shape
carat
color
clarity

My custom setting and honest opinions please

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Novel

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/25/2009 3:39:38 PM
Author: Boom
I know right now your head is preoccupied with images of airlines and splits in a size of Grand Canyon, but when the dust clears I expect a nice gift with a letter of apology.

My regards to your husband, my heart is going out for him.

My god. This is cruel. Cruel. Boom, I''m so sorry, not just about the ring but that you''re being put through this by someone who seems, frankly, to enjoy being smarter, better, and meaner than everyone else.

brandy_z28

Brilliant_Rock
So Leon likes to have the last word.

He sends me this email.
It sounds like you are unhappy with this ring. From what I understand you are not happy about the width of the split and the width of the airline. Are there any other objections? What airline width do you think you’d specify if you were doing it again?
You don’t have to answer if you don’t feel like answering. I am just trying to understand how I should prepare a work order with future customers to , make sure there is a full understanding of what will be done.

My reply:
Really? I couldn''t sleep and couldn''t function for the last few days because I was so depressed. My husband offered to fly me to NY to talk to you personally. You make hundreds of these gorgeous rings, but for me, I have to save in order to own a few of your beauties. It was very very important to me and it''s ruined. So yes. I am unhappy with this ring. But I''m taking it because I can''t let this control my life anymore.

I will answer your questions because I want to spare others from this kind of experience. It clearly is a problem because I know you recently made a setting for a sapphire that turned out totally different from the customer''s expectations as well.

First, the split shank. It is not the width of the split, it is the length that is the problem. As the name implies, the split should be clearly visible from the top, just like the red spinel ring as well as the recent pink cushion spinel ring you made. I don''t think the customer should be expected to specify how deep/long the split should be, because how would we know? You are the expert.

Next, the airline. If I were doing it again, I''d say no airline. Then if you had to add one, you should be telling the customer why an airline is needed and how big it''s going to be. I would expect the airline to be minimal and equidistant on all sides because that is the point of going custom. So that the setting fits the stone like a glove. I''m going to be blunt. With this setting, it looks like another stone (slightly more elongated) could be put in without modification. The airline on my asscher halo is nothing short of perfect.

I know you are an artiste, I respect that. But at the same time, as customers we have certain visions as well. Please if you need to make changes for technical or aesthetic reasons, explain to us so that we know what to expect. Customers come to you for their dream settings despite the distance or the cost because they want to see their dream settings built by a master. When you take liberties with the design without informing us, it totally crushes us.

Perhaps you didn''t expect such a long answer. The truth is, I put you on a pedestal, and I know you do some of the best work out there, but I won''t be coming back again.

His reply

Your unhappiness is solely a product of your imagination. I am sorry you feel this way. I am going to do something nice – I will reply to your email point by point, so you can see for yourself how ridiculous your logic is. I don’t blame you personally, I feel that you are a kind and nice person. I am guessing someone is misguiding you and I will try to get you to hear my end of it.

>>> It was very very important to me and it''s ruined. >>>
How do you know ? You haven’t seen the ring yet.

>>> As the name implies, the split should be clearly visible from the top>>>
Name does not imply that. Many customers love short split, it’s a matter of personal preference. The reason we fill the work order is to agree on specifics, just like you pick a wallpaper when you hire a contractor. If you were to ask me I would suggested the size of a split I’ve done.

>>> Because how would we know? You are the expert. >>>
If I am the expert – why don’t you take my word that it is a beautiful ring perfect for the stone, done just right. I’ve seen it you haven’t. I have advantage.))))

>>> If I were doing it again, I''d say no airline. >>>
So you think you’ve made a mistake choosing an airline. Why would you blame me for your choice? I disagree that this is a mistake, but again – this is a matter of personal preferences, your wish is my command.

>>> you should be telling the customer why an airline is needed>>>
Again – it’s not needed, it’s a choice of a design, your choice, you’ve made it.

>>> I would expect the airline to be minimal and equidistant on all sides>>>
You are correct and it is. The airline is uniform, 0.3 mm wide. This is what we do most of the time. If you have a preference of particular airline width you should have specified it on your work order that you SIGNED.

