shape
carat
color
clarity

My mom is unhappy with my new diamond? Please help!!!

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you're concerned about color, I would stick with G or above for peace of mind. G is still very white and it gives you a little more budget to increase the size.

I have/had owned G, H,I,J,K diamonds. Personally for me I can tell G diamonds are noticeably whiter. H/I are about the same for me in terms of whiteness (assuming ideal cut), but definitely warmer than a G (although it doesn't bother me). However, color preference is very subjective so it really depends on your or your fiancee's personal preference.

In Hong Kong usually D to G are seen as more desirable/ are more common, so that may be a factor for you. I would also suggest you can check out a local shop and ask to see some F, G and H diamonds side-by-side so you can compare them in person first. I believe HK big jewelry stores will usually carry E to H, sometimes even I diamonds (e.g. if you walk along the stretch of Queen's Road Central between Lan Kwai Fong and where you get on the Mid-Levels escalator, there are several jewelry shops that will carry loose diamonds in various colors which you can see in person).

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
How big is your mums diamond? Or did she imagine that 1.46 carats would look bigger? As for shine, those lights in jewellery stores are especially chosen to make any diamond look amazing. Maybe that's the thought she is comparing your diamond to. So take your fabulous diamond into one of those stores and be amazed and while you're there, put your diamond alongside a .50 carat, then it will look huge. As for colour, it's a yellowish tinge as you go down the colour scale, some people can spot it in an instant, others can't tell at all.

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Colour is subjective but an H is likely to be fine if you or your intended are not super colour sensitive. You could ask Whiteflash to make a comparison video of the H and an F that's the same as yours so you can see how it will look. You may well see a difference when the H is alongside the F but that won't necessarily mean it will look yellow or noticeably tinted on its own. Also how white it looks may well depend on how you're planning to set it.

kayi078

Rough_Rock
My fiancee doesn't like yellow tint diamond but I am thinking to exchange it for bigger diamond and I have to downgrade it to H SI1, how bad is it when the H color diamond is ACA cut ? will it look pure white from top, side view and will the shine turns yellowish ? Thanks

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It should face up white, but may show a little color tint from the side. (But depending on what setting you choose, that may not be an issue.)

H will still be quite white. My personal feeling is that unless you put the H next to some D/E/F diamonds nobody will be able to tell the difference. However, as is often said on PS, 'mind clean' and 'eye clean' are different things! (i.e. will your fiancee be happy if she knows it is a H stone, even if it faces up white?). I still suggest you go to a local shop and compare some F/G/H diamonds side by side. Otherwise as foxinsox suggested, ask WF to make a video with F and H diamonds side by side.

miraj

Rough_Rock
how bad is it when the H color diamond is ACA cut? will it look pure white from top, side view and will the shine turns yellowish?

Your question assumes that there is a simple "yellowish shine" boundary, where colors above are pure white and colors below are yellowish. But this boundary is different for everybody. It is a matter of likelihood and sensitivity. The standard is that it is nearly impossible to detect a yellowish shine in D-E-F diamonds, that it gets more and more easy to detect a yellowish shine in G-H-I-J diamonds. But where you set the boundary depends on your sensitivity/preference.

Go look at some different color diamonds in person so that you can see the difference for yourself! In the meantime, you can look at these videos to see the top and side view and how color influences the shine:

It is important to understand is that the light colors that you see from the top will be very strongly influenced by the lights and colors around you. If you are in a white room, you will see a full rainbow of colors; if you are in a blue room, you will see mostly blue lights with fewer other colors; if you are in a brown/yellow room, you will see mostly brown/yellow lights with fewer other colors. Even the shirt that you are wearing can be picked up and reflected back at you.

The color of the diamond will slightly influence the lights that you see from the top. If you have a slightly yellow/brown diamond and you are in a white room, you will see a full rainbow of colors from the top but there will be slightly more yellows/oranges/reds/browns ("warm" colors), and slightly fewer blues and greens ("cool" colors). As more sparkles become more "warm" then you are more likely to notice that it isn't equal.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Call or email WF and ask them if it has much body color. If you put the F next to the H, the H would look warmer. An H on its own can look white. My asscher is a G and it is completely white.

And white truly is subjective. An H color isn't worse (or a downgrade from) than a F. It is warmer than an F. That is a difference some people prefer because the colors shown in the diamond are different.

If you locally look at an H, ask to see an H first and by itself. (Make sure it is at least GIA-- NOT EGL). Don't put whiter diamonds next to it. Of course, that is not this diamond you may buy.

Call whiteflash and see what they can do for you in terms of pulling that stone and sending you comparible pics or whatever you need.

I have a small I mounted-- I'll take a pic of it in a minute.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
To be very honest, to someone who was looking at F VS1, I would not recommend going below G VS1-VS2. If you are of a culture that appreciates higher color and clarity, I especially would not consider going below G VS2.

