shape
carat
color
clarity

My custom setting and honest opinions please

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Boom

Shiny_Rock
Date: 9/23/2009 12:31:53 PM
Author: Allison D.
Boom, finished reading and some things make more sense now.

Since you provided Harriet''s ring as an inspiration and hers has an airline, I can see why he presumes you want an airline and would need you to specify otherwise if not. If you showed me a picture of a blue car and said ''I want a car like this'', I''d presume you wanted exactly what was pictured unless you expressly said ''I want a car just like this *except* I don''t want it in blue, I''d like it in red.''

While the photos do make the airline seem uneven, it sounds as though you haven''t seen the ring in person yet. Can I gently suggest that you see the ring in real life before making any conclusions? Over the years, I have found that photos tend to unnaturally emphasize details that appear far less significant in real life. Oftentimes, that''s due to the angle at which the photo is taken. A still shot of something isn''t wholly representative of what it looks like in 3D in person.

I can''t even tell you how many times we''ve had clients be alarmed by a detail or two in a photo that turns out to be non-issues when they see their pieces in person. If he''s heard your concern and asserted that the airline is even, I''d give the benefit of doubt long enough to at least see it in person yourself. I''m hoping you''ll be pleasantly surprised.
I asked Leon for a split shank halo ring of which he has several on his website. I used Harriet''s ring to explain to Leon that I wanted smaller stones in the halo so that the proportion of my ring would look more like the Tiffany rings. Even this part of my request was not followed.

This ring that Leon made looks different from Harriet''s ring. The airline of course, but also the split (hers is much deeper) is different.

I am prepared to see the ring first of course, but it''s complicated because I don''t live in the US and also Leon has already stated this setting is IT for my stone. There is no recourse for me.

I''ll attach a side by side shot of this ring and Harriet''s.

4018-compare.JPG

hoofbeats95

Brilliant_Rock
OMG! I was horrified to read that this was a Leon piece. Wow. I have admired his work. This is the first ring I saw that I didn''t like. It looks like that stone was plopped in a stock setting. It''s just off. I hope for your sake it''s better in real life. I have read too much about that man''s attitude to ever buy from him. I have a slight *B* side of me and I''d have to let it rip on him for this setting. To me custom means that it fits the stone like a glove. This does not. I''d ship the ring back and get the money back. He can plop someone else''s stone into that setting and try it again.

Boom

Shiny_Rock
Date: 9/23/2009 12:35:19 PM
Author: arjunajane
Date: 9/23/2009 10:49:06 AM

Author: Boom

Arunajane,

Yes, Leon did this ring. He does not use a mould, everything is handmade.

I went custom in order to have a setting that fit this stone. It may be a bit wonky but if anyone, he would have the skills to compensate for that. I''m not questioning the beauty of the setting, I am sure it is well made.

Date: 9/23/2009 10:37:04 AM

Author: arjunajane

whoa - that new pic really accentuates it.

Yeah, that is not acceptable - I don''t know how he can even defend that.

The airline itself looks uneven - bigger at the top than the bottom.

My (pretty big leap) - re-using a mould of Harriet''s when it''s not suitable?

Or am I missing something here - you are saying LM did this ring?

If that''s the case, I thought he was supposed to make everything from scratch?

When did LM start using moulds...? That is, If I have the right person, lol..
33.gif
40.gif

Boom,

I think you misinterpreted my post''s intent and tone.

I am *not* one of the LM defenders. Even though I admire his work, I doubt I would ever go to him due to threads such as yours. Just not worth the risk.

What I was commenting on is what everyone else has observed - apart from the airline being un-requested, it also seems wonky.

I agree, he *should* have the skills to compensate your stone if it''s proportions are not perfect. But what LM should do and does do - often very different things.!

I still say you should try not to sweat too much until you see it in person.

In the reduced photo, it is surely not as distinct.

But I also agree with others that if you receive it and still dislike the airline IRL - you deserve to have your stone back and (hopefully) some of your money.

Good luck, I''m sorry you''ve been let down.

Sorry arunajane,

I knew what you meant, it''s my fault I didn''t express myself well.

Yes, I do want to give the ring a chance, and the airline might not be too obvious, but it will still not be the ring I expected, you know?