>>> it looks like another stone (slightly more elongated) could be put in without modification>>>
Not true, it’s equal to the highest degree, you cannot use the photograph to asses it because the image comes out distorted. I never send photos of finished work and exception that I’ve made in your case I’ve come to regret. At least I would expect a benefit of a doubt by a long time customer.

>>> The airline on my asscher halo is nothing short of perfect.>>>
According to my records ( and if my memory serves me well) your asscher cut ring DOES NOT have an airline.

>>> I know you are an artiste>>>
No, I am a jeweler. I create a piece of jewelry according to customer’s wishes using my artistic abilities to achieve the best possible result. Artistic interpretation is not a science and cannot be argued in this manner. If you feel my artistic abilities are not on par with your artistic requirements simply find another jeweler. No need to insult me.

>>> When you take liberties with the design without informing us>>>
Please read the work order you’ve signed!!!!

>>> I put you on a pedestal>>>
I am still alive.

>>> you do some of the best work out there, but I won''t be coming back again>>>>
Trust me you will. The real question is –will I take you back? Of course I will. I like you. You are fun. I haven’t had such a clear case of temporary jewelry blindness since 1995. I think you will get over it. Get a good night sleep, take an aspirin, wait for a week or so and by that time doctor “pink spinel ring” will arrive and will put you out of your misery. I know right now your head is preoccupied with images of airlines and splits in a size of Grand Canyon, but when the dust clears I expect a nice gift with a letter of apology.

OH MY DEAR GOD
38.gif
29.gif
29.gif
29.gif
29.gif

I have nothing constructive to say. My jaw hit the floor with that last comment. My mouth was already gaping open and it kept dropping further but that did it!

I am so sorry Boom!!! ((((HUGS))))

Boom

Shiny_Rock
Thanks Novel, I don''t have much to say anymore at this point.

He has my money and my ring. He better do the right thing.

Novel

Brilliant_Rock
I hope so, too. I don''t have words for how wrong it is to treat someone that way...Cruel. ((((hugs)))

Boom

Shiny_Rock
No worries , brandy_z28 I got a shock when I first read this, but oh well.

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So Leon likes to have the last word.

He sends me this email.
It sounds like you are unhappy with this ring. From what I understand you are not happy about the width of the split and the width of the airline. Are there any other objections? What airline width do you think you’d specify if you were doing it again?
You don’t have to answer if you don’t feel like answering. I am just trying to understand how I should prepare a work order with future customers to , make sure there is a full understanding of what will be done.

My reply:
Really? I couldn''t sleep and couldn''t function for the last few days because I was so depressed. My husband offered to fly me to NY to talk to you personally. You make hundreds of these gorgeous rings, but for me, I have to save in order to own a few of your beauties. It was very very important to me and it''s ruined. So yes. I am unhappy with this ring. But I''m taking it because I can''t let this control my life anymore.

I will answer your questions because I want to spare others from this kind of experience. It clearly is a problem because I know you recently made a setting for a sapphire that turned out totally different from the customer''s expectations as well.

First, the split shank. It is not the width of the split, it is the length that is the problem. As the name implies, the split should be clearly visible from the top, just like the red spinel ring as well as the recent pink cushion spinel ring you made. I don''t think the customer should be expected to specify how deep/long the split should be, because how would we know? You are the expert.

Next, the airline. If I were doing it again, I''d say no airline. Then if you had to add one, you should be telling the customer why an airline is needed and how big it''s going to be. I would expect the airline to be minimal and equidistant on all sides because that is the point of going custom. So that the setting fits the stone like a glove. I''m going to be blunt. With this setting, it looks like another stone (slightly more elongated) could be put in without modification. The airline on my asscher halo is nothing short of perfect.

I know you are an artiste, I respect that. But at the same time, as customers we have certain visions as well. Please if you need to make changes for technical or aesthetic reasons, explain to us so that we know what to expect. Customers come to you for their dream settings despite the distance or the cost because they want to see their dream settings built by a master. When you take liberties with the design without informing us, it totally crushes us.

