shape
carat
color
clarity

my journey with my wabi-sabi stone

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

fountainfairfax

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/4/2005 3:26:41 PM
Author: MelissaSue
fountain - the new stone pics look fantastic! I wish I had taken a pic of my stone loose. I have one from my jeweler, but thats like mega-magnified, it''d have been neat to have just a normal pic like that. I was way too excited to just get the stone into FIs hands and have it set!!
How big IS that stone? It looks HUGE... and GORGEOUS!! I love it!
MelissaSue- thanks for your help and the compliments- you have been a great resource in this confusing time! last night I actually had a dream about the vatche x prong, something is very wrong with me
3.gif

I am glad I get to take a few photos of the unset stone but if we were prepared to get the vatche now I would''ve had it set yesterday and to hell w/the pics!!!
the appraisal is on St Patty''s day so I''ll have the weight then..it''s about 8mm across and rather deep, so maybe a little over 2cts??? I''m really curious to see what the appraiser has to say.

fountainfairfax

Brilliant_Rock
Buena-

I can''t believe how much of what you had to say echos my thoughts regarding my stone and my ongoing acceptance of it''s unique beauty and the appreciation of the enormous sentimental value it holds for me. I think we''re oec/omc soul sistas
3.gif
I''m totally with you on the "color snob" thing- I''ve driven bf crazy with the whole "does this look yellow to you?" conversation. It really helps to get input from my fellow psers like you and MelissaSue because I do tend to let the amazing rings posted here put a damper on my excitement and then I see Melissa''s & Mrssalvo''s beauties and hear your story and I calm down and enjoy it all....

as for your potential Tacori setting- I LOVE the entire Hummingbird line- I''m a September baby so I''m always drawn to the ones w/sapphire sidestones. I think the Tacoris have both modern and vintage influences and are the perfect compliment to our stones. Have you posted any pics of your current ring? I would love to see it...I hope you''ll keep us all updated as you go through the new setting process.

Thanks again for your insight, it is so very appreciated!

Buena Girl

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/4/2005 10:39:25 PM
Author: fountainfairfax
Buena-

I can''t believe how much of what you had to say echos my thoughts regarding my stone and my ongoing acceptance of it''s unique beauty and the appreciation of the enormous sentimental value it holds for me. I think we''re oec/omc soul sistas
3.gif
I know!! When I was reading your posts, I was like, "Yes, yes, I know exactly how she feels!"

I think that our carat weights are probably similar, too. My mom thinks mine is around 2 carats, but I won''t know for sure until I have it looked at. Our plan to take out the OMC and put a gemstone in the setting will probably happen closer to May. I would like to pay for that and give it to her for Mother''s Day. I haven''t looked into getting the OMC appraised yet. I thought it would probably make more sense to do that after I have the loose diamond. Do you think that would be the best way to do it?

As yet, I have not taken any pictures of the ring. I have been planning to, but the ring is with my mom and we haven''t been able to pencil in a "photo shoot
10.gif
" yet. I go a little overboard with digital photos, so I will probably spend at least an hour taking pictures of it from every angle, plus hand shots (on my mom''s hand, because the ring fits her but is too small for my 7 1/2 ring size), and probably a few artsy pictures. I may be able to do it this weekend. I''ll post a few if they look o.k.

As far as putting the OMC into a Tacori setting, that is a big ol'' boy soon question mark. Technically, I have left the final decision up to b/f. It comes down to this: Recently, I accidentally fell in love with a particular Tacori setting, and I have firmly decided that the OMC will be put into that setting or one similar. However, I have let b/f know that he can make the decision as to whether my OMC will be my e-ring or a right hand ring.

If he would prefer to purchase a diamond and put it into a setting so that I will be totally surprised and it would come 100% from him, that sounds great to me. I will then purchase the Tacori setting, and make my OMC into a right hand ring. Or, he can (on the sly) get my OMC put into a Tacori setting, as long as it is from the Hummingbird collection. I would be ecstatic with almost any of those settings. BTW, have you seen the ones you like that are sapphire settings in person -> GORGEOUS
30.gif
. For me, THE setting would be the one that is the bezel. It''s so odd, because I never thought I would be a bezel lover, but it was love at first sight when I accidentally saw that setting at a jewelry store. But honestly, I would be really happy with whatever he chooses.

The tricky part is that I would still like a little element of surprise, so I don''t want him to tell me what he chooses to do. I want to find out at the moment he proposes. However, I have to fess up that I did have a salesperson write down the item number for the bezel Tacori ring on a business card from the jewelry store. B/f wasn''t with me. When I saw him later that night, I gave him the card and told him he may find the information useful.
27.gif

Deep down in my heart, I really hope he chooses to have my OMC set and give it to me as my e-ring. Here''s the main reasons: 1. I would feel horrible if he spent a huge sum of money on an engagemet ring diamond large enough to try to "balance out" me having @ a 2 carat right hand ring when he could be saving money for things like the honeymoon or a house. 2. If he only had to buy a setting, I would think he would be able to purchase it sooner. 3. I am really starting to get excited about wearing my OMC, and it would be extra special to me if it was my e-ring.