Boom

Shiny_Rock
Date: 9/23/2009 12:49:13 PM
Author: hoofbeats95
OMG! I was horrified to read that this was a Leon piece. Wow. I have admired his work. This is the first ring I saw that I didn''t like. It looks like that stone was plopped in a stock setting. It''s just off. I hope for your sake it''s better in real life. I have read too much about that man''s attitude to ever buy from him. I have a slight *B* side of me and I''d have to let it rip on him for this setting. To me custom means that it fits the stone like a glove. This does not. I''d ship the ring back and get the money back. He can plop someone else''s stone into that setting and try it again.

You are absolutely right, it is about the fit. I thought that''s what custom meant...

Boom

Shiny_Rock
Date: 9/23/2009 12:45:50 PM
Author: Babyblue033
I personally like airlines, when done delicately and EVENLY. For me it''s not the airline itself that would bother me but the fact that it is uneven. But I would echo others that you should at least wait to see the ring in person before getting too upset, it''s definitely possible it may not be quite as noticeable in person. Still, I totally understand your frustration at having paid for a custom ring by who many consider to be a master, to receive something that is not done correctly.

Thank you for your thoughts Babyblue, I definitely will give this ring a chance.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
It really doesn''t look like Harriets ring at all... the ariline is bigger and more importantly, the split shank is not the same at all. Hers is much more delicate IMHO. The airline issue aside, though it is a big one, the issue of the shank is serious because it totally changes the way that it looks! Also, the way the diamonds are set doesn''t look the same on the two rings.

Pooh, I don''t know what recourse you have, but I do know that if you accept delivery of the ring your options are more limited. Aside from legal action, I don''t see how you can press this. Is it worth it? If you get it and think it is beautiful -- which it probably is!! -- will you feel okay about it?

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh crikey Boom - I feel for you, really I do. I hate it when the finished piece doesn''t meet expectations.

Reading through this thread there are a couple of suggestions I''d like to make:

1. I think , as has already been suggested, the airline won''t be as obvious in real life. However, unfortunately now you know there is one, I have a feeling you may focus on it but it might be worth getting the ring for a look.

2. What the airline does is emphasis the lack of symmetry in the gemstone (top and bottom). The airline doesn''t appear so obvious at the sides. So my question to Leon would be (if you can live with an airline) to re-make the top and bottom of the halo to make the airline less obvious. I appreciate this may entail a full remake but if you''re not happy, you''re not happy.

3. The split shank is very shallow but may not show when it''s on your finger. What did you specifically ask for in terms of the split shank?

I know that Leon has a fearsome reputation but at the end of the day, you''re the customer. You really must stick to your guns. I understand Ali''s point using the car as an example BUT a good designer will run through everything he/she sees with the design you''ve provided and then should ask if you are happy with each individual piece of it. So if Leon knew the rings you were showing him had air lines, I would have expected him to ask you. Not to assume you know about designs. At the end of the day, that''s what you''re paying him for. Not just to create your ring but to guide you through the process. From everything I''ve read about him, he wants to control the process and do it "his" way.

This is your hard earned money. Make sure you get what YOU want.

Good luck and I''m sending you a big cyber hug (((((hug)))))

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Boom,
I''ve said what I have to say about what I think you should do I just wanted to express a big THANK YOU!! You were very brave to show this ring and admit it was a Leon. As a result, I and I know others, will probably not do business with this man. His reputation will be marred by this thread, in particular how he has treated you. Again, thank you for being forthright and honest, and exposing his deplorable rude treatment of you and his lack of customer service. I hope you love the ring in person, and it is everything you want it to be. Good luck to you. ((((Hugs))))) for all that you are going through in dealing with this.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Since you provided Harriet''s ring as an inspiration and hers has an airline, I can see why he presumes you want an airline and would need you to specify otherwise if not. If you showed me a picture of a blue car and said ''I want a car like this'', I''d presume you wanted exactly what was pictured unless you expressly said ''I want a car just like this *except* I don''t want it in blue, I''d like it in red.''

