shape
carat
color
clarity

My Mark Broumand Experience - An Asscher Setting Upgrade

H

HoneyBadger2

Hi! Wow! That is so amazing you found this post after inquiring about it.

The great thing about BN and other vendors is that they are posting more and more vidos so you can get an idea of the diamond's personality. I went with BN because I could filter by fluorescence since medium to strong was a requirement for me. Then I set the rest of my filters and started looking to maximize the 4 Cs based on my budget. My diamond is VG cut and appears larger than most of similar carat weight so I sacrificed on cut for size. I loved it but always wanted more fire so had looked into upgrading the stone until I realized that I would have to spend so much more to get a 3+ carat excellent cut asscher. I ultimately decided on resetting it and could not be happier. It has more fire than ever and the setting really enhances the stone. You have to decide which of the 4 Cs you must have versus which you are willing to compromise on.

I would love to hear what you decide on. If you have any other questions, please let me know.

Thanks for the info! We've been doing this for awhile and had my heart set on a 3 stone asscher from Leon Mege but we've decided not to work with him. My BF just didn't feel comfortable with him and with this much at stake that's a must. Now that I've seen your ring I'm flip flopping on the setting! Truth be told I've always loved the simplicity of a setting like yours but am worried I'm just too hard on things and it won't be robust enough for me for everyday wear. Any thoughts?

As for the rock itself, yes I agree you have to decide what's import to you and maybe give a little on the other points. I feel like with an asscher the fire or cut is so important. This to me is worth more than a large stone but with aschers they don't grade the cut so I'm left abstractly determining if something looks better than another based on a video. In your opinion did your stone show as well or better in person than it did online?

H

HoneyBadger2

Sorry, duh, you had MB do the setting. Too many convos going on (most of them in my head. Haha)

fritzi

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the info! We've been doing this for awhile and had my heart set on a 3 stone asscher from Leon Mege but we've decided not to work with him. My BF just didn't feel comfortable with him and with this much at stake that's a must. Now that I've seen your ring I'm flip flopping on the setting! Truth be told I've always loved the simplicity of a setting like yours but am worried I'm just too hard on things and it won't be robust enough for me for everyday wear. Any thoughts?

As for the rock itself, yes I agree you have to decide what's import to you and maybe give a little on the other points. I feel like with an asscher the fire or cut is so important. This to me is worth more than a large stone but with aschers they don't grade the cut so I'm left abstractly determining if something looks better than another based on a video. In your opinion did your stone show as well or better in person than it did online?
The setting is definitely delicate and seems like it will hold up but I am not too rough on my hands or in general. I have always preferred a simple delicate setting and I am so happy that MB makes them so well. I wear my ring every day and take it off only for washing my hands and at bed.

That is good you know that you want an excellent cut with your stone. On BN they have their signature ideal stones with videos and I can tell the difference between those and others. Any vendor you go through should have videos and if you look through enough of them you will start to see qualities you prefer and stones that are livelier. When I purchased my stone I purchased it blind and did not have a picture or a video. My goal was to maximize size for the price with strong blue fluorescence. I love fluorescence because I feel like it is a secret my diamond possesses and will come to life in various settings. It can also make a lower colored diamond appear a higher color. It is just a preference and everyone will have their own opinion on it. I love how asschers have larger flashes of fire and brilliance. I think another recommendation on this forum would be to not go too low on clarity because you may actually see some of the inclusions in the stone because it is so clear. I narrowed my search to VS1 and above.

Hope this helps. Please do let me know if you have any other questions.

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The setting is definitely delicate and seems like it will hold up but I am not too rough on my hands or in general. I have always preferred a simple delicate setting and I am so happy that MB makes them so well. I wear my ring every day and take it off only for washing my hands and at bed.

That is good you know that you want an excellent cut with your stone. On BN they have their signature ideal stones with videos and I can tell the difference between those and others. Any vendor you go through should have videos and if you look through enough of them you will start to see qualities you prefer and stones that are livelier. When I purchased my stone I purchased it blind and did not have a picture or a video. My goal was to maximize size for the price with strong blue fluorescence. I love fluorescence because I feel like it is a secret my diamond possesses and will come to life in various settings. It can also make a lower colored diamond appear a higher color. It is just a preference and everyone will have their own opinion on it. I love how asschers have larger flashes of fire and brilliance. I think another recommendation on this forum would be to not go too low on clarity because you may actually see some of the inclusions in the stone because it is so clear. I narrowed my search to VS1 and above.

