shape
carat
color
clarity

my journey with my wabi-sabi stone

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

fountainfairfax

Brilliant_Rock
Hello all! If you''ve seen any of my other posts (mainly on the "are we there yet?" threads) I recently inherited a less-than-perfect (hence wabi-sabi) OEC/OMC (?) diamond from my beloved Aunt/Godmother. It was her engagement ring (although she changed the setting more than once) and it was her mother-in-law''s e-ring before, so it is from the 1920''s at the latest.....

My story begins with a family fight, because while the ring was left to me, my sister feels that it is obscene to take the stone out of my Aunt''s setting. The setting is a yg tiffany solitaire- I''m a wg, platinum kind of girl and I tend to like vintagey things...my parents hold onto the ring for months until my sister and I can come to an agreement...over the months my boyfriend and I become more serious, he moves in and we start the marriage talk. In the back of my head I''m thinking "I would love to wear Aunt Ann''s stone in my engagement ring" 1st because it really does mean a lot to me and 2nd-hey, free diamond!!! I approach my sister, explain my intent and after listening she agrees that as long as I do not compromise the yg setting and save it for her daughter (bf & I are not going to have children) she''s ok with it. So I get the ring and begin to obsess...

I find price scope where I learn way more about diamonds than I ever thought I would and still can''t get enough!

I have to accept that my stone, while measuring almost 8mm across, has a carbon inclusion visable from the side only, isn''t round like I always thought (although I believe it''s rounder than a cushion cut,)has what y''all refer to as a "sewer-pipe" cutlet and in its yg setting is, well, yellowish. On the good side, hey its a good size stone for big ole me (size 7 ring, 5''9" tall) it throws off light and color and reflections that are really beautiful, it belonged to someone I love dearly and will always miss...wabi-sabi: finding beauty in those things flawed...

So the plotting begins...take picture and try to post...no luck, files too large...more pictures, wear the ring on a chain around my neck and spend way too much time both at work and at home staring at it.
I become crazy about the color, the flaws and my inability to take a decent photo or even post a bad one (and I was a fine art photo major in college!)

I decide that what I need to satisfy my curiosity and obession is an independent appraisal and start looking...Oldminer would be my first choice but my email goes unanswered so either the attached files were too large and my email went undelivered or my wabi-sabi stone really doesn''t require that kind of skill
7.gif
using the resources link I find Jewelry Judge and I have an appraisal appointment for March 17th! Yeah, first step taken....

then I discover that BF and I have very different general tastes in e-ring settings- he likes thick bands, I''m looking at micro pave. I love Sheldon Speyer and Richard Landi vintage-style settings, he calls them "grandma rings" but one night while staring at my computer monitor he leans over my shoulder and says "hey, go back to that other ring" its the Vatche X prong. I love it! He''s about excited as he''s ever gonna get...but will it "go" with wabi-sabi? what if wabi-sabi appraises at an M color? Lets face it, this sucker has to come out of the setting...

Today I went to the GOG storefront for the first time, wabi-sabi on my pinkie and ask them to take it out of the setting..they are very nice, no comments about the stone but no charge for removing it. I get out to car, can''t resist, take out the paper and while it''s no D color it''s not as bad as I thought and it throws reflections and colors all over the steering wheel and dashboard.

Wabi-sabi or not I love it!

godletthiswork1.jpg

fountainfairfax

Brilliant_Rock
another shot

godletthiswork4.jpg

fountainfairfax

Brilliant_Rock
stone only..removed from its setting

godletthiswork2.jpg

fountainfairfax

Brilliant_Rock
my stone in the snow....

godletthiswork3.jpg

fountainfairfax

Brilliant_Rock
Sorry the pics are so small I am working on that little detail...

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
OHHH, I love Old stones, I have an OEC myself, tons of fire. My Grandmother had a 2.2 round OEC in a platinum filigree setting. I always loved it growing up. After she passed away we had it appraised. it was an M, Si1. It looked yellow compared to whiter stones but in it''s original setting it was stunning. My parents sold it. My sister and I look back and wish we would have stopped that sale and held onto the ring. You are very fortunate to have a piece of history to now call as your own. did you decide to go with the vatche setting?

fountainfairfax

Brilliant_Rock
mrssalvo-

I''m sorry to hear about your g-ma''s ring being sold..we have too many of those stories in my family too.
I''m really beginning to appreciate these stones, too.
I wish I could post better pics cause it really is a beauty in its own special way.