While the photos do make the airline seem uneven, it sounds as though you haven''t seen the ring in person yet. Can I gently suggest that you see the ring in real life before making any conclusions? Over the years, I have found that photos tend to unnaturally emphasize details that appear far less significant in real life. Oftentimes, that''s due to the angle at which the photo is taken. A still shot of something isn''t wholly representative of what it looks like in 3D in person.

I can''t even tell you how many times we''ve had clients be alarmed by a detail or two in a photo that turns out to be non-issues when they see their pieces in person. If he''s heard your concern and asserted that the airline is even, I''d give the benefit of doubt long enough to at least see it in person yourself. I''m hoping you''ll be pleasantly surprised.

If you''re still unhappy after seeing it in person, I think it''s reasonable to bring your concerns back to him and see how you can work together to resolve it.
Alison, with all due respect, and I think you can agree, Whiteflash is not rude to their customers when the customer expresses displeasure. Also, shipping a ring back and forth, especially such an expensive item, is not free, and can be costly as well. If she doesn''t like it, it has to go back. Who is paying the S&H cost to send it to her as well, probably Boom. Knowing that the man can''t even deal with paying for a ring box for some of his clients, I''m sure most of the costs for S&H will probably fall on Boom.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/23/2009 12:46:05 PM

I asked Leon for a split shank halo ring of which he has several on his website. I used Harriet's ring to explain to Leon that I wanted smaller stones in the halo so that the proportion of my ring would look more like the Tiffany rings. Even this part of my request was not followed.

This ring that Leon made looks different from Harriet's ring. The airline of course, but also the split (hers is much deeper) is different.

I am prepared to see the ring first of course, but it's complicated because I don't live in the US and also Leon has already stated this setting is IT for my stone. There is no recourse for me.

I'll attach a side by side shot of this ring and Harriet's.
I'm not so sure about that. I would check with domestic authorities in the United States, but I believe you can still lodge a complaint with the BBB regardless of whether you live in the United States or not. A complaint is a complaint no matter where it comes from. I also feel that your other recourse is getting your stone and $$$ back. I would love to see what he says about that. However, it seems you have decided to keep the ring, so that is your decision, but you still should be able to get your $$$ back, regardless of whether you live in the US or not. I would look into that if I were you if that is something you are still considering.

Allison D.

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/23/2009 12:46:05 PM

I asked Leon for a split shank halo ring of which he has several on his website. I used Harriet''s ring to explain to Leon that I wanted smaller stones in the halo so that the proportion of my ring would look more like the Tiffany rings. Even this part of my request was not followed.

This ring that Leon made looks different from Harriet''s ring. The airline of course, but also the split (hers is much deeper) is different.

I am prepared to see the ring first of course, but it''s complicated because I don''t live in the US and also Leon has already stated this setting is IT for my stone. There is no recourse for me.

I''ll attach a side by side shot of this ring and Harriet''s.
I would agree that the proportions do look different, and I can say honestly that there may be several things contributing to that.

One may be the dimensions/sizes of the stones. By example, if Harriet''s stone is considerably larger than yours, it might not be possible to achieve the same proportional dimensions because the melee in the split and shank may be too thin to be structurally practical. I''ve seen some gorgeous rings that were in the 3+ ct range with thin shanks that were only about 2.5mm; if you were to try to build the same proportion look with a 2ct ring, the shank would be too thin to hold its structure when worn.

Another possibility may be a difference in finger size - if your ring size is different, that also affects the overall design. One of our clients ordered a 5-stone ring with 30-point stones; she ordered this based on the ''same'' ring posted by another customer who also used 30-point stones. When she saw her photos, she pointed out a difference in the arc of the stones between them. We determined that the inspiration ring was a size 4.5, and hers was a size 7. Since the stones were exactly the same size, their spread factor caused a more pronounced arch to fit them into the size 4.5 setting than in the size 7 setting.

From the photos, it does appear as though the metalwork of the halo (fishtail?) is more visible than it is in Harriet''s ring, but it''s hard to say from the single view. Regardless, I''m sorry you are disappointed and hope that you''ll be more pleased with it when you see it in person.

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Boom, IIRC, your Asscher by Leon is prong set. Did you notice ANY airline at all with that ring?