YIKES, this is a very long post and it''s all about me
6.gif
Sorry for the mini-hijack of your thread!!! I hadn''t posted any personal info yet about my e-ring aspirations, and I guess I got a little carried away
2.gif
I''ll post it in the LIW area, too, in case anyone might be interested.

fountainfairfax

Brilliant_Rock
Buena-

It really is funny how similar our experiences & feelings are regarding these stones!

I think your idea of giving your Mom the original setting with a gemstone for Mother''s day is wonderful!!!! Because my sister was so upset about my Aunt''s ring I''ve considered putting a tanzanite (her fav stone) in the old setting as a b-day gift for her, which is also in May..

I decided to do the appraisal with the loose stone after discovering ps and getting my curiosity up... I also really have been driving myself wacky with the stone''s color issue because the setting was yellow gold and these old stones pick up color from everything!!! I hope by having it appraised loose I will get more accurate specs....

Now for the pitfalls....no setting=ohmygodwhatifIlosethis! I live in fear of losing it, I can''t wear it on my pinky and stare at it throughout the day, it seems like no one will insure it unset and now for the BIG ONE: I will then be at the mercy of the bf and girl-soon vs boy-soon (an issue best left for your new thread in the are we there yet forum
3.gif
) and I''ll address that more over there......

I hope you get the chance to get some pics this weekend...it''s very good that the ring is with your Mom, otherwise you''d be obsessing like me and its not healthy
2.gif

I''m so glad you finally posted your aspirations..the Tacori settings are beyond perfect and your idea of the rhr is very intriguing...hmmm, if my bf flakes that would always be an option...I LOVE the bezel and now can''t wait to see your stone because I''m sure it will be a wonderful match!

I''ll continue over in your new thread later today....

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
I am in awe of this stone--I think it's just luscious! And how special. I think whatever setting you put it in will be beautiful, including an xprong.
30.gif
3.gif

Congrats on this special gift and the excitement ahead!
1.gif

JCJD

Brilliant_Rock
Your Aunt''s stone is gorgeous!!! I love the cushiony shape and the large culet - gives it a "historic" look, if you know what I mean. Don''t worry about its specs or what jewelers or Joe Schmoe thinks about it, cause all that matters is you''re happy with it!!

It turns out my great grandmother had some pearl dangle earrings that my grandmother wants to give to me for my wedding. They are probably set in yellow gold, and I''m a platinum girl, but you know what? I am so happy to "sacrifice" my white metal look to wear my great grandmother''s earrings in my wedding because the history behind them outweighs whatever "look" I was going for. So totally enjoy your beautiful diamond!

Buena Girl

Brilliant_Rock
fountainfairfax-

Here''s some pictures of my ring. The handshots are actually of my hand. I was able to squeeze the ring most of the way onto my finger. I apologize for the amount of pictures!!! I had trouble deciding which ones would show color and/or inclusions the best. I am really clueless about it.

If anyone can tell me more about my diamond (color? noticeable inclusions? cut characteristics?), I have a thread in Are We There Yet titled "my ring aspirations" and would appreciate input
1.gif

So what do you think ff, do we have sister diamonds ?
10.gif

BGgma.jpg

Kaili

Brilliant_Rock
I adore your stone, and I think it will look fantastic in whatever setting you choose!
9.gif

fountainfairfax

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/6/2005 10:32:55 PM
Author: Buena Girl
fountainfairfax-

Here''s some pictures of my ring. The handshots are actually of my hand. I was able to squeeze the ring most of the way onto my finger. I apologize for the amount of pictures!!! I had trouble deciding which ones would show color and/or inclusions the best. I am really clueless about it.

If anyone can tell me more about my diamond (color? noticeable inclusions? cut characteristics?), I have a thread in Are We There Yet titled ''my ring aspirations'' and would appreciate input
1.gif

So what do you think ff, do we have sister diamonds ?
10.gif

I think I got the ugly stepsister
3.gif
only kidding- I love wabi-sabi but your stone kicks serious butt!!!!!

I did post some other comments in your thread but I have to say that I can''t wait for both stones to be reset- I bet we are both going to be so happy with the final results- yeahhhh for us!

Buena Girl

Brilliant_Rock
ff-
Ugly stepsister
23.gif
?!? No way!!!!! Not even close!!

Now for the important stuff -> I have a picture request. More please!! I LOVE
30.gif
to see the beautiful rainbows from diamonds. Could you post a picture of yours spraying rainbows?

Mine seems to work best near a window, with the shade almost all the way down. This lets like a ray of light shine directly on it. Then I had a white piece of paper for the rainbows to reflect onto. They also reflected onto the shade.

If you discover a way to get even more rainbows, please let me know!!!

fountainfairfax

Brilliant_Rock
Buena-

one thing I have no problem with is taking more pics!!!!!

when I first left GOG after they took the stone out I saw those beautiful little stars & rainbows all over the windshield. I was also able to get the stone to do reflect that kind of light with my computer desk lamp...so I will give it a try tonight!

I''ll be posting more over on your thread in a little bit.....

and thank you for the kind comments regarding my stone....ya know I still love it!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results