I''m not going to decide what setting to choose until after I have it appraised...I''d like to hear opinions about oec stones in settings like the vatche- I know most of these stones end up in vintage-style settings but I may break the mold...

MelissaSue

Ideal_Rock
Fountain - I too have an OEC. Inherited from my great grandmother. My sister and I each have an OEC as the center stone in our E-rings.
They are BEAUTIFUL. Mine has a carbon inclusion visibile from the side too!!

Mine is a I-J SI2 .955 ct.

Yours is SOOO much bigger! It looks great, although the pics aren''t that clear. :)

MelissaSue

Ideal_Rock
oh.. Mine is in a modern setting too!! Lemme show you!!

This picture shows the difference between the OEC and the modern RBs pretty good I think

100_1331 resize.JPG

MelissaSue

Ideal_Rock
and here is my setting, if you''re interested
goodsideview1.JPG

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Here''s a pic of mine in a 6 prong tiffany setting.

oldoecofmine.jpg

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/3/2005 10:57:50 PM
Author: MelissaSue
oh.. Mine is in a modern setting too!! Lemme show you!!

This picture shows the difference between the OEC and the modern RBs pretty good I think

melissasue -- that is gorgeous
30.gif
30.gif

fountainfairfax

Brilliant_Rock
oh, how beautiful!!! you give me hope that the vatche setting will work cause yours is perfect!!! thanks for sharing- this weekend I will get proper pics of the stone posted so please keep checking back!
I''ll be asking your opinions after I get the appraisal back, so be prepared
2.gif

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
FF, I think it is just beautiful!!! Color and clarity be damned, it is classic, has a gorgeous shape (aren''t some OMC/OEC stones considered cushions?) and the meaning it has b/c of your aunt supercedes any "specs" issues! So glad you and your bf have found a setting you both like....maybe you can get a gorgeous antiquey RHR for yourself one of these days. AND glad you and your sis were able to agree and she''s content w/ the YG setting.

(MS, I LOVE seeing yours again!!! It looks much whiter than i-j!!)

I hope to also have an old stone whenever my bf and I get around to it (read: whenever boy-soon turns out to be) b/c we''ve already discussed using a family stone of his.....the mystery is that neither of us know yet what that will be--his mother has intimated to him that such stones exist in the bank, and I guess we''ll just wait and see! SOmeday....

But anyway, FF, it looks lovely, and that shot in the snow especially, NOT yellow!

fountainfairfax

Brilliant_Rock
ok- forgive me if this one is no better but am trying to get a few nicer pics!

ffffinaltry3.jpg

fountainfairfax

Brilliant_Rock
ok Melissa, I may have gotten a little better...

fffstonemyfinaltry1.jpg

fountainfairfax

Brilliant_Rock
mrssalvo- you''re giving more hope that my new dream of the vatche x prong may be realized! How beautiful your ring is!

blueroses- I remember reading your story about the mystery stone..how exciting!!! I bet it will be wonderful! Thank you so much for your kind words, sometimes on ps it''s easy for me to get all caught up in the beautiful bling and I forget to be greatful for my unique stone. And you read my mind, cause I''ve been looking at antiquey stuff for my rh!! Thanks again!

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/3/2005 11:59:42 PM
Author: fountainfairfax
Hey! That''s one wonderful diamond you''ve got there
9.gif

Sure it will work just great with the X-prong. Just make sure you get the right size of that setting (ask which fits the diameter, not the weight of your stone).

Is GOG providing the setting ? If so... would you care to ask for an Ideal-Scope picture of this beauty
1.gif
Just curious - Jonathan stocks some awesome old mine cuts !

fountainfairfax

Brilliant_Rock
please don''t kill me for posting more stone pics....this is no flash, just using available sunlight

fffmorninglight1.jpg

fountainfairfax

Brilliant_Rock
and with a lot of flash....

fffalotofflash1.jpg

fountainfairfax

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/4/2005 1:27:34 AM
Author: valeria101

Date: 3/3/2005 11:59:42 PM
Author: fountainfairfax
Hey! That''s one wonderful diamond you''ve got there
9.gif

Sure it will work just great with the X-prong. Just make sure you get the right size of that setting (ask which fits the diameter, not the weight of your stone).