Honestly, taking a few moments to think about it, I think we may be on a witch hunt here before you''ve even seen it in person. Your other Leons are gorgeous, and the detail is overwhelmingly fitting for the price I imagine you paid.

However, this one is once again under a macro lense, which can be incredibly unforgiving at times. If it''s already on its way to you, I would just make sure you view it with an open mind. If you love it when you see it in the box/bag/whatever and on your hand, it shouldn''t matter if the airline is slightly off. Looking again at the shruken image (did anyone else put their finger up to the screen to see if it ''fit''?
3.gif
) it doesn''t look to be an obvious difference, but I will wait to hear from you whether it''s acceptable to you.

I can''t justify his words and actions to you, though. Have you had any other instances while working with him that he may have shown you this kind of behaviour?

fierypyropixy

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Boom,

I don''t have anything constructive to add, but I''m so sorry your Leon experience has turned into such a bad one. My heart fell when I saw that side shot . . . and I''m really hoping that upon receipt it''s not so noticeable. And that if it IS better/not as noticeable in person, you can block out the nasty behavior on his part and not let it mar the ring for you.

When you say that he says that "this is IT" for the ring, is that a threat of not being able to return? Surely not . . . I''m hoping that it simply means he wouldn''t work on it anymore. And if that''s the case, I''d take the money back and be GLAD to not have to deal with his foul temperament. Wow, it''s amazing -- I''ve looked at his site, and all these beautiful pieces that he creates (and have one in particular that I''ve wanted to re-create) . . . but the sense of having to tiptoe around him, as to not enrage "the master", really turns me off.

Again, I''m so sorry what should have been a wonderfully indulgent experience had to be ruined like this.
15.gif

Michael_E

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 9/23/2009 11:14:46 AM
Author: MakingTheGrade
Did Harriet''s ring have an airline? I can''t tell from that small of a picture.
Airline aside, it looks lovely.

I think that you folks should really wait until this can be seen in person to say much about it. Here''s why:

1. Harriets ring looks to me like it does have an airline in the picture. Remember that airlines are more pronounced when the picture is taken at an angle and can look huge when in fact they are not large at all. The Tiffany rings can''t have airlines, because they are bezel set, so immaterial to this discussion. If you roughly scale the airline in the pictures of this ring you come up with about .3mm to .4mm, not much IRL.

2. The pictures that you are looking at magnify the piece by about ten times. This is more magnification than most jewelers use when making the piece. It also means that anything that looks a little "wonky", probably won''t be, once the piece is in hand. Most of us view what we do as art and craftsmanship, not as being a machinist. This means, particularly with hand made things, that they will not be absolutely perfect when viewed at scales that are never used in real life. You wouldn''t look at a painting under magnification and expect all of the brush marks to be perfect would you ?

3. The stone sizes look a touch bigger than Harriet''s ring, but then we don''t know the exact scales here either. It looks to me like the halo stones are probably about 1 point stones. This leaves you with two other choices for the halo stones, 3/4 and 1/2 pointers, both of which would most likely have left the halo being too thin for daily wear without the metal protruding past the stones and making the halo look differently than it was supposed to. In making a ring there are some decisions which require that the craftsperson look at durability as well as the look that a client may want. You can''t always ask the client everything, since the differences are not always obvious or easy to explain without seeing them, and so you make decisions which are a balancing act between the look of the piece, (at normal viewing scales), and things like durability and comfort.

This is a lovely ring. My advice is to wait until you have this in hand to make any judgements. Don''t use a loupe either, that''s cheating and not how you''ll be looking at this ring when you''re walking around catching compliments about it. Take some hand shots once you have it and wear it for a week to see how you feel after you''ve worn it for a while.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Michael,
Question since you are in the jewelry business. How much do you think that amount of platinum and diamonds (and pretend they''re top quality diamonds) would cost wholesale? Any amount above that would be the price you pay for workmanship, and if it''s several thousand, I would expect nothing but perfection.
It''s like spending thousands on a nice car. The metal and the other parts are not particularly worth that much, but the rest is the workmanship, and if I was buying a Ferrari, I would want the perection that goes with it. Leon is often compared to perfection, so that is where the difference lies, and his pricepoints as well. JMO.

In any case, regardless of it being the most perfect ring in the world, it doesn''t excuse how he treated her. You don''t bite the hand that feeds you.

