shape
carat
color
clarity

my dog who is my avatar died last night

BlingDreams

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm so sorry for your loss. Fur babies touch our hearts so deeply.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So sad!
Sounds like he had a great life with you.

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am so very sorry for your loss, I always loved seeing Gabe, one of my fave PS pooches! You clearly loved him and gave him a FABULOUS life in every single way and bless you and your family for taking him on. I hope you don't mind if I say this---he had the best possible exit: Great food, lots of fun going on, his pack all around him, happy in his yard.

Love and hugs to you and your pack.

kmarla

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I'm so very sorry. You clearly gave him a wonderful life and it's so hard when they leave us.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
What a terrible shock WW....sending thoughts and prayers....he was such a cute guy.....bless you for rescuing him and showing him such love.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh crap. Just so sad when they leave us. But what a way to go - I wouldn't mind suddenly stepping off this mortal coil when I was walking across my yard. Still, its hard not to have your heart ache. How is Margaery taking it? Is she acting any differently?

Bulldogs in general DGAF (don't give a F) about anything but themselves. When the big dog died 2 months ago she didn't seem to notice a thing.

She does seem to be a bit freaked out today.

I've been networking all morning on trying to find an English Bulldog who needs to be rehomed. I have a few leads I am working on. I learned a few years ago that I need to go straight into another dog-- already we are missing the presence of a second bulldog.

So I have feelers out and hopefully the right dog will come to me

Thanks again, everyone. It helps to tell the story.

PattyCo

Brilliant_Rock
I am so sorry for the death of your fur baby. It sounds like he had the best day of his life, one full of happiness.

pet-condolences-326x406.jpg

metro

Brilliant_Rock
I'm so sorry for the loss of your beloved Gabe. Such a sweet face. I've always had a special place in my heart for bulldogs. Take solace in that he passed peacefully, feeling happy and loved. HUGS TO YOU

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I'm so very sorry. The loss of a beloved pet is always awful, much more so when it is so unexpected! Sending hugs and prayers your way....

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm so sorry for your loss - what a great way to go though, no pain or fear and after a great day!

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am very sorry, whitewave. Everyone has said what I would have wanted to say, so I can only reiterate. I feel your loss. He deserved so much more. Yet he had the best death in the world (which I always say about our yellow Lab whom we had euthanized without his being aware of it). Being full of treats, feeling loved, and going without pain is surely the best way to go. I am so sorry you lost such a loving friend.

Hugs,
(((whitewave)))
Deb

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am so sorry to hear this. Sounds like he had a great life with you! It is so hard to lose these furbabies -- peace to you and yours.

Platinum-blonde

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I'm terribly sorry for your loss. 14 months seems incredibly short, but I'm sure he enjoyed every minute of those 14 months he spent with you.

There's nothing wrong with needing to get another dog right away. Everyone grieves differently. I hope that you are able to find the perfect rescue dog soon.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Whitewave, I'm so sorry about Gabe. You gave him so much love. He does look exceedingly happy and satisfied. I am sending you a big hug and best wishes in finding another boy or girl that needs a safe and loving home. Bless you for having such a big generous heart.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm so sorry whitewave. Glad he had your wonderful family to love and take care of him and give him the best possible life. (((HUGS))).

Curby311

Rough_Rock
I'm so sorry for your loss. My condolences to your family and his fur-buddy. Glad he had a happy home during his life.

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Our fur kids are such wonderful beings.. I am so so sorry your bulldog died. I send you hugs and you are part of group of people who love love animals and do right by them.. Sending my most sincere condolences. May your dog always be with you and waiting for you someday. Peace.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Whitewave, I sending dust to help you find another sweet furbaby. What a wonderful way to honor Gabe by sharing your home with another furbaby that needs a loving home.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
oh WW I am so incredibly sorry. Sending hugs!

derbygal

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm thinking of you and Gabe today. So sorry you didn't have a longer time together.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, doggy dust needed to facilitate the search for a new companion for Margaery, who is currently trying to prevent me from typing because she wants all of my attention. (Yes, I am a bum today and am wearing a thin image.jpg
Cotton nightgown! It's hot outside, and I am inside networking, working phones and email trying to find the right dog for us.

So far, I have two good leads. (You all know I am missing Gabe so much, but I have tried to frame this as: because of his unexpected passing, maybe we will find the next dog meant to be with us and all of that hokey magical universe dust kind of thing...)