I'd recommend these:

https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3802459.htm

https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3737017.htm

https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3801980.htm

https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3770047.htm

Last edited:

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
To most people AGS000 H will be very bright and white in person but there are always the few
color sensitive people who will think otherwise. Not sure about you or your Mom.

Edit...if it is a cultural thing then H could be too low but you have not told us/informed us of that
which would be helpful.

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
To be very honest, to someone who was looking at F VS1, I would not recommend going below G VS1-VS2. If you are of a culture that appreciates higher color and clarity, I especially would not consider going below G VS2.

I'd recommend these:

https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3802459.htm

https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3737017.htm

https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3801980.htm

https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3770047.htm

I agree with DS but would also consider this one: https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3801977.htm

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok, taking pics of diamonds is so hard and it is raining today, so I took these inside my
House in a light box. I don't think this will be helpful because I don't have a lot of time and was struggling to get decent pics:

These are all GIA graded:

Here is a GIA "I" color:
IMG_6861.JPG

IMG_6862.JPG

Here is the "I" round brilliant next to a "G"
Asscher:
IMG_6865.JPG

Here is the "I" color next to an "E" (E on left)
IMG_6870.JPG

IMG_6871.JPG

And for what it is worth, this is an H with strong fluro: (but this diamond is a hot mess of issues and is uncertified).
IMG_4145.JPG

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The only thing I would suggest depending on the costs involvednof getting another to Hong Kong and sending one back: is there any way you can buy them both, compare in person and then send one back?

ChristineRose

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
H is about the place where most people start to be able to see tint. Keep in mind that this is least possible tint you can have and still be visible. It's not yellow by anyone's standards.

Because the diamond is cut so well and is so brilliant, the tint is drowned out by the white flashes. But that's dependent on a lot of things, most importantly that people are looking at the top, not the sides.

Honestly I think you should stay with the stone you've got. I don't think you'd be comfortable with in SI1--you sound like you might be one of those people whose eyes instantly jump to the tiny little feather. And I think you'll not be happy looking at the diamond from the side and seeing it off-white instead of pure white.

You loved the diamond you got, and it's a lovable diamond. It's not for mom, it's for you and her. Most people wouldn't see a single difference unless you put these two stones side by side, and those that did see the stones side by side might well prefer smaller, whiter, and cleaner. I also suspect that your mom would be happier with a different type of cut (bigger but less sparkle), but that you would not be.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
While I can't see any tint in an H unless I am viewing it side-on against a white background with a whiter diamond to compare it to... I am sure that if you drop in color, your mom will complain your diamond is too tinted, rather than too small. Tell your mom she can either give you the money for a bigger diamond at the same color and clarity or stop complaining. This isn't a diamond problem but a mom problem.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
H will be white... face up and from the side view.

kayi078

Rough_Rock
After i talked to WF, they recommended 2 diamonds in my budget

1.614 ct H SI1 ACA CUT ABOVE (Eye clean, HCA Score 1.3)
http://www.agslab.com/pdf_sync_reports/104083381007-PGRH.PDF

1.67 ct G VS2 Premium Select Round Cut Loose Diamond (Eye clean HCA Score 2.3)
https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3726902.htm

I am leaning to get the 1.67ct premium cut since it is bigger (huge plus to me), higher in color and clarity but the HCA score really bugs me. What is your opinion? Which one i should get?

Thank you so much for all the comments.

Last edited:

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The dimensions of the diamonds -

1.614 = 7.53 x 7.57
1.67 = 7.60 x 7.64

So it's about 0.07 bigger. That's not even 0.1 mm bigger - I wouldn't factor the size into your decision because I sincerely doubt you'd be able to tell a difference.

I personally would get the H Si1 - my SIL's ring is an ideal cut H Si1 and it it gorgeous and looks white all the time to me. BUT if your fiancee (or apparently your mother, since she's involved in this too) values D-E-F color more than size, it might not be the best option because even if it LOOKS white enough they will know it is not D-E-F.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The dimensions of the diamonds -

1.614 = 7.53 x 7.57
1.67 = 7.60 x 7.64

So it's about 0.07 bigger. That's not even 0.1 mm bigger - I wouldn't factor the size into your decision because I sincerely doubt you'd be able to tell a difference.

I personally would get the H Si1 - my SIL's ring is an ideal cut H Si1 and it it gorgeous and looks white all the time to me. BUT if your fiancee (or apparently your mother, since she's involved in this too) values D-E-F color more than size, it might not be the best option because even if it LOOKS white enough they will know it is not D-E-F.

Agreed... you won't be able to tell the difference in the size. Go with the ACA.

JLW05

Brilliant_Rock
I recently purchased WF ACA studs H/VS2. I am not super color sensitive but to my eyes the diamonds face up very white. WF not only has a 30 day return window but a fantastic upgrade policy so you can always go with a higher color grade and/or a larger diamond down the road, no matter which diamond you decide on at the present time. I have many friends who have upgraded their original ER, only for them it meant puchasing a new diamond and making a pendant or right hand ring out of the original since they didn't have the advantage of being able to upgrade.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kayi - you need to answer some of the questions people are asking you.