Hope this helps. Please do let me know if you have any other questions.
I agree with Fritzi concerning Cut & Clarity. One must be very careful, when dealing with step Cut stones. My DH got SUPER lucky with my EC; it's an SI2 in clarity, but it's really eye clean. All of the inclusions are clear & hidden. In fact, my jeweler has advised me to have it appraised because SI2 appears to be too low of a grade for my stone, and that was determined AFTER looking at it 10x magnified. It would be helpful if you could see the diamond, and its inclusions under magnifications before determining which of the 4 C's is necessary to compromise. I've never dealt with online vendors for a purchase, but I have reached out to GOG to investigate diamonds, and ideas to customize a piece I wanted to create. They were wonderful to deal with, and their videos were extensive, clear, and informative. I'd highly recommend GOG to anyone! They were wonderful to deal with & very prompt & informative! I will contact them again, in a heartbeat! I'm certain they would provide anything you asked in order to make an informed decision. Clarity is a high priority for a quality step cut diamond.
Everyone has their own personal preferences, and step-cuts require a little extra effort to find the "right" one. If you can find a considerably sized Royal Asscher Diamond between 1-2.5ct, in a preferred color range, with very good to ideal cut, 1.00:1 l x w ratio, with a clarity grade that leaves your stone eye clean, and fits your budget...JUMP ON IT! Otherwise, weigh the pros & cons & follow your heart. You'll know when you find the Asscher for you! My EC SCREAMED at me from the showcase, and my DH fell in love with her. He fell deeper in love with her incredible price for her quality...lol! When you find yours, you (and he) will know. ;-)
I am incredibly excited about your choice to wear an Asscher Diamond!! Step Cuts are my absolute favorites! I, myself, am in the beginning stages of customizing & creating a Royal Asscher Anniversary Band!!! I can't wait to see what you choose!!! :D:appl:
You MUST SHARE with us, when you find her!! Best of luck!!!
CRM

H

HoneyBadger2

Thank you both Mathews1127 and fritzi! Yes agreed step cuts require high (at least eye clean clarity). I wouldn't compromise that for size. Yes agreed GOG is great for comparisons and education. I'd have no problem using them to source a stone for us but my issue is the BF doesn't want to purchase online or out of country, we're in Canada. We went to NYC in October to see LMs work and picked something beautiful out (3 stone asscher G VS1). When we changed our mind about LM we decided we'd try to have that ring custom made locally. Well fast forward and it's now July and I'm seeing lots of other things that I find interesting! LOL Your ring being my favourite! I really do however keep coming back to the 3 stone ring (a la Harry Winston) but it's really hard to find any large stones locally to see in person - I have large fingers (7.5) so i'm thinking a need a big rock to go with them! and as well a jeweller that can do the delicate double eagle claws I'm so attached to. I know, the struggle is real! haha So I've been in contact with several local jewellers and wouldn't you know it - they can't get better videos or images than what we can online, and all the stones are out of country anyway. So basically we either import through the jeweller (blindly i might add) or do so ourselves through a reputable jeweller with access to high res images and videos. And if we're going to go that route, I see no reason not to have the setting done by someone in the US as well. I'll def keep you posted as to what we pick. Don't hold your breath however, this could take awhile longer! haha. Until then, here's a sample of what I love (besides your ring!) 095e24a3a083d51b0ce23540988834bf.jpg

H

HoneyBadger2

And yes, I too have a diamond (pendant) that has fluorescence. I liked how it made it so white even at a lower colour. It really is a personal thing.

H

HoneyBadger2

Mathews1127 I'd love to see your ring too!

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
HoneyBadger2:
Here is my thread dedicated to my EC. Feel free to scroll through...there are plenty of photos!! I add pix, as I come across photos of her I just ADORE!