Is GOG providing the setting ? If so... would you care to ask for an Ideal-Scope picture of this beauty
1.gif
Just curious - Jonathan stocks some awesome old mine cuts !
yes, I plan on using GOG for the setting...I''m going to go for all the "bells & whistles" they''ll let me pay for, even if they think such things are above my poor wabi-sabi!!! and you know I''ll be posting the results, good or bad!

njc

Brilliant_Rock
FF - that last picture is AWESOME! It makes it look very very white... and i agree with Blueroses, the picture in the snow shows no yellow either! White snow=nice and white, white paper=nice and white, white gold/platinum setting=spectacular! I totally agree that it being your Aunts should outweigh ANY specs... its looks fantastic! And i love the x-prong setting too... it was one of the first ones i fell in love with! And the new royal x-prong looks nice too, although i havent tried that on.

icekid

Ideal_Rock
ohhhh it''s beautiful FF!! and even more special that it belonged to someone who was very special to you. i have a pendant that used to belong to bf''s grandmother and i love it sooo much. it''s more special to me than i think my eventual e-ring will be!

Rockchick

Brilliant_Rock
It looks SO beautiful, ff!!
30.gif
30.gif

Patty

Ideal_Rock
It''s beautiful!

Morticia

Brilliant_Rock
Your stone is beautiful!! I love it!
30.gif

MelissaSue

Ideal_Rock
fountain - the new stone pics look fantastic! I wish I had taken a pic of my stone loose. I have one from my jeweler, but thats like mega-magnified, it''d have been neat to have just a normal pic like that. I was way too excited to just get the stone into FIs hands and have it set!!
How big IS that stone? It looks HUGE... and GORGEOUS!! I love it!

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
The stone is gorgeous!! I''ll take it hehehe
2.gif
!!

eks6426

Ideal_Rock
Your stone is really pretty. I think the stone has that antique-y look you love and the vatche setting will be the modern look your guy loves...so your ring will be a blend of both of you. Enjoy!

Buena Girl

Brilliant_Rock
fountainfairfax-

I feel exactly what you are saying!!! I inherited an OMC from my grandmother. It''s cut is superb and it flashes gorgeous rainbows, but I feel like I can see a little bit of color. I really need to get it appraised or something because I, too, am very curious as to what exactly it is that I''ve got. I have no idea if it has a carbon dot or any visible flaws. I had been afraid to know the answer (worried that I would obsess about it), so I haven''t inspected it very closely yet.

Currently, it is in a platinum setting. I think platinum would do a world of difference for your diamond. If mine were set in yg, I think I would obsess even more about the color. I think that I''ve become a little bit of a color snob since discovering pscope. Lately, I''m really trying to improve on that and enjoy the diamond and not obsess that it isn''t "pricescope perfect"
2.gif

The stone really is gorgeous
30.gif
, and I have a great sentimental attachment to it because it was a very romantic gift from my grandfather to my grandmother.

Anyway, all of this obsessing mostly took place in the last few months. Lately, I''ve really concentrated on seeing the best qualities in it when I look at it. And it has worked!! I have obsessed less, and realized how incredibly lucky I am to have a gorgeous, sentimental ring passed down to me by a loved one.

WOW, sorry this post is GIGANTIC!!! I just have one more tiny comment about settings...

My mom thinks I should have the stone reset. The current setting is lovely, but she feels the diamond could be "show-cased" better in a different setting. That''s fine with me. It actually works out nicely because she is going to keep the setting and put a gemstone in it. We will both be able to wear a part of this sentimental ring from my grandmother!!!

I am not very good at determining what is an antique setting. I fell in love with the Tacori Hummingbird setting. Is that considered modern or antique? Anyway, that is what I want the OMC to be set into.

So basically, my main point in this oh-so-very-long post is that you should get whatever setting you fall in love with, regardless of whether it is antique or modern or whatever. Your gorgeous diamond, which by the way looks amazing
18.gif
in the pictures you posted!, will look gorgeous in anything you put it in. I think it will look divine in vatche!

I feel like you just can''t please all of the people all of the time. No matter how perfect you try to make something, there is always someone who may criticize it. So the most important thing is to get the setting you love, have your gorgeous sentimental diamond set into it, and tell anyone who criticizes it to go rain on someone else''s parade!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results