Perhaps you didn''t expect such a long answer. The truth is, I put you on a pedestal, and I know you do some of the best work out there, but I won''t be coming back again.

His reply

Your unhappiness is solely a product of your imagination. I am sorry you feel this way. I am going to do something nice – I will reply to your email point by point, so you can see for yourself how ridiculous your logic is. I don’t blame you personally, I feel that you are a kind and nice person. I am guessing someone is misguiding you and I will try to get you to hear my end of it.

>>> It was very very important to me and it''s ruined. >>>
How do you know ? You haven’t seen the ring yet.

>>> As the name implies, the split should be clearly visible from the top>>>
Name does not imply that. Many customers love short split, it’s a matter of personal preference. The reason we fill the work order is to agree on specifics, just like you pick a wallpaper when you hire a contractor. If you were to ask me I would suggested the size of a split I’ve done.

>>> Because how would we know? You are the expert. >>>
If I am the expert – why don’t you take my word that it is a beautiful ring perfect for the stone, done just right. I’ve seen it you haven’t. I have advantage.))))

>>> If I were doing it again, I''d say no airline. >>>
So you think you’ve made a mistake choosing an airline. Why would you blame me for your choice? I disagree that this is a mistake, but again – this is a matter of personal preferences, your wish is my command.

>>> you should be telling the customer why an airline is needed>>>
Again – it’s not needed, it’s a choice of a design, your choice, you’ve made it.

>>> I would expect the airline to be minimal and equidistant on all sides>>>
You are correct and it is. The airline is uniform, 0.3 mm wide. This is what we do most of the time. If you have a preference of particular airline width you should have specified it on your work order that you SIGNED.

>>> it looks like another stone (slightly more elongated) could be put in without modification>>>
Not true, it’s equal to the highest degree, you cannot use the photograph to asses it because the image comes out distorted. I never send photos of finished work and exception that I’ve made in your case I’ve come to regret. At least I would expect a benefit of a doubt by a long time customer.

>>> The airline on my asscher halo is nothing short of perfect.>>>
According to my records ( and if my memory serves me well) your asscher cut ring DOES NOT have an airline.

>>> I know you are an artiste>>>
No, I am a jeweler. I create a piece of jewelry according to customer’s wishes using my artistic abilities to achieve the best possible result. Artistic interpretation is not a science and cannot be argued in this manner. If you feel my artistic abilities are not on par with your artistic requirements simply find another jeweler. No need to insult me.

>>> When you take liberties with the design without informing us>>>
Please read the work order you’ve signed!!!!

>>> I put you on a pedestal>>>
I am still alive.

>>> you do some of the best work out there, but I won''t be coming back again>>>>
Trust me you will. The real question is –will I take you back? Of course I will. I like you. You are fun. I haven’t had such a clear case of temporary jewelry blindness since 1995. I think you will get over it. Get a good night sleep, take an aspirin, wait for a week or so and by that time doctor “pink spinel ring” will arrive and will put you out of your misery. I know right now your head is preoccupied with images of airlines and splits in a size of Grand Canyon, but when the dust clears I expect a nice gift with a letter of apology.

All I can say is OMG, this is beyond horrbile
23.gif
23.gif
No one deserves this kind of rude behaviour
38.gif
I am so sorry you are going through this, your ring looks like it will be very pretty, but I got to agree with what I have seen of his work, this one is not one of his best.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Boom,
Disagreement with the design and how it turned out is one thing but to fling personal insults with such a cavalier attitude is a different matter. No one deserves to be treated in such a manner. I’m so sorry you had to experience this.
29.gif

oddoneout

Ideal_Rock
I cannot believe all this stuff (you know what curse word I wanted to insert instead of "stuff") you''ve had to go through. I hope the ring turns out ok and/or you find someone who will create your dream ring to your specifications. I''m so sorry. I can just imagine the stress/anxiety/depression you''ve had to go through.

Boom

Shiny_Rock
I don''t want to go over his email in detail, but I do want to say that an airline was never discussed. Perhaps we both made assumptions, but it was never discussed pertaining to this setting.

