shape
carat
color
clarity

my dog who is my avatar died last night

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My dog died last night!!! :cry::( He literally just dropped dead. We are at my second home and we took the bulldogs. This is him sleeping on the way in:
IMG_0712.JPG
IMG_0713.JPG

He had a great weekend! I gave them a sardine breakfast then 3 hours later we drove to the other house. He had fish burps the whole way, so it was disgustingly hilarious that the car would smell like fish and we would have to open the windows. (Bulldogs are stinky, fatty, burpy messes)

Last night we told him again what a good boy he was, he ate his kibble, stood by the door to go outside and then apparently died while walking to the back of the yard.

So I let him out and then ten minutes later, the other bully came in and he didn't. He was lying in an odd spot facing an odd way so I made DH go check on him. Gabe always looked dead when lying in the grass.

He was clearly gone when DH got there. DH tried a few chest compressions just to see, but no, our boy had passed quietly and unexpectedly.

We are so very bummed out. He was a rescue and we only had him since April 2016. We think he was about 8. He had bad heart worms when we got him, but he was heartworm negative as of two weeks ago.

Damn, he was such a cool dog. I am going to miss him.

Puppmom

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Whitewave, how awful! But I'm glad your buddy had such a great last day on this earth.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Whitewave, I'm so sorry. You and your husband must be in shock. My first thought after reading your post was you gave him a wonderful life this past year. Please try to take comfort in the fact that he was loved and had a wonderful life with you. Hugs. I'm so sorry.

Q

Queenie60

Whitewave. I am so sorry to hear about the loss of your beloved dog. You gave him a good life during his remaining years. Take care. You're in my prayers and so is your dog - wishing him a good transition to dog heaven.

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh no, I'm so sorry! Gabe is over the rainbow bridge. Even though your heart is heavy with his loss, his was full of love and gratitude for the life you gave him.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My condolences to you both. He looks very well loved.

P

PierreBear

Oh my goodness.... so sorry to hear about your lost!

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
so sorry to hear that!
Thoughts and prayers outgoing

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am so sorry. He was loved for his last days and well cared for but it is still so hard. HUGS.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh WW, I am so sorry. This has to be difficult...he looks like such a sweet boy. Is he pure-breed (he looks like it). Know that you gave him a good loving
home for his end of life. Again, my condolences. :cry:

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm so sorry for your loss whitewave. You gave him a wonderful life and a joyful last day!

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh @whitewave, I'm so very sorry, poor Gabe, I hope his passing was peaceful.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks, everyone. We just dropped him off at the pet funeral home here. It was a nice facility and we were able to bring Margaery (our girl bully) with us-- she was a big hit there.

We have had 3 dogs die in 1.5 years; we put our big boy (108 pound American bulldog mix) down in April because he had jawbone cancer. The other was a 15 year old black hound we rescued when he was 4. Now Gabe.

Gabe was so super cool: grateful for anything, loved our house, was no trouble at all, hated getting his eyes wiped-- he would squint them close lol. He gave high 5s too.

Yes, he was full blooded English bulldog but he had all the "don'ts" when looking for one. Still, he was relatively healthy and definitely a survivor.

We are so happy to have had him in our lives for 14 months. 14 years would not have been long enough with Gabe. We would have always wanted more time with him.

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh this is awful! Lots of hugs to you & take comfort in firstly the fact that you gave him such a loving home (still chuckling about the fish burps!) but also the fact that he didn't seem to suffer in any way at all x

autumngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am so sorry Whitewave, I know your pain today

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh this is awful! Lots of hugs to you & take comfort in firstly the fact that you gave him such a loving home (still chuckling about the fish burps!) but also the fact that he didn't seem to suffer in any way at all x

This is what I am grateful for. He just finished his meal and was going outside and just died. He looked like he was sleeping-- tongue out and all. He had no idea it was happening. He looked peaceful.