We are looking for a boy. The biggest issue with english bulldogs is that they can be wrought with health problems (as Gabe was), so our first choice is to find a healthy one. So basically, I am working off of a two tier system: tier one is the well-bred but can't be shown dogs and tier two is bulldog rescue. Bulldog rescue is harder to deal with than you would think. Sometimes, I think their dogs aren't really up for adoption as they have families to adopt, but are used for fundraising. I don't necessarily have a problem with this, as all rescues need money. I'm just explaining my point of view experience when calling around about these dogs. With Gabe, our friend started the rescue and she simply told me she had a bulldog she was placing with me and I said "ok". Lol. She is also working her connections to find me a rescue bulldog.

Margaery will be 2 in August,

Dog #1 is 18 months old. He was bred as a show dog but is too small and his marking aren't great. He is owned by a bulldog vet/breeder so he is super healthy with no breathing or eye or leg issues that some bulldogs have. He sent me a video today and this boy is fantastic looking. The owner is super busy and hasn't replied yet to my email in response to his video. This is a great lead on a great dog, but I have no idea at this point if it will work out. This boy is a 7 hour drive from me.

Dog # 2 is 4 months old with a gimpy leg. He was bred as a show dog, so his breathing and nostrils are very good and open. He had a grade I luxating patella which led to a torn ACL when he was a baby puppy and he jumped off something. It completely healed on its own with no surgery, but he has a very slight limp when jogging that could possibly follow him for the rest of his life. Or he might have no problems for the rest of his life. And/or the other leg could have the same problems. This boy is completely gorgeous and my vet said he actually would be an ok choice given the situation has healed in its own. I would take him conditionally until he saw my vet, etc, and she approved him. He is 2.5 hours away.

I thought about making a post explaining why we can't have a straight up rescue dog, but I will sum it up here: I had a "free dog to good home" who just passed in April. He was over 100 pounds when he died, and though we picked him up at 9 weeks old, had severe challenges to his temperment and difficulty in training. This dog, while loved dearly to us, was simply a hard dog to own. If I had known he was going to turn out as he did, I would have passed on him. He was a mix of boxer, american bulldog and hound.

One day, unknown to me, my frail 100 pound neighbor came to my house. I was in the tub; my kids answered the door. The dog bolted out of my daughter's bedroom and jumped on said neighbor (kinda pushed her with paws like boxers can do) and she went flying and landed on the largest, pointiest rock in my garden that I owned. Super unfortunate incident for all of us. She has osteoporosis and shattered 5 of her ribs, with some pieces puncturing her liver and lungs. She was in ICU for a week and then in the hospital longer. She had to go to a different state for specialized surgery to find and reattach all of her rib pieces.

This was automatically our fault because of the dog laws in our state. After a 3 year back and forth recovery, rehabilitation and mediation, our homeowners insurance settled with her for 500k. They had asked for 1.2 million dollars. PEOPLE, MAKE SURE YOU HAVE UMBRELLA INSURANCE IF YOU HAVE DOGS.(if it covers pets). We had to get our big boy his own surplus lines liabiltiy insurance policy which cost $1,000 a year.

Also we can't have fences in our neighborhood per the rules. (So stupid, but nonetheless...) as I assume you can see, we have to be extra choosy about which dog we get as our homeowners no longer covers pets. We also have no fence, etc, so while I completely understand about rescue, (Gabe was the third of three rescues in a row we had), right now we have to have clear temperment, known personality and small in size, etc. This is why I am also looking at purebreds. (Not that it needs explaining, but I truly believe in and support rescues, and I do feel guilty not going down to the pound and getting a dog, but I need to make completely responsible choices given our neighborhood and the fact that the average age is probably 70 on my street).

Last edited:

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
So sorry to hear of your loss!

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
whitewave, I'm sorry to hear of Gabe's passing! He was lucky to have you -- and you to have him -- and I think you are a great doggy momma.

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm so sorry to hear about your loss whitewave!!! :(It's always tough to lose a beloved member of the family...:::hugs and strength:::

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm so sorry for the loss of your sweet Gabe whitewave - what a traumatic thing to go through. Please be good to yourself, you've had quite a shock. Sending lots of comfort and support to you. You gave him a wonderful life, and I hope that brings you some comfort. (((Hugs)))

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It does. He really did seem to love his life with us. We really enjoyed him.

freezing_in_MO

Shiny_Rock
Please accept my condolences. Perhaps he returned your love by saving you from tough health care decisions about him.

I hope you are able to find a suitable dog very soon. I understand why you have to be careful.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OMG it hurt to read this :blackeye:

I am so sorry for your loss.

I'm glad he went peacefully and he didn't know what was happening.

:blackeye:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results