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
I can''t believe that email he wrote you! What a patronizing jerk! How dare he say he knows you''ll come back and he pities your husband?

Ugh.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My first reaction was laughter, mostly because I couldn''t imagine how this could not be a cruel joke! Seriously, who talks like that to a customer? I can see why he was nicknamed the ring-nazi.

fierypyropixy

Brilliant_Rock
Oh my. The EXPECTATION of a "nice gift" and letter of apology, followed by that snark about your husband. Wow. When I made my first comment in this thread I was trying to give the man the benefit of a doubt, but that? Guaranteed I will never . . . ever . . . give business to that . . . well, Glitterata captured it best -- Patronizing Jerk!

You don''t treat a client that way.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Boom,
I''m appalled and sorry.

TL,
My post does not merely reiterate Gailey''s, but expands on it.

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
Boom, I''ve been following this thread and I just wanted to send you some (((hugs))). My heart goes out to you--no person deserves to be treated this way! Especially not by someone in a service industry who SHOULD always have the customer''s best interest in mind. I had always admired the beautiful LM rings I''ve seen in this forum, and had entertained the idea of getting one when I decide to buy my first colored stone, but thanks to this thread and seeing how you''ve been treated, I will never NEVER take a stone to that man for setting. Ever. And I know I''m not alone in that. Who cares if the man does beautiful prongs?!? I''ll bezel set my stone, thank you very much.

ARGH. The NERVE of some people!
29.gif

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
FWIW, I think it might clarify things further & give a fuller picture for you to post the "work order" to which he refers. There''s obviously a lot of "he said/she said" going on here & none of us forum members have as much info as the directly involved parties.

Re: his email. Yeah, it comes across as condescending. But in fairness, your email response to his genuine question had elements of harsh candor itself.. especially since you have still not even seen this ring in person yet. To tell someone it is *ruined* before seeing it? I think emotions are running very high on all accounts here. Probably contributing to that fact is the idea that you have to accept it no matter WHAT it is, according to his policies. That would be driving me INSANE if I hadn''t already come to terms with that reality in advance. (Which I think any client of his should do in the future - or go elsewhere).

Re: my post earlier -- I do think there''s a chance this is a "bad one". And someone who cares more about his reputation would probably fix it or re-do it to keep you happy & keep his name clean. But that''s not the case here. Those aren''t his policies. And its something you knew in advance. Therefore you, in effect, agreed to take what was agreed to in the signed P.O. (vagueness probably works to his favor). I think its a SH*TTY policy personally. But I might agree to it for that kind of work at his prices. Odds are eventually there''s gonna be a dud. You just kinda hope its not yours I guess.

I''m genuinely sorry you''re going through this anxious waiting period & that he''s seemingly so cavalier about your feelings/concerns. I really hope this whole thing has been a misunderstanding & that the pictures have blown things out of proportion to such an extent that you are actually delighted with the final look *on your hand*. I wonder if that is the case if his attitude might be more understandable. Perhaps so, perhaps not. Everyone can judge that for themselves & as I said before, vote with their dollars.

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
6.gif

Boom, I have no words. Had I received that email, I''d have posted the whole thing in it''s entirety to my claim with the BBB. ((((((hugs)))))))

I''m so sorry for you, Boom, and sorry he went the personal attack route. This is unacceptable customer service and I can''t believe he would put all of that into an email!

Boom

Shiny_Rock
Date: 9/25/2009 4:32:45 PM
Author: decodelighted
FWIW, I think it might clarify things further & give a fuller picture for you to post the ''work order'' to which he refers. There''s obviously a lot of ''he said/she said'' going on here & none of us forum members have as much info as the directly involved parties.

Re: his email. Yeah, it comes across as condescending. But in fairness, your email response to his genuine question had elements of harsh candor itself.. especially since you have still not even seen this ring in person yet. To tell someone it is *ruined* before seeing it? I think emotions are running very high on all accounts here. Probably contributing to that fact is the idea that you have to accept it no matter WHAT it is, according to his policies. That would be driving me INSANE if I hadn''t already come to terms with that reality in advance. (Which I think any client of his should do in the future - or go elsewhere).