FeFeV

Shiny_Rock
My dog died last night!!! :cry::( He literally just dropped dead. We are at my second home and we took the bulldogs. This is him sleeping on the way in:
IMG_0712.JPG
IMG_0713.JPG

He had a great weekend! I gave them a sardine breakfast then 3 hours later we drove to the other house. He had fish burps the whole way, so it was disgustingly hilarious that the car would smell like fish and we would have to open the windows. (Bulldogs are stinky, fatty, burpy messes)

Last night we told him again what a good boy he was, he ate his kibble, stood by the door to go outside and then apparently died while walking to the back of the yard.

So I let him out and then ten minutes later, the other bully came in and he didn't. He was lying in an odd spot facing an odd way so I made DH go check on him. Gabe always looked dead when lying in the grass.

He was clearly gone when DH got there. DH tried a few chest compressions just to see, but no, our boy had passed quietly and unexpectedly.

We are so very bummed out. He was a rescue and we only had him since April 2016. We think he was about 8. He had bad heart worms when we got him, but he was heartworm negative as of two weeks ago.

Damn, he was such a cool dog. I am going to miss him.
I've teared up so badly reading this. I'm so sorry for your loss, your boy was so clearly loved. I fear this ending for my own 11 year old Cockapoo. He's our (mine + DH) life and best friend. I send you ease and peace through your grieving.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am so sorry Whitewave, I know your pain today

My 15 year old boy who died last year was a black pointer-- excellent dog. One of our best. I know how you feel losing such a special dog.

ihy138

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I'm so, so sorry for your loss. It sounds like you gave him a wonderful life right up until the very end and I'm sure he knew that.

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Aww, I'm so sorry for your loss! We used to have bulldogs and they are such a sweet breed. He looked so happy and you were obviously a perfect family for his final year. Take peace in that if you can, that you made his final days happy! ((Hugs))

katharath

Ideal_Rock
Oh he sounds like such a sweetheart, I'm sorry - what a shock it must have been. (I think he was really adorable too, I love bulldogs).

KaeKae

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm so sorry to see this. I'm sending you hugs.
I've loved looking at Gabe's adorable picture in your posts.
And, your story of Gabe's last day tells us just how wonderful his life has been with you these past 14 months. Stinky fish burps and all. I'm sure he's now telling the story of his wonderful earth family to all the other doggies over the rainbow bridge. And, there, he can eat all the sardines he wants without anyone having to open the car windows!

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hugs to you and condolences on your loss. I wish all of our fur babes exited this world as Gabe did -- with a full tummy and no apparent pain or discomfort. High Five to Gabe for his classy (and gassy) exit.:love:

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm so sorry. Though we always wish we had more time, he looked SO happy, and he passed quickly without pain, knowing he was loved.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, I'm so sorry. How shocking. I think he had a great life with you.

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Im sorry for your loss. It sounds like he was a great dog and was clearly loved. I'm glad that his passing was gentle and it doesn't sound like he suffered. I know it's hard because you didn't get to say goodbye. I'm sure, if you had known, you'd have wanted to give him extra hugs and kisses. Isn't that how we all feel.

I'm in no way trying to make light of the situation but this is pretty much what I pray for, with my dogs. I'd like it to happen while there sleeping or just have it be a really easy passing. I've lost 2 cats to cancer over the last two years. I wish that on no one (pets or owners).

My babies are getting to an age where I just check once in a while to make sure they're still breathing. :shifty:

On a different note, I have a pug that likes to sleep with his head up like that too. Dogs. They're a bunch of adorable weirdos.

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm sorry too. Gabe was clearly loved. We should all be so lucky to have such love in our lives and happiness in our final moments as Gabe.

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am so sorry. Prayers for you!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh crap. Just so sad when they leave us. But what a way to go - I wouldn't mind suddenly stepping off this mortal coil when I was walking across my yard. Still, its hard not to have your heart ache. How is Margaery taking it? Is she acting any differently?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results