Allison D.

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/23/2009 1:27:13 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover

If you''re still unhappy after seeing it in person, I think it''s reasonable to bring your concerns back to him and see how you can work together to resolve it.
Alison, with all due respect, and I think you can agree, Whiteflash is not rude to their customers when the customer expresses displeasure. Also, shipping a ring back and forth, especially such an expensive item, is not free, and can be costly as well. If she doesn''t like it, it has to go back. Who is paying the S&H cost to send it to her as well, probably Boom. Knowing that the man can''t even deal with paying for a ring box for some of his clients, I''m sure most of the costs for S&H will probably fall on Boom.
TL, I do emphatically agree with this, which is why I didn''t comment on this portion of her distress and confined my input to those elements that may affect the actual construction of the ring.

I agree with you that shipping can be costly. In cases where we''ve strongly believed that seeing the piece in person would resolve lingering concerns created by a photos, we''ve offered to cover the return shipping cost if the client still wasn''t satisfied upon receipt.

We wouldn''t presume to suggest that any other vendor should follow our business model; everyone has to do work works best for his own business. It''s worth saying, though, that if Boom feels this might help in her situation, it may be a good idea for her to suggest it.

With respect to what I''ve highlighted above in blue, I don''t think any of us has enough information about this particular transaction to fairly assume to whom the costs may fall.

Michael_E

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 9/23/2009 1:50:37 PM
Michael,

Question since you are in the jewelry business. How much do you think that amount of platinum and diamonds (and pretend they''re top quality diamonds) would cost wholesale? Any amount above that would be the price you pay for workmanship, and if it''s several thousand, I would expect nothing but perfection.

It''s like spending thousands on a nice car. The metal and the other parts are not particularly worth that much, but the rest is the workmanship, and if I was buying a Ferrari, I would want the perection that goes with it. Leon is often compared to perfection, so that is where the difference lies, and his pricepoints as well. JMO.

In any case, regardless of it being the most perfect ring in the world, it doesn''t excuse how he treated her. You don''t bite the hand that feeds you.

TL,
The cost of materials is generally 1/3 to 1/2 of the cost of any project, lower when more time is involved and much higher with commercial settings, (since labor costs are much lower). The relationship of cost to perfection in the sense of a piece being well done at even microsopic scales is exponential, as the cost will go up dramatically as the requirements for perfection go to ever smaller scales. Perfection at those scales is not what most craftspeople are trying to accomplish, since it really doesn''t matter in everyday use. For many the attempt is to make their execution, (fit, symmetry, surface, finish), as good as possible within the time and cost requirements of the client. The design portion is much harder to claim as perfect, since it would have to be perfect for a client who we often don''t even get to meet and only have limited discussions with. Additionally, at a certain level of magnification you lose sight of the whole piece and start getting too close in my opinion. If you expect perfection, or anything else, it''s always best to make sure that you are very specific about your expectations from the start and if the craftsperson doesn''t ask, you shouldn''t assume that they are going in the same direction you are. In this case it''s no one''s fault and may not be a fault at all, since no one knows how the piece will be perceived until it''s being worn.

I can''t speak to how Mr. Mege has treated Boom, he may have had a bad day, she may not be understanding exactly what he means or she may be a very sensitive person. Obviously their communications are not going in the right direction and should probably be stopped until the piece is actually seen and tried out. As someone has said earlier, the process is nearly as important as the piece itself. Wouldn''t it be best for Boom to not be upset, but remain open and hopeful that this ring will meet her expectations when it arrives ?

