shape
carat
color
clarity

My Jewel by Grace

Shoney

Rough_Rock
It's upgrade time! After spending literally hours reading about diamonds, looking at diamonds, and enjoying the serious bling on this wonderful site, I finally decided to plunge into the unknown. A few older threads about warmer diamonds caught my eye, and I found myself LOVING the older cuts and very warm colors, though I've never seen one IRL.
Well, that's about to change! Tomorrow this beaut should be shipping out to yours truly, and there are no words to express my excitement: http://jewelsbygrace.smugmug.com/Loose-Diamonds/201-and-larger/260ct-Transitional-Cut-Diamond/
Grace has been so so wonderful to work with, and if this gorgeous rock is anything like the pics and vids she's posted, I am going to be one satisfied customer!
In the meantime, I wait. And wait. For FedEx to arrive and take/post pics of my own...

GeorgieQ

Brilliant_Rock
It looks beautiful :love: congratulations!!!! I can't wait to see how you set it. :)

Rockinruby

Ideal_Rock
Gorgeous stone! :appl: :appl: :appl: How exciting! Congratulations! :clap:

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How exciting for you! Congrats with your beautiful stone.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow it looks beautiful!!! :love: So exciting, come back with pics!

Shoney

Rough_Rock
It's here!
First thought: ambivalence. I loved the pics and vid on the website, and I do really like the stone. I've never handled unset diamonds before, so not sure what I was expecting but it kind of felt plastic-y and very light.
That said, I LOVE LOVE LOVE the size, and the color is fun. More body color than I thought, but it doesn't bother me. There were some greenish tones, but perhaps just from the background, and it looks very different in different light which I think is AWESOME. Quite a change from my E-colored GIA! And though it's an SI1, there's only the slightest hint of a feather or something I can see near the girdle, and have to really look for it.
Had a heck of a time taking pics, so am posting lots of them and hoping one or two good ones can elicit some feedback.
Running this through the HCA, it came back as a "buy if the price is right," and as a transitional cut stone knew it wasn't going to meet the modern cut-offs for fire and brilliance. Also, the EGL report doesn't list it as a transitional cut. Is that to be expected?
There's something about this stone...I expected loud. It's quiet. It's soft. It's whispers and candlelight and I think will take some time to get to know.
Discovered the girdle is "extremely thin" which is a concern setting a stone of this size in a classic tapered 6 prong setting (heading towards a yellow gold Gavin home for this beauty).
So my three day decision making period has begun. Should I take it to a jeweler for any reason? Grace did include the EGL report, and I've read nothing but wonderful things about her, but is any kind of verification in order?
Eager for feedback!!!

Should add that in some of the pics I'm wearing my .38 GIA E VS2 engagement stone for comparison. Please excuse the chipped nails - gardener here! ;-)

img_20161018_100325.jpg

img_20161018_100326.jpg

img_20161018_100429.jpg

img_20161018_100448.jpg

Shoney

Rough_Rock
A few more pics...

Hope none of these are repeats. For some reason I didn't get much sleep last night knowing this was coming today!

img_20161018_100625.jpg

img_20161018_100648.jpg

img_20161018_100657.jpg

img_20161018_101401.jpg

Shoney

Rough_Rock
...and a couple more...

And the last two.
Hope I'm uploading these okay.

img_20161018_101431.jpg

img_20161018_101514.jpg

jaaron

Brilliant_Rock
I think it's really pretty. But it's sort of a question of how you like it?

I'm a recent convert to old cuts, and I was very surprised to realise how personal choosing an old cut is-- so much less about numbers and reports and so much more about how the wearer feels about it. I've also been surprised by how much I like the lower colours in old cuts. For me (and as I said, this is totally a person by person thing) in a colour that low, I might be more partial to an oec than a transitional. That said, if you wear it in all different lighting and like it, I'm sure you can make a stunning piece of jewellery with it.

I'll be looking forward to seeing the results of your decision!

apacherose

Brilliant_Rock
I'm thinking you might want to see a few more diamonds if this one elicited an ambivalent reaction from you.

Put it next to YG for a photo for us if that is how you intend to set. It might bring out or play up body color and tones so definitely see the affinity of this stone for it.

The diamond looks beautiful and 'as described' to me. I have an 'M' stone and I like the color but to my eye it goes to yellow tones. I'm not sure how I would enjoy with body color that went to green if that is what you are describing, so definitely look at this baby in all lightings and pay attention to how you 'feel' looking at it. The purpose is for you to enjoy admiring so if it does not give you the warm fuzzies then that is noteworthy. If you find it beautiful and captivating and you really love looking at it then there you go, a winner.

