shape
carat
color
clarity

My favorite digicam photos

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here''s some more.

Barry''s Malaya in the setting sun. I love the color of this stone when the sun sets.

TLdigicam17.JPG

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/20/2009 9:23:24 AM
Author: tourmaline_lover

Date: 5/20/2009 9:12:43 AM
Author: cellentani
Fabulous pics, TL!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
I''ve been dying to see some of your collection with your new camera. You are very affectionately known to my DH and I as ''the PSer with the amazing gems but blurry pics'', but I can see that''s gonna change. Have fun with the camera, and please, please take more pics - I know you have lots more gorgeous gems.
That''s hillarious. Thanks Cellentani!! I have to get some loose stone shots one of these days.
TL, I have to tell you this. Tonight I was sitting on the couch with DH, showing him your new pics, and he starts squinting at the needle inclusions. So I start to explain that what you liked most about this stone was the color, and my 6-year-old (who is sitting on my other side) pipes up, "even more than the cut?" Maybe I''m spending too much time here... Nonetheless, we all enjoyed the pics, and my daughter made me scroll up and down several times.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yet another included cuprian in direct sun

TLdigicam19.JPG

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A recent ebay find. A 1.9 carat cuprian, not as neon, but very minty blue green. It's eye clean, but again, you can see the needles. That white thing on the corner of the stone is fuzz.

TLdigicam16.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/20/2009 8:39:36 PM

Fabulous pics, TL!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
I''ve been dying to see some of your collection with your new camera. You are very affectionately known to my DH and I as ''the PSer with the amazing gems but blurry pics'', but I can see that''s gonna change. Have fun with the camera, and please, please take more pics - I know you have lots more gorgeous gems.
That''s hillarious. Thanks Cellentani!! I have to get some loose stone shots one of these days.
TL, I have to tell you this. Tonight I was sitting on the couch with DH, showing him your new pics, and he starts squinting at the needle inclusions. So I start to explain that what you liked most about this stone was the color, and my 6-year-old (who is sitting on my other side) pipes up, ''even more than the cut?'' Maybe I''m spending too much time here... Nonetheless, we all enjoyed the pics, and my daughter made me scroll up and down several times.
Cellentani,
I see you''re raising him to get ready for a wife!! hahahaha - that''s hilarious. Thanks again for the kind words.

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/20/2009 8:39:36 PM

Fabulous pics, TL!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
TL, I have to tell you this. Tonight I was sitting on the couch with DH, showing him your new pics, and he starts squinting at the needle inclusions. So I start to explain that what you liked most about this stone was the color, and my 6-year-old (who is sitting on my other side) pipes up, ''even more than the cut?'' Maybe I''m spending too much time here... Nonetheless, we all enjoyed the pics, and my daughter made me scroll up and down several times.
OMG...... love it!! Train him young, cellentani!
9.gif
9.gif

t_l- love your photos, as always. Your cuprians are so in your face.. in a fabulous way
18.gif

brandy_z28

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/20/2009 7:01:06 PM

Date: 5/20/2009 6:34:03 PM
Author: PrecisionGem
TL, what model Nikon coolpic is that? I may be in the market for a new point and shoot compact camera. I''m debating taking my big Nikon SLR and a few lenses with me to Africa next month, or getting something small to take.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001PK6C7Y/ref=ox_ya_oh_product
Heck to the yeah! Great pictures from a camera that''s priced low enough to leave room in the budget for gemstones!!!!!!!!!!!
36.gif
Thanks for sharing that bit of info.
2.gif

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/20/2009 9:16:04 PM
Author: brandy_z28

Heck to the yeah! Great pictures from a camera that''s priced low enough to leave room in the budget for gemstones!!!!!!!!!!!
36.gif
Thanks for sharing that bit of info.
2.gif
That''s probably the best thing about this thread.
9.gif

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/20/2009 8:50:15 PM
Author: icekid

t_l- love your photos, as always. Your cuprians are so in your face.. in a fabulous way
18.gif
Thanks icekid. I really like super close ups of gems, getting all that color and detail in your face.

mochi

Ideal_Rock
Oh TL!! I''m just so happy you got new camera!! Now we''ll finally get to see your collection.
36.gif
36.gif
I use a Nicon Coolpix also and they are just so fun!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Colormyworld once said in a thread on PS that he thought mandarin spessartites reminded him of citrus listerine. I had some in the house, so I took this blurry pic. The blurrier pics bring out the truer color for some reason. I think the citrus listerine is a bit too yellow, but I can see what he was talking about.

TLlisterine.JPG

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/20/2009 9:35:15 PM
Author: mochi
Oh TL!! I''m just so happy you got new camera!! Now we''ll finally get to see your collection.
36.gif
36.gif
I use a Nicon Coolpix also and they are just so fun!
Mochi,
I got one because you mentioned you had one, and I adore your gemstone pictures. They look like they come from a much more expensive camera.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the color is closer to the Horton Hears a Who DVD case - well that''s the one bright orange thing, other than the Listerine, I could find lying around.

HortonHearsAWho.JPG

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Two garnets, same sunset.