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Wow, what a novel of a thread. And just after I praised LM''s work yesterday in another one...
9.gif

I suspected this was his when I saw those impeccable prongs in the halo, but it was hard to believe it could be his, considering the airlines. I''ll try to keep this brief and say that it''s best to wait untill you get it. But...
9.gif

- he could''ve pointed out the lack of symmetry in the stone to you in the first place, to bring to your attention the chance of it becoming an issue; it''s not exactly rocket science
- angles at which your and Harriet''s rings are photographed are not the same, her''s also has an airline, but a different angle and a darker background make it less obvious
- there''s no excuse for poor customer service
- if he threatens to do exactly the same thing next time(?!?!?!
23.gif
) I''d make sure I don''t have anything more to do with him in my life
- I actually like the proportions he used, cause I don''t like it when stones in the halo are teeny tiny and don''t show much sparkle
- halo he made is a perfect oval
- prongs he did are great
- your stone is not calibrated and not a perfect oval, and IMO is a good candidate for an east/west setting, which would not accentuate this lack of symmetry so much (but it''s still a wonderful stone)
- custom made setting should look as if it''s tailored for the stone, instead of looking like you used a pre-made one, cause you didn''t have to go the custom route to achieve that

I probably forgot some points, but this pretty much sums it.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/23/2009 2:50:39 PM
Author: ma re
Wow, what a novel of a thread. And just after I praised LM''s work yesterday in another one...
9.gif

I suspected this was his when I saw those impeccable prongs in the halo, but it was hard to believe it could be his, considering the airlines. I''ll try to keep this brief and say that it''s best to wait untill you get it. But...
9.gif

- he could''ve pointed out the lack of symmetry in the stone to you in the first place, to bring to your attention the chance of it becoming an issue; it''s not exactly rocket science
- angles at which your and Harriet''s rings are photographed are not the same, her''s also has an airline, but a different angle and a darker background make it less obvious
- there''s no excuse for poor customer service
- if he threatens to do exactly the same thing next time(?!?!?!
23.gif
) I''d make sure I don''t have anything more to do with him in my life
- I actually like the proportions he used, cause I don''t like it when stones in the halo are teeny tiny and don''t show much sparkle
- halo he made is a perfect oval
- prongs he did are great
- your stone is not calibrated and not a perfect oval, and IMO is a good candidate for an east/west setting, which would not accentuate this lack of symmetry so much (but it''s still a wonderful stone)
- custom made setting should look as if it''s tailored for the stone, instead of looking like you used a pre-made one, cause you didn''t have to go the custom route to achieve that

I probably forgot some points, but this pretty much sums it.
Very good point Ma Rae, in light of the fact he''s asking HER to tell HIM she didn''t want an airline.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
To all,
The other thing to consider is the “mind clean” issue. The airline might not be as obvious in person, but because Boom has seen it in these pictures, it will always be obvious to her eye and ultimately, she’s the one who will be wearing it on a regular basis and seeing it glare back at her.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/23/2009 2:37:46 PM
Author: Michael_E

Date: 9/23/2009 1:50:37 PM
Michael,

Question since you are in the jewelry business. How much do you think that amount of platinum and diamonds (and pretend they're top quality diamonds) would cost wholesale? Any amount above that would be the price you pay for workmanship, and if it's several thousand, I would expect nothing but perfection.

It's like spending thousands on a nice car. The metal and the other parts are not particularly worth that much, but the rest is the workmanship, and if I was buying a Ferrari, I would want the perection that goes with it. Leon is often compared to perfection, so that is where the difference lies, and his pricepoints as well. JMO.

In any case, regardless of it being the most perfect ring in the world, it doesn't excuse how he treated her. You don't bite the hand that feeds you.

TL,
The cost of materials is generally 1/3 to 1/2 of the cost of any project, lower when more time is involved and much higher with commercial settings, (since labor costs are much lower). The relationship of cost to perfection in the sense of a piece being well done at even microsopic scales is exponential, as the cost will go up dramatically as the requirements for perfection go to ever smaller scales. Perfection at those scales is not what most craftspeople are trying to accomplish, since it really doesn't matter in everyday use. For many the attempt is to make their execution, (fit, symmetry, surface, finish), as good as possible within the time and cost requirements of the client. The design portion is much harder to claim as perfect, since it would have to be perfect for a client who we often don't even get to meet and only have limited discussions with. Additionally, at a certain level of magnification you lose sight of the whole piece and start getting too close in my opinion. If you expect perfection, or anything else, it's always best to make sure that you are very specific about your expectations from the start and if the craftsperson doesn't ask, you shouldn't assume that they are going in the same direction you are. In this case it's no one's fault and may not be a fault at all, since no one knows how the piece will be perceived until it's being worn.