And it is big and beautiful but if you don't love it, don't get it! If you like diamonds you will find one you really, really like if you are patient!!!

Shoney

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the feedback.
I run pretty hot and cold, as they say, and expected to have an immediate reaction as to whether or not I'd want to keep it. So when that didn't happen it threw me off.
Anyway, think it's time to go play with it and put it next to some yellow gold.
I have to admit I am completely blown away by the size. Obviously it's a huge, huge upgrade! But in time I know if I'm not happy with the cut/sparkle, it's going to bug me.
Looking back through the pics believe the stone was pulling in some green from the surrounding environment.
You ladies are great. Really appreciate the help.
More pics soon!

Shoney

Rough_Rock
more pics

So we took her outside to play. It's overcast, hoping for sun tomorrow.
Am 90% sure am going to keep her. Yes, there is a very slight hint of grey/green in some lighting but to be fair my house has a lot of green! Less noticeable outside. Saw several fiery flashes that I just could not capture.
So here are a few more pics...

by_the_stained_glass.jpg

img_20161018_142144.jpg

in_good_company.jpg

lindy_outside.jpg

Q

Queenie60

Yellow gold would be beautiful with a warm diamond. I love old cuts and the colors they pick up

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congrats, can't wait to see how you set it!!!

Shoney

Rough_Rock
Queenie60: I have some thick gold earrings I put her next to yesterday, and it was gorgeous. Always have preferred yellow gold myself.
arkieb1: Thinking a thin tapered classic solitaire setting (Brian Gavin has one I've been eyeing), though that is subject to change.
My main concern about keeping it at this point is the extremely thin girdle. I want to be able to wear it most of the time. Taking it to my jeweler today to see if it's safe to set the way I want it; the other concern is the slightly olive green tone I see in some lighting. And it could totally just be me. My daughter sees it too, hubby doesn't.
The colors she reflects are beautiful, sometimes understated. In some lighting she looks incredibly creamy white face-up; lots of rainbowy pastels.
Eager to have it all done - stone decided on, set, and on my hand...feeling a little overwhelmed at the moment... :errrr:
The indecision part is the hardest, keep going back and forth. :wall:

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Shoney, as an objective reader, your lack of love for this stone is coming through loud and clear. You keep wondering about the negatives, and restating your hesitations and ambivalence. Usually when someone has found their stone, they can't stop gushing... I know that's how I felt! You have also mentioned you caught a few flashes of fire which gave me pause - just a few? My old stone, and many of the old stones we see here, have TONS of fire! I have seen enough good old cuts to know there are many that are NOT quiet in their personality. So if you *don't* want quiet, this one isn't the one for you!

It seems to me that you should let yourself off the hook and return it. I have always felt better in the long run by returning something with some hesitation, than keeping something with some hesitation. I know it can feel like a pain to return it and an aggravation to have to continue the search (not knowing when or if you'll find what you're really looking for). But you will! Your heart-stopping stone is out there, even in this size that you love!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I also picked up on what rainydaze is saying. I had pause when I saw you ordered this stone. The videos were not showing what
I wanted to see and the pictures were not doing it for me either (I know, this stone is not for me). I think if you didnt fall for
it when you first saw it then it may not be the right stone for you. It's a lot of money so make sure you get a beautiful stone
that does what you want...even if it is a little smaller.

kylier

Shiny_Rock
I have to add to the voices that say make sure it is LOVE. If not there will be a perfect stone for you that comes along. If it turns out that the initial hesitance was just matching expectations with reality then fine, but you really should feel at least very excited about it by the time you decide to keep it.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hate to pile on, but it sounds like you are rationalizing keeping it, and that's not coming across as what you were hoping for.

mco312

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I echo what some of the other posters are saying - if you're not sure, keep looking. This is the first older cut diamond you have seen! Take your time, and try to enjoy the process :bigsmile:

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It looks like a beautiful stone in the pics.
But you are clearly not loving it and rationalizing to keep it. The stone of your choice should blow you away.
I would return it. It's a disappointment but also a great lesson in learning what you love or do not love in a stone.

