones, just because there's more tinted material the light has to pass through before it comes back out, so depending on how large "larger" winds up being I may need to jump to I, maybe even H, to try to maintain this same amount of face-up tint.

I'm saving (um, putting off?) that larger stone for a few years though. Because it'll be a pretty pricey venture, and also because I :love: the proportions and faceting on my current stone. Like, LOVE love. Can't express how much :love::love::love:!!!! More than every other MRB I've ever owned or seen, including superideals from PS preferred vendors. So I know that I'll have to go the custom cutting route, because I'll need that stone cut to very exacting specifications - that inconveniently also fall outside most vendors' preferred ranges... And ugh, what a headache project :silenced: So... One day just not anytime soon! :lol:

@yssie- Your stone is indeed beautiful and with the Margot setting, it looks perfect! It is a huge stone already with your small hands/ fingers so it has great finger coverage. What size are you thinking of upgrading to? Also, I would never have guessed it’s a J.

Dmndsr4evr11

Brilliant_Rock

MARGOT_1.png

MARGOT_2.png

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE them all! Best of all, your Margot and your stone. What a perfect combo!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@yssie- Your stone is indeed beautiful and with the Margot setting, it looks perfect! It is a huge stone already with your small hands/ fingers so it has great finger coverage. What size are you thinking of upgrading to? Also, I would never have guessed it’s a J.
Thank you so much!!

I'd love to jump to 5.5-6 one day ❤️

This stone is triple certed actually - GIA J (that's what I bought it with), AGS J, and - wait for it - HRD L!! There's no planet on which this stone is an L by any reasonable metric so ::shrug:: :lol:

Dmndsr4evr11

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you so much!!

I'd love to jump to 5.5-6 one day ❤️

This stone is triple certed actually - GIA J (that's what I bought it with), AGS J, and - wait for it - HRD L!! There's no planet on which this stone is an L by any reasonable metric so ::shrug:: :lol:

Wow, @yssie. Can’t wait to see that on your finger! MRB, as well? That would be GINORMOUS on your tiny hands. That would surely be a knockout! Can’t wait!

An L?!?! No way!! That’s crazy. Maybe there’ something wrong with the ink on their printer. Maybe they meant an I :???:!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
An L?!?! No way!! That’s crazy. Maybe there’ something wrong with the ink on their printer. Maybe they meant an I :???:!
:lol-2: I should have suggested this :lol: :lol:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results