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/meet-uisce.231677/

Your struggle is, indeed, real!! It will be well worth it all, once that beautiful sparkler is on your finger!!! :D:D

I have an obsession with Asschers & EC's, and there are MANY on PS that I just can't get enough of! I'm quite certain yours will make my list of drool-worthy bling!!! ;-)

H

HoneyBadger2

Wowzers! your rings are beautiful. You're right, the centre stone really looks clear - it's a beautiful stone. Great size too :) The setting shows it off well.
Your eBand is incredible too. Great pair together.

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wowzers! your rings are beautiful. You're right, the centre stone really looks clear - it's a beautiful stone. Great size too :) The setting shows it off well.
Your eBand is incredible too. Great pair together.
Thank you!!! You will find your set!! Your perfect pair is out there!! Just keep looking!!! ;-)
CRM

fritzi

Rough_Rock
Thank you both Mathews1127 and fritzi! Yes agreed step cuts require high (at least eye clean clarity). I wouldn't compromise that for size. Yes agreed GOG is great for comparisons and education. I'd have no problem using them to source a stone for us but my issue is the BF doesn't want to purchase online or out of country, we're in Canada. We went to NYC in October to see LMs work and picked something beautiful out (3 stone asscher G VS1). When we changed our mind about LM we decided we'd try to have that ring custom made locally. Well fast forward and it's now July and I'm seeing lots of other things that I find interesting! LOL Your ring being my favourite! I really do however keep coming back to the 3 stone ring (a la Harry Winston) but it's really hard to find any large stones locally to see in person - I have large fingers (7.5) so i'm thinking a need a big rock to go with them! and as well a jeweller that can do the delicate double eagle claws I'm so attached to. I know, the struggle is real! haha So I've been in contact with several local jewellers and wouldn't you know it - they can't get better videos or images than what we can online, and all the stones are out of country anyway. So basically we either import through the jeweller (blindly i might add) or do so ourselves through a reputable jeweller with access to high res images and videos. And if we're going to go that route, I see no reason not to have the setting done by someone in the US as well. I'll def keep you posted as to what we pick. Don't hold your breath however, this could take awhile longer! haha. Until then, here's a sample of what I love (besides your ring!) 095e24a3a083d51b0ce23540988834bf.jpg
GOG is great with videos and helping sort between what is available. The style in the pic you posted is a classic design and looks great with an asscher.

Perhaps try some similar styles on and decide what speaks to you more. I tried on so many rings when I was first engaged. I originally thought I wanted a princess cut but ended up with a cushion cut. Once I tried it on my DH and I knew that was it and nothing else could compare. I am not saying you would change the cut of the stone but it might help narrow down between your choices of settings.

H

HoneyBadger2

Yes, I've tried on lots too and the emerald and asscher just kept coming up the favourites. We had on a beautiful stone at Tiffany's but were not prepared to pay what they wanted for it. I find it hard to know if I like the cut if the size is way smaller than what I would get. For example I love the emerald cut but in the size that most stores carry in stock I feel it looks to plain as a solitaire but in a larger stone it probably wouldn't. I know in the end I can't go wrong with a larger, nicely cut, clean stone. Really the side stones, pave, or anything else will just be gravy!