I can't speak to how Mr. Mege has treated Boom, he may have had a bad day, she may not be understanding exactly what he means or she may be a very sensitive person. Obviously their communications are not going in the right direction and should probably be stopped until the piece is actually seen and tried out. As someone has said earlier, the process is nearly as important as the piece itself. Wouldn't it be best for Boom to not be upset, but remain open and hopeful that this ring will meet her expectations when it arrives ?
You know, I've taken super up close pictures of some of my "unworthy" LOGR's and they look like they have better fits to my stones (not all, but some). I do agree that if she wants to see it in person, to evaluate it, that's fine. My only concern is that it's going to cost her much more money in S&H costs if she doesn't like it. That is assuming Leon isn't going to pick up the bill for S&H and insurance if she at least decides to return it and it does not meet the expectations of the work he's accomplished for her in the past. I hope he does pick it up.

IMHO, good customer service would be to pay for the S&H and insurance if it did not meet her expectations, if that was a very pricey setting. LOGR has done that for me in the past, and he's a cheapie dealer. The reason I keep comparing LOGR to Leon is because they are at opposite ends of the spectrum in regards to pricing and workmanship. I feel that the more money you pay for an item, the higher the level of customer service should be (Tiff & Co is a good example of excellent customer service at a high price). Now, I do not run a business, but I do know that companies with well established reputations, and with high priced items, do go out of their way for their customers. Therefore, if LOGR can give me that much at his cheapie pricing structure, I would expect a great deal more from Leon. JMO again.

As for Leon mistreating Boom, this is not the first time I've heard about him mistreating a customer. I doubt it's Boom's fault or the fact that she's oversensitive, knowing what I've read in the past on PS about his behavior. Michael, I highly doubt you would ever treat a customer like that either, no matter how bad your day was. You're just too polite and you realize the importance of good customer service.

While I agree with Mr. Ma Rae, and I do think that this setting has some nice features, it should meet Boom's expectations 100%.

Boom

Shiny_Rock
It''s late here, so I''m going to try to answer as many questions as I can before going to bed.

dreamer_dachsie
Thank you for seeing that Harriet''s ring and this one is quite different. I''d be ecstatic if it looked like hers since it''s gorgeous even though I''d wanted a smaller halo. The split shank is much shorter so I do not know how visible it is from the front. From the photo, it doesn''t look promising.
I have to accept delivery of this ring, if not I won''t have a chance to see it. I will contact Leon again after I see it, but I do not think I will have much recourse.

LovingDiamonds
Thank you for your suggestions.
1.You are probably right, the airline will stand out for me.
2.Leon will not remake the setting
3.I did not specify the length of the split. I think it would be barely visible. I have a hand pic (not mine) but its too huge to post.

tourmaline_lover
Thank you for your support. I was a huge fan of Leon''s for many years, I was shocked when I received these photos and felt really let down after talking to him. When everything goes well, he truly is the master, but when it doesn''t,
7.gif

I really want to give this ring a chance, but since Leon will not re-make it, if I don''t like it, I will probably remove my stone.

Allison D.
I did not want a copy of Harriet''s ring. I wanted smaller diamonds in the halo so that the proportion looks closer to the Tiffany rings. This is clearly stated in the work order. If this was not workable, Leon should have let me know earlier. I am crossing my fingers though that I will like the ring when I see it.

LaurenThePartier
My first halo ring from Leon does have an airline but it is tiny. I do not have an issue with an airline per se. I understand the design/stone sometimes necessitates an airline. My problem is that the airline on this ring is big and uneven.
8.gif

Up till now, Leon has been nice to me, I had not seen the bad behavior he has shown some PSers.

fierypyropixy
I will not be able to return the ring even if I find that it really is not what I wanted after seeing it IRL.

Michael_E
Thank you for weighing in.
Harriet''s ring does have an airline, but it is much smaller than this ring. I do know that the Tiffany rings are bezel set. They were used to illustrate the center stone to halo proportion I wanted.
If durability was a factor, I would have expected Leon to tell me so, he''s not shy about making his opinions known. A smaller halo was something I specifically asked for and this request was put onto the work order. So per Leon''s logic, this was a design element that was important to me. If it couldn''t be done, I would have liked to be informed.
I rarely use my loupe, I am not anal that way. Most of the time as long as it looks nice, I''m happy.

