shape
carat
color
clarity

My earring dreams have come true! Studs or drops?

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Hi friends!
I'm TOTALLY ESCATIC. I bought a 1.22 carat/7.2mm G, I2 OEC from Adam at Old World Diamonds a few months ago. I wanted big and blingy; I was on the lookout for a mate but I wasn't expecting to find one so soon. Last night, I found the perfect match for it at Love Affair Diamonds--http://www.loveaffairdiamonds.com/on-hold-1-46ct-old-european-cut-diamond-gia-fancy-light-gray-i2/, a 1.46 carat/7.2mm fancy light gray, I2 OEC. I can't believe it! I'm so excited, and it is just what I wanted--a blingy odd-couple pair of studs without spending a ton of $$$. The tiniest doubt is bugging me though--is this too big for everyday?

Now, should I put these in studs, or drops?
--If studs, are these too big for martini's?
--If drops, leverback or shepard's hook? Stationary or dangle? I have a pair of smaller .3 carat OEC's that I could use for a two-diamond drop earring as well.

Right now, I'm leaning heavily toward a single stationary drop like the second photo. I've scoured PS for diamond drop threads and have read that stationary drops can tilt forward, but that it can be remedied with a plastic back (though that sounds like a bit of a pain). If you have fave earring settings, please send them my way!

3499166.jpeg

5373W18-2.jpg

Attachments

• 3-38-carat-european-cut-diamond-drop-earrings_1_20-1-10086.jpg
    3-38-carat-european-cut-diamond-drop-earrings_1_20-1-10086.jpg
    4 KB · Views: 20
  • Vintage_Old_European_Cut_Diamond_White_Gold_Lever_Back_Drop_Earrings_1_60Ct_04_hr.jpg
    Vintage_Old_European_Cut_Diamond_White_Gold_Lever_Back_Drop_Earrings_1_60Ct_04_hr.jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 33

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My vote is for drops and have them articulate too. A little movement is sassy and sexy and sophisticated and personally I love the feel of the earrings when they move a bit. I like both the double and single drop examples you shared but if you want simple go for the single drop with articulation and have the drop fall *just* below the earlobe for the (IMO) most aesthetically pleasing look. Very excited for you and cannot wait to see what your earrings look like.:appl:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here's an example of one of my favorite and very wearable drops. Double bezel drops and you can see where it falls just below the earlobe.

graceearrings.jpg

and the round plastic back is super easy to use. I don't have to use them except on my larger earrings to keep them centered. Here's a photo. I don't use these on any of my dangles...just use them for studs.

earringbacks.jpg

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
whynotboth.png

I think you should get studs, then get some drops for the studs. Best of both worlds :mrgreen2:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My only concern would be the weight of the earrings if you do studs with convertible attachments...I don't know how you do with heavier earrings but personally my max is 2 grams per ear for best comfort though I can tolerate up to 2.5 grams per ear. So just keep that in mind and try on earrings at jewelry stores and see up to what weight you feel comfortable with and can wear on a regular basis.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
If you already have a pair of studs I would vote for drops on a leverback that are not joined together so the diamonds are free to move..I have a pair of diamond halo drops with leverbacks and I wear them a lot! I’m not suggesting you halo them..I think that just by themselves will be beautiful. I don’t think they will be too big at all..Mine are very comfortable and catch the light when they move. The carat weight including the halo are around 1.65..If I remember correctly the center stones are .75 each and .15 divided between the two in the little diamond halos...so not as big as yours would be...but I think if you keep the setting simple and light they will be gorgeous! Please post a pic when you set them in whatever you decide to do.
I take horrible photos..They sparkle way more than this but at least you get the idea..
211B43FF-9080-43C5-B5B5-CFB962034468.jpeg

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
My vote is for drops and have them articulate too. A little movement is sassy and sexy and sophisticated and personally I love the feel of the earrings when they move a bit. I like both the double and single drop examples you shared but if you want simple go for the single drop with articulation and have the drop fall *just* below the earlobe for the (IMO) most aesthetically pleasing look. Very excited for you and cannot wait to see what your earrings look like.:appl:
Hi Missy, I was hoping you'd reply! I saw a number of your gorgeous dangles in a different thread and it was such a helpful reference!! I was wondering too about the length of the drop and where it should land. I agree, just below the earlobe is beautiful. Thank you for your photos!

Do you ever find that your hair gets caught in the dangles? My hair can get caught in long dangles (think 3 inches, dbty style) but do find it is a problem for a shorter dangle?

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
350aed07a60e3c71751e7cfeac24e5b7.jpg
whynotboth.png

I think you should get studs, then get some drops for the studs. Best of both worlds :mrgreen2:

HAHAHAHHA I love it!! I actually did consider a big SS or Tahitian pearl drop for statement earrings. How darling would that be? The only thing holding me back was 1) weight and 2) the fear of 'too much for every day'. I'm a little extra in my personality so I usually never fear being 'too much' (because I know I am! haha), but I usually do dainty dainty jewels--think 5mm colored stone rings and tiny little halo'd studs or single studs, that I'm still a little timid here. Detachable drops are a great idea, you're throwing me for a loop since you have me dreaming about those Lorraine Schwartz/Angelina Jolie emerald earrings that have a stud+pear dangle to them. They're much much bigger than what I will have, but they're just so insanely stunning. I wonder if I could get an elongated drop that would better suit my diamond size.