TLdigicam21.JPG

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/20/2009 8:39:41 PM
Yet another included cuprian in direct sun
I like this one despite the brown inclusion and small window because it looks radioactive.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The 2 garnets look so much better in the sunset picture. And the listerine has NOTHING on the spess.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/20/2009 12:16:25 PM
Author: Chrono

Date: 5/20/2009 11:12:10 AM
Author: Stone Hunter
Great pictures TFS! And thank you for telling us what mode you were shooting in. Did you have enough light that the flash didn''t go off? I''m asking cause I think the flash distorts color a bit and it''s reflection keeps us from seeing the facet pattern a bit in MY shots. Don''t see that problem in yours. Course we haven''t had any sun here for 3 days so my camera won''t shoot w/o the flash right now.
8.gif
SH,
You can turn the flash off. I think all cameras have that option.
Yes but when I do that it shuts off "auto focus" and always says I have a blurry photo even when the camera is sitting on the counter when I push the button, and the photos are fuzzy.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/20/2009 6:51:19 PM
Brandy and Lovinggems - Thank you!! I will try to take more pics of my loose gems. I have some other rings I purchased early on in my gemstone collecting career, but they''re not worthy of posting on PS
14.gif
Are you sure? I''d actually like to see them.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/20/2009 11:09:10 PM

Yes but when I do that it shuts off ''auto focus'' and always says I have a blurry photo even when the camera is sitting on the counter when I push the button, and the photos are fuzzy.
That''s strange...my auto focus stays on.
33.gif

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Chrono,
The garnet is still not true to color (where is that yellow ocre color coming from???), but at least this picture is nice and clear, and shows the blue sparkles and the facet pattern better. I tried taking pictures of my loose gems, but for some reason, the image stabilization doesn't work as well when I'm trying to focus on loose stones. I still have to play with that.

TLdigicam22.JPG

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/20/2009 11:12:32 PM

Date: 5/20/2009 6:51:19 PM
Brandy and Lovinggems - Thank you!! I will try to take more pics of my loose gems. I have some other rings I purchased early on in my gemstone collecting career, but they''re not worthy of posting on PS
14.gif
Are you sure? I''d actually like to see them.
Well if you like dark extinct stones with strong grey and brown secondary hues.
14.gif
I''m eventually going to take these stones out of the mounts and reuse them.

bling addict

Brilliant_Rock
Beautiful collection and great photos TL, I especially love the look of the round Pink on your first page, and BB Malaya --- that one''s gorgeous! Glad you got a new camera so you could share the new pics!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Bling Addict! I'm having so much fun with my new camera.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I didn''t give up on this stone yet, and this is by far, the most true to life picture of the color. It''s just a bit more saturated green than this.

TLdigicam24.JPG

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ehh, what happened?? Here''s the full pic.

TLdigicam26.JPG

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Zambian Amethyst in sunlight.

TLdigicam23.JPG

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
1.gif

TLdigicam27.JPG

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hahahahaha, TL - love the Listerine pic!!!!

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/20/2009 10:59:47 PM
Gorgeous!

TL, I have an Olympus point and shoot. Baby Gailey (who will be 26 on Sunday and knows better) dropped it and now only half the screen at the back works. So, I''m in the market for a new camera. One of the things I didn''t like with the Olympus (and looks to be the same on your new Nikon) is that there is no view finder. Not a problem unless you are outside and trying to take pictures in sunshine, then I can''t see a thing! Do you have that problem?

I also have a Nikon 5700 coolpix DSLR. Now I''ve never tried to play with all the settings, but I''ve never managed to get it to auto focus indoors, macro setting or not. I don''t know whether or not it''s broken, or I''m just deficient. By the look of it, not a problem you''ve encountered.

I think, when I buy a new camera I am going to have to get one with a viewfinder, as well as one that I can attach a shutter release cable to. When my little Olympus was working and I was trying to get macro shots of my stones, my hands would shake too much, even with the tripod.

What made you decide on the model that you bought?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/21/2009 9:47:53 AM
Author: Gailey

Date: 5/20/2009 10:59:47 PM
Gorgeous!

TL, I have an Olympus point and shoot. Baby Gailey (who will be 26 on Sunday and knows better) dropped it and now only half the screen at the back works. So, I'm in the market for a new camera. One of the things I didn't like with the Olympus (and looks to be the same on your new Nikon) is that there is no view finder. Not a problem unless you are outside and trying to take pictures in sunshine, then I can't see a thing! Do you have that problem?

I also have a Nikon 5700 coolpix DSLR. Now I've never tried to play with all the settings, but I've never managed to get it to auto focus indoors, macro setting or not. I don't know whether or not it's broken, or I'm just deficient. By the look of it, not a problem you've encountered.

I think, when I buy a new camera I am going to have to get one with a viewfinder, as well as one that I can attach a shutter release cable to. When my little Olympus was working and I was trying to get macro shots of my stones, my hands would shake too much, even with the tripod.

What made you decide on the model that you bought?

I'm too stupid to use a camera with all the fancy gadgets on it. To tell you the truth, I bought this model for four reasons.

1) Mochi has it and her pics are TDF.
2) It's cheap
3) The ratings I've read indicate that it takes awesome macro photos.
4) It's easy to use (point and shoot)

I'm still having problems focusing on loose gems in my gem boxes, and I'm still too chicken to take them out of the boxes and photograph them. It's much easier to get a true representation of color and focus if they're in a ring or other piece of jewelry. I'm working on it though.
2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results