So, in summary for now, if no new posts have been posted since I started writing this long reply.

Harriet''s ring has an airline.
I did not ask for an exact copy of her ring.
My other Leon halo ring has an airline, I am not against them at all.
The airline on this ring is substantial and uneven in the photos. The setting does not look like a good fit for this stone.
I will be seeing this ring, I would like to give it a chance.

Boom

Shiny_Rock
I see more posts have come up, but I have to get out of bed in less than 3 hours, so I''ll just post the hand pic Leon sent. The one he sent was huge (but that is what I''ll see without a loupe), once I sized it down, it wasn''t very clear. I''ll post both sizes cropped. You can also see how the split shanks are almost invisible.

Thank you everyone who gave your opinions, I really appreciate them.

springh.jpg

springhb.jpg

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Boon - those photos show two things (the long range shot anyway) (1) the air line isn''t apparent at normal arm''s length. That''s good news but I know you want to be able to hold the ring to you and feel happy with it in every way (2) the split shank doesn''t show at all. I would definitely have an issue with that. If you''ve asked for a split shank then it should be visible - not just from the side.

I do hope that when it arrives you are happier with it than you are now. Look at it this way, you can''t be any more unhappier with it than you are now so hopefully, it''ll come out of the bubble wrap and will be a pleasant surprise. xxx

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
Boom - At this point I agree with others and with you. The airline is noticeable, to the point that it can be seen even in the far away shot you just posted. You should not have to specify not wanting an airline, especially one that large. It is a custom ring and should be tailored to your stone. You also specified smaller stones in the halo and this is clearly not done. From the most recent photo the split shank is rather invisible. I''m sorry that this has happened to you. Based on previous threads and now this one I''m happy I won''t ever have to think of doing business with him. I''d be fighting for my money back.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Boom,
I can’t make out the split shank at all in the “life size” picture.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Boom,
It looks like a single shank ring. Please get your money back. The workmanship and proportions are not up to parr for a "Leon Masterpiece." I can see the airline as well.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/23/2009 12:11:15 PM
Thanks TL!
Unfortunately Leon does not accept credit cards. It''s either wire transfer or checks.
I just saw this, and I would like to know what century this man lives in? I''m sorry, but not to accept credit cards for high priced jewelry items is just ridiculous. There is consumer protection with credit cards, and just from that fact, I would not be obliged to do business with him. Okay, I''m getting off my soapbox (for now!).

Liane

Brilliant_Rock
Oh, what a mess. It''s a very pretty ring, but it''s so clearly not what you asked for -- it''s really not even close -- and his behavior to you is just unacceptable. Reading this thread has been like sitting through a horror show. Not because of the ring (again, I think it''s lovely, but not what you asked for), but because of how you''ve been treated throughout all this. Even if the ring was perfect, after all that, how could you wear it and not have those bad memories in the back of your mind?

Am I wrong in inferring that you''re a repeat customer of Leon''s, too? That''s even worse, to treat someone who came back to him for a second ring like that! Way to reward customer loyalty, especially on high-ticket stuff.
20.gif

I can only offer you my sympathies and second what everyone else has said in this thread. I''m so sorry you had to go through this.

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/23/2009 5:14:46 PM
Author: Liane
Oh, what a mess. It''s a very pretty ring, but it''s so clearly not what you asked for -- it''s really not even close -- and his behavior to you is just unacceptable. Reading this thread has been like sitting through a horror show. Not because of the ring (again, I think it''s lovely, but not what you asked for), but because of how you''ve been treated throughout all this. Even if the ring was perfect, after all that, how could you wear it and not have those bad memories in the back of your mind?

Am I wrong in inferring that you''re a repeat customer of Leon''s, too? That''s even worse, to treat someone who came back to him for a second ring like that! Way to reward customer loyalty, especially on high-ticket stuff.
20.gif

I can only offer you my sympathies and second what everyone else has said in this thread. I''m so sorry you had to go through this.
Liane, unless Boom has more pieces I haven''t seen, this will be her 4th Leon. Her Asscher halo, round solitaire, and a lovely pink eternity band.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results