Re: my post earlier -- I do think there''s a chance this is a ''bad one''. And someone who cares more about his reputation would probably fix it or re-do it to keep you happy & keep his name clean. But that''s not the case here. Those aren''t his policies. And its something you knew in advance. Therefore you, in effect, agreed to take what was agreed to in the signed P.O. (vagueness probably works to his favor). I think its a SH*TTY policy personally. But I might agree to it for that kind of work at his prices. Odds are eventually there''s gonna be a dud. You just kinda hope its not yours I guess.

I''m genuinely sorry you''re going through this anxious waiting period & that he''s seemingly so cavalier about your feelings/concerns. I really hope this whole thing has been a misunderstanding & that the pictures have blown things out of proportion to such an extent that you are actually delighted with the final look *on your hand*. I wonder if that is the case if his attitude might be more understandable. Perhaps so, perhaps not. Everyone can judge that for themselves & as I said before, vote with their dollars.
Deco, you are right. Perhaps I did show too much of my emotions when replying to his email. It definitely rubbed him the wrong way. Well, my mistake in answering his questions. I can post the WO of course but I don''t think it''ll help much. Let me go find it.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''ve been following this thread Boom, and I have nothing to say but that I''m soooooo sorry you went through this.

That email is beyond unprofessional. I am just appalled at his behavior. Does he not realize that no matter what, even if it showed up and was magically perfect, that this ring has been ruined for you due to such a miserable experience?

My heart goes out to you my dear.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
oh...I don''t even know what to say. I keep trying to type a reply but I''m like, stuttering when I type and can''t get anything to make sense. I''ll just say I''m so sorry things are turning out this way, and I still hope and have my fingers crossed that when you see it you''ll be happy with it.

I think I''ll have to find someone else to do the oval rose cut 3 stone I want for the future.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hope anybody thinking of using Leon Mege now has a serious rethink. What a disgraceful, unprofessional and arrogant attitude.

I don''t care if he''s a "master" because he can do pointy prongs - big deal.
I don''t care if he''s considered an "artiste" - woopedy do.
I don''t care if he was the last jeweller on earth - nothing would tempt me to use him.

If you didn''t discuss an airline and there''s nothing in the work order about an airline, then quite frankly, he can''t say that you sanctioned one.

Sending you tons and tons of ((((((((((((hugs)))))))))))))) and a pair of boxing gloves for your husband to use on Mr "I''m so perfect" Mege.

Boom

Shiny_Rock
Date: 9/25/2009 4:50:43 PM
Author: FrekeChild
I''ve been following this thread Boom, and I have nothing to say but that I''m soooooo sorry you went through this.

That email is beyond unprofessional. I am just appalled at his behavior. Does he not realize that no matter what, even if it showed up and was magically perfect, that this ring has been ruined for you due to such a miserable experience?

My heart goes out to you my dear.
Thank you Freke, that''s exactly what I meant by ruined. I wasn''t saying it woul d not be a well made ring.

Here''s the WO

WOSP.JPG

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
So by this we see he WAS supposed to include SMALLER stones in the halo.... we DO see the split shank request... and there is NOTHING about an airline ANYWHERE.

I have no words for the email
38.gif

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks for posting the W.O., Boom. I thought it might help get the whole situation on the table -- not because I don''t believe what you''re saying.
1.gif
I see no mention of "airline" - and the reference picture is BEZEL SET. What''s left *unwritten* is whether this is to be a "copy" of the red spiniel ring ... or not? or how it relates to that other than the "more delicate/smaller halo".

I really hope you like it in person & that, in time, memories about the whole *business* transaction part (as awful as it seems to be) will fade enough to really enjoy the gem. The end doesn''t justify the means but ultimately its up to you whether to let his arrogance affect your enjoyment. If there''s indeed enjoyment to be had once you see it. Good luck!