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, I've tried on lots too and the emerald and asscher just kept coming up the favourites. We had on a beautiful stone at Tiffany's but were not prepared to pay what they wanted for it. I find it hard to know if I like the cut if the size is way smaller than what I would get. For example I love the emerald cut but in the size that most stores carry in stock I feel it looks to plain as a solitaire but in a larger stone it probably wouldn't. I know in the end I can't go wrong with a larger, nicely cut, clean stone. Really the side stones, pave, or anything else will just be gravy!
This is a very difficult process. It's easy to get frustrated, especially under your circumstances. My DH & I compared several stones (carat size v. price) just as a starting point to visually get an idea of what would work for us. We were fortunate to have a few to sit down & look at to compare not only against my hand, but set in a setting that I found that I fell in love with. Each time, we unanimously agreed a larger diamond met our aesthetic expectations. We also agreed that a Square Emerald didn't meet our demands, either, and we were very lucky to find a true Emerald Cut Diamond (the true rectangular EC's that fall into the l x w ratio between 1.40-1.60:1 are more & more difficult to find, these days).
Most jewelry stores don't keep more than a light handful of step cut diamonds in stock, and have to special order step cuts from outside vendors based upon the customer's specific details. Our jeweler had 2 in store step cuts, and we had to sit down with them & view virtual diamonds just to discuss what we were looking for and our budget.
I started looking at EC's about 15 years ago, just to be prepared, when the time came. I was pleased to learn that the price range for EC's hadn't really changed over time, but I still found that finding a diamond in the price range that I wanted that was still high quality was extremely difficult.
DH & I have a blended family; we have a total of 6 children (welcome to the Brady Bunch!). That poses a financial constraint, so, we had to be extremely reasonable with our purchase. If he & I didn't have any children at the time, our budget would have been much different, and I'm certain we probably would have had more options.
The only portion of his purchase that I knew was a guarantee was my stone. He got an amazing deal, and jumped on that, immediately. The rest, I wanted to be a surprise, so I left it up to him to choose a setting based upon the ideas I shared with him. He chose my first choice (and true love...lol)!
Since the purchase, I have searched for an EC that matches the quality & specs of my diamond for the price, and I haven't found ANYTHING...nothing online, and nothing in-store...not even at my jeweler's. Every time I go to visit to discuss my Asscher Band, my EC becomes a major topic of conversation; they have not seen another like mine, since. I have no doubt we found the needle in the hay stack, and I feel even more pride knowing that I didn't bury us in a mountain of debt to get the ring of my lifetime.
I am proud to place Uisce among the great beauties of our heirloom pieces; some day, she will belong to my daughter. :D:D
I wish you only the best of luck in your search for the Diamond of your dreams. Reading your posts about what you're looking for only makes me more excited...I am truly looking forward to seeing what you find!! I am already happy for you...lol!!
The anticipation is going to kill me!!!:lol:
If there is anything I can do to help, please let me know...I'm more than willing! ;-)
CRM

H

HoneyBadger2

Yes, budget is always the determining factor! We're also a bit of a Brady Bunch and of course breaking the bank on a ring wouldn't make sense.

Sounds like you scored with your stone and patience paid off. I know we'll find something perfect too - I'm OK with being patient! I know my BF struggles with wanting to do this himself and surprise me and also making sure I get exactly what I want. I struggle with it too. The good news is he knows me and what I like and I have no doubt when the time comes, it will be perfect. It's one thing to look at 'stones' under 10x mag and another to get a completed ring along with a proposal from the love of your life! I don't think the things I think that matter will at that point! lol

Also an update - I had seen a beautiful (newly cut) antique cushion online, that I fell in love with. There was something about it. I could totally picture it in the setting like yours fritzi but probably with platinum since the color was an E and would have looked great. My BF reminded me how much I love step cuts and that I would regret it if I didn't stick with one. After 'chatting' here, I've renewed my love for them and really think this is the cut for me. The good news is he too loves them - that's important to me, I wouldn't enjoy something knowing he wasn't a fan. When i showed him fritzi's ring he just smiled and agreed it was stunning. I think he was happy I found my way back to the asschers. LOL

Stay tuned! haha

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm late to the party here, but I have to respond and say that I love your ring. The stone itself, gorgeous, and the new setting takes it up several notches! The rose gold, the pave, the band, its all amazing. Congrats on your fabulous new ring and did I miss more pics?????

fritzi

Rough_Rock
I'm late to the party here, but I have to respond and say that I love your ring. The stone itself, gorgeous, and the new setting takes it up several notches! The rose gold, the pave, the band, its all amazing. Congrats on your fabulous new ring and did I miss more pics?????
Hi! Thank you so much! I have not taken more pics but I probably should. Perhaps this weekend when I have more time and the sun is shining bright.

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi! Thank you so much! I have not taken more pics but I probably should. Perhaps this weekend when I have more time and the sun is shining bright.
Yes, Fritzi!! PLEASE take more pix, and share!! I'll be spending my weekend gawking at your gorgeous set!! *Sparkle Sparkle*!!! :D

blingstalker

Rough_Rock
@fritzi what a GORGEOUS ring! Diamond, setting, metal choice, prongs, it's spectacular. I'm about to reset my ring and trying to figure out proportions...what is the width of your band? My jeweler is saying he won't go below 2mm for platinum (I'm deciding between the metals)... definitely need to do more research and try a few more rings :)

Hello!