All the best in your search :wavey:

Shoney

Rough_Rock
returned

Just got back from returning the stone. And I must say, it was a relief. Realized that I WAS trying to rationalize keeping it; then I log on and see all these wonderful responses verifying what I'd felt from the moment I first saw it.
Thank you, all of you, so much!
The search continues...with a stronger sense that this is not just about all the numbers lining up. Maybe it's weird or cheesy but I want to have that heart-fluttery feeling, that awe and everything else I've read about on here when people find The One. It's almost like dating again! :lol:

Have a great evening everyone!

CravingDiamonds

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
This looks amazing! Love it!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am also relieved Shoney...we want all those things for you and
It just wasn't coming across in your post. That's the nice thing about Pricescope. You get to learn from the collective experience of everyone else. There have been many people on PS that have kept stones or rings that they thought they could fall in love with but later had regret.

The right stone for you is out there...the one that makes you gasp when you first see it and makes it hard to wipe the smile off your face. You will find it. Just give it time.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Keep us posted!

Shoney

Rough_Rock
whitewave...funny you should ask. ;-) We're expecting Option#2 to arrive no later than Nov 1st. Realized that an online search for the perfect OEC or transitional cut is something I don't want to spend time on at present, and I prefer the MRB for an engagement upgrade stone, so we're headed in that direction.

Specs on Option #2:
2.00 carat GIA graded M color VVS2
8.05-8.06 x 5.00 mm
Excellent Cut and Polish, Very Good Symmetry, no Fluor.
Table: 55%
Depth: 62.1
Crown Angle: 34.5
Pavilion Angle: 40.8

Good HCA score, so figured we'd give this one a shot. Plus, return shipping is free and the return/exchange policy is good so no worries there.
Trying not to get too excited or expect too much, but I am a growing bundle of nerves!
Continuing to think about settings, want something pretty simple - thin/med-thin 18k gold band. The question for me is the basket and prongs. We're looking at 6 prongs, and am hoping the ones I've seen can be filed down a bit so as not to distract or create a bumpy profile. Considered the double prongs, but wonder if they look best with older cut stones.
Also torn between 18k gold or white gold/platinum prongs...not sure what they'll look like with a warmer stone.

Stay tuned...

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am glad you returned the first stone since you clearly didn't love it. Some people see or order several before they find "the one".

I am sorry to be a little negative, but I wouldn't go below J (maybe K) color in a modern round brilliant. Low colors work better in antique cut stones, I think, because they kind of work with an ivory to light yellow color and the larger facets. With modern rounds, I think near colorless to colorless is more desirable, although you may be able to manage with an 18k gold setting. I generally always prefer white metal prongs even on an 18k gold ring, but I am not sure about that with an M color round brilliant.

Shoney

Rough_Rock
Thanks for your input DamondSeeker. I don't view your comment negatively at all.
On close inspection the 2.6 transitional was very much like a modern cut, so that got me curious, as the body color didn't bother me. The exact shade of that particular stone though wasn't for me.
I've seen several videos of MRBs in warmer colors, and the variety even within the same color letter has been surprising. Some seem to face up rather pleasing shades of white. Hoping this new one does IRL. A few more days to go...

Sunfish

Shiny_Rock
Shoney I was waiting to comment to see how this played out, but I, too had ordered this stone a few months ago and sent it back. I wanted to love it. Tried to talk myself into it. In some lights it looked buttery yellow, indoors it was okay, but I couldn't get it to perform the way I wanted to (no matter how much I talked to it, gave it pointers on how I wanted it to sparkle like it did in Grace's photos, walked around the back yard with my hand in the air hoping it would catch the right light and sell me :lol: :lol: ) But at the end of the day I sent it back because I was exactly as you were: ambivalent. I suspect if it were to go to GIA that it would be closer to a UV color, maybe lower.
I think I actually have a picture of it next to an O-P OEC somewhere around here if you want to see a comparison you can message me through LoupeTroop. I like mid to lower color OEC's but you have to learn what your color tolerance is. Look at tons of diamonds before you decide! That's the fun part.

Shoney

Rough_Rock
Sunfish -thank you!! I've had a couple moments of doubting the decision - fleeting seconds really - and then I go back to look at pics and know 100% I made the right call.
Would love to compare notes! This is the warmest diamond I'd ever seen IRL, and thought maybe it was somewhat comparable to a GIA Q-R, but of course no experience to base that on. Makes me most curious to see how the GIA graded M will compare.
Signed up for Loupe Troupe, not sure how to find you on there so feel free to message me!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results