Boom

Shiny_Rock
Date: 9/25/2009 5:11:52 PM
Author: decodelighted
Thanks for posting the W.O., Boom. I thought it might help get the whole situation on the table -- not because I don''t believe what you''re saying.
1.gif
I see no mention of ''airline'' - and the reference picture is BEZEL SET. What''s left *unwritten* is whether this is to be a ''copy'' of the red spiniel ring ... or not? or how it relates to that other than the ''more delicate/smaller halo''.

I really hope you like it in person & that, in time, memories about the whole *business* transaction part (as awful as it seems to be) will fade enough to really enjoy the gem. The end doesn''t justify the means but ultimately its up to you whether to let his arrogance affect your enjoyment. If there''s indeed enjoyment to be had once you see it. Good luck!

Just to clarify, the words written under the Tiffany rings say "I would like the halo to center stone proportion to be like these huge rings". I assumed it was on there to remind whomever was making the ring, about the proportions.

I''ll let you know about the ring when I see it.
1.gif

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Oh Boom, what on earth can I say? I just want to throw my arms around you as I am sure does anyone who reads what you have posted here today.

I don''t think today is the day for dissecting his responses, nor the work order. Today is just a day for a giant group hug. But I caution you to keep every piece of paper connected to this project, every e-mail, and the packaging when this ring arrives. Keep all communication with him, if any, to written from this point forward.

I want you to know that when your ring does arrive, if you hate it, I will move heaven and earth to help find a jeweller to turn it into the ring of your dreams. I know I am not the only one that feels this way.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Boom, I''ve been following this thread and I''m sorry all this is happened.

I saw what the others saw in the ring. All we have to judge are photos and what I''ve learned on PS is that a photo doesn''t always accurately represent what you see IRL, especially when it''s magnified a million times.

PSers are a savvy group. They are also a passionate group. I think you could have saved yourself a little bit of emotional angst had you waited until you actually saw the ring. No persons nerves are made of steel and if I were you and had to read some of these responses, I''d be more and more freaked out by the day.

His email to you, I see how it comes across as condescending. I don''t mean this as affront to you, but I also can see how in his mind he is trying to be nice and teasing. I know most people here can''t fathom that, but I see that kind of weird humor all over his website. But my sense of humor is also quite off. However, the last line...well, that''s just yikes.

It''s good to post your experience. People can decide if it''s worth working with him or not, and take heart that at least your review will assist in that.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Boom sweetie are you in the US?

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
As a potential future LM customer, I just can''t believe that he had to nail his own coffin the way he did. He should have just responded in a professional,polite, business like manner by saying one thing and one thing only....... "please view the ring before you make any assumptions based on pictures"..... then when you receive it, we can discuss it further. I really believe that the ring will be far more gorgeous in person". Short and sweet...nothing more !!!He went way to far with his condescending remarks about your husband and the assumption that You will be back based on the fact that he will "take you back" because he likes you!! Totally unprofessional and he went way too far. Perhaps he assumed that since you purchased from him 3 times before with no difficulties..... that he will accept whatever he sends you based on your previous experiences??? At least that is what comes to mind for me.... That said, even more reason to appease the customer and a customer 4x over!!!

Eva17

Brilliant_Rock
Boom my condolences on your unmet expectations!

You have done a very brave thing. As the PS debate goes, this is still and should always be a place to educate the consumer on the good and the ugly...

I hope your disappointment CAN be relieved by some pleasure once you see it in person.

Good Luck

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Boom.
Sorry you have become so upset with your ring. I think this is a good place to express your concern over the look of your ring. However, I think you have jumped the gun because you have decided that all the supposed faults are in fact real. Leon is right--you haven''t seen the ring yet. Right now, this is the most important thing. I think Leon took the time to answer you and actually does like you. He is treating you as if you are a young girl and does understand that you are upset. Thats why he says he feels for your husband. He believes you.
Couldn''t you just wait until you see the ring. Your own state of mind can change your perception of it. And if Leon is right and it is beautiful? I''m hoping Leon keeps you as a customer. I think there is a chance it coud be perfect for you.

I think Leon showed some humility. He is not a genuis, he''s a jeweler. Don''t write anymore until you see it.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results