Last edited:

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
If you already have a pair of studs I would vote for drops on a leverback that are not joined together so the diamonds are free to move..I have a pair of diamond halo drops with leverbacks and I wear them a lot! I’m not suggesting you halo them..I think that just by themselves will be beautiful. I don’t think they will be too big at all..Mine are very comfortable and catch the light when they move. The carat weight including the halo are around 1.65..If I remember correctly the center stones are .75 each and .15 divided between the two in the little diamond halos...so not as big as yours would be...but I think if you keep the setting simple and light they will be gorgeous! Please post a pic when you set them in whatever you decide to do.
I take horrible photos..They sparkle way more than this but at least you get the idea..

Mamabean, those are just gorgeous!! I love the halo! My diamonds are not particularly well cut (I was going for size above all, very un-PS hehe), so I was wondering if I should get a halo for a little sparkle mirage .

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Missy, I was hoping you'd reply! I saw a number of your gorgeous dangles in a different thread and it was such a helpful reference!! I was wondering too about the length of the drop and where it should land. I agree, just below the earlobe is beautiful. Thank you for your photos!

Do you ever find that your hair gets caught in the dangles? My hair can get caught in long dangles (think 3 inches, dbty style) but do find it is a problem for a shorter dangle?

I do not find it a problem but my dangles are generally 1 inch or less. The longer dangles probably would be more likely to get caught in my hair. Though a solution for that is to just wear your hair back and/or up when you want to wear longer dangles if that becomes an issue. But with shorter dangles it is easy peasy wearing with hair down.

Found a pic of my looooong dangles ( these were a gift...3 inches or so...super long lol...) and this is how I wear my hair when wearing these. Otherwise they would get caught in the hair. I rarely wear these however and prefer shorter dangles. Much more practical and easy going for casual and dressy alike.

rubylongdangles.jpg

@Indylady I am excited for you and cannot wait to see whatever gorgeous earrings you decide upon. Just love dangles and they will look amazing on you no matter what you decide to do.:appl:

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Love these!!

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You're getting great advice and suggestions here @Indylady!! I definitely don't think the size will be too much for daily wear and think you have lots of beautiful setting choices to choose from!

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Missy, your long dangles are GORGEOUS!! I love those. You make a great point--the dangles that get caught in my hair are way longer than what I'm considering here.

I've been thinking of a two diamond look as well--how do you think these look? I think its still very classic (and the bonus is that I get to use two loose diamonds that I already have!) while adding some interest.
Viera-Diamond-Two-Stone-Stud-Earrings-Diamond-Two-Stone-Womens-Stud-Earrings-ctw-K-White-Gold.jpg

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Honestly? It looks like the little diamonds are heads, the big diamonds are rotund bodies, and the prongs are sad T-rex arms and legs.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Honestly? It looks like the little diamonds are heads, the big diamonds are rotund bodies, and the prongs are sad T-rex arms and legs.
:lol:

elizat

Ideal_Rock
I like the articulated drop idea as well. I think that's a really pretty idea. I don't love the setting with the static smaller stone because of the prongs. I do like these both though as ideas.

images (1).jpg images.jpg

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Because of how large the diameters of your stones are I would go with drops. BUT that really depends on earlobe size. Perhaps your earlobes are large enough to handle the size.

Both studs and drops can be worn daily. I prefer the drops with movement.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I ditto the drops, either french wire or leverbacks, but with movement. I have cz leverback drop earrings with movement and I wear them alot.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would opt for movable drops so that they shimmer as you move.

How about teaming them with small huggies, and make them into interchangeable drops, and get more drops at a later date?

Here are my huggies with interchangeable drops. The lavender pearl ones I wire-wrapped myself and have other drops in white and Tahitian pearls.
I had the paved diamond drops made so that I could wear a pearl necklace or pendant around my neck with them as I do not like to wear dangling pearl drops with a pearl necklace or pendant together.

647788 589576

Just throwing some ideas into the pot.

DK :))

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I seem to be against the tide here, but I’d go for studs. I find as I get older that my piercings have stretched a little and any wire mounted dangles don’t look that pretty. My studs still look fab and I’m sure I’ll be wearing them when I’m 80!

AV_

Ideal_Rock
One vote for the first setting with small diamonds above & wide-ish platinum bezels on the large stones. I might slightly prefer these very short wires - the small diamonds look as if they'd sit on the edge of the lobe, although this means giving up on moving drops (the leverback is anchored on the large diamond to keep the wire short, so they cannot move.)

-

Digressing,

The gray is such a find! It looks brilliant, so I assumd the clarity grade is due to feathers not clouds, and this is not at all usual. This is a stone to remember.

Of course I am wishing to see this pair!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results