I have spent years reading the many stories of people who do custom settings and finally decided it was my turn.

I originally purchased my 2.17 carat I VS1 asscher from Blue Nile over 3 years ago. See SMTB thread here: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/many-pics-of-my-dreamy-asscher.204987/

I had looked at some of Blue Nile's simple pave settings and was not in love at the time so I bought a simple platinum setting knowing I would upgrade at some point. I was not a fan of how large the prongs were on the Blue Nile setting and felt there was too much metal surrounding the diamond. The large prongs made my asscher look completely square and seemed to take away from the corners. I loved the diamond but became tired of the setting. At one point I had considering upgrading the diamond because I thought that would make a difference but then realized the setting would have to be replaced as well. Having a custom setting built seemed like an intense process that I was not sure I was ready for.

That is until I saw the creations by Mark Broumand on Instagram. I was immediately mesmerized by the beauty and delicate settings along with the amazing videos of each piece. After a few months of admiring those videos I decided to reach out for a quote. I received a quick response and was pleasantly surprised that the price of the setting was not ridiculously high like I was expecting. Mr. Broumand and I emailed back and forth for over a week narrowing in on the exact specs and how the process would work. I was also surprised the process was not as intense as I thought it was and was relatively easy. When it came time to the up front payment, I spoke to him personally and I appreciated his professionalism and the fact that he listened to what I wanted. It took about 3 weeks to prepare the setting and then he sent me a prepaid shipping label to send him my diamond. It was only a few days later that when I received the video and pics of my diamond in its new setting.

Video:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BVSphRzHEqI/

Wow! I was so amazed how this setting highlighted my diamond and was exactly what I wanted. I could not be more pleased with the experience. The prongs are so much smaller and I can now actually see the true shape of the asscher. The pave diamonds are excellent cut and match my center stone. I switched to a rose gold setting and love its contrast with my diamond. I had also requested the diamonds in the setting to have fluorescence and appreciate that nearly 1/3 of them do, one even has a pink/orange fluorescence and I love it. I am so happy to finally have a setting that allows my diamond to really shine. :love:

Before:

Screen Shot 2017-06-22 at 12.51.39 PM.png

After:

**edited by moderator, no logos allowed, please upload new photos**

Screen Shot 2017-06-22 at 12.50.20 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-06-22 at 12.51.19 PM.png

fritzi

Rough_Rock
@fritzi what a GORGEOUS ring! Diamond, setting, metal choice, prongs, it's spectacular. I'm about to reset my ring and trying to figure out proportions...what is the width of your band? My jeweler is saying he won't go below 2mm for platinum (I'm deciding between the metals)... definitely need to do more research and try a few more rings :)
Hi! Thank you so very much for your wonderful complement. I can send a message to the jeweler to ask him how wide it is. I definitely do not think it is larger than 2mm.

fritzi

Rough_Rock

Hi! I have been told that the shank is just under 2mm. I hope this helps!

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh gosh :love: look at that perfect cube of glittery goodness. I love how solidly it's sitting on that delicate band - it's substantial and has a real presence

fritzi

Rough_Rock
Oh gosh :love: look at that perfect cube of glittery goodness. I love how solidly it's sitting on that delicate band - it's substantial and has a real presence
Thank you! That describes it perfectly. I was worried it would be too delicate but it is very solid and secure. I normally also wear an eternity band but I have been enjoying this all by itself.

H

HoneyBadger2

Hi again! Fritzi I know you had said you wanted a stone with Flor and I want to find out more about why? Im asking because I’ve found one that is an L color but faces up around an I because of strong flor. It looks great in pic but would love to hear your input about flor in an asscher.
https://instagram.com/p/BftYAljAbNw

Thanks!

H

HoneyBadger2

I thought I would finally add a few pictures. They are so hard to capture on an iPhone.

IMG_1547.JPG IMG_1564.JPG IMG_1602.JPG
I somehow missed these pix... Love, love love the ring and the stone. Great choices and totally my style.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results