What, precisely, does your mother dislike about it?
Why does her opinion matter?
Has your fiancee-to-be said she'd like something different?
Are there cultural issues here?
Does your mother think you should have let her pick your diamond in the first place and could she just be reacting to being cut out of the picture?

You've picked a gorgeous diamond and the size is lovely and well above the norm. Can you be more specific as to what the problem is? Personally, I would love an F VS1 stone - they're my dream stats! I would FAR prefer that little slice of luxury to something bigger but lower quality.

If you're letting your mother dictate something so personal between you and your fiancee, you might need to ask yourself who the stone is actually FOR, and what SHE would prefer ( - and that's your fiancee, NOT your mother.) Your mother isn't proposing - you are. Sounds to me like she might not know very much about diamonds, frankly.

miraj

Rough_Rock
In my 2.0ct H ACA (AGS cert) the warmness of the sparkles is pretty apparent. The stone itself doesn't look tinted from the top, but from the side the color is easily visible. In Asia, clarity is very important and I would expect color is as well. So for a 1.4ct in HK as an engagement ring, I would recommend going with a G or whiter.

Rivendell

Shiny_Rock
I don't think you should get stressed. You chose a beautiful diamond which will be beautiful when set I think that's the key here.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Look, she sounds like my mom: champagne tastes, perhaps beer budget.

She wants a bigger diamond.

So now the question becomes: how does she get a bigger diamond? Who is paying?

Also, if everyone has been handing the diamond and touching it, it is probably filthy and covered in oils. I find it hard to believe that a white flash diamond would be described as "not shiny". Clean the diamond.
I bet you money that a bigger diamond would make a huge difference to her view point. Also as another poster pointed out, maybe she is more used to a 60/60 kind of stone that reflects more white light. I can promise you there is NOTHING wrong with your diamond, and I would put oney down on that too. It's her skewed perspective. Remember, you are a big girl. YOU are going to be wearing this. Not her. Gotta start living your own life and live even if you don't have her approval. With that said, it is a great excuse to bump up the size. As a size whore myself, I would take any excuse to go bigger.:lol: "Thanks Mom! You're RIGHT!! It IS too small."

kayi078

Rough_Rock
Kayi - you need to answer some of the questions people are asking you.

What, precisely, does your mother dislike about it?
Why does her opinion matter?
Has your fiancee-to-be said she'd like something different?
Are there cultural issues here?
Does your mother think you should have let her pick your diamond in the first place and could she just be reacting to being cut out of the picture?

You've picked a gorgeous diamond and the size is lovely and well above the norm. Can you be more specific as to what the problem is? Personally, I would love an F VS1 stone - they're my dream stats! I would FAR prefer that little slice of luxury to something bigger but lower quality.

If you're letting your mother dictate something so personal between you and your fiancee, you might need to ask yourself who the stone is actually FOR, and what SHE would prefer ( - and that's your fiancee, NOT your mother.) Your mother isn't proposing - you are. Sounds to me like she might not know very much about diamonds, frankly.

Thank you for all the comments.

Maybe the table is too small (54) and it looks smaller than normal ? Anyway in here we only use GIA cert. color and clarity dont really matter as long as the diamond looks white and eye clean

WF recommended this
1.67 ct G VS2 Premium Select Round Cut Loose Diamond (Eye clean HCA Score 2.3)
https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3726902.htm

It does comes with GIA cert but my concern is it has a HCA score of 2.3. I'm a complete noob but the ideal scope & aset image looks perfect to me. Should I get this ?

Last edited:

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What if your mom doesn't like it?

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Will H SI1 ACA cut looks white in person? Im getting really stressed now =[
doesn't most Chinese prefer diamonds in the colorless range (D-F)?

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for all the comments.

Maybe the table is too small (54) and it looks smaller than normal ? Anyway in here we only use GIA cert. color and clarity dont really matter as long as the diamond looks white and eye clean
Table size have nothing to do with its diameter.

kayi078

Rough_Rock
I think my mom and fiancee will happy with G color and bigger carat but my concern is the 2.3 HCA score, should I be worried about it ? The ideal and aset image looks perfect to me

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Why don't you ask Whiteflash what is causing the HCA score and what it means in terms of performance compared to the ones with better HCA scores? From looking at the pics, idealscope, and aset, it looks to me like there is leakage under the table, but WF will probably be able to tell you exactly what the issue is.

To be clear - it's still a well cut diamond, but not quite as well cut as the ACAs. But that's the tradeoff - if you want high color and clarity and the absolute biggest size you can afford, you're going to have to drop somewhat on cut quality.

Last edited:

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
IMG_2444.jpg This is the size difference between the new two choices.

I think you should get the G VS2 because it is whiter, larger and better clarity.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results